U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

Trillian

Per KH instagram. JLB is recovering from a concussion and they have every intention of returning.

I’m sorry he’s dealing with that, but honestly relieved that it doesn’t sound like anything has derailed Kaitlin’s recovery given what a long road that has been for her. Also encouraged by the tone that suggests they are itching to get back to competition when they can. They should be proud of their careers no matter what, because their performances have definitely transcended their results. But I hope ultimately they’re able to keep competing until whenever they’re ready to retire on their own terms - whether that’s next year or sometime far in the future.

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
Honestly, I'm relieved that it's Jean-Luc and not Kaitlin who is injured. I don't know if they would be resilient enough to come back again if it was another injury for her.

Hoping to see them healthy and skating great at Nats!

Last edited:

topaz

Very interesting competion for US dance teams at Skate Canada. Not sure who is going to come out on top. My guess would be the Browns but Z/K are good skaters. Pate/Bye have Igor's politics behind them.

Karen-W

Very interesting competion for US dance teams at Skate Canada. Not sure who is going to come out on top. My guess would be the Browns but Z/K are good skaters. Pate/Bye have Igor's politics behind them.
ZingKol have Igor's politicking behind them too. I'd bet on the Browns being last of the 3 US teams.

SidelineSkater

z/g, p/b, browns in that order

Yep. The Browns are about 10 points lower than Z/K’s seasons best score. And maybe 14 or so points lower than P/B from Autumn Classic. I know you can't compare scores across comps, but the Browns score was from last weekend. Although I'd love a spoiler from the Browns! Seeing Z/G reminded me of Tiffany and Jonathan.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Yep. The Browns are about 10 points lower than Z/G's seasons best score. And maybe 14 or so points lower than P/B from Autumn Classic. I know you can't compare scores across comps, but the Browns score was from last weekend. Although I'd love a spoiler from the Browns! Typing Z/G reminded me of Tiffany and Jonathan.
Well, that's because it's Z/K not Z/G...

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Yep. The Browns are about 10 points lower than Z/G's seasons best score. And maybe 14 or so points lower than P/B from Autumn Classic. I know you can't compare scores across comps, but the Browns score was from last weekend. Although I'd love a spoiler from the Browns! Typing Z/G reminded me of Tiffany and Jonathan.
I will be surprised if p/b get anywhere near that Autumn Classic score though tbh but stranger things have happened

barbarafan

Kaitlin sounded pretty upbeat about the coming season in that podcast interview a few weeks ago. This could just be a temporary setback/injury that may resolve by Nats.
That is what they said.....Jean Luc got a slight concussion so in due diligence they are dealing with it taking all precautions and no chances. Such a fantastic team. We will have to be patient a bit longer to enjoy their brilliance.

Ena Grins

My first time watching Zingas/Kolesnik this season. I was impressed at last year's Nationals, I'm shocked in the best way today. I can't really comment on the scores yet without watching back but she really is an incredible dancer and performer.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m still waiting to decide on Zingas…because I remember how she was “faking” for Cyprus and took away the 2021 Nebelhorn spot from the then-superior Kitromilis, who had just won the CS Autumn Classic.

That aside, I found nothing special with Z/K’s Beauty and the Beast FD this season. The RD is better.

G/P and the Browns are the best choices to become US 2 & 3, behind C/B (if H/B done, which I hope not).

Trillian

I’m still waiting to decide on Zingas…because I remember how she was “faking” for Cyprus and took away the 2021 Nebelhorn spot from the then-superior Kitromilis, who had just won the CS Autumn Classic.

Zingas and Kitromilis (who are both American-born with Cypriot heritage) began competing internationally for Cyprus in the same season, 2020-21. Zingas had significantly better results, including at least one head-to-head, and qualified the first Worlds spot for Cyprus. Autumn Classic happened a few weeks after Nebelhorn entries were due, and it was the first time Kitromilis ever posted significantly higher scores than Zingas. So your argument here is that the Cypriot federation should have yanked Zingas, who had qualified for Worlds the prior season, two weeks in advance of Nebelhorn because she got outskated one time by a skater she’d beaten in the past.

Totally fine if that’s your opinion, but seems like a weird reason to hold a grudge two years later against a skater who didn’t make the decision and who’s now competing in a different discipline for a different country.

Frau Muller

Zingas and Kitromilis (who are both American-born with Cypriot heritage) began competing internationally for Cyprus in the same season, 2020-21. Zingas had significantly better results, including at least one head-to-head, and qualified the first Worlds spot for Cyprus. Autumn Classic happened a few weeks after Nebelhorn entries were due, and it was the first time Kitromilis ever posted significantly higher scores than Zingas. So your argument here is that the Cypriot federation should have yanked Zingas, who had qualified for Worlds the prior season, two weeks in advance of Nebelhorn because she got outskated one time by a skater she’d beaten in the past.

Totally fine if that’s your opinion, but seems like a weird reason to hold a grudge two years later against a skater who didn’t make the decision and who’s now competing in a different discipline for a different country.
I don’t forget easily. Period. (Because Tony loves my use of “Period”…ha ha!)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don’t forget easily. Period. (Because Tony loves my use of “Period”…ha ha!)
But you seem to have a comprehension problem with what was just written. Kitromilis was competing in the US qualifying system all the way through the 2020 season-- same as Zingas. So is she 'faking' it now too or was she faking it when she was competing with Zingas for Cyprus?

Frau Muller

But you seem to have a comprehension problem with what was just written. Kitromilis was competing in the US qualifying system all the way through the 2020 season-- same as Zingas. So is she 'faking' it now too or was she faking it when she was competing with Zingas for Cyprus?
Fake #1 has Rich Daddy to keep her in the Cypriot Top Roster!

Sylvia

TBD
Emilea & Vadym were quoted in Figure Skaters Online's "Stories from the Shark Tank" (2023 Nationals) about her switch to ice dance as follows:
“It feels like I have been dancing for a long time, but at the same time it feels like I just started last week,” the 20-year-old said after the rhythm dance. “It been like a really fast paced transition, almost like a crash course, but at the same time, our coaches have given me all the tools that I’ve needed to become an amazing ice dancer and I don’t think my transition is over yet. I think I’m still learning stuff every day.”
Zingas tested all of her dance patterns, starting with the preliminary patterns like the Dutch Waltz, in less than a year.
“She would literally in like 20 minutes come in learn the dance, and then test,” Kolesnik said. “I don’t know how she did it.”
“I wanted to get them done and I think it’s important just to have that,” said Zingas.

Karen-W

Well, I'll admit, I didn't see that result coming at SCI with the Browns ahead of both ZingKol and PateBye.

Yes, there were mistakes made by both of Shpilband's teams that contributed to their lower scores, but it certainly belies the notion that ZingKol are all but assured of beating every team not named ChoBat or HawBak at Nats in January.

It will be a lot different going into Nationals with huge expectations than it was last year as an unknown quantity for the most part. Additionally, I don't see IAM getting caught flat-footed again in the politicking required for their teams. They certainly weren't this weekend for the Browns, were they? ;)

layman

Well, I'll admit, I didn't see that result coming at SCI with the Browns ahead of both ZingKol and PateBye.

Yes, there were mistakes made by both of Shpilband's teams that contributed to their lower scores, but it certainly belies the notion that ZingKol are all but assured of beating every team not named ChoBat or HawBak at Nats in January.

It will be a lot different going into Nationals with huge expectations than it was last year as an unknown quantity for the most part. Additionally, I don't see IAM getting caught flat-footed again in the politicking required for their teams. They certainly weren't this weekend for the Browns, were they? ;)
It's ok. I forgive you. Lol. You were not alone either. People have been underestimating the Browns for as long as I can remember. They were not favored to win their World Junior Gold. They were not favored here, but they have a way of surprising both their fans and detractors. I don't think their good showing (here) had anything to do with politics (in fact just the opposite). The Browns are just that good.

Lacey

I thought the Browns' programs were much more "dancey" than those of both ZingKol and PateBye, I thought the latter two had programs with a lot of gimmicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information