Travel advice: Ibiza?

Jenny

From the Bloc
Hello FSU travel experts - particularly thinking of @SHARPIE @allezfred @Louis -

I have my eye on a few days in Ibiza as part of a holiday next spring/summer, and of course I know of its reputation as a drug-fuelled party destination for what North Americans would call the spring break crowd (aka drunken college kids). Snooty friend who thinks he knows everything about Spain but has never been to any of the Balearic Islands claims it's super tacky, might as well go to the Costa del Sol or the Jersey Shore :lol:

However, I'm also hearing that it's both going back to its more hippie/artsy roots, and embracing ideas of sustainability, farm/vine/sea-to-table dining, cool design hotels etc.

Has anyone been there in recent years or know someone who has who can shed light on what it's like now? Can anyone compare it to Mykonos, a place we've been several times and enjoyed very much for its cross section of people, appealing town, piano bars, variety of beaches, proximity to historic sites (Delos) and general vibe?

With much thanks for your inputs!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Have never been to Ibiza so I really can't help you on this, but from what I have read so long as you avoid San Antonio resort (where most of the drunken teenagers/adults go) it is a beautiful place to go. Have heard that Ibiza Old Town is meant to be lovely with a good mix of things to do, restaurants, sights, etc and plenty of unspoiled places to explore on the north of the island. Also the nearby island of Formentera is supposed to have beautiful beaches.

Similarly in Mallorca, so long as you stay away from the infamous Magaluf.

Love Mykonos too (except all the awful cruise ships) and love Spain in general, so would be really interested to see how you get on in Ibiza. :)

RomyNL

Yes, Mykonos and Ibiza share similar vibe. You will love Ibiza, just avoid San Antonio area in the north of the island

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Hi @Jenny i haven't been to Ibiza (I've been to Mallorca several times and as above if you stay out of Magaluf it's lovely) but I've heard many good things about Es Cana and am planning on it one day.

I absolutely love Spain! Wheee! Never had a bad holiday there and I've been around 50 times.

So I've booked to go to Zante next May :lol: I've realised tonight Eurovision is on when I'm there too. :wall:

I need to get a Canaries trip in for the winter.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Love Malloraca. Ibiza has always been called the party island....and not for anything good.

Little known fact: There is a part of Mallorca that is owned by San Diego, in honor of Father Junipero Serra who was born in Petra, Mallorca.

bardtoob

I love Ibiza. I was last there in 2012.

But then I like clubbing while on vacation (I want to say on holiday :D) in Europe... Not at home because I like dance music over the hip hop that is everywhere at home.

I also rented (I was to say hired :D) a bike and went all over Formentera. There is also an old citadel worth seeing ... But really, Ibiza is for meeting people, clubbing, partying, soaking up the sun ... And, yes, it is the height of Euro Trash :swoon:

Here is a music video that might as well be a commercial for Ibiza :swoon:

https://youtu.be/2ggzxInyzVE

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I was there a few weeks ago with my 80 year old mother so we weren’t exactly clubbing it lol.. we really enjoyed Old Town and walking up to the cathedral. Lovely little restaurants and very scenic. Some options might include renting car an driving around the island, or catching one of the boats from the pier to the beaches, although getting a little chilly now.

dinakt

Have not been to Ibiza, so this post is useless, but have been to Mallorca and it is dreamy. No need for clubbing at all. There's need for a car though.

Tinami Amori

Hello FSU travel experts - particularly thinking of @SHARPIE @allezfred @Louis -

I have my eye on a few days in Ibiza as part of a holiday next spring/summer, and of course I know of its reputation as a drug-fuelled party destination for what North Americans would call the spring break crowd (aka drunken college kids). Snooty friend who thinks he knows everything about Spain but has never been to any of the Balearic Islands claims it's super tacky, might as well go to the Costa del Sol or the Jersey Shore :lol:

However, I'm also hearing that it's both going back to its more hippie/artsy roots, and embracing ideas of sustainability, farm/vine/sea-to-table dining, cool design hotels etc.

Has anyone been there in recent years or know someone who has who can shed light on what it's like now? Can anyone compare it to Mykonos, a place we've been several times and enjoyed very much for its cross section of people, appealing town, piano bars, variety of beaches, proximity to historic sites (Delos) and general vibe?

With much thanks for your inputs!

I have not been to Ibiza over 10 years, but visited it a few times. I prefer Menorca (even to Majorca).

I did not like Ibiza as much as Menorca and Majorca, because Ibiza is more touristy and is a "party Island" in the busy tourist areas like Ibiza town, and few others, and not too many historic sites. But it has nice quiet areas, where you can get almost a private access to a resort's beach AND party IF you want to with other visitors. But if you liked tourist areas in Mykonos, then you may like Ibiza. If you have not been there before, then why not try? it's nice enough...

My favorite area is Atlantis Beach https://www.seeibiza.com/caves/atlantis-south-west-ibiza-685198
If you're going with a lover/spouse, it's very nice.. has many charming beaches and unique swimming covers.... Even during tourist times, you can go to these at night and swim naked and bring wine and etc....
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d1/c5/f3/d1c5f3423bda8c65a42bc16f701b3655.jpg
https://images.oyster.com/photos/sea-pool--v4155160-w902.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4c/63/1c/4c631cd268a8dad7f516a7951fbdfab9.jpg

If you want my help, and know the area you want to stay in, and give me budget, i know some good hotels.

PS. imho, Atlantis beach is a must for visit. I just found a video how to walk there from the main road where car park is. (not my video).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tqCoksZhpE

Last edited:

Japanfan

Interesting. Mykonos was the #1 island to avoid when I went to Greece as a backpacker a very long time ago (summer 1979) and subsequently lived in Athens for about nine months. IIRC it was known to be commercial, touristy, expensive, and catered to the party crowd, like Club Med travelers. However, commercial and touristy are advantages to some tourists, I guess, the appealing town you mention being one example.

Naxos and Ios were the islands in the group (don't remember the name anymore) that appealed more to backpackers. Back then you could sleep on the beach and live on $10.00 a day, maybe less. The town was small and quaint, and there were flocks of sheep on the hills between the beach and the town. I doubt that sleeping on beaches is allowed any more, though, and would expect that there are condos and hotels lining the beach now.

Santorini was another island that was popular among backpackers. We had to ride donkeys up the very steep mountainside to the main town. That was one of my most memorable travel experiences. I know that now there is a funicular - all things must pass, I suppose.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Interesting. Mykonos was the #1 island to avoid when I went to Greece as a backpacker a very long time ago (summer 1979) and subsequently lived in Athens for about nine months. IIRC it was known to be commercial, touristy, expensive, and catered to the party crowd, like Club Med travelers. However, commercial and touristy are advantages to some tourists, I guess, the appealing town you mention being one example.

Naxos and Ios were the islands in the group (don't remember the name anymore) that appealed more to backpackers. Back then you could sleep on the beach and live on $10.00 a day, maybe less. The town was small and quaint, and there were flocks of sheep on the hills between the beach and the town. I doubt that sleeping on beaches is allowed any more, though, and would expect that there are condos and hotels lining the beach now.

Santorini was another island that was popular among backpackers. We had to ride donkeys up the very steep mountainside to the main town. That was one of my most memorable travel experiences. I know that now there is a funicular - all things must past, I suppose.
o loved Naxos...and I waas there on $5 dollars a day. The sun there gives the most exquisite tan

Jenny

From the Bloc

We were there twice - around 1999 and 2004, so a few years back now. Both times we stayed a little out of town on one of the coves, but found it easy to get into town by bus and to the various beaches by small boat service. The town itself is really cute - reminds one of a Dr Seuss story with its tiny alleys and twists and turns - word is that it designed to confuse pirates! There were plenty of backpacking kids there and we heard about all night dance parties, but at the same time, there was a real cross section - rich and poor, celebrities and ordinary folk, all ages, all nationalities. We found a couple of wonderful little jazz and piano bars, ate like royalty on a shoestring, met tons of interesting people. Plus, while the island itself is fairly barren of vegetation and historic sites, the proximity and ease of access to Delos - the alleged birthplace of Apollo - is a history and archaeology fan's dream.

Back in Ibiza - thanks @Tinami Amori for the offer, but we're pretty good with finding hotels and restaurants :) If you have something specific you know of, please do PM me.

The thing I was hoping to get past, and you are all helping thank you! is the reality vs the hype, both good and bad.

antmanb

Another one who hasn't been but I have a really good friend who lives there on the North side of the Island and says that even in the height of summer you can happily while away the days on the north side without coming into any contact with drunken party goers. The old town is a beautiful place to stay apparently and the advice he gave was pretty much what allezfred said. A colleague from work goes to Formentera every year and absolutely loves it too if you don't mind the ferry ride over.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Bizarre to be having two very different conversations with you at once!

We're in fact finding mode right now - which includes me convincing my husband that this is a good idea. Telling him there's a Nobu there certainly helped ;)

At this point I can see having a car given the size of the island. Didn't bother in Mykonos because everything we wanted to see/do was easily accessible, but we did have one for a day or two in Santorini so that we could explore on our own. Ditto Caribbean islands, where we've never rented a car but sometimes scooters to get around, other times just stayed put or relied on day tours.

I'm reading about some interesting farm restaurants in the interior, so a car for those especially.

Tinami Amori

Bizarre to be having two very different conversations with you at once!
What do you mean? You are considering Greece or some other location instead of Ibiza?

We're in fact finding mode right now - which includes me convincing my husband that this is a good idea. Telling him there's a Nobu there certainly helped ;)

At this point I can see having a car given the size of the island. Didn't bother in Mykonos because everything we wanted to see/do was easily accessible, but we did have one for a day or two in Santorini so that we could explore on our own. Ditto Caribbean islands, where we've never rented a car but sometimes scooters to get around, other times just stayed put or relied on day tours. I'm reading about some interesting farm restaurants in the interior, so a car for those especially.

Renting a car on the islands like Ibiza and the like is a good idea, if it does not hurt your budget AND if you like charming natural beaches, away from tourist areas.

If you are still searching and convincing hubby, just for a thought, have you considered Madeira (Portugal). It is much less expensive than Ibiza, has a much more sophisticated yet dynamic "tourist scene" close enough to remote natural areas with big variations in flora and fauna, and GORGEOUS beaches of all types, sand, coves, secluded, full-service, near hotels, far from hotels, vulcanic lava pools.. etc..

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1949676/thumbs/o-SB10065944FB001-900.jpg?1
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...gal/the-cliff-bay-hotel-portugal-l-xlarge.jpg
http://www.madeira-a-z.com/uploads/pics/DocadoCavacasFunchal_04.jpg
http://www.autocars-migratour.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Madere.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Porto_da_Cruz_(_Portugal_)7.jpg
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1949508/thumbs/o-SB10065944FI001-900.jpg?1
https://www.google.com/search?q=mad...pO7WAhUIj1QKHSYFBSAQ_AUICygC&biw=1164&bih=560

Jenny

From the Bloc
Never been to Portugal (or anywhere in Spain) so will definitely look into it.

By two conversations I meant that I was also responding to your posts in the Weinstein thread.

Tinami Amori

Never been to Portugal (or anywhere in Spain) so will definitely look into it.

By two conversations I meant that I was also responding to your posts in the Weinstein thread.
Yes, do consider Madeira. Land in Lisboa, for 1-2-3 days, and off to Madeira if you want an island vacation.
But Ibiza is hardly representative of "Spain"..

Re discussion about "travel" and "politics". One discussion is "travel" the other one is "politics".... they don't mix, at least yet...?

PS about Ibizs vs. Madeira. Madeira has all the pluses of "European vacation island" but less trampled up by tourists, more untouched and less built up.

bardtoob

But Ibiza is hardly representative of "Spain"..

:rofl: So right! Ibiza is more like Pleasure Island from Disney's Pinocchio! The only worse representation of Spain in Spain is those British tourist towns south of Valencia.

If you want Spain, then go to Madrid or Seville. If you want "We are Spain too, kinda", then Valencia and Santiago de Compostela. If you want Spain-In-Law, go to Barcelona and Guernica.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information