The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

chantilly

I think c and b had great tango tude and an awesome lift as always but I thought her free leg positions need a lot of work. And there was a fair amount of distance between them. However I thought in general they have improved on basics and deserve good PCS.

Bigbird

Anyhoo, Loboda and Shibnev just performed their RD at a local Russian competition. The score was 56 and change. I did not dare bring a link as they looked so disappointed. Shibnev was flat and Loboda not much better. It really makes you realize how good a coach Morozov was for him. He made a really harmonious match with Vasilisa but was completely out of his depth with Ilinykh. But this sort of looks sad. :(

EDIT: Just in case I was being too harsh, here is the link. Loboda and Shibnev
Looking back on it they have their merits its just that I feel their styles clash. He is very classical, nice lines, subtle but with not much power and not even a hint of tango attitude, Loboda tries but she needs much more refinement. In terms of size they're not too bad its just that their styles clash. I look at him and think what a waste of a cute little figure. :p:D;)

Last edited:

Cayuse

Anyhoo, Loboda and Shibnev just performed their RD at a local Russian competition. The score was 56 and change. I did not dare bring a link as they looked so disappointed. Shibnev was flat and Loboda not much better. It really makes you realize how good a coach Morozov was for him. He made a really harmonious match with Vasilisa but was completely out of his depth with Ilinykh. But this sort of looks sad. :(

More proof on why teams should stay together.

C

casken

Eh, C&B's FD has the same construction issues that S&K's does. A lot of posing and slow skating right when the music calls for them to move out.

The RD is unremarkable, other than it's nice to see them skating in closed hold so much.

They do look smoother and edgier, and they're not doing the same recycled Shpilband "holds" and transitions, so good for them.

chantilly

Well done by C and B. Much preferred the first part. The second part was a bit cheesy for me. Their lifts are fab as always. Nice to see Evan stand out a bit more then in the past.
It was well skated and their basics seem better but I think this music choice is pretty generic and pedestrian.

Honestly think they’re better than this choice. Sorry Gadbois. Kudos on the improvements as skaters, but the music and choreography is pretty cringe worthy in parts.

Bigbird

Well done by C and B. Much preferred the first part. The second part was a bit cheesy for me. Their lifts are fab as always. Nice to see Evan stand out a bit more then in the past.
It was well skated and their basics seem better but I think this music choice is pretty generic and pedestrian.

Honestly think they’re better than this choice. Sorry Gadbois. Kudos on the improvements as skaters, but the music and choreography is pretty cringe worthy in parts.

I thought it was cute. Me likey, let's see what they give us next season :)

Barbara Manatee

I think C/B FD has tons of potential but right now it doesn't flow well, especially the opening. It's almost as if they designed the dance to start with that cool handography bit, but then they couldn't get the twizzles to fit in to the program so they pulled them out and stuck them on the front. Each separate part is quite good but it doesn't feel like a whole to me.

Regardless, it's great to see them back out there and skating so well!

Bigbird

Eh, C&B's FD has the same construction issues that S&K's does. A lot of posing and slow skating right when the music calls for them to move out.

The RD is unremarkable, other than it's nice to see them skating in closed hold so much.

They do look smoother and edgier, and they're not doing the same recycled Shpilband "holds" and transitions, so good for them.

Teams just need to start working on having that complete package, because to me only P/C (special mention to G/F and H/B) have two solid programs I absolutely dig. I preferred H/D's original RD, not everything has to push the aggressive side of tango all the time. It's either someone has a great RT and a snooze fest for the FD or vice versa. But at least it starting to look more competitive in the top five.

mjb52

This year is sort of unpredictable with two big teams out for so long. Hard to tell what the pecking order is going in to Worlds and with the top teams separated by Euros and 4CC I think it will stay pretty ambiguous, it's interesting.

Tak

I just watched the video of C/B FD. Was so disappointed. I thought it was boring, and Chock is never boring. Much as I have never been a fan of his choreography, Igor's programs for them was so much better than this drek.

VGThuy

Their last two FDs were helped immensely by outside choreographers. I think what I'm looking forward to with their move to Montreal is giving Evan some space to actually be a performer again. He had more presence with Emily Samuelson with their old coaches/choreographers who knew how to use what they really had in him. I felt Igor put him in the background to just be Madison's support for her to show off her performance side for way too long.

Viscaro

I really like both of C/B programs. Of course, we could get a better idea of it with higher qualities videos. I had not quite followed the story in their FD though, the Fever then Burning thing went way over my head. And yeah, Evan is not only there to present Madison anymore, which is nice.

I am not convinced yet by that predictions of doom that will come to the Gadbois teams. Gadbois won't stay the top training camp forever and ever, but for now, I think moving there was a good idea for C/B. I wondered for a long time what they would look like without Igor. They needed a change and they got it.

lauravvv

It's your opinion. In my opinion, it's one of the best RDs of the season.

I can understand "generic", because 'Fever' is very popular (although I have not seen that many fugure skating programs to it), but what is so "cheesy", "pedestrian" and "cringe worthy" about the program, music and/or choreography? Is it Elvis - one of the greats of the non-classical music? The theme and those not so super deep lyrics of the specific songs? Or something else?

chantilly

It's your opinion. In my opinion, it's one of the best RDs of the season.

I can understand "generic", because 'Fever' is very popular (although I have not seen that many fugure skating programs to it), but what is so "cheesy", "pedestrian" and "cringe worthy" about the program, music and/or choreography? Is it Elvis - one of the greats of the non-classical music? The theme and those not so super deep lyrics of the specific songs? Or something else?
The choreography. I like Elvis, love him but I don’t often see skaters skating well to his music. The choreography in the Elvis section particularly the posing parts.
Fever seems to my memory a popular skating song choice. It’s just a bit meh of a song choice but they skate that section well. But still I find it uninspired.

If they had of maybe chosen Love me Tender, I think it would have been a better choice.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m pretty happy with the FD, it’s absolutely true that there’s a lot more Evan and a lot less dependence on Madison’s OOT expression. Their edges and unison look great and a couple of those lifts are :eek:

It will be really fun at Worlds this year, with C/B and W/P coming in as wild cards who won’t have faced some of the other top teams, no clear Russia #1 and some unpredictable judging.

deegee

that lift right before the pairs spin :eek::eek::eek:

this is the best fd they've done in a while just in terms of how well the program highlights their improvement! they're moving with so much more flow and ease than before. thank goodness. as much as i've preferred h/d the last couple of years, i wouldn't mind this fd beating h/d's r&j program and us nats :p

VGThuy

that lift right before the pairs spin :eek::eek::eek:

this is the best fd they've done in a while just in terms of how well the program highlights their improvement! they're moving with so much more flow and ease than before. thank goodness. as much as i've preferred h/d the last couple of years, i wouldn't mind this fd beating h/d's r&j program and us nats :p

If C/B somehow win the FD but lose Nats overall, that will be the third Nationals in a row where that happened to them.

muffinplus

I’m pretty happy with the FD, it’s absolutely true that there’s a lot more Evan and a lot less dependence on Madison’s OOT expression. Their edges and unison look great and a couple of those lifts are :eek:

It will be really fun at Worlds this year, with C/B and W/P coming in as wild cards who won’t have faced some of the other top teams, no clear Russia #1 and some unpredictable judging.

I think the Russia #1 is pretty clear at this point...

Dobre

Their last two FDs were helped immensely by outside choreographers. I think what I'm looking forward to with their move to Montreal is giving Evan some space to actually be a performer again.

I was very much hoping for it, but I didn't see it. Not in the FD at all. I just think if you're going to do Elvis & Fever, you'd better bring something new to the table and it didn't happen here. So why bother?

On the flip side of the coin, I liked the RD. It has a similar feeling of maturity to Guignard & Fabbri's RD, which is a nice change for both teams. Felt like something in between G&F and Hawayek & Baker's program, but some nice relationship touches that worked well.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Chock and Bates did a better job with the RD in the exhibition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faGnTRLVE1E

I am looking forward to see this RD improve over the rest of the season! For me, there is a lot to like in it:
It has a definite tango feel, and the TR is seamlessly incorporated. It has a real story. And It has no bandoneon in it. ;)

As to the FD, that combination lift that is basically a serpentine curved lift is amazing!

lauravvv

If they had of maybe chosen Love me Tender, I think it would have been a better choice.
If they were going for Elvis and a jazzy feel at the same time, 'Fever' seems a more appropriate choice. With 'Tender' it would have been a different, more lyrical feeling, and they also would have been accused for "blending in" with Gadbois even more.

Perhaps I haven't been a figure skating fan long enough to remember all those 'Fever' programs (was watching already in the 80s as a child, but then stopped for quite a long time, and started watching again only in 2005). But in recent memory I think there have not been that many 'Fever' programs at a high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information