U.S. Ice Dance 2016/17 season - news & updates

Dobre

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...cf08e0-4480-11e6-88d0-6adee48be8bc_story.html
This talks about McNamara/Carpenter and a pinch about the Parsons. I literally freaked out a pinch when I saw the article.

It's a good article. It says that previously Novak & Kiliakov had worked with high-level competitive teams, but never with children. And talks a lot about how working with children--growing them with their style of technique--is their main focus. That they are very selective about who they take, rejecting more athletes than not. That having athletes who are really committed is important. And that they are focused on growing the academy locally rather than internationally.

It just sounds to me like they are focused on young, local dance teams and growing them within their own rink. This is a different focus from many programs.

They are sharing their own philosophy about coaching.

All coaches have their own focus. Marina is known for her focus on choreography, music, and senior dancers. Igor has a big focus on technique and recruitment. (A talented young athlete pops up at U.S. nationals and he's watching. The next year they're in his rink). He's also focused on using international connections to put together talented athletes. Neither of these coaches is out there with teams trying to win U.S. juveniles/intermediates/novices. It's a different focus for Wheaton Academy.

It will be interesting to see how that focus evolves with relation to McNamara & Carpenter and the Parsons. Will the Wheaton program expand into seniors or not? Do they want to? They are already exceptionally successful at what they do, and it sounds like they are very passionate about working with the younger athletes. But they have built these teams with the tools to compete in the international spotlight, and have guided them for a long time, developing strong relationships.

Last edited:

Jun Y

It does sound like the coaches at Wheaton are not too keen on training senior skaters or non-local skaters.

VGThuy

Any updates on Yuri Chesnichenko and Yaroslava Nechaeva? They seemed like they were rising up against the DSC and Canton, until almost all of their senior teams left them before the 2014 Olympics.

Dobre

It does sound like the coaches at Wheaton are not too keen on training senior skaters or non-local skaters.

Yes, though the "local" part is probably emphasized here because it's a Washington newspaper article. Again, it just sounds like that isn't their focus, in part at least because they like to grow skaters from a young age. Skaters at the juvenile and intermediate level don't typically train in non-local rinks. It is the junior & senior teams who are looking to move away from home in order to train. It doesn't sound like the coaches have a hard rule against taking those teams, but rather that they prefer to raise up athletes within their own rink.

Barbara's Italian team of Ghislandi & Ortenzi trained with the Wheaton dancers for part of last year, I believe. And I thought someone said that Moshang & Mallette-Paquette are training there now.

JSB

It's a good article. It says that previously Novak & Kiliakov had worked with high-level competitive teams, but never with children.

You mean they had high-level competitive teams PRIOR to starting the Wheaton Academy? Who were those teams? And what were their achievements?

Dobre

You mean they had high-level competitive teams PRIOR to starting the Wheaton Academy? Who were those teams? And what were their achievements?

I simply paraphrased what the article says. That they had worked with high-level competitive teams prior to starting at Wheaton. It doesn't define high-level or say that they were the main coaches for those teams or list those former athletes' achievements.

The article isn't about Novak & Kiliakov's achievements or credentials. If it was, the reporter would have listed a great many more junior, novice, intermediate, and juvenile honors that the Wheaton teams have been accruing over the past couple years. (Sheesh!) It's about the school they run and their coaching philosophy. Of course, senior teams aren't lining up to train there. If the coaches decide to take their top junior teams to the next level, then the Wheaton coaches would need to break in to the senior coaching scene. The intriguing question is whether they want to make the attempt. Either way, it's good for U.S. ice dance.

The more strong dance coaches we have here the better! Variety and diversity in the coaching scene are a huge plus. And coaches who are dedicated to developing young athletes with strong technique and commitment to the sport--maybe even more vital.

Moustaffask8r

For a year I think? Then they left for Shpilband.
Yes, though the "local" part is probably emphasized here because it's a Washington newspaper article. Again, it just sounds like that isn't their focus, in part at least because they like to grow skaters from a young age. Skaters at the juvenile and intermediate level don't typically train in non-local rinks. It is the junior & senior teams who are looking to move away from home in order to train. It doesn't sound like the coaches have a hard rule against taking those teams, but rather that they prefer to raise up athletes within their own rink.

Barbara's Italian team of Ghislandi & Ortenzi trained with the Wheaton dancers for part of last year, I believe. And I thought someone said that Moshang & Mallette-Paquette are training there now.

Barbara usually go to Shpilband....maybe he was too busy... Ortenzi is not skating anymore!
As for Mo/MP probably they took him as a revenge for loosing Progrebinsky and the Gamelin brothers and sister to Igor. That article is meant to justify that they have experience with high level skaters justifying that they must know what they're doing by not moving M/C and P/P senior...

Moustaffask8r

Barbara usually go to Shpilband....maybe he was too busy... Ortenzi is not skating anymore!
As for Mo/MP probably they took him as a revenge for loosing Progrebinsky and the Gamelin brothers and sister to Igor. That article is meant to justify that they have experience with high level skaters justifying that they must know what they're doing by not moving M/C and P/P senior...

clairecloutier

That article was interesting, but it did leave me wondering what their plans are in regard to M/C and P/P. I think in general their focus on teaching technique to young kids sounds great ( although there weren't any details about what makes their technical approach/direction different or better than other coaches), but yeah, they now have athletes who are pretty much ready for elite senior level, and are the coaches ready? It kind of makes you wonder if the decision for both teams to stay junior again wasn't taken in part because, on a subliminal level, it's just more comfortable for them.

Lorraine & Quinn are so young-- so you could argue, what is the rush to start seniors? My concern, though, is that momentum & reputation are so important in dance, and M/C could have jumped into seniors with a lot of momentum and attention this season-- what if they lose that by next year (by possibly not doing as well this season)?

Moustaffask8r

That article was interesting, but it did leave me wondering what their plans are in regard to M/C and P/P. I think in general their focus on teaching technique to young kids sounds great ( although there weren't any details about what makes their technical approach/direction different or better than other coaches), but yeah, they now have athletes who are pretty much ready for elite senior level, and are the coaches ready? It kind of makes you wonder if the decision for both teams to stay junior again wasn't taken in part because, on a subliminal level, it's just more comfortable for them.

Lorraine & Quinn are so young-- so you could argue, what is the rush to start seniors? My concern, though, is that momentum & reputation are so important in dance, and M/C could have jumped into seniors with a lot of momentum and attention this season-- what if they lose that by next year (by possibly not doing as well this season)?
I totally agree with you.... But I wonder after looking at the Chesapeake results if they're not waiting to move those two teams Senior, for the Green's to be ready to replace McNamara on top of Junior field??? And that article is full of lies... They took people from the outside... Not always good one, not only those mentioned prior....Both Amanda Miller (now with Elliot V) and her ex partner are now in Wheaton.... Plus MP and Mo .... Those are skaters coming in that you need to work on a lot of things...
So what was the purpose of that article again??? :violin:

gkelly

So what was the purpose of that article again??? :violin:

Well, since it was in the Washington Post, not a skating-specific publication aimed at fans or insiders, I would assume the purpose of the article was to say "Hey, Washingtonians. Did you know we have a successful ice dancing school on the rise, right in our area?"

Most people who read the article probably don't even recognize the names Davis and White, let alone any of the others actually mentioned in the article.

Jammers

Sad if M/C didn't go Senior because their coaches didn't want them to because they won't coach elite Senior teams. M/C should have made the move and pushed themselves instead of running back to what is comfortable to them. If their coaches don't want to coach Senior teams then M/C have already outgrew them and will have to leave to find new coaches next season when they have to leave Juniors. This season was the time to leave their comfort zone because nothing they do this year will make them any more prepared then they already were after last season. Win another US Junior title? Big deal.

Jun Y

I get that many people feel disappointed that McNamara and Carpenter have not moved up to senior, but there is a limit to how much fans are involved in skaters' lives. Lorraine is 18 and Quinn is 20. They're now adults. If they want to move up to senior, under coaches who are willing and able to take them, they can. For all we know, they may quit skating altogether when Lorraine goes to college next semester (?).

If Kiliakov and Novak are more interested in coaching skaters from scratch than spending more time and effort on elite senior skaters or taking them to the Olympics, it's their choice and their right. It's their school and skaters are free to come and go. Not everyone thinks exactly the same way or wants the same thing.

ETA: When a skater is not yet 18, she still has her parents to look out for her best interest.

Last edited:

gkelly

Lorraine is 17, born 02/18/1999. I think she still has another year of high school.

Dobre

Dobre....sorry I invaded your post!! I don't know what happened there while I was posting :shuffle:

LOL. Someone else just had the same issue on a different thread. Here's the response I posted there:

You probably have the [/QUOTE] in the wrong place, after your own paragraph. I always just go to "edit." Then cut [/QUOTE] and paste it in at the end of wherever the quote section was really supposed to end.

The other possibility is that the end quote mark--[/QUOTE]--was accidentally deleted, and you just need to type it into the location of wherever the quote was supposed to end.

cheerknithanson

Didn't think that much debate would be here as a result of me posting the article. I found it cause I was looking through the tweets of a Washington Post reporter for the Washington Capitals (ROCK THE RED!!!!) and she retweeted it. And then it caught my eye and once I saw who it was about, I started having a mini happy freakout. So I decided to post it. And yes I live in the DMV area.

As for my input: It's their decision. There's only one year left for them. As well as the Parsons. Would it be good to do seniors this year? In theory yes. But there could be different factors that could make it very difficult to have the decision be made. I'm trying to think of more to say but my brain isn't really coming up with more words now...

Sylvia

TBD
Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko and Eliana Gropman/Ian Somerville will lead off for the USA next month in the first JGP in St. Gervais, France. :)

Charlotte Maxwell/Ryan Devereaux article: http://www.ice-dance.com/site/maxwell-devereaux-living-a-dream-together/
“Charlie White choreographed a playful, musical blues and a high-energy swing,” Maxwell said. “The dance is passionate, playful and definitely a lot slower than the Ravensburg Waltz from last season.”
The free dance, choreographed by Shae Zukiwsky, is a modern take on Romeo and Juliet.
“We wanted to tell the story of Romeo and Juliet (as) if they got to say goodbye to one another,” Maxwell said. “The first part of our program is the classic Romeo and Juliet “March”. The second half is “Goodbye My Lover” by James Blunt.”

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I think that M/C and P/P not being ranked among the seniors (internationally) until next season could help them long-term next quad, the judges won't have had that extra season to "box" them into a scoring range and it could make their post-2018 careers more competitive (esp with the PCS). If they turn senior in the Olympic season - a lot of teams will probably retire after the Olys and they'll still be "brand new".. It would be easier for the judges to give them an even bigger push up the rankings in 2018-19. V/M returning and the competition within the top US teams probably had a lot to do with it IMO.

I agree that it's still pretty :huh: all things considered. It's the only sense I can make of it.

Last edited:

rinkside

Just going to throw this out. I love Christina and Anthony. This is the beginning of their 3rd season together and with Igor. They are only 15 and 16 and they have come a long way in a short time. I think they have a chance to make the JGP finals.

maureenfarone

Has there been any news of Aldridge/Blackmer? I haven't seen anything about music, programs, etc. A poster in the Trash Can mentioned that Matt is selling real estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information