U.S. Ice Dance 2016/17 season - news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Is USFSA really going to send just one team to this week's JGP?
Yes, because there are only 6 ISU Junior age-eligible dance teams listed in USFS' ISP:

JUNIOR (6)
Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko (FRA & RUS)
Eliana Gropman & Ian Somerville (FRA & currently listed as placeholder for #5 SLO & #7 GER)
Emma Gunter & Caleb Wein (JPN & listed for #6 EST)
Chloe Lewis & Logan Bye (CZE & listed for #7 GER)
Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter (CZE & listed for #5 SLO)
Rachel Parsons & Michael Parsons (JPN & listed for #6 EST)

SENIOR (9)
Julia Biechler & Damian Dodge
Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus
Madison Chock & Evan Bates
Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue
Karina Manta & Joseph Johnson
Elliana Pogrebinsky & Alex Benoit
Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani
Danielle Thomas & Daniel Eaton

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Lydia Erdman & Alexey Shchepetov originally were listed in the ISP but were removed earlier this summer (don't know why). They are listed as representing Philadelphia SC & HS and are scheduled to compete at their club's Challenge Cup competition in Ardmore, PA on Sept. 16-17. Here's the link to the competition thread (includes the Juvenile to Senior dance entries) that was started in the Kiss & Cry section: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...allenge-cup-in-philadelphia-sept-15-18.99304/

Lara111

Lydia Erdman & Alexey Shchepetov originally were listed in the ISP but were removed earlier this summer (don't know why). They are listed as representing Philadelphia SC & HS and are scheduled to compete at their club's Challenge Cup competition in Ardmore, PA on Sept. 16-17. Here's the link to the competition thread (includes the Juvenile to Senior dance entries) that was started in the Kiss & Cry section: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...allenge-cup-in-philadelphia-sept-15-18.99304/
Link does not work. Where can i view entries for Philadelphia cup?

Sylvia

TBD
Link does not work. Where can i view entries for Philadelphia cup?
That's because paid access (season pass subscription, for example) is required for the Kiss & Cry section. I just sent you a PM with the dance entries that I've compiled.

U.S. Dance entries for 2 more Challengers have been published on the ISU site:

Nepela Trophy:
Anastasia CANNUSCIO / Colin MCMANUS
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
(Subs: Elliana POGREBINSKY / Alex BENOIT, Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI, Danielle THOMAS / Daniel EATON)

Finlandia Trophy:
Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE
(Subs: Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER, Karina MANTA / Joseph JOHNSON, Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI)

ETA:

Kaitlin HAWAYEK / /Jean-Luc BAKER are assigned to the Skate Canada Autumn Classic in Montreal (Challenger taking place the same week as Nepela Trophy). Listed subs are Hubbell/Donohue, Pogrebinsky/Benoit, Thomas/Eaton.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Julia Biechler and Damian Dodge finished 4th at the Lombardia Trophy (their ISU Challenger debut) this past weekend in Bergamo, Italy.

Dodge blogged for IDC and here are the links to his 3 entries with photos:
http://www.ice-dance.com/site/2016-lombardia-trophy-blog-1/
http://www.ice-dance.com/site/2016-lombardia-trophy-blog-2/
http://www.ice-dance.com/site/2016-lombardia-trophy-blog-3/

The 2016 National Solo Dance Final, hosted by the University of Delaware FSC, took place this past weekend in Newark, Delaware - links to 6.0 results and a Facebook photo album have been added to USFS' original press release: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=89926&type=media

Photo tweeted by Colin McManus: https://twitter.com/ColinJMcManus/status/774746091891912704
"It was a privilege to meet the amazing Colleen O'Connor this week! #NSDF16 #OlympicHistory"

Anastasia Cannuscio, who was a board member for this event, tweeted the link to this local preview article with photos: http://www.delawareonline.com/story/life/2016/09/06/solo-ice-dance-championships-ud/89714418/

Last edited:

AYS

🌻
Rockerskater reported on Twitter that Matthew Blackmer is retiring. I also liked them, but it was always going to be a longshot.

shan

It was reported in the Grand Prix thread that Cannuscio and McManus have been assigned to NHK! It means competing two weeks in a row but still that gives them two GP. So excited to see what they have in store for us this season.

Yay! :)

Their IN bio has been updated for their programs this season.

2016-17 SEASON NOTES

SD Music: "Harlem Nocturne" by Duke Ellington and "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Herb Alpert
FD Music: "Time" by Billy Porter and an original composition by Karl Hugo

Dobre

Yay! :)

Their IN bio has been updated for their programs this season.

2016-17 SEASON NOTES

SD Music: "Harlem Nocturne" by Duke Ellington and "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Herb Alpert

They changed it then? Or perhaps the info about their SD was incorrect before? If not, it appears that makes two "My Baby Shot Me Down" dance programs that have been at least partly shot down themselves.

Looking forward to seeing this more, I confess. C&M have a fluid/entertaining/emotive style I think should work well with swing.

Kultakissu

They changed it then? Or perhaps the info about their SD was incorrect before? If not, it appears that makes two "My Baby Shot Me Down" dance programs that have been at least partly shot down themselves.

Looking forward to seeing this more, I confess. C&M have a fluid/entertaining/emotive style I think should work well with swing.

Aw, I was looking forward to a Bonnie & Clyde themed SD!

caitie

I wonder if the Shibs are injured? It's really strange they aren't doing a Challenger event.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Oh, hopefully not!

Loving Carreira/Ponomarenko programs this season. Gosh does Anthony look so much like his mother Marina Klimova facially! His body structure is more like his Dad's though. :)

Chemistry66

Looks like some changes going on for the JGP assignments. I know the Standings page isn't fully accurate compared to the USFS assignments page, but it seems to reflect changes relatively accurately so far.

- Gropman/Somerville are no longer assigned to a second event. They had been provisionally assigned to the Slovenia JGP, and then the Germany JGP according to the original lists posted in the JGP thread.
- Gunter/Wein are likewise no longer provisionally assigned to their second event, which was Estonia
- Lewis/Bye appear to be assigned to both Estonia and Germany. It looks like they may be moved to the Estonia JGP, given that Parsons/Parsons no longer are assigned there.
- Parsons/Parsons no longer apparently being assigned to Estonia may indicate they're being moved to the Germany event. It would put them out of the way of Loboda/Drozd in Estonia (unless Russia does some moving too).

Sylvia

TBD
I believe USFS has specific criteria for a second JGP which why G/S and G/W may not be receiving another assignment.

Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko won their second silver medal (third in total) and set 3 new ISU personal best scores (157.19 combined) in Saransk, Russia:
Short Dance (63.10): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5ze-OQqxk
Free Dance (94.09): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwSI7YDPJDA
Side note: Anthony was interviewed in Russian after the competition (can anyone give us an overview of what he said?).

Now they must wait and and see how the other Russian teams fare in the next 3 JGPs (the various possibilities are being discussed in the Kiss & Cry section) before they can know if they will qualify for their first JGP Final -- it could come down to the total scores tiebreaker for the teams with 26 points.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Here's the U.S. International Classic Free Dance recap article that includes quotes from Hubbell/Donohue (gold), Manta/Johnson (4th in FD, 5th overall) and Thomas/Eaton (6th in FD, 8th overall): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/09/17/201913760
They [H/D] skate their program to a medley of love songs, and they have a very personal connection to the pieces used in it.
"We chose the music, the concept, just by saying, 'What is your favorite music to listen to, just sitting around at home? What is one of your favorite songs in the whole world?'" Hubbell said. "And one of my favorite songs is the middle piece, 'Can't Help Falling in Love' by Ingrid Michaelson. So we kind of created a concept around that piece, and a story between two people, and we really have a strong connection to it."

semogal

I enjoyed Hubbell and Donohue's dances and think they have a solid start to their season (FD scored 10 points higher than last year in SLC).Manta and Johnson's FD was a breath of fresh air from all the lovey dovey angst of many of their competitors...too bad about the fall.

But my favorite dance of the season so far remains the Parsons' SD, I watch it daily.

Jun Y

I like Hubbell and Donohue's short dance too. Yes, we can debate their hip-hop street cred and the music cuts are, uh, abundant, but it's daring and fun, even humorous. I would much rather watch a daring but flawed piece than something that pleases everyone. Their free dance is a bit hmm for me, but as long as they like doing it all the best to them! Also, kudos to Zach Donohue for substantially improving his skating in the past couple of years. I used to always worry about errors from him in competitions, but he's become very steady and reliable lately. Only when the techniques are sound can one freely express the music and connect with his partner.

Last edited:

Dobre

I believe USFS has specific criteria for a second JGP which why G/S and G/W may not be receiving another assignment.

Bizarre. We have no one else to send in the International Selection Pool. Both teams are young with very limited international experience. Why would USFSA not want to rectify that if there is no other competition for the placements? Gropman & Somerville finished 9th in a 15 team field and Gunter & Wein finished 7th in a smaller field. G&S took some big hits on levels. G&W had the following:
SD: 4 4 3 2 2
FD: 4 4 4 4 2 2

In comparison, this week Hubbell & Donahue had the following:
SD: 4 4 4 2 1
FD: 4 4 4 3 2 2 2

International debuts are generally a learning experience, whether you are in your first Junior event or an experienced senior team. With no one else in competition for the JGP dance placements, I think we would benefit from giving these young teams the chance to use what they have learned and demonstrate improvement while gaining international experience.

Jun Y

Bizarre. We have no one else to send in the International Selection Pool. Both teams are young with very limited international experience. Why would USFSA not want to rectify that if there is no other competition for the placements?

To save money, probably. Development of as many young teams as possible is not the top priority. There is only enough to invest in a few skaters/teams. The rest are on their own.

Jayar

Plus the US doesn't really have to invest in ice dancers right now-- Americans are dominating the senior and junior ranks. So while I completely understand wanting more teams to get experience, I also understand that some people might see that US Ice Dance is solid for the next two Olympic cycles without having to develop teams who are in their mid to late teens.

Sylvia

TBD
USFS did send 4 young dance teams to the Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf, Germany in February 2016: Gropman/Somerville in Junior (won silver) & 3 teams in Adv. Novice -- Green/Green (silver)-too young for JGP until next season; Gunter/Wein (bronze); and Grosul/Colucci (6th) who have since split.

euterpe

Next season, the Greens will be old enough to compete in the JGP. And then there's the Elders, who will also be age-eligible; they're still Novices this year but will no doubt move up to Junior for next season.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Charlotte Maxwell posted on her Instagram that she and Ryan are off to compete for Team USA. What international event would they be attending? They're not a sub for any Senior B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information