The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcash

Agree about Schpilband programs being clunky and uninspired, and Anthony P's lack of extension/knee bend. Hope Smart/Diaz programs catch on with judges this year. Always prefer their look to the other Spanish couple.

RoseRed

aftershocks

Banned Member
No really, in this instance I agree on some points notably concerning C/P. Neither of their programs do anything for me. The RD goes nowhere and a flamenco needs the stylings of P/C, Hurtado and Diaz or simply Elena Ilinykh all by her lonesome. Carreira is a lovely skater but her approach to flamenco is flatter than a crepe smothered with real maple syrup. Igor is just absolutely clueless here. He needs Marina back in his life. He needs back his mojo, because she's absconded to Florida with it all.

Ah well, C/P ain't my fave team of the young up-and-comers, but still 'harsh much' in the critiqueing, which isn't called for. C/P have their strong points too. Perhaps the music choices and approach they have taken this season aren't working for them right off the bat. Maybe they need to regroup and rethink. Selecting the right music and approach is very important.

Be critical, sure, but be kind. The dumping on Igor goes a bit far. I'm sure he has his weaknesses, as we all do, as Marina does too, for sure. A little bit of kindness, while still voicing well-founded critiques might go down better, especially in this unkind world we live in.

Dobre

At this point in time, I just think it's nice to see teams ready to get out on the ice. Most of the more competitive teams we've seen thus far have crazy tough GP schedules in deep fields. And real competition at home. It's good to see those teams on target with conditioning and getting out there to get feedback. Most of the Finnsteps look not ready yet and some of the lifts. There are some distracting stops in the middle of programs. And that's all kind of par for the course at this point in the year.

As far as programs go, these are the pluses/moments that stick out for me so far:
(What I've seen is all rather hit & miss as various programs are blocked and/or muted and/or I cannot find because I can't read Russian).

-I like that Smart & Diaz are going for two character-oriented programs this year. It's very unlike their club, but it works for them and their personal dynamic. It gives them a personal dynamic.

-I really love Makita & Gunara's Hairspray program. Just bang on, IMO.

-Galiyanova & Lochhead's RD has all kinds of personality too. I've never liked a Bonnie & Clyde program before so a big thumbs up on that RD.

-I love both McNamara & Carpenter and Lauriault & Le Gac's opening lifts in their FDs. Beautiful position in the first and gorgeous set down in the second.

-I think Soucisse & Firus's FD is a better fit for them than last season, especially the first half.

-I think Carreira & Ponomarenko's RD is a better fit for them than last season, more along the lines of their swing/blues program which I always liked.

-I think Tkachenko & Kiliakov's RD is charming.

-Think Wolfkostin & Chen have good potential for a new team, and I'm just looking forward to watching them develop this season.

-I liked Shanaeva & Naryzhnyy's FD the best out of the programs I saw from Junior Russian test skates, especially the first 3/4ths of it. They are in sync enough for the fast-paced music.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

At this point in time, I just think it's nice to see teams ready to get out on the ice. Most of the more competitive teams we've seen thus far have crazy tough GP schedules in deep fields. And real competition at home. It's good to see those teams on target with conditioning and getting out there to get feedback. Most of the Finnsteps look not ready yet and some of the lifts. There are some distracting stops in the middle of programs. And that's all kind of par for the course at this point in the year.
It's a bit weird to remember, after seeing all these junior competitions and some mid-tier seniors, that none of the top-tier senior teams have debuted their programs yet (or, in quite a few cases, even told us what they're skating to). Ah, well, the Challenger season starts up in a month.

I think I said this earlier, but the junior pattern is way more interesting than the senior pattern this year.

Dobre

It's a bit weird to remember, after seeing all these junior competitions and some mid-tier seniors, that none of the top-tier senior teams have debuted their programs yet

Well, no one who has finished in the top 10 at Worlds; but we've had 2 GP medalists (and a half), a 4CC medalist, and two more Challenger medalists debut so we're on our way.

I'm not surprised that Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen elected not to compete this week. Last year they had strong incentive to be there and this year they had a later end of their season + need to build two new programs as opposed to one last season.

I am a little surprised that Lajoie & Lagha pulled out. Usually young teams get out there & get going early as they've had time since Junior Worlds. There's no need to go head-to-head with Soucisse & Firus this early and L&L will have plenty of opportunity; but a little surprised. Also haven't seen Sales & Wamsteeker yet, and they usually go to Lake Placid so I guess will have a later start this season.

Sylvia

TBD
7 teams are listed as of today for Autumn Classic, one of the first 2 ISU Challengers this fall (Lombardia Trophy is the same week and entries are due this Friday): http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03109501.htm
1 Matilda FRIEND / William BADAOUI AUS 1
2 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 2
3 Carolane SOUCISSE / Shane FIRUS CAN 2
4 Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC FRA 3
5 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON GBR 4
6 Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO JPN 5
7 Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ ESP 6

ISU World Standings ranking points distribution for Challengers (Ice Dance fields require a minimum of 6 entries from at least 4 ISU Members).

1st place 300 points (250 for regular Senior B)
2nd place 270 points (225)
3rd place 243 points (203)
4th place 219 points (182)
5th place 198 points (164)
6th place 178 points

Dobre

In the race for most popular Broadway hit of the year, per Doris's list on GS, we are currently at . . .

5 Cabarets (3 + 2 halves technically)
4 Singing in the Rains
4 Chicagos
4 Big Spenders (from Sweet Charity)
3 42nd Streets
3 La La Lands
3 Jersey Boys

-Also, I've seen on video and/or seen listed a least 3 Puttin' On the Ritz and 3 Funny Girls, though I don't see them all on Doris's list. (Some may not be likely to make the JGP).

-I only counted juniors & seniors. I did not count novice numbers like the Peals' Singing in the Rain.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Igor knows how to make a great tango, he did Punsalon and Swallow's which I consider a classic. I thought W/P was held down in favour of the sheer energy and tautness of the Russians, but in terms of sheer dance, I thought W/P should have been at least 3rd after the RD :(. They were somewhat deflated in the FD.

Ka3sha

Anna Kublikova / Yuri Hulitski (BLE) parted their ways - she decided to retire.

mjb52

Anna Kublikova / Yuri Hulitski (BLE) parted their ways - she decided to retire.

oh that's too bad, I liked them.

Dobre

Looking at the list from Euros, I think we've lost 5 of the 8 teams that finished between 18th & 25th there last year.

Over on GS, someone posted that Bunina & Frolov have split & she is now skating with Gruzdev.

Colonel Green

lol I think Igor Shpilband accidentally got a compliment in here. What is the world coming to :biggrinbo
To up the stakes, I think his FD for Sales/Wamsteeker is pretty decent, though I'm not sure this sort of uber-classical route is right for a lower-tier team looking to really stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information