U.S. Ice Dance 2022-23 news & updates

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
That sectional score versus the international score is cracking me up those sectional scores are wild
Me too! I think it's more than likely they'll score somewhere in the 170s once they get before an international panel.

skatfan

Sorry, sometimes I am too obscure. It’s to deliberately phrase an opinion in as disrespectful a manner as possible to maximize the provocation.
We got what you meant, and frankly it was completely out of line and inappropriate for a skating thread. Hence our confusion. But congrats on actually showing in your comment the very definition of what you accused another of!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
The depth in U.S. ice dance now is crazy!! It’s going to be an amazing event at Nationals. And probably the most competitive of all 4 senior disciplines.
I am sure hoping that my Peacock login works from Israel or that a VPN will work. This is a don’t-miss competition (that might take place in the middle of the night, maybe @TAHbKA wants to come over for a pajama party.)

Karen-W

China (mainly Team Heilongjiang) will send some junior ice dance pairs to compete in some international events.
Some ice dance pairs will attend the Santa Claus Cup at the end of this month.

Li Xuantong/ Wang XinKang and Chen Xizi /Xing Jianing will attend this event.
From the Chinese news thread - if you follow the weibo link and look at the screenshots of the junior and senior entry lists - the US is sending McNamara/Spiridonov in seniors and Neset/Markelov in juniors!

Andrea82

From the Chinese news thread - if you follow the weibo link and look at the screenshots of the junior and senior entry lists - the US is sending McNamara/Spiridonov in seniors and Neset/Markelov in juniors!

Makes sens for Neset/Markelov as they missed one JGP and therefore had less international exposure this season. I guess they probably intended to assign them to Golden Spin but then the junior events were cancelled.

Karen-W

kirkbiggestfan

I am late on the Hawayek story, but I was sitting behind the person that made that comment to her. What the news stories or Kaitlin don't say is that this person is obviously suffering from a mental illness. I heard that person say "inapropriate things" all week-end. The entourage kept apologizing. I understand that Kaitlin responded on instagram and it got viral. News organisations need to do their homework a little bit and put some context into it. Athletes get comments from fans all the time. It can obviously be very hurtful, but there is so much more to the quick story reported on instagram.

Karen-W

I am late on the Hawayek story, but I was sitting behind the person that made that comment to her. What the news stories or Kaitlin don't say is that this person is obviously suffering from a mental illness. I heard that person say "inapropriate things" all week-end. The entourage kept apologizing. I understand that Kaitlin responded on instagram and it got viral. News organisations need to do their homework a little bit and put some context into it. Athletes get comments from fans all the time. It can obviously be very hurtful, but there is so much more to the quick story reported on instagram.
What does the person's mental health have to do with Kaitlin addressing the larger issue of how and what we say to people regarding their weight or body type?

But, if we're going to bring that person's mental health into the discussion, then perhaps the entourage should reconsider where they take this person if they're going to spend the entire trip apologizing for inappropriate remarks from someone who, clearly, has no filter. Just because someone is an adult and has always enjoyed skating doesn't mean that they know how to behave in public anymore. We don't allow children to behave this way, why should we allow adults to get away with making rude comments?

Sylvia

TBD
Just a suggestion - maybe the discussion about what happened to Kaitlin Hawayek could be continued in this GSD thread? I've since re-posted/quoted the above comments here:

ETA:
Carreira/Ponomarenko, Pate/Bye, and Zingas/Kolesnik were assigned to Golden Spin. Based on the field, CPom would definitely be favorites to win. I'm very curious to see how Z/K score internationally. This would be P/B's third Challenger event of the season.
Golden Spin preliminary entries are posted in the ISU Challengers info thread (along with some chitchat pertaining to U.S. ice dance :)) here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ies-2022-23-season.109817/page-5#post-6338533

Last edited:

VGThuy

What does the person's mental health have to do with Kaitlin addressing the larger issue of how and what we say to people regarding their weight or body type?

But, if we're going to bring that person's mental health into the discussion, then perhaps the entourage should reconsider where they take this person if they're going to spend the entire trip apologizing for inappropriate remarks from someone who, clearly, has no filter. Just because someone is an adult and has always enjoyed skating doesn't mean that they know how to behave in public anymore. We don't allow children to behave this way, why should we allow adults to get away with making rude comments?

I have a brother like that. It's much more difficult to control an adult than a child, especially since we can't force him to take his medication. My family has tried to explain and instill proper public behavior to him, and sometimes it takes, but when he gets super stimulated or whatever, he can't control his impulses. We don't take him everywhere, but we can't just keep him imprisoned at home. In this situation, we would have probably tried to avoid having him meet with a skater, but if he really enjoyed something like that then I would try to tell him to behave and be kind and courteous. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Taking it away from skating because my brother would not be into that, but I'm imagining taking him to a basketball or football game and him having a rare opportunity to meet some of the athletes. It'll seem sort of cruel to take away all public activities from him, especially ones that he enjoys because he already has such limited opportunities due to his behavior. That being all said...

Of course, there are different levels and if the person in question truly cannot control their impulses that they will always say such things, then I would probably have to explain to him that he can't go to any events with us or meet people because he doesn't know how to behave properly. Then all hell will break loose and we will have to take whatever abuse he throws at us, but at least we can take it unlike strangers who don't know the situation and would be harmed by his behavior.

litenkyckling

To be honest - this just stigmatises people would with mental health problems. It’s not helpful.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I really think C/B's time is over, I would love to see H/B take over as our champions, not sure if they will make it to Olympic year but maybe. There are five teams I am following that I believe will define US ice dance for this next quad: Pate/Bye, CarPon, GrePar, Zing/Kol and Flores/Des. They are all young and strong and US dance is blessed to have such a group of talent upcoming. Future looks bright and I wish them all good health.

sap5

How do you know that this person has a mental illness? Did the "entourage" tell you this, or is this something you just assumed?

VGThuy

Chock/Bates have been competing for consecutive seasons for a long time, and not only that but had been competing as medal contenders for a long time. Evan just finished his fourth Olympics and had won Junior Worlds in 2008. Madison just finished her third Olympics and won junior Worlds in 2009. They've competing at Worlds since 2009 for Evan (with a break in 2011 and 2012) and 2011 for Madison (with a break in 2012 for her). They've started becoming medal contenders in the 2014-15 season and had qualified for the GPF every season since then except for the 2018-19 season where they took half a season off (but managed to compete at Nationals, 4CC, and Worlds) and of course the coming back from COVID 2020-2021 season where there was no GP season. They were doing that while having TOUGH domestic competition at all times with at least one other team competing for World and Olympic medals with them...during 2015(or 2016)-2018, they had two fellow U.S. teams who were world medal worthy that they had to compete against. That kind of pressure to be at your A game at all times is a lot.

If they look a bit tired, it's probably because they are and probably should have taken a break. However, I can see why they didn't because this season probably looked like their best season to win Worlds and ascertain if they could be gold medal contenders and hold on to that position going into 2026.

I'm not writing them off because they had rough GP seasons before and managed to come back from them. This team had been in favor, been dropped, gain that favor back, dropped a bit, then gained traction back so many times before, I don't see why they can't do it again. Their closest competitors are not much younger (if they are in fact any younger. I know Guignard/Fabbri are approximately the same age with maybe G/F a sliver older).

kirkbiggestfan

How do you know that this person has a mental illness? Did the "entourage" tell you this, or is this something you just assumed?
I did have a conversation with the family/entourage and have a lot of empathy for them. They were very caring and explained to me that this a lifetime figure skating fan and good person who's mental health has deteriorated. It was none of my business to go into details. When you sit through a figure skating competion for 3 days, you end up chatting with your neighbors. I am not stigmatizing anything or minimizing Kaitlin's story. I am just sharing a story that touched me.

My uncle has dementia (i know it isn't technically mental illness) and he became a mean person as a way to cope with things, so this kinda striked a cord as I could relate to this family.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I did have a conversation with the family/entourage and have a lot of empathy for them. They were very caring and explained to me that this a lifetime figure skating fan and good person who's mental health has deteriorated. It was none of my business to go into details. When you sit through a figure skating competion for 3 days, you end up chatting with your neighbors. I am not stigmatizing anything or minimizing Kaitlin's story. I am just sharing a story that touched me.

My uncle has dementia (i know it isn't technically mental illness) and he became a mean person as a way to cope with things, so this kinda striked a cord as I could relate to this family.
So not to minimize any sympathy for the family group dealing with this person's illness...but perhaps they, knowing the possible volatility involving this person and communication, should have had enough forethought to prevent interactions with competing skaters, as a means of limiting such negative comments from being made directly to any of them.

Karen-W

Santa Claus Cup entries are up and confirmed on the USFS' Int'l Assignments page. USFS is sending four teams! As previously noted, McNamara/Spiridonov (senior) and Neset/Markelov (junior). Also being sent are two teams in Advanced Novice - Sylvia Li/Rowan Le Coq and Annelise Strapert/Maxim Korotcov. How exciting for these two novice teams! And what a wonderful opportunity for McNamara/Spiridonov to help mentor the next generation of US ice dancers!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Santa Claus Cup entries are up and confirmed on the USFS' Int'l Assignments page. USFS is sending four teams! As previously noted, McNamara/Spiridonov (senior) and Neset/Markelov (junior). Also being sent are two teams in Advanced Novice - Sylvia Li/Rowan Le Coq and Annelise Strapert/Maxim Korotcov. How exciting for these two novice teams! And what a wonderful opportunity for McNamara/Spiridonov to help mentor the next generation of US ice dancers!

I feel like McNamara/Spiridonov have gotten 20 assignments this season even though I'm sure that's not true. Gotta respect that hustle.

Andrea82

McNamara/Spiridonov
1 GP
2 Challengers (US International, Nebelhorn)
2 B Internationals (Lake Placid, Santa Claus)

Pate/Bye
1 GP
3 Challengers (US International, Nepela, Golden Spin)
1 B Internationals (Lake Placid)

Wolfkostin/Chen
2 GPs
2 Challengers (US International, Budapest)

Bratti/Sommerville
1 GP
2 Challengers (Lombardia, IceChallenge)

With different combinations, McN/S, P/By and W/C will have 5 international outings. B/S are at 4

Karen-W

McNamara/Spiridonov
1 GP
2 Challengers (US International, Nebelhorn)
2 B Internationals (Lake Placid, Santa Claus)

Pate/Bye
1 GP
3 Challengers (US International, Nepela, Golden Spin)

Wolfkostin/Chen
2 GPs
2 Challengers (US International, Budapest)

Bratti/Sommerville
1 GP
2 Challengers (Lombardia, IceChallenge)

With different combinations, McN/S, P/By and W/C will have 5 international outings. B/S are at 4
The Browns are also sitting at 4 - 2 Challengers (Nepela & Budapest) and 2 GPs.

VGThuy

Green/Parsons and Chock/Bates win bronze and silver at NHK respectively. Kind of a rough outing in terms of base levels for both, but it was a tough panel and they both had late starts to their season.

Moving forward to Finland, do we expect Carreira/Ponomarenko and Hawayek/Baker to give the US the same results?

Jammers

C/B's best chance to win a World title was this season at the start of a new Olympic cycle but we all know many times that the skaters and teams that win World titles in the year after an Olympics often never get back there again as the field gets better with younger teams and skaters who end up bypassing them. Perhaps they are experiencing what Aaron Rodgers is in football and age is catching up to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information