The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

So who gets spot number 10 at Europeans? (I find that one to be quite unpredictable).

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Yes for all the F-B/S love here, I've been a big fan for some years now but that Spanish Caravan program is just amazing and is absolutely their break-out program imo. I'm glad they kept it so. I'll miss them at Euros though, they could have done great.

cocotaffy

W/P's tango is definitely their stronger program this year because that FD looks like a simplified version of their bitter earth FD. I'd have to check but I believe most the lifts are close to identical which gives it such a familiar feel plus the music is just too cheesy, not my cup of tea at all. However, they look happier than ever being back competing, no more puky face from Poje.
As for G/P, skating after the smoothness of F-B/S didn't help for me and it also made their program look more open. The novelty is wearing off but I have never been as head over heels about this FD as most, just a personal taste though. However, it's not the first time I have that issue with their programs, I'm very excited about them at the start of the season, the disco SD comes to mind, this season Tango too, even last year Latin with the sleeves' trick but then it doesn't survive multiple viewings. I have a fondness for this team and appreciate the fact they are different bringing lots of originality but sometimes it does feel a tad contrived like an art student project.
Onward to US and Euros. I can't wait to see C/B facing H/D. C/B's tango was meh for me but their FD, I really liked. It reminded me of the energy and confidence they had back in 2015 skating to an American in Paris. A bit like W/P, it looks like they have been rejuvenated, it's great to see. Let's see at Nationals with a second outing for C/B but as much as I like H/D, I think I might prefer C/B's FD this season. I never thought I'd say something like this one day :drama: However, I still believe H/D, barring major mistakes, will retain their title and I won't complain :D

Ka3sha

I think it'll be Papadakis/Cizeron and Sinitsina/Katsalapov 1 and 2 barring some disaster from either of them (I think P/C can afford a disaster if they skate one outstanding program unless S/K's politicking has them close enough behind). I think the bronze will be between Stepanova/Bukin and Guignard/Fabbri. The fifth FD slot will be between the two Spanish teams (my money going to Hurtado/Khaliavin over Smart/Diaz but that's personal opinion), Fear/Gibson, and Kaliszek/Spodyriev (for political reasons). Maybe Lauriault/Le Gac can place 5th. I may be underrating L/LG because I think parts of that Bruno Mars FD are utterly ridiculous looking.
Agree, but I still don't completely buy Nikita's sudden consistency..
I also think that a lot will still depend on tango levels. P/C are probably the only ones who can afford themselves some levels two, but S/K, S/B and G/F will need every point to win the battle for silver/bronze.

So who gets spot number 10 at Europeans? (I find that one to be quite unpredictable).
Evdokimova/Buzin, I guess. Or they will be fighting for #9 with L/LG

--
Two interviews with Russian dancers prior to Euros:
Stepanova/Bukin for TASS (translated by fs-gossips)
Evdokimova/Buzin for Rsport (in Russian, but google translator did an ok job)

Last edited:

Dobre

I think maybe Turkkila & Versluis could get it. SB score says Evdokimova & Bazin. These two teams split results this season. Can name at least a few other teams I should maybe not overlook: Koch & Nuchtern had high RD scores at Golden Spin, Tweedale & Buckland defeated Fear & Gibson a couple times in the RD this season, Reed & Ambrulevicius will have had some time now to respond to the feedback they received on the GP.

Turkkila & Versluis defeated Evdokimova & Bazin and Popova & Mozgov head-to-head in CS and GP level competition this season. But both times it was in Finland. Still, I wouldn't have expected it to happen at all, and it did. T&V are a bit too "naturally pretty" for my taste. I find that often teams that are don't have the performance chops. But all of these teams have work to do on performance. And I think T&V have a nice RD this season.

Are Nazarova/Nikitin still with Shpilband? I had high hopes for them a couple years ago.

No, they are with Bourzat. And they pulled out of Ukrainian Nationals halfway through the event this year so they will not be at Europeans:(. (Someone--I think, Sylvia?--said one of them was injured after a fall they took in the RD there). Popova & Byelikov are representing Ukraine at Europeans. I don't think we know yet who will represent the country at Worlds.

Last edited:

Icetigger

W/P's tango is definitely their stronger program this year because that FD looks like a simplified version of their bitter earth FD. I'd have to check but I believe most the lifts are close to identical which gives it such a familiar feel plus the music is just too cheesy,

I hear "camembert" in the lyrics at one point. But I am not a French speaker.

mjb52

I liked that Stepanova and Bukin interview a lot and admire how they have handled what happened with the Olympics, I don't think I could have done even about 1% as well in a situation like that to be honest. They have managed to show they consider it unjust without ever seeming bitter or letting it diminish their hard work and aspirations for the future and that's not easy. I hope that their rivalry with S/K can push both teams forward and that neither is "dumped" in favor of the other as we have sometimes seen in the past. There is no reason Russia can't have two strong young teams contending for medals (or hopefully three, b/c I would like to see Z/G come back strong next year as well).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Thank you @Michalle 😘
They will, as Tiff is now getting intensive rehabilitation on her knees and is starting to heal! :)

This (missing the worlds this year) could be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps she needs this rest in order to heal and come back strong for the next 3-4 years. Preparing for worlds while injured could have prevented or slowed down the healing.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

They will, as Tiff is now getting intensive rehabilitation on her knees and is starting to heal! :)
So nice to hear it!

Does anyone prefer last year's version of F-B/S FD? Is it a lot different?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzgvAYhthJk
I was thinking about it yesterday.. I liked their new sliding move, but overall I think I prefer their last year's version of the program - the second part of the dance didn't grab my attention yesterday the way it did last year.
At the same time I have to say that , in my opinion, FB/S have improved a lot since last year Europeans and looked polished, strong and very confident at Nationals

Last edited:

Dobre

I like the new version of Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen's FD best. Of course, a lot of that is because they never reached the polished stage last season; but I've thought both times I've seen it this year that it had much more of an impact.

cocotaffy

I have always disliked that FD. Last night however they flipped a switch and it came to life for me. :)
They both have gained in confidence imo. He looked so commanding and sleek while she looked self-assured and has a great posture especially in the most Flamenco inspired moves. They have grown a lot performance wise over their long break. Great work from the whole team.

Sk8tn

They've said they added him to their team as a part-time coach and were spending some time in Detroit working with him, although Nikolai is still their main coach. And he did their RD.
And it’s probably my favorite program from Igor Shpilband since Punsalan and Swallow’s Tango GF in 98.

lauravvv

It seems like the outcome of Canadian Nationals actually came down to the level calls in the Rhythm Dance.
Yes, but Gilles/Poirier's FD win was also because of Weaver/Poje's level 2 spin. It would have been very close, though. With the same levels in the RD and a level 4 spin for W/P in their FD, they would have been even closer, but W/P would still have won.

I'd love to see Fear/Gibson finish higher up than that and surprise everyone. I wouldn't bet on it, but I would love to see it!
Look at their RD - it is/has been much weaker than their FD. Against who do you think they could win with it - Guignard/Fabbri or Stepanova/Bukin? Stepanova/Bukin's RD is not that great either because it's not very tango-like at all, but, if you look at it simply as a program, it's quite impressive, and the execution is still on another level than F/G's.

Does anyone prefer last year's version of F-B/S FD? Is it a lot different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzgvAYhthJk
It is quite different, especially in the second half. There are places that I preferred in the old version and places that I felt were actually a bit smoother in that Euros performance vs. this Nationals, but I can see that the new version is more complex and I can also see their overall improvement.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Look at their RD - it is/has been much weaker than their FD. Against who do you think they could win with it - Guignard/Fabbri or Stepanova/Bukin? Stepanova/Bukin's RD is not that great either because it's not very tango-like at all, but, if you look at it simply as a program, it's quite impressive, and the execution is still on another level than F/G's.

Which is why I said, "I wouldn't bet on it." ;)

Dobre

Do we know the judges for Euros yet?

Not the final draw yet. The judging pool, I think, was announced earlier; but the document must have been taken down off the ISU website because the links on the old thread as well as the ones on ice-dance.com don't work.

Caller: Baranov
Assistant Caller: Dostatni
Controller: Rettstatt

Debbie S

Not the final draw yet. The judging pool, I think, was announced earlier; but the document must have been taken down off the ISU website because the links on the old thread as well as the ones on ice-dance.com don't work.
It's still up there, I was able to go to the ISU website a couple weeks ago and search for it.

Dobre

It's still up there, I was able to go to the ISU website a couple weeks ago and search for it.

If you happen to have time, perhaps you can provide sharsk8s with the link? I obviously don't know where to go for it. I tried about three different links to the original article two days ago, but they all took me to a this-page-isn't-working screen on the ISU website. Anyway, the final judging list will be updated here eventually:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/ec2019/SEG007OF.HTM

yurokis40

Dostani on the tech panel P&C better be on there game here , one of the few callers who doesn't ignore their mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information