Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The pressure at the RN could be greater than the Olympic pressure, IMO. Whoever (women's field) survives it, will handle the Olympic pressure.
Or it could be a situation where there is such a let down in pressure that they aren't focused and able to peak again.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
lso, he was a relatively lower level skater, so he would have more choices. Ilynikh had bronze at Olympics, she was in top five or six in the world. That’s a different situation than a skater who looked promising but has never even qualify for worlds.
He was a Junior World Champion with his sister, and the silver medalist the year before that. He had a few accomplishments on his own.

Chock and Bates were both lucky that Bates and Samuelson had switched to Shpilband, who was only too happy to match them up. Had Samuelson/Bates stayed with Chesnichenko and Nechaeva, it might not have happened, or at least happened so quickly.

hanca

Values her privacy
He was a Junior World Champion with his sister, and the silver medalist the year before that. He had a few accomplishments on his own.

Sure he was junior world champion, but we were comparing how easy or difficult it is to find a new partner. At his level (junior world champion) it is still a different level than being in top five in the world and having Olympic bronze medal.

becca

No, all 6 spots would NOT have been Russia's, had the results remained exactly the same at NHK with Trusova finishing 4th. Not to mention, when Usacheva injured herself and withdrew from NHK as well, it changed the dynamic and "must deliver" stress levels for both Kostornaia at IdF and Khromykh at RC. We can't say that they would have placed where they did under different circumstances.
Do you really think Trusova would have placed fourth I think that’s pushing it.

hanca

Values her privacy
Medvedeva and Enbert/potential partner would need all high pairs elements not just jumps

They will at least comepete with
Mishina / Galliamov, Boikova / Kozlovski, Pavlychenk / Khodykin, Artemeva / Nazrychev, Kahbibullina / Kynazhuk

Can Enbert land triple Lutz like Med ?
We were discussing whether a Russian lady could switch to pairs. It is a theoretical discussion, not any real plan. I doubt the partner would be Enbert because he had to retire with Zabijako because he has serious heart problems; I can’t see how he could return to elite competition. So whether he can land a triple lutz or not is not really relevant.

Of course Medvedeva and the potential partner would need all high elements, but it is not that hard to learn them if you have experienced pair skater. Antipova learned them within a year and Marchei too - it is not impossible.

Yes, they would have to compete against Boikova/Kozlovski, Mishina/Galliamov, Pavliuschenko/Khodykin etc. If you look back at my post, that’s what I said - she could get relatively easy to world level pair skating, but it wouldn’t guarantee her to get to Europeans or worlds, because of the competition within Russia. But it is not impossible. All pairs are doing roughly the same difficulty, no one does quads or anything like that. If she got the same elements, it is mostly about consistency. When a pair is consistent, the judges suddenly start rewarding them.

skategal

Bunny mama
Just a few years before the I/K split, both Vanessa Crone and Emily Samuelson were unable to find someone new after their partnerships ended. Samuelson competed briefly with Todd Gilles, but Crone's ice dance career ended completely. They weren't quite as accomplished as Ilinykh, but they were good skaters who had finished in the top ten at Worlds and medalled at 4CC and on the GP circuit.

It is easier for men to find a new partner, but even then there are no guarantees.
Vanessa Crone actually found a great new partner with Nik Sorensen and trained with him for a month or so before telling him she was going to retire.

She didn’t have the drive to keep going further.

If she didn’t retire, we would have never had the awesomeness of Fournier Beaudry/Sorenson.

Hard to imagine that now. :eek:

Stephanie

Or it could be a situation where there is such a let down in pressure that they aren't focused and able to peak again.
Maria Sotskova was a very good example of this. She herself admitted in an interview that she put so much focus on the Russian nationals that she couldn't replicate her strong performances there at worlds, Olympics (2x8th at worlds, 8th at the Olympics) or euros (4th twice).

Tobbe

No, all 6 spots would NOT have been Russia's, had the results remained exactly the same at NHK with Trusova finishing 4th. Not to mention, when Usacheva injured herself and withdrew from NHK as well, it changed the dynamic and "must deliver" stress levels for both Kostornaia at IdF and Khromykh at RC. We can't say that they would have placed where they did under different circumstances.
Well, if Trusova had been there, it is more likelier scenario that she would have won. She had that injury alreay at SA and only did one quad that ended in a comfortable win. And she could have done the same at NHK. Kaori would have been second and therefore out of GPF.

Scott512

The pressure at the RN could be greater than the Olympic pressure, IMO. Whoever (women's field) survives it, will handle the Olympic pressure.
I agree with you about the pressure at Russian nationals versus the Olympics.

The question I have will they and by the way I mean the Russian figure skating federation will they do crazy stuff like not take the top 3 nationals and make them the Olympic team for the ladies or will they make them do a skate off at Europeans if it's say Liza and sasha?

The 1st spot is 100% secure - Kamila

The 2nd spot is 80% secure - Anna

The 3rd spot is up for grabs.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I agree with you about the pressure at Russian nationals versus the Olympics.

The question I have will they and by the way I mean the Russian figure skating federation will they do crazy stuff like not take the top 3 nationals and make them the Olympic team for the ladies or will they make them do a skate off at Europeans if it's say Liza and sasha?

The 1st spot is 100% secure - Kamila

The 2nd spot is 80% secure - Anna

The 3rd spot is up for grabs.
Hard to tell about the number three spot. I think the national champ gets an automatic entry. I assume it will be Kamila. Anna will need to skate great with at least one quad to get the second berth.
If 3-4-5 are very close at nationals they may go for the skate off but I can't read their minds. :)

Karen-W

Hard to tell about the number three spot. I think the national champ gets an automatic entry. I assume it will be Kamila. Anna will need to skate great with at least one quad to get the second berth.
If 3-4-5 are very close at nationals they may go for the skate off but I can't read their minds. :)
National champ does get automatically named to the team. I'm not sure Anna is a lock for the 2nd berth if it's close between her and Tuk (and it could be - their SBs are about 3.5 points apart).

It might also be a situation where the RFSF knows by Nats whether or not Trusova is going to be back. And, if Kostornaia & Khromykh are a good 10-12 points back of Shcher & Tuk, they might just name the team before Euros.

At this point, it really is, IMO, down to Anna, Liza and Sasha for 2nd & 3rd spots.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think that Tuktamysheva and Scherbakova are skating off for the possibility of the second Team Event spot. I don't think any of the teams waited until the deadline after the shorts to decide what to do for the frees, although there are two deadlines this year, but Russia might wait to see what happens with Pairs before making that decision, and also to see which five teams are in the Final.

In 2014, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia were only eight points apart at Euros and ~2 points apart at Russian Nationals, the two comps just before Sochi, although Lipnitskaia beat Sotnikova by almost 20 points at GPF, but there's no Russia #2 that's close if Valieva skates up to potential: her "lesser" score at SCI is 23+ points higher than Trusova's and Scherbakova's PBs (within a point of each other), 30 points higher than Tuktamysheva's and Kihira's PBs, 35+ points higher than Sakamoto's PB, and ~18 points higher than Kostornaia's-in-her-prime PB.

Karen-W

Feck, if I was Russia, I'd put my #2 & 3 women in the Team Event and save Kamila for the Women's event gold. Give the other two women a shot at a gold medal because none of them are coming within spitting distance of Kamila.

becca

Feck, if I was Russia, I'd put my #2 & 3 women in the Team Event and save Kamila for the Women's event gold. Give the other two women a shot at a gold medal because none of them are coming within spitting distance of Kamila.
Disagree here the ice is slippery furthermore she could use the experience on warm up to singles

SLIVER

I think Russian Fed deep down probably doesn’t care who goes to the Olympics because whichever 3 are likely to sweep anyway lol.
On a serious note, the only internal Russian politics I see at Nationals is whether it will be an all Tutberize team or whether Mishin gets a spot on that team.
One thing no one is mentioning is how Liza’s PCS this year have ballooned ridiculously. I love her but she’s very slow, the transitions and ice coverage have not really improved yet she is suddenly out scoring skaters like Kostornaia (who has regressed quite a lot to be fair in her PCS).
I have a feeling the Russian Fed does want Liza on this team that PCS push is quite something but right now she would need Anna S or Trusova to bomb nationals for that to happen.
Re who wins the Olympics, I agree with previous posters that Olympics bring odd results. I didn’t anticipate Lipinsky, Huges, Arakawa, or Baiul for that matter. None were favorites in November pre Olympics or skating that well in preparation.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I think Russian Fed deep down probably doesn’t care who goes to the Olympics because whichever 3 are likely to sweep anyway lol.
On a serious note, the only internal Russian politics I see at Nationals is whether it will be an all Tutberize team or whether Mishin gets a spot on that team.
One thing no one is mentioning is how Liza’s PCS this year have ballooned ridiculously. I love her but she’s very slow, the transitions and ice coverage have not really improved yet she is suddenly out scoring skaters like Kostornaia (who has regressed quite a lot to be fair in her PCS).
I have a feeling the Russian Fed does want Liza on this team that PCS push is quite something but right now she would need Anna S or Trusova to bomb nationals for that to happen.
Re who wins the Olympics, I agree with previous posters that Olympics bring odd results. I didn’t anticipate Lipinsky, Huges, Arakawa, or Baiul for that matter. None were favorites in November pre Olympics or skating that well in preparation.
Nationals is a Big spoiler because alot of girls are competing, Tuk could be pushed as low as 7th.
She looked a bit vulnerable with her skate in Rostelecom FS score plumetting to 149, and she could bomb in GPF. It will be a bit shake up if Kostornaia medals there or even Kromykh.

MsZem

I see the sea
We don't need massive changes in the rules but they need to be modified it's overdue. You're more concerned with small countries I'm more concerned with athletes they give their lives to these sports that don't get to go to the big events because because it's a numbers game.
Athletes from smaller countries also dedicate their lives to their sport, and often train under much more challenging conditions than those in countries where the sport is more established. Think about what it's taken for someone like Donovan Carrillo to achieve what he has. The Hendrickx siblings have dealt with a lot of training/logistical challenges, too. There should always be opportunities for skaters from smaller federations to qualify for the highest level of competition.

Every Olympic event that I'm familiar with caps the number of entries that a specific country can send, so there's nothing unusual about skating doing the same.

Marco

For the Russian women's team, I am more inclined to feel that RusFed (have selected and) will stick with Kamila, Liza and Anna. This has nothing to do with the article (which I didn't read anyways). The GPs simply show that these 3 are dominant enough to give Russia a solid (the most solid) shot of podium sweep at the Olympics. This team has the WR breaker, and the reigning top 2 from Worlds, 2 skaters with 3axels and 2 skaters with quads. All 3 are the top scorers and most consistent internationally this season. What more can you ask for?!

Sure Sasha may recover in time for Nationals / Euros to show that she can match Liza or Anna but if this team above is so solid already, why bother risking big picture and considering subbing in a recently injured Sasha? Ora less stable Maiia or Alena? Rus women are so far ahead that any combination of choices wouldn't significantly affect the overall ladies or team results, so I doubt they are looking microscopically into the scores and picking the best team using every single event, since most combinations are likely to get the job done anyways. Stability is key.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Sure Sasha may recover in time for Nationals / Euros to show that she can match Liza or Anna but if this team above is so solid already, why bother risking big picture and considering subbing in a recently injured Sasha? Ora less stable Maiia or Alena? Rus women are so far ahead that any combination of choices wouldn't significantly affect the overall ladies or team results, so I doubt they are looking microscopically into the scores and picking the best team using every single event, since most combinations are likely to get the job done anyways. Stability is key.
counting the eggs before hatching when GPF and Nationals are still to happen

Remember Tuk has a scoring ceiling and tiny mistakes her scores are beatable, I would not trust a skater with a 151-3 max celiling, Kromykh even score 154!

becca

Athletes from smaller countries also dedicate their lives to their sport, and often train under much more challenging conditions than those in countries where the sport is more established. Think about what it's taken for someone like Donovan Carrillo to achieve what he has. The Hendrickx siblings have dealt with a lot of training/logistical challenges, too. There should always be opportunities for skaters from smaller federations to qualify for the highest level of competition.

Every Olympic event that I'm familiar with caps the number of entries that a specific country can send, so there's nothing unusual about skating doing the same.
No one is saying there shouldn’t be a spot for smaller countries if anything I would change how multiple spots are awarded I would rather see a fourth Russian than a third US lady

LoopCombo

Ballooned ridiculously, or finally approximating the PCS of other top skaters with reputation and world medals? Given that she has improved her spins, transitions, and step sequence levels in the past couple of seasons and improved her layout, if her PCS was lower before surely it deserves an increase now. Otherwise it would be as if she had not improved when she has — and even if she is still not the fastest, I’m really impressed at how much she has worked on addressing the criticisms of her weak points.

Marco

And not just PCS but also GOEs on non jump elements. In the SP at the Russian GP, Liza scored higher GOE than Mariah Bell on the layback of all spins.

annie_mg

A few thoughts after Valieva's skate this weekend. She looks to be completely on and I wonder (and hope) if she can keep it up for the next 3 months to come. I think Zagitova peaked right at the right moment in 2018. She was making mistakes in the GPs; then nailed her Olympics programmes, only to completely lose her consistency by Worlds. Valieva will get so much press and pressure leading up to the Olympics, it makes me wonder if she can hold it all together. Three months is a long time.

Secondly, I feel a bit bad for Trusova because Valieva is stealing her thunder in terms of being "the girl who can do quads". Trusova really started it all and she will always be well-known for it, but somehow what makes her so special isn't so special anymore because Valieva can not only do the quads, she can do them well and she can also do spins; skate with emotion, etc, things that Trusova has always lacked.

soogar

National champ does get automatically named to the team. I'm not sure Anna is a lock for the 2nd berth if it's close between her and Tuk (and it could be - their SBs are about 3.5 points apart).

It might also be a situation where the RFSF knows by Nats whether or not Trusova is going to be back. And, if Kostornaia & Khromykh are a good 10-12 points back of Shcher & Tuk, they might just name the team before Euros.

At this point, it really is, IMO, down to Anna, Liza and Sasha for 2nd & 3rd spots.
I love Tuk but I don’t think it‘s close at all between her and Anna. Anna has quads and better presentation/skating skills plus is a rock. She’s already 3 time Russian Nats champ and world champ and does it all without hype. I wouldn’t be surprised if she wins gold at the games. Kamila is going to come in as the favorite and is going to feel the nerves. Anna had nerves of steel and she’s not far behind Kamila in terms of tech- only lack of a triple axel.

I would love to see Tuk on team event but realistically, Russia will go with Anna and Kamila. It would be a real slight not to have Anna skate in team event after all her success and consistency. All the girls will want a chance at team gold.

SLIVER

Ballooned ridiculously, or finally approximating the PCS of other top skaters with reputation and world medals? Given that she has improved her spins, transitions, and step sequence levels in the past couple of seasons and improved her layout, if her PCS was lower before surely it deserves an increase now. Otherwise it would be as if she had not improved when she has — and even if she is still not the fastest, I’m really impressed at how much she has worked on addressing the criticisms of her weak points.
Nope don’t agree sorry. Her spins and step sequence levels should not correlate with this PCS rise .
As Marco said she is getting crazy GOE on some very average elements too, this is definitely a big behind the scenes push. At Skate America in the short she beat Valieva on Interpretation, some judges even had her ahead on SS. She also comfortably beat skaters like Kostornaia, Higuchi and Chen. I am sorry but no. She deserves all her medals and accolades but her PCS are a bit of a joke.

Tobbe

This is an argument that we hear a lot, and frankly, I don't get it. Smaller federations are smaller just because they don't put in the money and effort in the sport. It is as simple as that. And as a result the interest in those countries are lower.

bladesofgorey

This is an argument that we hear a lot, and frankly, I don't get it. Smaller federations are smaller just because they don't put in the money and effort in the sport. It is as simple as that. And as a result the interest in those countries are lower.
So only rich countries/rich skaters who can train in rich countries should be able to participate in the Olympics. As problematic as the Olympics are, part of the Olympic Ideal is that every country can participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information