The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I've never been under the impression that was necessary in order to compete in domestic events, but maybe I just have that impression because teams that have to wait out a year for ISU competition are able to compete in domestic events.

Can anyone else provide insight into whether a release is required in order for an athlete to attend U.S. Nationals?

A release is not strictly required but you do need permission from your current federation to compete in another federation's Nationals.

We found this out after Tiff had competed in Russian Nationals for the first time.
Didier Gailhaguet phoned Tiff and told her that she had no right to have competed at Russian Nationals without permission from the FFSG. He said that the ISU could ban her for 2+ years for not obtaining that permission.
(Tiff had not even considered that there might be a problem, as she had not represented France for over 2 years at this point)

Additionally, he told her that even to appear in shows, club competitions, or test skates in Russia, she would have needed permission from the FFSG as she had not been released from France.

Bigbird

I found her very lose and sloppy. I did not mind him so much although I did not see as strong leading as most of the top dance males normally do. Wonder what Igor has planed for them.
I like the way Smolkin partners her. I don't see anything special with respect to the partnering skills of say Katsalapov. It all just seems rough and ungentleman like. He may be light and airy in terms of blade to ice. But dancing skills, with the exception of the tango, the ability to milk the moment, show off his partner, pay attention to his partner no dice. I much prefer Poje, Moir, Cizeron, Diaz, Fabbri, Shibutani etc there is a gentle communication going on. The way Poje worked with Weaver on their latin SD in 2015 I think, illustrates what I mean. I don't know how to evaluate Bukin because Stepanova's basics are so poor. I honestly really like how Davis and Smolkin communicate and engage each other on ice and his basics are decent. I know there's a lot of dislike for Eteri, but we really ought to at the very least try to separate that from the actual abilities of D/S.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Cross-posting this from the CanadianIce Dance thread -
Piper Gilles got engaged today! Her fiance is Nathan Kelly, a Canadian cinematographer.

litenkyckling

And just like that WISA does not have top pairs at any level
I feel like all of their teams enjoyed being coached by Greg and were happy to make the move to him… but interesting because does that leave basically just Lorraine?

Caroline is just about start college isn’t she? I think someone posted where on here but I can’t remember! Kind of surprised really because they have such a close relationship with WISA

lauravvv

Interesting. Green/Parsons and their now former coaches seemed like a successful combination. But, of course, they still have a lot of room for improvement, and apparently they think they can improve more with other coaches.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Caroline is going to college in Washington, D.C., so it seems like an odd time to move away from the area!

litenkyckling

I mean TSL aren’t always right I guess? But yeah seems like a strange choice given how successful they were last season

sap5

Or a good time to transfer colleges.
I think the dance program connection MIDA has with Michigan would be very appealing -- not that I think she's studying dance, but more that it makes a stronger connection if she transfers to that college.

Lara111

I think the dance program connection MIDA has with Michigan would be very appealing -- not that I think she's studying dance, but more that it makes a stronger connection if she transfers to that college.
Transfer to Michigan is difficult and very expensive

Sylvia

TBD
Ice Academy of Montreal known teams at this time:
Madison CHOCK / Evan Bates (USA)
Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON (GBR)
Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER (USA)
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SOERENSEN (CAN)
Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS (LTU)
Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA (CAN)
Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO (JPN)
Holly HARRIS / Jason CHAN (AUS)
Solene MAZINGUE / Marko Jevgeni GAIDAJENKO (EST) - new addition
Charlotte LAFOND-FOURNIER / Richard Kang In KAM (NZL)
Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC (CAN)
Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYER (CAN)
Emmy BRONSARD / Jacob RICHMOND (CAN) - new team
Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU (CHN) - still in China?
Junior:
Sandrine GAUTHIER / Quentin THIEREN (CAN; NextGen)
Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN (KOR)
Sara KISHIMOTO / Atsuhiko TAMURA (JPN) - new addition

Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) - taking 2022-23 season off
Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - both are officially retired
Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ (ESP) - he has retired & is coaching in Ontario
Tina GARABEDIAN / Simon PROULX SENECAL (ARM) - she has retired; he is skating in a show in Blackpool, England this summer
Sasha FEAR / George WADDELL (GBR) - split

In Ontario (with Moirs, Adrian Diaz & presumably Madison Hubbell):
Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO (USA)
Haley SALES / Nikolas WAMSTEEKER (CAN)
Lily HENSEN / Nathan LICKERS (CAN)
Maia IANNETTA / Liam CARR (CAN)
Samantha RITTER / Daniel BRYKALOV (AZE)
Leia DOZZI / Pietro PAPETTI (ITA)
Jordyn LEWIS / Noah McMILLAN (CAN; NextGen)
Layla VEILLON / Alex BRANDYS (CAN N1; NextGen)
Olivia CORNELL / Anthony BRANDYS (CAN N6)

Am I missing any teams?

Karen-W

If she hadn't actually started at GWU yet, would it count as a transfer if she switched? I'm not sure how that works.
Well, if she hasn't taken any classes or earned any credits then it wouldn't be a transfer. The issue would be whether or not she applied through an early acceptance process, in which case she might have to wait a semester or year before starting at a different university. Plus, if she/her parents have paid any deposits for tuition already, they'll probably lose those since it's already late June.

barbarafan

I like the way Smolkin partners her. I don't see anything special with respect to the partnering skills of say Katsalapov. It all just seems rough and ungentleman like. He may be light and airy in terms of blade to ice. But dancing skills, with the exception of the tango, the ability to milk the moment, show off his partner, pay attention to his partner no dice. I much prefer Poje, Moir, Cizeron, Diaz, Fabbri, Shibutani etc there is a gentle communication going on. The way Poje worked with Weaver on their latin SD in 2015 I think, illustrates what I mean. I don't know how to evaluate Bukin because Stepanova's basics are so poor. I honestly really like how Davis and Smolkin communicate and engage each other on ice and his basics are decent. I know there's a lot of dislike for Eteri, but we really ought to at the very least try to separate that from the actual abilities of D/S.
Way to misinterpet! I do not see anything great in his partnering....I found him just ok. I agree with you on Katsalapov...I was not referring to him as one of the great partners. Your list are ones I do really like (except I do not remember Shibutani- I would have to go back and rewatch to see.) There were also a few Europeans that I thought partnered really well. The name is escaping me. He is retired and coaches now. As far as Eteri goes it is true I cannot stand her behavior but I would be more sorry for her children. As well it is obviously who she is that ran the overmarking of D/S and the undermarking of other Russian dance teams.

Bigbird

Way to misinterpet! I do not see anything great in his partnering....I found him just ok. I agree with you on Katsalapov...I was not referring to him as one of the great partners. Your list are ones I do really like (except I do not remember Shibutani- I would have to go back and rewatch to see.) There were also a few Europeans that I thought partnered really well. The name is escaping me. He is retired and coaches now. As far as Eteri goes it is true I cannot stand her behavior but I would be more sorry for her children. As well it is obviously who she is that ran the overmarking of D/S and the undermarking of other Russian dance teams.
Precisely. Russia does that with its chosen pairs every season regardless. I just didn't want to say it out loud so to speak.

The hate that is spewed on D/S would make one think they're awful which they are not.

But I honestly found none of the other pairs especially K/B any better. Both their Raining Men RD and FD were utterly ottrocious. The team that had a chance was K/A, but she has lost her skating leggs while he is fabulous. I was disappointed for him. The politics of Russian ice dance ensured that they wouldn't be considered unless they were both at their best and head and tails above D/S. So I am surprised they were so offended.

Sylvia

TBD
AnythingGOE has tweeted "Sofia Val / Alexander Gnedin are a new ice dance team. They are being coached by Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin." - source is this Spanish article:
ETA that Gnedin previously skated with Darja Netjaga for Estonia (http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_id=27432) and Angelina Zimina for Russia: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00108264.htm

Last edited:

Karen-W

AnythingGOE has tweeted "Sofia Val / Alexander Gnedin are a new ice dance team. They are being coached by Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin." - source is this Spanish article:
ETA that Gnedin previously skated with Darja Netjaga for Estonia (http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_id=27432) and Angelina Zimina for Russia: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00108264.htm
Yay! I'm so excited for Sara & Kirill to have their first dance team to coach! Hopefully this will be the first of many and Spain will continue to develop a high-level dance program.

Sylvia

TBD
Isabella Flores (turned 19 in April) and Russian-born Ivan Desyatov (21 this past February: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103963.htm) have confirmed their new partnership by sharing clips over the past 3 days - he via IG stories: https://www.instagram.com/1chirik0/

Her 3 IG reels so far: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfRk35NFDL8/ & https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfXAp3lpjOO/ & https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfZHKUxlA3N/

And teams who competed on the 2021-22 JGP but weren't at Junior Worlds:
Isabella Flores / Dmitry Tsarevski (USA) - split (she's ageing up and looking for a new partner, he's no longer skating :( )
Elizaveta Andreeva / Ivan Desyatov (BLR) - split

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information