This Is Us

Susan1

Nicky is facing a $250,000 fine and 10 years in prison for throwing a chair thru a window, or stay in counseling and no charges if he does???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: On a show where you have to suspend belief sometimes, that one is way WAY over the top. :p
I know. Real compassionate place there, huh? Did anyone ask him why he did it?

chantilly

Do you mean when they referred to Kevin being a dad in the future? If so, he wasn't shown with a baby, but the Finale last season when they gathered at the house to see Rebecca. That was Kevin's house, and a young boy maybe 10-12 walks thru the room and Randall asks him where his dad is, and the kid says he went out to get food because they didn't have anything in the house. To which Randall says 'classic Kevin' or something like that. The implication there is that the young boy is Kevin's son. That's the only reference I can think of that we know Kevin is a dad in the future.

I really really hope they aren't implying that Cassidy is Kevin's future wife/baby mama. I just don't see them as a couple at all. :blah:
Thanks.
Wow don’t remember that moment at all. Maybe I fell asleep 😂.

I don’t see them as a couple yet either. I’m guessing they’ll hook up to get each other through this time in their lives and that their connection will be about Nikki.

Susan1

Thanks.
Wow don’t remember that moment at all. Maybe I fell asleep 😂.
Not funny. :) I used to just DVR things at 10:00 in case I fell asleep. Now I have to DVR things at 9:00 too. I've fallen asleep watching things between 9 and 10 that I had DVRd. At least I can start them over.

manhn

This was a wonderful episode. I wonder what happened to Teen Kate, abuse of some sort?

I had boxed ice cream too as a kid but never sliced it like a cake. I scooped it out.

BaileyCatts

:rolleyes: at the Teen Kate storyline, whatever it turns out to be. Teen Kate is dead to me so I don't really care what happened to her.

That's funny about the ice cream. We got the boxed ice cream all the time and never once did I think fold down the box and slice it. Who slices ice cream? Although, it did work. Maybe its a regional thing. :lol:

Kevin is starting to get on my nerves a little bit. Forcing Nicky into things he does not want to do doesn't seem helpful. And the Cassidy storyline is :blah:.

Susan1

:rolleyes: at the Teen Kate storyline, whatever it turns out to be. Teen Kate is dead to me so I don't really care what happened to her.

That's funny about the ice cream. We got the boxed ice cream all the time and never once did I think fold down the box and slice it. Who slices ice cream? Although, it did work. Maybe its a regional thing. :lol:

Kevin is starting to get on my nerves a little bit. Forcing Nicky into things he does not want to do doesn't seem helpful. And the Cassidy storyline is :blah:.
I like the teen Kate better than the adult Kate. They sure did pick a look-alike for the teen Kate though.

We had boxed ice cream too. My mom used to run a scoop under hot water cause it was so hard to get the ice cream out. What do you do with the rest of the ice cream after you have sliced off a couple slices and the box is no longer a box. And nobody put the ice cream on bowls. Do they eat it so fast it doesn't melt and leak off the side of the plate?

Kevin IS irritating. He needs to fix himself not butt into everyone else's business.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
We had boxed ice cream but when there was cake it was sliced with a knife & the slice was laid on the plate with the cake. I like all the cast at every age. That & the writing is why this show is so good. @BaileyCatts, why is grown Kate dead to you? I like her but I do wonder why she isn't losing weight. Her diet was part of the storyline last season. I don't care if it's fat shaming but her weight is ridiculous. She's the biggest person I have ever seen on TV.

I don't know if it's well-known but Toby had to wear a fat suit because he wasn't overweight when the show 1st began. So his "loss" is just them taking the layers off.

chantilly

We had boxed ice cream but when there was cake it was sliced with a knife & the slice was laid on the plate with the cake. I like all the cast at every age. That & the writing is why this show is so good. @BaileyCatts, why is grown Kate dead to you? I like her but I do wonder why she isn't losing weight. Her diet was part of the storyline last season. I don't care if it's fat shaming but her weight is ridiculous. She's the biggest person I have ever seen on TV.

I don't know if it's well-known but Toby had to wear a fat suit because he wasn't overweight when the show 1st began. So his "loss" is just them taking the layers off.
I think Chrissy also wears a “ fat suit” to make her bigger then she is. She does seem smaller on other things I see her on on TV.
Also I think it’s fairly clear that part of the storyline with Kate this season is her addiction to food in reaction to stress.

But yeah it’s certainly a tricky conversation to have about someone needing to lose weight.
But I do think there is a difference between addressing something that’s wholly unhealthy which is obesity, and fat shaming someone who is simply not the Hollywood ideal of a size 2 or 0.
I’m not excited for a teen Kate abuse story line either. Mostly because Kate’s character seems to be the dumping ground for sad story lines.
I’m not a huge fan of adult Kate, mostly because of the way she treated her Mom who so didn’t deserve it and because she’s a bit of a whiner. But I liked teen Kate.
Oh well, some possible insight about what triggered her addiction to food might be at play here.
But I hope there is indeed a story about the real health risks of obesity and movement forward for Chrissy and her character to get to a healthier place. It’s a massive health problem in North America. I think it’d be great to explore it fully in a real way.

taf2002

@chantilly, I saw her on the red carpet & she looked the same to me. But even if my perception is wrong it's not by much. If I heard she dropped dead I would not be surprised. Sad yes but not surprised.

watchthis!!

My two favourite scenes of the last episode are when the Moms are in the kitchen taking control and putting their family back on track.

First, Rebecca's teenage kids are having an argument (with their guest in the living room hearing pretty much everything. Rebecca gets in their and gives them a speech basically telling them to get their sh*t together. And how they are going to be HAPPY, dammit! :lol:

Then Beth demands that her daughter and husband join her in the kitchen. NOW. Beth's explaining how William, then Randall and now Tess all have had to deal with the issue of anxiety and how she loves/loved them all and would not put up with anyone talking badly about any of them. Letting Randall and Tess know that she loves them and accepts their anxiety as a part of who they are...and at the same time letting Tess know that she won't put up with her talking hurtfully to Randall. Such good writing...and acting.

BaileyCatts

....... why is grown Kate dead to you? .......

Its Teen Kate that's dead to me. Well, Kate in general makes me roll my eyes and go "spoiled little 'woe is me, everyone feel sorry for me, everyone pity me' little brat" in general now, but its mostly Teen Kate that is dead to me.
:EVILLE:

But anyway, since ya' asked (hold on to your hat cause here I go) ......... the reason Teen Kate is dead to me is because of the way she treated poor Louie and threw him away like trash. That poor dog was trapped in a kennel in a burning house, probably terrified, and no way to even try to run and save himself since he was closed up in his kennel. That dog was traumatized too and just wanted his human to comfort him. Some 48 hours after the fire, when Rebecca tells Kate that Jack essentially died of smoke inhalation due to being in the fire so long, she drops poor Louie on the floor and walks away. She then ignores the dog, doesn't comfort or care for him, clearly isn't even taking him for walks since she complained he was peeing all over the hotel room (she never complained about it when he did it at the house, she cared for him and cleaned him up), and then like 3-4 days after the fire, on the way to the funeral she goes "I don't even want that dog", and essentially throws away that poor, traumatized dog who doesn't understand what is happening and just wants his human to love him, and we have never seen Louie again.

Her reason .... well if Jack would not have gone back for the dog he wouldn't have died, which is WRONG WRONG WRONG. Louie was in his kennel, all Jack had to do was run down the stairs, grab the dog and run out the door. DONE. But no, Jack took many, many minutes running around that house looking for Kate's tape, grabbing trinkets, whatever all that stuff was in the pillow case. By Kate's logic, THAT is why he was in the house so long ... searching for and collecting those things, not getting the dog. The dog was an easy get ... searching all around the house for those things was not. So by Kate's reasoning, if she threw the dog away because Jack died from being in the house so long, then why didn't she throw away that tape and all the other stuff? THOSE THINGS are the reason Jack is dead, not the dog. So why does she still have those things? Were it not for those things, Jack would not be dead.

If she can throw away her dog like trash, she gets whatever is coming to her and I don't care what happens to her. Dead.to.me!!!!!
:EVILLE:

And now before everyone jumps all over me .... its just a TV show, not real, blah blah blah, I don't like the fact that they wrote she tossed that poor dog like he meant nothing and keeps all the other things that are the true reason Jack is dead. It is now some 8-12 months later and she's still "woe is me, everyone pity me, my dad died" while Randall and Kevin are both in college (their dad died too), and she just sits around the house so everyone can cater to her and feel sorry for her because 'its too late to go to college now' (uh, you can start going to college any time) or do anything because 'my dad died'. :rolleyes:. Guess what Kate .. the world does not give a crap that your dad died. Life goes on. You don't get to sit around and make everyone feel sorry for you. And you certainly don't get to throw your pet away like trash. So I don't care what happens to her. It will just be more "oh poor me, look what happened to me now, everyone pity me and feel sorry for me again". :drama:

And don't even get my started about how she thinks Rebecca is such an overbearing pushy mother because she is totally not. I'd kill to have a mother like Rebecca.

Rant over. Continue thread. Or Skate Canada .... since I don't have have Sports Gold and geoblocked on the ISU stream, I got nuthin' to do but rant so I make myself stay out of the Skate Canada threads. Maybe I'll stay unspoiled until it runs on the OC next week. :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

taf2002

@BaileyCatts, I totally missed the fact that she threw the dog away. I missed the show right after the fire, maybe two. Your reasoning is spot on.

taf2002

Re Kate, her reaction after the death of Jack WAS extreme but when you factor in that she was never comfortable with her size but Jack was the only person she felt beautiful around & also that she was a big daddy's girl anyway it makes sense. It wasn't reasonable that she took out her feelings on the dog but when you lose your home & your biggest support you may not be reasonable for a while. Or in Kate's case ever. The whole family but esp Kate should have had consuling then. It's silly, I'm talking like these are real people but they seem real to me.

Susan1

Re Kate, her reaction after the death of Jack WAS extreme but when you factor in that she was never comfortable with her size but Jack was the only person she felt beautiful around & also that she was a big daddy's girl anyway it makes sense. It wasn't reasonable that she took out her feelings on the dog but when you lose your home & your biggest support you may not be reasonable for a while. Or in Kate's case ever. The whole family but esp Kate should have had consuling then. It's silly, I'm talking like these are real people but they seem real to me.
I am so glad I wasn't paying attention to the episode where she was mean to the dog.

When my aunt died, I made it all day through work and came home and cried all over Sadie (dog). I don't overeat when I'm sad (or mad or happy or lonely) or any of her other excuses.

watchthis!!

I don't overeat when I'm sad (or mad or happy or lonely) or any of her other excuses.

I thought that food issues were now considered on the same level as alcohol or drugs in that some people have something different in their brain which makes them more drawn chemically to certain things to such an extent that it can result in self-harm. And that others have brains without this imbalance (or whatever it is called), so they have never had to face a similar kind of struggle. Can anyone with a medical training background comment on this? :confused:

BaileyCatts

Beth and Kelly having a 'polite conversation' about their kids ……. :watch: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :watch:

Other than that what a boring episode. Beth is the :glamor:!!!!

Susan1

Beth is the :glamor:!!!!
I can't agree with you on that one. She was all positivity about Deja and (I forget his name, and I just watched it this morning!) and the parents until the mother said something about HER parenting. THEN she was insulted.

The only people I like on this show are Jack and his brother and Rebecca and Miguel (at all ages).

taf2002

I was surprised at the end that they didn't absolutely lay down the law to keep Deja from ever being alone with that kid (forgot his name) again. No way would I let my 14 or 15 yr old daughter date a teen with a baby. Even if he's sincere he has too much baggage, esp for a young teen. And what happened to the mother? I couldn't figure out what's the attraction anyway. I hate it when shows get an actor who doesn't fit the role. He's a pipsqueak who isn't even cute.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I was surprised at the end that they didn't absolutely lay down the law to keep Deja from ever being alone with that kid (forgot his name) again. No way would I let my 14 or 15 yr old daughter date a teen with a baby. Even if he's sincere he has too much baggage, esp for a young teen. And what happened to the mother? I couldn't figure out what's the attraction anyway. I hate it when shows get an actor who doesn't fit the role. He's a pipsqueak who isn't even cute.

If they take a hard line, she'd probably find a way to see him anyway. This way with supervised "dates," they're doing their best to set the boundaries.

My friend's 15 year old daughter thinks Malik is hot, so he does appeal to his age group.

I'm curious to hear more about the baby's mother too. Does she go to school with them? Does she ever ask about her child? How long did they date?

taf2002

If they take a hard line, she'd probably find a way to see him anyway. This way with supervised "dates," they're doing their best to set the boundaries.

My friend's 15 year old daughter thinks Malik is hot, so he does appeal to his age group.

I'm curious to hear more about the baby's mother too. Does she go to school with them? Does she ever ask about her child? How long did they date?

My parents didn't have any problem with taking a hard line with me. I wanted to date a boy with a bad reputation in high school & they said absolutely not. It was pretty embarrassing when I had to tell him I couldn't go out with him after I had already accepted. My best friend ended up dating him for a couple of years. :lol:

For me, I don't mind when teen characters look too young. Usually, it's the other way around. See any CW show.

I don't mind when they look too young either. But they have to be cute. /shallow

My parents didn't have any problem with taking a hard line with me. I wanted to date a boy with a bad reputation in high school & they said absolutely not. It was pretty embarrassing when I had to tell him I couldn't go out with him after I had already accepted. My best friend ended up dating him for a couple of years. :lol:

You were a better kid than me, lol. My parents took a hard line with me. I just snuck out with boys :shuffle:

I like Malik. At least he’s taking responsibility for his child. That’s more than most teen dads I’d think. I’m curious about where baby mama is too.

As a bit of a side note, having both Omar Epps and Jennifer Morrison this season is giving me major House flashbacks.

Susan1

My parents didn't have any problem with taking a hard line with me. I wanted to date a boy with a bad reputation in high school & they said absolutely not. It was pretty embarrassing when I had to tell him I couldn't go out with him after I had already accepted.
Was he the "Leader of the Pack"? :D Sorry, that song popped into my head when I read this. I hope he didn't have a motorcycle accident. And it was my friend's OLDER sister's record, but we listened to it all the time. It still gives me chills. :scream:

Back to This Is Us................

taf2002

Was he the "Leader of the Pack"? :D Sorry, that song popped into my head when I read this. I hope he didn't have a motorcycle accident. And it was my friend's OLDER sister's record, but we listened to it all the time. It still gives me chills. :scream:

Back to This Is Us................

Yes, he was leader of the pack. And thank you for stressing it was your older sister's record. That doesn't make me feel old or anything. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information