The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

What's your definition of complete package? I enjoy watching almost all of the top senior men, in many cases more than their partners.
Juniors are coming along fine as well. There have been lots of changes to what is being put on the ice starting last season but this season even more so. The intricate twizzles of V/M in 2018 I feel really started something and Scott putting in individual moves and jumps with supreme confidence and character seems to have made a great deal of programs more intricate with a great deal of emphasis on the male as well. Early in the yr there are bound to be oopsies especially with that kind of choreo. Aissa (excuse the spelling) has good posture speed and character. I especially liked Bruce Waddell in the RD he competed at North York. His leading and skating is masterful and his posture supreme. Paul Ayer is impressing me as well just joining the senior ranks...There are many others as well but those are the ones who are coming to mind right now.

nuge

There is some serious talent coming up!
There is but seniors is a whole new kettle of fish :p
Moving up to seniors isn't plain sailing.C/P M/C US are still settling in.Yanovskaya/Mozgov were a team I was particularly looking forward to seeing after they won juniors but sadly split :rolleyes: Although he seems to be doing well with Popova.She not so much.I'm looking forward to seeing the Russians and L/L Canada in seniors.

Dobre

I finally got caught up with videos from the top five dance teams at Courchevel. I haven't followed junior dance much before this, but I was really impressed. There is some serious talent coming up!

Welcome to the joys of junior dance! It's better to not fall in love with teams. Good luck with that;).

There is but seniors is a whole new kettle of fish

Courchevel was a pretty young & developing field. None of the top teams there seem particularly likely to move up next season. The Italians & Hungarians might. Villo & Marton have been together a long time.

So many cohesive teams never even try to make the leap:(. Confirmed freshman class of 2019-20:

Lajoie & Lagha
Shevchenko & Eremenko
Fabbri & Ayer

Anyone else?

Kazakova & Reviya might take a crack at seniors later in the season?

Caroline Green is a freshman as well but not her partner. It will also be the first season Jason Chan has skated as a senior but now with a new partner that has not competed in dance before. Popova & Byelikov and Friend & Badoui have been competing at both levels for the past couple years. I shan't be counting them as members of the freshman class because I've already counted them as members of previous freshmen classes.

Dobre

Lagouge & Caffa are listed as a new dance team for Nepela, and Peterson & Pfisterer are listed as a new team at Nebelhorn.

Also Lopareva & Brissaud are signed up for Nepela and Kalehanova & Palkhouski are signed up for Nebelhorn so we can add them to the list of confirmed Freshmen teams moving up from juniors to seniors:).

Meanwhile . . .

I am ROTFL that after our off-season hypothesizing about whether Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen and Hawayek & Baker would go to the Autumn or U.S. Classic, neither is at either but both are signed up for Nebelhorn. (Along with Carreira & Ponomarenko). I did think the latter two teams might wind up there.

Ka3sha

Krylova’s team had an open practice session and a press conference today.

Popova/Mozgov skated to Bohemian Rhapsody, Galyavieva/Thauron to Carmen, Muller/Dieck to It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World (by James Brown)
Here are some videos and a live stream:

And Betina posted a video of one of their new lifts

Last edited:

hlp728

Krylova’s team had an open practice session and a press conference today.

Popova/Mozgov skated to Bohemian Rhapsody, Galyavieva/Thauron to Carmen, Muller/Dieck to It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World (by James Brown)
Here are some videos and a live stream:

And Betina posted a video of one of their new lifts
The 2 lifts in the videos from the Popova/Mozgov interview and those posted on Instagram are really cool. The spin is pretty interesting too. It looks like she does a turn within the spin as he is in a camel spin (not the best description).

Last edited:

Lara111

From what I have seen and remember, he is really good, but he is not better than Cizeron. You may be one of those who don't like P/C, but saying that Ian Somerville has better skating skills than Guillaume Cizeron would be a bit ridiculous indeed (at least in my opinion).
I was comparing him mostly to Juniors but he is better then many Seniors not Cizeron though

Bigbird

The 2 lifts in the videos from the Popova/Mozgov interview and those posted on Instagram are really cool. The spin is pretty interesting too. It looks like she does a turn within the spin as he is in a camel spin (not the best description).

I am slowly losing any real interest in these two as a competitive pairing. Betina has a personality but she is very sloppy, he is also not very musical in the least, rather dry and dull. They seem to be perpetually injured and sloppy. OTOH, they shine in their exhibitions, I can watch these over and over.

I am more curious to see the work of Krylova's French team as well as Tiffany and Jonathan.

Marta24

I am slowly losing any real interest in these two as a competitive pairing. Betina has a personality but she is very sloppy, he is also not very musical in the least, rather dry and dull. They seem to be perpetually injured and sloppy. OTOH, they shine in their exhibitions, I can watch these over and over.

I am more curious to see the work of Krylova's French team as well as Tiffany and Jonathan.
I preferred Mozgov when he was skating with Anna Yanovskaya. :slinkaway
I understand that he cerainly had his reason to split up, but I can`t really warm up to P/M. Not because of the break up, but I liked Y/M skating style more.
I also am curious what Thauron and Galyavieva have prepared for this season. I really liked them last season.

ETA: Aren`t the Russian Senior Test Skates next week? Hopefully all ice dancers will attend, especially Skoptcova/Aleshin. With the exception of a few posts on Instagram by Anastasia, it has been pretty quiet around them.

Ka3sha

I also am curious what Thauron and Galyavieva have prepared for this season. I really liked them last season.
I liked what I see from them on the short videos from open practice.
Most of those videos have already disappeared on Instagram, but there’s one short piece of their FD attached to this article (and two more P/M’s videos)

I really enjoyed Popova/Mozgov in 2017/18 season and they were one of my pleasant surprises at Nationals that year. I wasn’t a fan of their last year programs and they looked undertrained to me, especially in the first half of the season. I still think that they were underscored at Nationals (in the RD in particular) and deserved a trip to Euros way more than Evdokimova/Bazin.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Avonley & Vadym are so passionate and very magical together. In seeing the debut FD performance earlier this off-season, it doesn't compare to what the program is like now. And even still, both of their programs will continue growing over the course of the season. I enjoyed their Aladdin RD too at JGP Lake Placid, which I didn't think I would as much when I first saw it at a pre-season event. I wish this young team so much good luck in their career together. They are a joy to watch. :love:

kittysk8ts

Well, this is mysterious.

“On Tuesday, September 3rd, at 9:00 AM EDT, Gadbois coaches Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon, and Romain Haguenauer will make a statement via press conference on Facebook Live, followed by a Q&A session. All are invited to participate.”

FB Link: facebook.com/events/faceboo…

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Hmmm, :watch:

I was comparing him mostly to Juniors but he is better then many Seniors not Cizeron though

Yes, I personally understood what you mean. And another poster said Somerville has the 'best back' junior or senior (without necessarily comparing him to Cizeron). There are quite a few exceptional male ice dancers today, so maybe it's more about the fact we appreciate each for their strengths and particular unique qualities, especially right after seeing them perform. :encore: I see that this conversation got started because someone suggested there aren't many 'complete packages' among the men ice dancers. I guess different strokes for different folks, because obviously there are a number of strong men, as some posters immediately mentioned. I'm also thinking of the wonderful Jean-Luc Baker, a superb ice dancer, and Paul Poirier, another to-die-for male ice dancer with exquisite edges and exceptional partnering skills. Our cups runneth over! :D It's an exciting time right now in general for ice dance and pairs, my favorite disciplines. :watch:

I’m sad he won’t be competing with Eliana this season. I really felt they matched the skating skills and leg line very well.

Eliana & Ian started out skating together very young, so they learned at the same pace and grew to be quite technically proficient. My eye always went to Ian mostly, but Eliana obviously matched Ian very well and they've had some lovely performances. As they progressed in juniors though, I never got the impression that they were all that connected emotionally, despite having started together so young. I'm glad for them that they've both moved on with positivity in spite of the split not being mutual.

My eye still goes to Ian with his new partner, Katarina DelCamp, but she is also physically very striking. There is an engaging light and dark contrast to them, as well as a budding on-ice chemistry. They definitely already exhibit an emotional connection, although their partnership will have to further develop with more time together.

As much as I liked them together [Eliana & Ian], they were not progressing for some reason. I hope the new partnership works out better for [Ian]. I also hope they move to Gadbois next year. Nothing really keeps them in Maryland. Ian graduated high school and his new partner probably never even went to a real school.

It seems to me that Ian has a bit of more spring in his step and he seems even more focused and passionate about his skating. So, he must be happy on this next career journey with his new partner, Katarina DelCamp. Apparently, they are close friends. Katarina is physically very lovely and talented too, but she clearly has to catch up with Ian technically. Katarina is a yoga aficionado and she apparently loves pithy quotes and inspirational sayings. She seems very bright and creative, with an upbeat personality.

Gadbois sounds intriguing for this pair, but Dubreuil/Lauzon/Haguenauer do not accept every team that applies to their camp. Plus, there's already three senior U.S. teams training in Montreal. The timing is probably not right at the moment for more U.S. teams joining Gadbois, albeit Ian/Katarina are still juniors for at least the next two seasons.

Can someone explain why Ian & Katarina aren't yet listed on the 2019-20 U.S. figure skating roster?

Last edited:

platniumangel

Apparently they’re more than close friends which might explain the abrupt end to the partnership with Eliana. I’m not personally okay with 14 year olds dating 18 year olds.... but to each their own. She has since turned 15 and he 19. With everything going on with SafeSport/John Coughlin/ talk about male/female partnership imbalances.... I don’t know if passionate under age dating is the correct image to portray.

Lara111

Apparently they’re more than close friends which might explain the abrupt end to the partnership with Eliana. I’m not personally okay with 14 year olds dating 18 year olds.... but to each their own. She has since turned 15 and he 19. With everything going on with SafeSport/John Coughlin/ talk about male/female partnership imbalances.... I don’t know if passionate under age dating is the correct image to portray.
In this partnership it would be a girl who initiated it.

MsZem

I see the sea

“On Tuesday, September 3rd, at 9:00 AM EDT, Gadbois coaches Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon, and Romain Haguenauer will make a statement via press conference on Facebook Live, followed by a Q&A session. All are invited to participate.”
Perhaps they are ready to announce their engagement with a new sponsor :D

twinklestar

FB Link: facebook.com/events/faceboo…

It's not mysterious, listen to the TSL interview.

MsZem

I see the sea
Can you share more?
Years ago there was this big announcement from Volosozhar and Trankov, who at the time were just dating. It turned out that they were announcing their engagement... with a new sponsor :lol:

I have no idea what the Gadbois coaching team might want to announce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information