U.S. Ladies [#21]: Wrapped Up with a Neat Little BOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frida80

I agree that Mirai did not come across very well, but I’m willing to cut her some slack here. I do think the team event changes the typical preparation for the individual conpetition in ways that some of the skaters weren’t prepared for, particularly when they have a knock-out performance in the team event. We saw it 4 years ago with Lipnitskaya as well.

Over the last seven years, I found myself following hundreds of young skaters as these rose through the ranks. Somethings are completely normal in the grand scheme of things.

During that team competition, Italy was closing fast. They pairs and men had done better than expected. The point gap was already narrow and I estimated that Carolina would add 3 points meaning that if the Italy dance team over performed they would have to chance to take bronze. I was sweating bullets since the Italian team had beaten the Shibs in the FS in the GPF. Knowing that, the team told Mirai they needed her to go out there and help the team. She went out there and pour all her energy into that skate, making history with eight clean triples. As a result, the gap was too large to over come and the Shibutani could skate easy.

That high of being instrumental to a team’s Olympic medal is so hard to come down from. As is nailing your first 3A and a clean 8 triple program. Mirai has winners head. Which means, you next competion is weaker with more mistakes. Coupled that with all this hyping and expectations her result was expected.

Poor Yulia went through it too. Russia wanted gold and she delivered two incredible programs. It’s too much to come down from after only a week.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Here's Wagner's SB compared to the U.S. ladies' Olympic scores.

192.35 Tennell
186.54 Nagasu
185.65 Chen
183.94 Wagner

and compared to their SBs
204.10 Tennell
194.46 Nagasu
185.65 Chen
183.94 Wagner

I will be amazed if the U.S. keeps 3 spots at worlds, but last time it was practically a miracle that they got three, too, so this shouldn't be shocking.

olympic

I am so tired of fans and the press talking about pops like the skater just didn’t even try. Most pops are a result of trying too hard. Wanting it too bad. Rushing the take off. I would love for the US media and fans who are complaining to watch the entire FS event on the CBC feed. Listen to Kurt and Carol, notice the complete lack of snark, the intelligent analysis, and most importantly the complete respect they have for these athletes. Kurt lives every moment with each skater. He has been there when it is good and when it is very bad and he shows empathy, something that really seems to be, for the most part, lost in the American dialogue. These athletes work for their entire life to date to get to these games. They spend every waking moment cold, tired, hungry, and in pain. Think about that for a minute before you say they don’t want it badly enough, or that they didn’t fight.

I think a pop needs to be taken into context: Does the skater pop often, infrequently, hardly ever? If a skater pops frequently then that is something that needs to be urgently addressed. In the case of Mirai, she doesn’t pop much AFAIK. The Axel wasn’t wholly unexpected but the Lutz was a head scratcher. I was a little perplexed by her big smile after that poor skate, though. I would assume that she would want to do well in both the team and individual events and be disappointed at blowing this once in a lifetime shot. Then again, the smile and giggles after the LP were maybe a mask. IDK

ChiquitaBanana

Which could be interpreted a number of different ways. My point is that unless you have been in her shoes, you really have no idea what she has been through in the past two weeks let alone the past four years. She did her job here and she did it well. I do not understand why people feel the need to dissect every word and then cast them in the worst possible light.
She was not misquoted or quoted out of context. I understand she has a bubbly personality, but words can hurt, words weigh meaning. Nagasu is 24 years old and is not a new comer. That's why people react like this to what she said. And if she was taken otu of context or if we didn't understand the true meaning behind her words, she could simply make a note on Instragram saying she is sorry if she offended someone.

Frida80

I think a pop needs to be taken into context: Does the skater pop often, infrequently, hardly ever? If a skater pops frequently then that is something that needs to be urgently addressed. In the case of Mirai, she doesn’t pop much AFAIK. The Axel wasn’t wholly unexpected but the Lutz was a head scratcher. I was a little perplexed by her big smile after that poor skate, though. I would assume that she would want to do well in both the team and individual events and be disappointed at blowing this once in a lifetime shot. Then again, the smile and giggles after the LP were maybe a mask. IDK

Adam told her to smile. I think she was mentally spent by that point. Pops often are from mental fatigue. Two days ago she was crying in her interview because she though she let her country down. I can’t judge her for just this moment.

RockTheTassel

We've criticized Gracie, Ashley, Courtney, and others for saying less than classy remarks. I agree that some of the articles are harsh; however, I don't know why some are so willing to give Mirai a pass here. Yes, she's tired and there's pressure, but there's still a certain standard to uphold when speaking to media. Even if she did comfort Gabby earlier, bringing up her failure wasn't a good thing to say. Taking credit for "saving" the team medal (which isn't even really true) doesn't show respect for your teammates. And no, this was not an audition for DWTS. This was the Olympics. Something that many -- including Mirai and her family -- sacrificed and worked hard to participate in. I don't care if it wasn't a great performance. Still treat the opportunity with respect.

I like Mirai. I'm sure she didn't mean any harm. But this interview was tone deaf, and she does deserve to be called out for her remarks.

Frida80

I’m willing to give her a pass because I gave all those other ladies passes. Although nothing tops Ashley using the g-Word. It was just after she skated. Her interviews today are more coherent. I doubt she even remembers what she said.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I gotta be honest. I’m super pissed at the U.S. ladies for flouncing and bouncing all over the singles event at the Olympics.

I can kind of forgive Bradie a little bit because this is really her first major senior international...a big stage. She still managed to place ahead of veterans Nagasu and Chen. But Bradie has got to get good programs and choreography to move up (and get her consistency back on track).

Mirai was a huge disappointment. What happened to her after the team event? Did she lose shape during the wait for the singles competition? This was her second Olympics and I had hoped the team free was an indication she knew what to do and could handle the pressure having been to the Olympics before. She seemed to be kind of laughing her poor performance off which didn’t look good either.

Karen I really want to strangle. Always an excuse. This time it’s the boots again. Frankly she has not looked in good shape this year and even her spins, which were exceptional last year, didn’t look as good this season. Karen wasted so much precious training time choreographing and changing her programs all for what? A mediocre Olympic result? At Nationals I thought Ashley should have had the bronze on the strength of the second mark and she should have been in Pyeongchang instead of Karen. Ashley would likely have mesmerized with her La La Land like Adam did with his mature skating, even though she was an unlikely medalist.

And don’t get me going on USFS who greatly contributed to the state of our ladies by being an old institution asleep at the wheel as US ladies competitiveness and depth of the field continued to decline.

US is going to be back to only two US ladies if two of these ladies don’t dramatically improve their positions at Worlds next month.

O.k. rant over :angryfire

I was wondering why Mirai was all giggles after her skate too.. I thought a bit weird...

Karen... well if you have read my other posts... I can't even get started.... I just dont understand why usfsa gifted her with ridiculous score at Nats.. because THAT ISNT THE REAL world.....

And say what? she wanted us to go into Prayers in the 11th hour????? Girl, for real?????

At least with Ash all we woulda gotten was a downgrade and maybe a second one of the last lutz with a score in free around 129-137.

Frida80

I was wondering why Mirai was all giggles after her skate too.. I thought a bit weird...

Karen... well if you have read my other posts... I can't even get started.... I just dont understand why usfsa gifted her with ridiculous score at Nats.. because THAT ISNT THE REAL world.....

And say what? she wanted us to go into Prayers in the 11th hour????? Girl, for real?????

At least with Ash all we woulda gotten was a downgrade and maybe a second one of the last lutz with a score in free around 129-137.

Unintended giddiness is just a defensive psychological response to stress. Lots of people laugh in unexpected situations.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Here's Wagner's SB compared to the U.S. ladies' Olympic scores.

192.35 Tennell
186.54 Nagasu
185.65 Chen
183.94 Wagner

and compared to their SBs
204.10 Tennell
194.46 Nagasu
185.65 Chen
183.94 Wagner

I will be amazed if the U.S. keeps 3 spots at worlds, but last time it was practically a miracle that they got three, too, so this shouldn't be shocking.

Um all Ashley had to go on for this was ONE event she did, SC.

International judges wouldn't assign her PCS that low they way USA judges did to keep her off. They saw more value in a Karen program-hopping and boot complaining..

I also dont think Ash woulda tweeted 1 hour before her program for us to go into Prayer.

just sayin.

Very frustrating for ANL because I knew in January this would 99% be the result for The Olys.

zigzig

I’m willing to give her a pass because I gave all those other ladies passes. Although nothing tops Ashley using the g-Word. It was just after she skated. Her interviews today are more coherent. I doubt she even remembers what she said.

What interview was this? What’s the g-word?

oleada

I normally find Mirai’s comments really endearing and amusing but these are just bizarre. I don’t really mind the Dancing with the Stars comment too much, because hey, whatever you need to think to get yourself to perform. But I think throwing a competitor who had a bad skate under the bus like she did with Daleman is totally unnecessary and classless.

RockTheTassel

I shouldn’t have said anything.

Wait... what does that even mean?

It means don't bring up something vague/controversial on FSU and expect to drop the subject just like that.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the Ashley/G-word thing and it appears others don't either. But if you don't want to explain, then that's fine.

Frida80

It means don't bring up something vague/controversial on FSU and expect to drop the subject just like that.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the Ashley/G-word thing and it appears others don't either. But if you don't want to explain, then that's fine.

Sorry, but Ashley is one of my favorites. I don’t like saying bad things about any skater, especially when she’s at such a point. I’m super protective of all of them, as you can see. So, I really shouldn’t have said anything about that one time thing. Sorry, but you won’t be getting anything more.

UGG

Ashley said she felt “gypt” in regards to her scores in 2014, obviously without understanding the origins of the word.

Willin

@Aerobicidal Yeah, I had no idea what the origin of that word was until this year! It's one of those words that started racist and then became such a normal part of the vocabulary that people forgot it was racist.

I think Mirai was trying to be funny a la Adam, but slipped up. I think part of it was that Adam only directed things towards himself, not others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information