The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

It's blocked for me in the U.S. (The message says "Contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds).
You should be able to see it on the livestream this weekend on Daily Motion....junior and senior dance is on Saturday and Sunday as they have entered Quebec summer competition.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I love that FD for them. Their RD not so much.
Their basics still suck BTW.

All the american teams are boring me to death. Little puppy (Ponomarenko) isn't as good as his dad, and she has zero personnality. Skating a flamenco requires at least a bit of personnality, so it doesn't work on them at all. It's everything they're not. And Igor has no clue, as usual.

The others, I'd be more interested in Parsons and new partner. Although their FD is a copy of one of P&C earlier FD. Still, they are pretty good considering the timing.

Snippety whoa wowza! Harsh much! :COP: :drama:

So, Christina C has "zero personnality," eh? But is she a person? Come on. C/P are a good team. Loads better than some of the teams (no names needed) Rusfed has foisted upon the discipline since the good ol' bad ol' days of "puppy Ponomarenko's" parents and the 'can't get to the top cuz of so much depth,' 'angry with each other,' yet utterly sublime Usova/Zhulin, et al.

I see you picky and choosy re the teams and individuals you wish to 'take down' so harshly. That must mean a bit of bitterness being directed toward the recent and continuing widespread strength of North American ice dance, which btw Pap/Ciz's evolution has benefited from. Just sayin' :p

You are so very harsh on our Igor, and the resplendent Wheaton crew, eh! Mayhap because they have spectacularly helped to teach, nurture and elevate talented young NA ice dancers. :cheer2:

Bigbird

Snippety whoa wowza! Harsh much! :COP: :drama:

So, Christina C has "zero personnality," eh? But is she a person? Come on. C/P are a good team. Loads better than some of the teams (no names needed) Rusfed has foisted upon the discipline since the good ol' bad ol' days of "puppy Ponomarenko's" parents and the 'can't get to the top cuz of so much depth,' 'angry with each other,' yet utterly sublime Usova/Zhulin, et al.

I see you picky and choosy re the teams and individuals you wish to 'take down' so harshly. That must mean a bit of bitterness being directed toward the recent and continuing widespread strength of North American ice dance, which btw Pap/Ciz's evolution has benefited from. Just sayin' :p

You are so very harsh on our Igor, and the resplendent Wheaton crew, eh! Mayhap because they have spectacularly helped to teach, nurture and elevate talented young NA ice dancers. :cheer2:

No really, in this instance I agree on some points notably concerning C/P. Neither of their programs do anything for me. The RD goes nowhere and a flamenco needs the stylings of P/C, Hurtado and Diaz or simply Elena Ilinykh all by her lonesome. Carreira is a lovely skater but her approach to flamenco is flatter than a crepe smothered with real maple syrup. Igor is just absolutely clueless here. He needs Marina back in his life. He needs back his mojo, because she's absconded to Florida with it all.

Spiralgraph

Gee isn't it a little early to be judging C/P against the memory of Anthony's parents? C/P are barely two years at the senior level and K/P were at the top of their game winning Olympic medals at three successive Olympics the last being Gold. It's unfair to judge Christina and Anthony while they're both teenagers still growing as a team to the mature sublime skating of Klimova and Ponomerenko.

C

casken

Marie is right. C&P's FD is the usual Shpilband dreck; Grabbing onto each other passing as dance holds, same recycled "highlights" we've been seeing for years, not one piece of memorable connecting movement or choreography, slow, plodding, etc... He couldn't even find them original music, he just recycled V&M's flamenco music. (And maybe B&A's music?) My mind kept wandering becuase there was nothing of interest happening.

No comparison to K&P is even needed.

platniumangel

No really, in this instance I agree on some points notably concerning C/P. Neither of their programs do anything for me. The RD goes nowhere and a flamenco needs the stylings of P/C, Hurtado and Diaz or simply Elena Ilinykh all by her lonesome. Carreira is a lovely skater but her approach to flamenco is flatter than a crepe smothered with real maple syrup. Igor is just absolutely clueless here. He needs Marina back in his life. He needs back his mojo, because she's absconded to Florida with it all.

It is their first competition of the season, so the program can grow as time goes on. Pasquale is in the mix too now so it’s not just Igor.

Marina doesn’t seem to produce anything interesting (to me) as of late either. Ever since Massimo left.

Bigbird

It is their first competition of the season, so the program can grow as time goes on. Pasquale is in the mix too now so it’s not just Igor.

Marina doesn’t seem to produce anything interesting (to me) as of late either. Ever since Massimo left.
Sometimes it's not a matter of individual skills but the synergy created when people work together.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
A&P music too IMO.
Still I don't see anything worth wasting my time watching that empty program. She just can't do the flamenco, it's not "her".

C

casken

Are the FD protocols available anywhere yet?

Despite their FD being a step backward from last year, I don't get how M&C were 4th in the FD, unless it was a H&D 4CC situation.

shan

Are the FD protocols available anywhere yet?

Despite their FD being a step backward from last year, I don't get how M&C were 4th in the FD, unless it was a H&D 4CC situation.

I was confused by that too.

VGThuy

Just saw some videos and I think Wheaton is probably the best major U.S. ice dance center to teach basics and edge quality. But they really need some sort of artistic person to package and polish them and/or to delegate teams of outside artists to help them with that. So much potential not presented in the best way.

platniumangel

Just saw some videos and I think Wheaton is probably the best major U.S. ice dance center to teach basics and edge quality. But they really need some sort of artistic person to package and polish them and/or to delegate teams of outside artists to help them with that. So much potential not presented in the best way.

They have a good set up to create teams from a young age, and they are in an area where people can certainly afford to skate. I disagree about the basics/technique and ive never seen one of their programs with choreography that I’ve enjoyed. Lots of awkward positioning in my opinion. Rehashed moves. Hunched posture. Even Lorraine and Quinn. I felt the teams looked quite a bit better when it Greg Z was in the group, but that didn’t work out. It seems they don’t like to bring in other professionals from the skating community and I don’t know why that is. I feel like Wheaton has pull in the US skating community due to their quantity of teams.

I would love to see other groups in the US start focusing on younger skaters/teams and not just junior/seniors.

VGThuy

I don’t know, when I see their edge quality especially the quality that the Parsons had, it’s hard for me to think of another current major ice dance center in the U.S. that teaches that run of the blade. I think Jean-Luc Baker has it though. Madison Hubbell/Zach Donohue have it but they improved immensely under Gadbois and I attribute Hubbell (and Evan Bates) basics to their pre-Pasquale and pre-Igor coaches. I also think the dancers tend to have better extensions on their free legs as well especially when I see a talent like Anthony Ponomarenko not being able to stretch his free leg at all. Lorraine’s posture isn’t so hot but she’s improving and honestly neither was Meryl Davis’s posture and stretch and she was coached by Igor/Marina.

barbarafan

You should be able to see it on the livestream this weekend on Daily Motion....junior and senior dance is on Saturday and Sunday as they have entered Quebec summer competition.
livestream starting for the warmup in about 10-15mins of senior RD. first group is Marjorie & Zack and Fabbri/Ayer in their senior debut. Then Smart/Diez with their Grease then Carolane and Shane.Free dance is tomorrow

believed

barbarafan

shame about that trip right at the start of the finn step for olivia
At least they are getting mileage and feedback...they have to go against the other spanish couple in order to go to worlds and maybe even to go to Europeans. Hope they do it this yr. I love their programs this yr.

Colonel Green

I was saying over the Championnats thread, but I'm still not used to how the couples all stop where the toepick dance would be and then don't do it. Part of me gets excited to see the toepick dance every time.

One or two of the couples at this event subbed there own less-complicated version of it, at least.

So far, I definitely prefer the junior pattern to the senior this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information