U.S. Ladies [#20]: In a Week, Maybe Two, They'll Make You a Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willin

@analia A couple of years ago that would've been stupid, as only a select few junior skaters got international assignments - particularly on the JGP. Now they're giving a lot more Junior - and even Novice (I think one Intermediate man from last year got a Novice international as well?) - skaters international competitions so they can build their resume both internationally and for national selection committees.

Let's move the Ross talk over to the Ross thread...

As for Ashley, I think she might get Worlds. I have no idea who on that Olympic team would withdraw from worlds (none of them seems the type to do so), but it does tend to happen. I don't know why I'm surprised she withdrew from 4CC - maybe because in her Today show interview she said she was training for a competition and I assumed that was 4CC? I do think she is planning to go to Pyeongchang - if not as an athlete, as a brand ambassador or NBC fluff piece correspondent. She is, after all, a great interview. (And she'll definitely want to see her fellow Team USA members compete - particularly Adam and Madison C)

aml78

I think it would only be a smart move to go if she believed she could do well there. But she knows now that she can't count on the international judges to hold her up with inflated PCS.

I don’t think she knows anything. I can’t even imagine how hard it would be to get back to training after the let down of not making the team. Everyone’s jumping on her for saying on Today she was training for 4CC. Maybe at that point she really thought she was going. Maybe when she got home she realized she wasnt going to be able to pull it together and wanted to give the opportunity to someone who would really benefit from going. Let’s be real. She’s at the end of her career. She can give her spot to someone who will truly benefit from going. And I can’t imagine that Raf can dedicate a ton of time to her right now with Nathan and Adam prepping for the Olympics. The amount of hate and shade and negative assumptions here are amazing.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I don't hold out a lot of hope that the US ladies will be able to grab back a full slate of JGP slots and 3 Jr Worlds slots for next year, but it is possible if Ting and Emmy can put out the best they're capable of.

I'm more concerned with not being the 4th best country to get 7 spots (CHN, UKR, GER and SUI, depending on who they send, could potentially beat this team), or worse, dropping out of the top 12 and going down to one jr. world spot, or at the very worst, not making it out of the SP. Ma and Cui only scored 45.55 in the SP at nationals. The cut-off for making the LP at the 2017 junior worlds was 44.66. :slinkaway

jiejie

I'm more concerned with not being the 4th best country to get 7 spots (CHN, UKR, GER and SUI, depending on who they send, could potentially beat this team), or worse, dropping out of the top 12 and going down to one jr. world spot, or at the very worst, not making it out of the SP. Ma and Cui only scored 45.55 in the SP at nationals. The cut-off for making the LP at the 2017 junior worlds was 44.66. :slinkaway

The Russians and Japanese are essentially unbeatable this year. The USA will need help from the Koreans to get the third highest country designation. I'm not too worried about the other four countries you mention, as they tend to be as inconsistent as the two US skaters. I wouldn't put too much stock in the National's SP scores but would look at the internationals. Emmy's SP at her two JGP's were nearly 60 and her bad one was 52. She didn't have a great SP at her first senior outing--Golden Spin. Ting's only JGP was 55.34 for the SP. I'm not too worried about them not making it out of the SP. Emmy's one of the most beautiful Jr skaters this season, but lack of a 3-3 is a vulnerability. Both of them need to skate big and clean. But I'm not sure any other USA Jr-eligible lady (including Starr) is any more of a slam-dunk--it's all a crapshoot.

analia

Why is it funny and ridiculous? Please explain....

All I'm saying is that I don't understand why Nationals placement does not even lead to WJC assignments. Emmy Ma won one bronze in the jgp circuit and that seems to be her ticket to WJC. Both Harrell and Hong scored higher than her at Nationals. A competition is a competition and it should matter? I believe they sent Bradie Tennell to WJC twice based on nationals placement alone. This year's selection seems all wonky. I personally don't agree with the Rippon selection at all and this just confuses me even more.

jlai

Question everything
I do think the issue with any weighting (if they are adding any) is that they don't take into account a downward (or upward trend). Ma hasn't done that greatly since that bronze and the criteria don't take that into consideration. I would say Hannah Harrell should be next. Not that she is consistent; she usually misses some but also hits some.

tylersf

"screwy selection" AND "fist alternate"...Vagabond, again don't tease ;)

I don't think many people aren't baffled why he isn't on the Olympic Team. They are baffled by (1) why the USFSA uses screwy selection criteria and (2) why Jason Brown is the fist alternate and Ross Miner is the second alternate.

tylersf

I wish they would bring back "Skating With The Stars". Nancy Kerrigan was so irritated with Dave Coulier, because he would skate with Hockey Skates.

Again, I want Ashley, Johnny, Tara, Adam & Jason on a show together. That's Entertainment.

Frida80

As has been posted several times in this thread, the triple lutz is a required jump in Juniors this season, and she flutzes.

There are one other thing. Starr needs to score as high as score as possible to be placed on the alternates list. (top 25 is probably out of her reach) 4CC would be the best place to do it. She wouldn't have to do the lutz, and potentially lower her own score. And she could put all her focus into getting a high score there rather than splitting her time training another FS for JW.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow.... really???

and why did Starr withdraw?

Starr is assigned to 4CCs. It makes sense for her to concentrate on her senior international debut instead of also going back to compete at a Junior comp she attended last season. She probably feels like she's made a successful step in seniors with her performances at Nationals, and it's time to keep moving forward.

barbk

FWIW, pre-COP, it was very, very hard for a woman to score well internationally at the senior level if she lacked a triple lutz, and the same for a man who lacked a triple axel. Having the full range of jumps was close to a requirement. Lots of women crashed into the lutz corner as they got panicked looks in their eyes and waited and waited for the moment to try it. Canada's Jennifer Robinson was one of the worst with this, and I was tremendously impressed when she finally really owned that jump after many, many failed outings.

NAOTMAA

Junior programs still have required jump elements. Other than an axel-type jump, senior programs just specify jumps/jump combinations of certain minimum revolution requirements.

The required SP jump for juniors changes from year-to-year.

and if you stink at a certain jump that is required your likely doomed :lol:

It's interesting because I suppose the rule is used so skaters become more rounded in their jump content (otherwise what's the point of it :confused:) yet when seeing the senior skaters it clearly didn't work :lol:

UGG

Why on Earth would Ross or Ashley do this other than to set themselves up to announce a retirement?

True competitors would accept and go represent their country (if healthy). This does not support the notion that either Ross or Ashley are really competitors for their country (as opposed to just themselves).
Ashley has done more than enough for the US ladies the last 10 years. What do you think of Sarah and Tara who won Olympic gold at 16 and 15 and we never saw them again?

Perhaps Ashley jut feels she has reached her goals. She doesn’t owe anyone anything

Vagabond

Ashley has done more than enough for the US ladies the last 10 years. What do you think of Sarah and Tara who won Olympic gold at 16 and 15 and we never saw them again?
Sarah Hughes competed for another season after winning the OGM.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
But she didn't contribute to earning spots for 2004, if we are being blunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information