The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoisAGOEs

Skoptcova/Aleshin have indeed retired, and even if Davis/Smolkin do switch to representing the US the minimum time the ISU requires them to be out of competition would mean they can’t represent them internationally until a year after the Olympics.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Skoptcova/Aleshin have indeed retired, and even if Davis/Smolkin do switch to representing the US the minimum time the ISU requires them to be out of competition would mean they can’t represent them internationally until a year after the Olympics.
Which means they would be eligible for Worlds, but not 4CCs (assuming they finished 2nd or 3rd at US Nats - which I don't think is a given by any stretch).

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Last I had read, Skoptcova was still open to continuing but Aleshin was done.

Was she though? This sport24.ru report says she's going to pursue a career in journalism.

Sylvia

TBD
Georgian dancers Maria Kazakova and Georgy Revia had a very busy season: they made their debuts at the Olympic Games and the World Championships. Back in the fall, everything was in question, as the skaters missed the previous season due to injury. The whole team had to get the quota at the last moment. As a result, the Olympics (19th place) became the first experience for the coaching staff - Denis Samokhin and Maria Borovikova, with whom the duet trained from the very beginning of its existence.
Recently, Maria and Georgy staged a new free dance, but the main event for them in the off-season is moving to Europe. Also, Russian-born figure skaters are actively learning the Georgian language with the help of teammates Nika Egadze and Luka Berulava, who have lived in Georgia for a long time.
"Match TV" discussed with the dancers their plans for the future and remembered the Olympics in Beijing.

Bigbird

So Pavel Drozd has finally called it quits? Or is he waiting on Elena Ilinykh to come back to the sport? Just had to ask for a friend. :)

Sylvia

TBD
Madi Hubbell actually mentioned "London, Ontario" and Madi Chock replied "what a coaching vibe" in Stars on Ice's 5/27 Instagram Live from Spokane, WA (after 2-minute mark): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeFUbxxp6cG/
Yes, in the IG Live that she and Madi C did for SOI on Friday night (posted on SOI IG), it was mentioned that Madi H would be moving to London, Ontario and coaching, so we can probably assume she and Adrian will be working alongside Scott.
I.AM made Adrian's new job official today: https://twitter.com/montreal_ice/status/1539972235670069249

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Their FD last season was just awful. Awful. And the nonsense Igor had planned this year had Eteri in a tizzy. So he had to go. Periodt.
Yeah, their material isn't good, but people sometimes talk like their skating skills are novice level or something. I mean they are pretty mid-range senior level skaters. They're not amazing, but they're not the worst skaters I've seen. Some good choreo could do wonders for them.

People have to stop confusing their dislike of Diana's mom with Diana's actual skills. Those are two different things. Now if people want to dislike the team because they just dislike them, that's fine. I dislike all kinds of skaters for no apparent reason. But overdoing how tragique their skating skills are is kind of eh. You don't need a reason to not like them. Hate in freedom friends.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
There are a lot of factors that go into the feelings around D/S. You can simultaneously believe that (1) their skating is about mid-range and (2) it's not fair to dislike them for their Eteri connection but (3) they often get overscored and overpraised but (4) they don't control their scores and at any rate (5) it wasn't fair for Christine Brennan to yell at Diana about speaking English and snark about her in print.

Andrea82

Kaitlyn Weaver has been appointed to the ISU Ice Dance Technical Committee as the "appointed skater". The position used to be filled by Alper Ucar.
However, Ucar is now moved to the "appointed coach" slot, previously occupied by Maurizio Margaglio (who is out of the TC).

So new the Ice Dance Technical Committee include 3 people who were TC members in the previous term (Rettstatt, Selby and Ucar) and 3 newcomers (Molina, Wolter and Weaver). The 3 moving out are Gordon-Poltarek, Margaglio and Elek.

Dobre

There's a clip of Zingas and Kolesnik's RD from the Chesapeake Open today in the U.S. Dance thread if anyone wants to see it.

They are with Igor, right? It's interesting that they went to the Chesapeake Open, and no sign of Avonley. We've had no updates on her & Smirnov since they pulled out of Nationals. (Do they exist? Do they not exist? Is he still injured? Is the current state of Russian politics a problem for his release? Or was he already released? Inquiring minds what to know).

Wonder what Igor has planed for them.
The rumor is that Davis & Smolkin are no longer with Igor.

dancing_on_ice

There's a clip of Zingas and Kolesnik's RD from the Chesapeake Open today in the U.S. Dance thread if anyone wants to see it.

They are with Igor, right? It's interesting that they went to the Chesapeake Open, and no sign of Avonley. We've had no updates on her & Smirnov since they pulled out of Nationals. (Do they exist? Do they not exist? Is he still injured? Is the current state of Russian politics a problem for his release? Or was he already released? Inquiring minds what to know).

The rumor is that Davis & Smolkin are no longer with Igor.
I would assume that Grigory had already been released by RusFed since he and Avonley were able to compete at a qualifying competition and were slated to compete at US Nationals. But that could be wrong.

Dobre

I've never been under the impression that was necessary in order to compete in domestic events, but maybe I just have that impression because teams that have to wait out a year for ISU competition are able to compete in domestic events.

Can anyone else provide insight into whether a release is required in order for an athlete to attend U.S. Nationals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information