#TeamTrainwreck 21: Ride until the fantasy ends!

Amy L

I just went to do an online lesson in Russian and lesson one is how to say I love you and lesson two is how to say I'm married... 🤔:scream:

When I was in Russia ~20 years ago I got scolded by an elderly Ukranian woman about why I was neither married or engaged or gasp even had a boyfriend. I was 20 years old at the time and I was dangerously close to becoming a spinster. My host mom told the lady to shush because Americans are different :lol: If you're a woman you would likely be asked about your relationship status so I guess it's a useful sentence to know. I'm not crazy about the female version of "I'm married" because it literally means "I walk behind my husband". But no one who invented the language is still alive so I don't know what anyone is supposed to do about it, so... 🤷‍♀️

What kind of online lesson is it? Because if you have a tutor, you can ask them how to say the most important sentences for us, like "She didn't give Eteri flowers!"

I was thinking about doing a zoom chat tutor thing to get my Russian skillz back but then I'd have to pay money to talk to people, so I guess I'm out. :blocjudge < - - - hermit Amy

mjb52

Showing how dark my thoughts are, I was thinking it was a married man engaging in some act of seduction tbh! :) First he gets her to think he loves her and only then does he reveal he is married (this may be my background in creative writing talking). But I like your cultural analysis better.

I'm doing babbel, I find it a lot better than duolingo - it's just a pre-formatted lesson though not a live person.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I just went to do an online lesson in Russian and lesson one is how to say I love you and lesson two is how to say I'm married... 🤔:scream:

I started off with duolingo, it really helped me.
I have finished Russian for English speakers, and am now doing it in reverse, English for Russian speakers.
It is strangely very different in the latter direction, with emphasis on very different things, such as trust, belief, mortgages, exchange rates and currencies...

mjb52

Duolingo was really good for me with French but I found its Russian lessons so repetitive! Maybe it's improved since then? I went through French for English speakers twice and then tried to do it in reverse (English for French speakers) which I think is really valuable but I got lazy and stopped, probably because it was hard work! Eteri would definitely buy me flowers and send me on my way lol.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I'm doing babbel, I find it a lot better than duolingo - it's just a pre-formatted lesson though not a live person.

Better than both of these, I'm really progressing in speaking thanks to tandem learning.
I found my Russian penpal on a language exchange site and she is just perfect.
We Skype once a week.
It works really well as we are both the same age, at a very similar level in our respective languages and are both very careful to ensure that neither language dominates.

It also helps that I am an English teacher, as I ensure our calls are based loosely around an excellent book, so there is structure.

At first it was so funny, we laughed so much, as we were not even capable of forming a sentence.
It was like the blind leading the blind.

I can highly recommend it, but take some time to choose the right person.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Daša Grm posted on her Insta that she worked with Ulla Papp (coach/mother of the Finnish skating siblings) and Tom Dickson (who choreographed her new FS) during the ISU's figure skating training camp & seminar in Celje, Slovenia, July 21-August 1, 2020: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDYIXouFMnj/
Sylvia posted this news in the OES forum.

A Tom Dickson FS! I hope she's had a chance to heal.

It was always fun to see the Papp kids at BC Summerskate.

mjb52

Better than both of these, I'm really progressing in speaking thanks to tandem learning.
I found my Russian penpal on a language exchange site and she is just perfect.
We Skype once a week.
It works really well as we are both the same age, at a very similar level in our respective languages and are both very careful to ensure that neither language dominates.

I actually really do want to do this, I'm just shy! I'll work my way up to it eventually!

I wish I had some skating content to add but I can't think of any. :) I guess that I hope we start seeing the new programs in one way or another sometime soon-ish now that we're hearing more about them!

Amy L

I tried duolingo but all the sentences were about f'kin apples! It got repetitive and boring so I checked out. I really just want to understand skater interviews and competition commentary. I want to go back to Russia someday (my family & I were trying for next year but the universe said NYET) but I remember the basic stuff anyway. I think I could probably still get around okay without needing a lot of help. Realistically I'm not going to get into that many conversations because I try avoiding that in my regular life. No matter what country I'm in I'm gonna be avoidy. 🤷‍♀️ I was also once told by a professor that I had one of the worst accents she'd ever heard so that's not very motivating.

mjb52

oh god my professor tried to scare us about pronouncing words too in this way that in retrospect was sort of sexist. Sorry to turn this into a Russian learning thread lol. I did find a couple of cool resources on youtube - one was slow Russian, where everything was pronounced slowly to make it easier to follow, and there was one with famous scenes from movies first in Russian and then broken down in English or something like that? There was a good one with a scene from Jurassic Park. I'm too lazy to do it now b/c I should be sleeping but I'll track them down tomorrow and edit this post or put them in a new one if the post is un-editable.

SKATING CONTENT: skating is good and I like it.

Amy L

Here's an IG post for ya. NotPolina trying to be artsy and/or sexy I guess??? But to me it looks more like she's giving herself an eyewash :huh: Very TTW style!

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Here's an IG post for ya. NotPolina trying to be artsy and/or sexy I guess??? But to me it looks more like she's giving herself an eyewash :huh: Very TTW style!

She's too young to be pouring water on her face

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Miki shows her daughter the first time
The translation makes no sense, @rosewood can you help? 😇
It's 0:30 am here and I don't have enough time to translate her post but she together with her daughter appeared on a TV show tonight. According to Miki's IG post, her daughter didn't want to hide her face any more, so it was the reason Miki showed their daily life on a TV show tonight. I didn't watch the TV show so I can't explain about the show itself.

J

Jeschke

Based on latest GP news, the chances of an epic Perkova GP return have never been better :love:
Alongside Stasia with debuts by Nugu and Gubanova.

Same goes for Khuda/Bazin debut.

Make it happen :drama:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information