U.S. Ladies [#20]: In a Week, Maybe Two, They'll Make You a Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Since all WS points up to the OWG count, Nagasu is not guaranteed a place in the last SP group: Zagitova, Higuchi, and Kostner will earn incremental GPF points for showing up to GPF, Zagitova's and Kostner's Euros points will be counted in full, Tursynbaeva could earn enough incremental points at Euros, however the longshot, Japan could send at least part of its Olympic team to a 4C's in Taipei and Hongo, Mihara, and/or Higuchi could pass her easily with 4C's or incremental 4C's points, etc.

On the other hand, since it's highly unlikely at this point that the Russian Ladies Team will be Medvedeva, Sotskova, and Pogorilaya, all three of their WS won't be part of the equation.

Last edited:

Frida80

Since all WS points up to the OWG count, Nagasu is not guaranteed a place in the last SP group: Zagitova, Higuchi, and Kostner will earn incremental GPF points for showing up to GPF, Zagitova's and Kostner's Euros points will be counted in full, Tursynbaeva could earn enough incremental points at Euros, however the longshot, Japan could send at least part of its Olympic team to a 4C's in Taipei and Hongo, Mihara, and/or Higuchi could pass her easily with 4C's or incremental 4C's points, etc.

On the other hand, it's highly unlikely at this point that the Russian Ladies Team will be Medvedeva, Sotskova, and Pogorilaya, their WS won't be part of the equation.

Tursynbaeva is not representing a European country. She would compete at 4CC.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Tursynbaeva is not representing a European country. She would compete at 4CC.
Of course :duh:

Which would give her a better chance at points than at Euros, where she'd face three Russian ladies and Kostner, whereas the only US and Canadian Ladies with a higher SB than Tursynbaeva are favorites for their Olympic teams and won't be there if they do make them: Osmond and (post SA favorite) Tennell.

The current SB list is pretty dire: There are only three Ladies in the Top 30 SB list so far who aren't from RUS, USA, CAN, or JPN: Kostner (5), Tursynbaeva (13), and not-age-eligible Lim (30). After that, it's Choi (41) and Yoo (42) from KOR, X. Li (43) from CHN, and then Schott (46) and Meite (47) as the next European Ladies after a slew of Russian Ladies and Kostner.

wickedwitch

Super excited for both Emmy and Hannah!

But I'm a tad surprised that Tessa Hong wasn't given the slot. I guess it's because she has her 4CC minimums already.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
OK, well glad they are sending replacements..

OK, so I am curious to see the recent hype regarding Hannah.. can someone just paste in the link to her most recent competition? Thanks y'all

Sylvia

TBD
OK, so I am curious to see the recent hype regarding Hannah.. can someone just paste in the link to her most recent competition?
I'm not aware of any "hype" -- some fans were pleased to see her skate well to win Midwestern Sectionals (videos are on IceNetwork for season pass subscribers) last month. It's been a long road back from injury for Hannah, and the fact that she was able to skate a clean SP (2A, 3F, 3T+2T) and was credited with with landing 5 of her 6 triples in her FS (final 3S was called <) was a good result/solid showing for her at Sectionals.

ETA:

Posted in the previous U.S. Ladies thread on Nov. 19:
Of what I've watched, Hannah's LP was the highlight of sectionals for me. I would like to see USFS give her Golden Spin, but I doubt they will.
:D

skatfan

Both Bradie & Karen have elected not to compete at Golden Spin.

USFS was able to add Emmy Ma and Hannah Miller to replace them: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108255.htm

Both need ISU senior minimums (first senior international for Emmy & Hannah hasn't competed internationally in 2 years) so this is a great opportunity for both of them. :)

Yeah, Bradie is probably now super focused on US Nationals, where she has a pretty chance of getting a Oly spot. Karen Chen is better off not having a bad competition and simply training her jumps and programs. Glad for the other two ladies!

Jammers

I want to sit our US ladies down and make them watch this on a loop for motivation: https://youtu.be/LinqPGZPqUw

The U.S. didn't have a prayer against the GDR machine, but anything is possible with passion, anger and a determination to never let go. I hope our ladies continue to develop that mindset

The video is a bit long but one of the most amazing sports events IMO
One of the greatest moments in Olympic history our girls beating roided up East German girls who were almost as big as some of the men. Even the Russians were rooting for the US girls and being in Canada the US ladies had a lot of people cheering for them that weren't american.

GreatLakesGal

I was encouraged by Karen's FS performance in Lake Placid and I think she could benefit from one more competition before Nationals (she competed at Golden Spin last year and placed 7th). I don't think Bradie needs another competition before Nationals. Starr Andrews is also going to Golden Spin (her ISU Challenger debut).

I also don't think Bradie needs another competition before Nationals. Not only were her jumps at Skate America impressive but so were all those difficult transitions (I think she should have placed ahead of Gabby in the SP). The Brits commentating on her seemed genuinely gobsmacked that an American woman is technically on par with the Russian ladies. :)

FSfan107

I'm happy Emmy and Hannah are getting the chance to compete at Golden Spin. I don't think it was necessary for Bradie to compete but I was hoping Karen got another competition in before Nationals. She probably hasn't had time to train as much as she would have liked this week with the book promotion.

I'm interested to see what Ashley's big changes are!

Willin

@petro @floridaice I was thinking a new competition dress.

Seriously though how does she afford all those dresses? I wonder if Lisa McKinnon does Ashley's for free promotion or something? Those can't be cheap.

kwanatic

New dress or hair color aren't big changes...those are minor tweaks. :D

I'm kinda hoping she does go with La La Land. I never saw the movie and I don't know any of the music either, but I do think Ashley needs to come out looking like a brand new skater at nationals if she wants to keep herself in the mix. A new program could definitely help that.

It would be risky to debut something new at such a pressure filled event but it's been done before. Ashley needs to come up big at nationals. The only way to prove she's still that "it" girl she worked so hard to be is to come out on fire and leave no doubt in anyone's mind that she deserves to be on that podium at nationals.

It'd be pretty heartbreaking to see her left off of the team but I don't think the USFSA would bump someone for her...not again...especially if that someone outskates her.

This is Ashley's last hoorah so I say she betta BRANG IT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information