U.S. Ladies [#20]: In a Week, Maybe Two, They'll Make You a Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellanca

Actually, I think the more appropriate question should be why the desire or need to knock down a skater's accomplishments done quickly in their career, or, in some cases, many years later? Where does it state that a skater MUST do a certain amount of competing? It doesn't. It is the skater's choice and only the skater's choice to move on to other opportunities or continue to compete. No one truly knows what is best for any athlete except for the athlete themselves. Fan's certainly don't. ;) Tar and feather away, but, remember, it is the skater's life, the skater's choice, their decision. Success in sports can occur suddenly ... or take its time. How long a skater decides to compete is a personal decision that should not be automatically categorized or assigned as a selfish one.

Dobre

Ma and Cui only scored 45.55 in the SP at nationals. The cut-off for making the LP at the 2017 junior worlds was 44.66. :slinkaway

Both Ma & Cui are much better than that. Cui did a gorgeous triple, triple rippon combo during the SP warm-up at Nationals and left it on the table (10 points she had for it at the JGP in Brisbane). She was really one of the two favorites heading into Junior Nationals, as demonstrated by her relatively massive comeback in the free. And Emmy was essentially better than Nationals all season. (Don't know what happened there. I'm a bit worried but hope she's past it. It was her first senior nationals). Based on last season, the short should be her strength.

I would have liked to see Starr go to Junior Worlds. She got the experience last year, and it would be nice to see her pay it forward, so to speak. But "That's Life." Hope she has a great experience at 4CCs.

If the Junior Worlds girls muck it up, they muck it up. The fact that three junior competitors outscored all the junior age-eligible ladies--excepting Starr--in the senior event shows that the youngsters are scrappy at least. They'll survive.

Note: What happened to Kaitlyn's triple+triple combo at Nationals? It was MIA. Has she been injured?

Last edited:

Maximillian

RIP TA
So happy that Angela Wang gets to compete again! Is this her first 4CC? I've always been a fan of her smooth, beautiful skating and thought this years Nats. was a big step in the right direction in being able to keep it together. She's been around a while so I'm not sure she'll keep going after this season, so it's nice that she gets another shot to compete.

Sylvia

TBD
So happy that Angela Wang gets to compete again! Is this her first 4CC?
Yes, her first ISU Championships competition. :)

ETA:
Note: What happened to Kaitlyn's triple+triple combo at Nationals? It was MIA. Has she been injured?
Kaitlyn Nguyen switched coaches to Tiffany Chin before Sectionals (she also worked with Charlene Wong before Nationals) and yes, I believe she was dealing with some sort of an injury (hearsay).

Last edited:

insideedgeua

So happy that Angela Wang gets to compete again! Is this her first 4CC? I've always been a fan of her smooth, beautiful skating and thought this years Nats. was a big step in the right direction in being able to keep it together. She's been around a while so I'm not sure she'll keep going after this season, so it's nice that she gets another shot to compete.

This is Angela’s first 4CC and she’s only 21 so I really hope she will stick around for another 4 years.

Carolla5501

Wow... so much shade in this comment. ;)

Yes. Starr is doing 4CC and most likely using her National layout. It's easier to max out her placement.

I am not trying to throw shade. I honestly think this program is flopping is hurting people. I think it may have cost Ashley and Olympic spot. I’m being very honest in that to me it’s a bad idea. And I’m not sure it’s actually working. It did work for Karen, but she went back to an old program and didn’t add yet another one. But it didn’t work for Ashley or the Shibs changing their program late. And asking a young lady to learn and keep straight 2 programs that close together might be problematic

I think it’s a smart decision by her team

Last edited:

VGThuy

The Shibs were fine until an uncharacteristic stumble on footwork they had since at least weeks before Skate America. Whatever changes they made were par for the course that most ice dancers make throughout the season. It’s not like the Shibs created a new program.

Carolla5501

The Shibs were fine until an uncharacteristic stumble on footwork they had since at least weeks before Skate America. Whatever changes they made were par for the course that most ice dancers make throughout the season. It’s not like the Shibs created a new program.

I don't think they were "fine". I felt like I was watching a Program still in progress

VGThuy

I don't think they were "fine". I felt like I was watching a Program still in progress

Well, that's your opinion but the program didn't change much from the GP, so they didn't change their program to the extent that Ashley did (she changed her entire LP with new music) which was the whole point of your post. Opinions aside, they would have won Nationals without that stumble since they lost by 0.20 points with a stumble and losing at least 4-5 points because of it.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
You know, if they don't feel they can focus 100% on 4CCs but still wanted to go, it is rather generous to let others have the chance at raising (or obtaining!) their scores and earning placement points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information