The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

I do think L&L are surprisingly talented. Their JW FD was really something else, but right now, they're all potential. Criticisms of their chemistry are painfully valid - they already have a partnership breakup under them, and don't look like they have much rapport. They move together beautifully despite that.
They did a video interview a few months ago where I thought they had a decent friend rapport, but their energies as performers are very, very different, so that will probably continue to be something to navigate in their packaging. Their programs for last year placed heavy emphasis on big drama and playing to the audience.

With Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov breaking up, L/L and Shevchenko/Eremenko are the big junior teams going senior for the upcoming season. In the latter case, they presumably would like to overtake Zahorski/Guerreiro by the 2021/22 season.

One of the storylines going forward to Beijing will be if any of the current younger teams in the US, Canada and Russia can elbow their way onto the 2022 national podium and therefore the Olympic team. In L/L's case, a spot might open of its own if Weaver/Poje bow out, but that would also raise at least the possibility of Canada dropping to 2 spots after 2021 Worlds, so that would still mean they'd have to pass Fourner Beaudry/Sorensen. Russia and USA's third spots look more secure; both Zahorski/Guerreiro and Hawayek/Baker have to know they have targets on their backs.

Dobre

It was of course a very different situations (p/c moved to senior a year or two before they aged out, plus the man and women were the same age).

1 season. I don't see the great difference you are referring to. P&C moved up one season early, probably because they were in a similar situation to various other teams that have moved up one season early--they had a guaranteed spot on the GP due to a Junior World medal (which teams no longer have) and basically a guaranteed host spot (which the Russian and U.S. Junior World medalists haven't had recently because of the depth at home). But it's the same reasoning that likely led Carreira & Ponomarenko and Lajoie & Lagha to move up one season early: one guaranteed spot and very good odds for a second. C&P were not quite high enough on the SB list to get the second berth during the initial draw without Min & Gamelin being skipped over, but it was a post-Olympic year with a lot of openings and Igor probably knew he could get them in. Lajoie & Lagha could be asked to compete for a host berth against Soucisse & Firus over the summer, but I'll be surprised if Canada doesn't get L&L two spots one way or other. Anthony is younger than Christina. Lajoie & Lagha aren't very far apart in age. Maia Shibutani is also 24. The fact that people don't see something coming just means people don't see something coming.

Note: I personally don't have any great expectations for L&L and Shevchenko & Eremenko (probably because I'm fangirling McNamara & Carpenter and I also think C&P have a lot of potential). But I've been really enjoying watching the young teams coming through the pipeline over the past three seasons. I find them quite unpredictable and am looking forward to watching the next couple seasons of teams transition up as well.

Last edited:

sharsk8s

1 season. I don't see the great difference you are referring to. P&C moved up one season early, probably because they were in a similar situation to various other teams that have moved up one season early
Yeah I just realized it was one season because Gabi's birthday is 2 months too early. Even so they were 18/18 their first season on senior while L/L will be 19/20 next season. The point I was more trying to get at is that it is unpredictable what will happen. Especially with such a tight field this quad. I wish L/L and all the other junior teams moving up the best of luck next season.

Dobre

Any thoughts on who will get the 3rd host pick at SA? I would expect only 2 of the top 4 US teams to be there. Maybe C/P gets the third spot because the pickings are pretty slim below them in seniors with Manta/Johnson’s retirement and the junior teams who would have aged out have split. Or USFS might want to give someone new a chance?

Don't know.

I have the following questions:

Is Michael Parsons already repartnered? Is it with Caroline? If he is, does his team think he & said partner could possibly be ready by early fall? Have Erdman & Vlasenko split? Are they mysteriously staying off camera, sticking it out, and working their butts off? Does Efimova have a new partner that is planning to skate for the U.S.? Are any countries other than Japan prepared to pony up and invite McNamara & Carpenter? Does USFS or Gadbois have any reason to want to pit Hubbell & Donohue against Chock & Bates? Is there some reason to believe an SA berth might help Chock & Bates or Hawayek & Baker to make the Final?

H&D, H&B, and C&P seem like your average invite-a-team, skip-a-team, invite-a-team approach should the answers to all of these other questions fall into "Nobody new is going to be ready," "Yes, two other countries are going to pony up and invite M&C," and "No, USFS does not have a good reason to pit H&D and C&B in the same event." But I do not know if those are the real-world answers.

Dobre

Ice Dance Drama Update:

Splits:
The Parsons
Khudaiberdieva & Nazarov
Gropman & Somerville
Kuts & Mikhailov (She is on IPS)
Ichilov & Davidovich (He is on IPS)
Orihara & Royer
Haines & Koszuta (He is on IPS)
Peterson & Schuster (She is on IPS)
Wolfkostin & Zhao (He is on IPS)
Efimova & Petrov
DelCamp & Gart

New Teams:
Min & Eaton (presumably)
Wolfkostin & Chen
DelCamp & Somerville
Ling & Wein
Peterson & Pfisterer
Luft & Schuster (unconfirmed)
Shilling & Petrov
Lavrova & Gart
Orihara & Pirinen

Coaching changes:
Caruso moved to Berlin and is now an official German fed coach.
Koch & Nuchtern moved with Caruso.

Note: In general, I tried to stick with athletes and/or teams that have at least one athlete that has reached the JGP level. For splits, I only included teams that we heard about after their respective Nationals. For new teams, I included teams that had not yet debuted together as of the end of this past season. I've probably forgotten some because I wasn't keeping track as closely as during the last off-season. Just let me know.

Last edited:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
It appears as though Marie-Jade Lauriault and Romain Le Gac will be leaving Montreal and relocating to France as per her instagram.

Are you sure? I read it as they are just changing their affiliation to a different French skating club?
Romain H has just choreographed their programs, so I doubt very much they are leaving Montreal...

sharsk8s

Are you sure? I read it as they are just changing their affiliation to a different French skating club?
Romain H has just choreographed their programs, so I doubt very much they are leaving Montreal...
I agree. I think they are just representing a different french club while training in Montreal. Is there even any coach at this rink who could teach them?

bluebonnets

can you hear me now?

No, I'm not -- I don't have any insights at all and was just sharing the link to her page. I'll edit my post to make it clearer. :)

sharsk8s

Does anyone know where the French team Wagret/Souquet moved? They announced that they were leaving Lyon a few weeks ago (I think they might have been the last senior team there) and it seems like they already moved, they were posting videos at the airport on instagram a little while ago. I am guessing Montreal based on some of the instagram updates but I am not sure. I couldn't imagine Gadbois taking 3 American and 3 French teams at the same time, especially with France only having 2 worlds spots. It seems like a disaster waiting to happen imo.

Dobre

And three Canadian teams possibly trying for the same spot.

It seems like a disaster waiting to happen imo.

This is ice dance. We get to see this probably at least once every 4 years;).

It seems more likely to me that they are going somewhere where the coaches speak French than that they are not, but no, of course I don't know. Thank you for the update though. Let us know when you find out.

RoseRed

There are other ice dance coaches in the Montreal area besides the team at Gadbois. For example, Julien Lalonde, who coaches Fabbri/Ayer (and used to coach Lajoie/Lagha). But of course the Gadbois team are the big names, who people are likely to move for.

Also weren't Fabian Bourzat and Natalie Pechalet starting a dance school in Paris? That would be an option.

VGThuy

synian

Does anyone know where the French team Wagret/Souquet moved? They announced that they were leaving Lyon a few weeks ago (I think they might have been the last senior team there) and it seems like they already moved, they were posting videos at the airport on instagram a little while ago. I am guessing Montreal based on some of the instagram updates but I am not sure. I couldn't imagine Gadbois taking 3 American and 3 French teams at the same time, especially with France only having 2 worlds spots. It seems like a disaster waiting to happen imo.
Cholla in this thread told us there are going to Marina Zueva : https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/news-and-updates-à-la-française-part-trois.98463/page-14

Sylvia

TBD

RoseRed

Pulling this over from the ice dance technical requirements thread:

https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/21275-isu-communication-2257/file
More clarifications of the technical requirements were published today.

The ISU have also confirmed that for 2020/21 the SD will be a folk dance, with seniors having to incorporate the Ravensburger Waltz, and Junior doing the Westminster Waltz.
I really liked some of the ODs in 2010, so I'm looking forward to this theme. But a rhythm dance with a waltz in it obviously doesn't provide as much freedom as an original dance did.

With a waltz pattern selected for 20-21, I'm really curious what we're going to see for the next Olympic season.

RoseRed

Expanding on the point about the Olympic season, here are the patterns since the start of the SD:

2010-11 - Golden Waltz (+waltz or 1-2 of tango, quickstep and foxtrot)
2011-12 - Rhumba (+ 1-3 of Rhumba, Cha Cha, Samba, Mambo, and Merengue)
2012-13 - Yankee Polka (+ 1-3 of polka, march, and waltz)
2013-14 - Finnstep (+ 1-2 of Foxtrot, Charleston, or Swing)
2014-15 - Paso Doble (Spanish dance rhymths)
2015-16 - Ravensburger Waltz (+ any of Polka, March, and Foxtrot)
2016-17 - Midnight Blues (+Swing or hip hop)
2017-18 - Rhumba (+other Latin American Rhythms)
2018-19 - Tango Romantica
2019-20 - Finnstep (Musical theme)
2020-21 - Ravensburger Waltz (Folk theme)

If they go with a previously used (in the senior SD/RD) pattern, then there are 8 options. There may be other possibilities from the compulsories, but I'm not as familiar with that. So from those 8, we can easily eliminate Tango Romantica, Finnstep and Ravensburger Waltz as too recent, Rhumba because it was used at the last Olympics and Golden Waltz since they won't do two waltzes in a row likely. So that would leave Yankee Polka, Midnight Blues and Paso Doble.

Colonel Green

With a waltz pattern selected for 20-21, I'm really curious what we're going to see for the next Olympic season.
I think they should bring back the blues/hip hop from the 2016/17 season. The Olympics are when the sport reaches its broadest audience, and I think that style of program probably has the most potential to attract interest, get lots of video shares, etc.

V/M’s Prince routine I think would have been absolutely huge in terms of attention if they had done it at the Olympics.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
If they go with a previously used (in the senior SD/RD) pattern, then there are 8 options. There may be other possibilities from the compulsories, but I'm not as familiar with that. So from those 8, we can easily eliminate Tango Romantica, Finnstep and Ravensburger Waltz as too recent, Rhumba because it was used at the last Olympics and Golden Waltz since they won't do two waltzes in a row likely. So that would leave Yankee Polka, Midnight Blues and Paso Doble.

There's also the Cha Cha Congelado, Silver Samba (but I think this has been kept to Juniors in the past?), Austrian Waltz (unlikely to get 2 waltzes as you said), and maybe the Argentine Tango or Quickstep. The other patterns would be too simple. Or perhaps one of the new patterns that are in development? Probably not the Rhumba d'Amor as it's too similar to the the last Olympics, but maybe the Maple Leaf March or Tea-Time Foxtrot. ETA: although, now I think about it, the :argue: over the advantage that G/P or K/S could have means that we wouldn't see those patterns until the original teams involved have retired.

Last edited:

chameleonster

I believe the Maple Leaf March and Tea Time Foxtrot aren't allowed to be used at the senior level until G/P and K/S respectively are no longer competing. I know they're in the process of creating more patterns but I don't think they'll be ready in time for the Olympic season.

I have to say, I wish we were using the Yankee Polka or at least the Golden Waltz for the Folk pattern.

RoseRed

I am thinking either Paso or Midnight Blues with a hip-hop type RD again
I think that could be a really good choice for an Olympic year, in terms of the possibility of being very modern and accessible to a non-skating audience.

Also, I personally really liked the SD that year, so it would make me selfishly happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information