Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb52

I'm following the World Chess Championships rn and predictably rooting for Nepomniachtchi because I'm incorrigible (although it is hard to deny how fitting it would be for Firouzja to be the one to dethrone Carlsen because he is an awesome young talent) and saw on his twitter that back in the spring last year he congratulated Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva, and Trusova on their sweep at Stockholm Worlds! The reach of skating in Russia extends everywhere, even into the chess world.

Please do not take from this that I 1) am any good at chess (lol no) or 2) understand it at all

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm following the World Chess Championships rn and predictably rooting for Nepomniachtchi because I'm incorrigible (although it is hard to deny how fitting it would be for Firouzja to be the one to dethrone Carlsen because he is an awesome young talent) and saw on his twitter that back in the spring last year he congratulated Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva, and Trusova on their sweep at Stockholm Worlds! The reach of skating in Russia extends everywhere, even into the chess world.

Please do not take from this that I 1) am any good at chess (lol no) or 2) understand it at all
I love playing chess, but the games are too slow to watch. Plus I am too busy to even look for these championships. Good to know they pay attention to FS. I almost forgot that Trusova has a world medal already.

MsZem

I see the sea
Whereas I think the SOK are too harsh with the criteria. Taljegård and Majorov might not go on to place more than top 15 in the world, but to have skaters at the Olympics means a lot for the growth of the sport. I think Taljegård in particular would be a great draw for kids to try out skating, if they got to see her at the Olys.
I'd rather have Taljegård at the Olympics than a hypothetical fourth Russian. She's original, and I also think that she's a good role model, as someone who's stuck with skating while also getting an education and developing other interests.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I'd rather have Taljegård at the Olympics than a hypothetical fourth Russian. She's original, and I also think that she's a good role model, as someone who's stuck with skating while also getting an education and developing other interests.
so your saying skaters who don't stick around don't pursue other interests :confused:, surely they are getting education too.
different people have different goals in life, still the 4th or even the 10th russian can outskate her.

Scott512

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Spun Silver

A propos of nothing, I just reencountered this interview with Anna's parents. She hit the jackpot with them. They are the perfect skating parents. Also, the way they talk about her love of the sport makes me love her even more. Especially the description of what she does when they are running late for practice:
DK: It just seems that sometimes in Russia the parents are much bigger fans of the skating of music than their kids. They drag the kids to the rink, make them work hard. It's not your case at all?
SS (dad): You don't need to make Anna do things. The other way around - if she thinks we might be late on the ice she becomes a little fury. No finishing the eggs, no tying your shoe laces.She is all around you, mad and kicking you out with all her limbs `come on dad! We are late, can't you understand it?!'
Btw, her dad is in IT promotion, whatever that is, and has an interesting approach for increasing the popularity of the sport.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I don't think this has been posted yet -- new interview with Medvedeva where she talks about the extent of her back injury and the jumps she can no longer do.

Sylvia

TBD
Nearly four years from her silver medal performance at PyeongChang 2018 and some two years since she last competed internationally in figure skating, Evgenia Medvedeva has good news for her legions of fans around the world: She’s content.
“I feel like I'm flying through my life and trying so many new things,” she told Olympics.com in an exclusive interview at the Rostelecom Cup in Sochi last week (27 November).

4-min. video that's embedded in the article: https://olympics.com/en/video/evgenia-medvedeva-new-life-figure-skating

Sylvia

TBD
Shcherbakova, Valieva, Khromykh & Kostornaia are filming a segment today for Channel One's "Evening Urgent" show today 12/1].
Short article with Instagram photos embedded:

This episode is scheduled to be broadcast on Friday, December 3 on Russia’s Channel One and also stream live? on YT: https://www.youtube.com/Urgantshow

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Tuktamsyheva must be sweating and having sleepless nights.

Trusova intends to skate and prepearing for Russian Nationals.
she had an interview in Russian Channel One and is alredy training, she also showed an instagarm story skating in GUM square.

I guess its 3rd times Olympics Nada for La Tuk ?
I dont think Tuk will be competitive in 2026.

Ka3sha

I don't think this has been posted yet -- new interview with Medvedeva where she talks about the extent of her back injury and the jumps she can no longer do.

Loved the part about the Olympics
Evgenia Medvedeva: ... I really liked the Olympics. Everything after that was difficult, let’s skip this topic. But at the Olympics itself, in the Olympic village, you feel like you won in life. If someone asked do you want to come back and repeat the Olympics? I would say 100% yes. It was really cool.
- Even if it ended the same way? This is a strong disappointment.
Evgenia Medvedeva:
Strong disappointment. I don’t care. It was very cool for me, I skated a free program – I had never felt such freedom. This is probably the state of Zen that every athlete strives for, but not everyone achieves. This 4 minutes I wasn’t thinking about the program, movements, I was thinking about life.

I do the step sequence in the middle of the program, I look around and ask myself: do you understand that you are at the Olympics? And I say yes. Such a small interview with myself.

The Olympics are like tough, scary, the whole world is watching. You’re scared? No, not at all. And if in the second half you just lie down and wipe the ice like ice resurfacer machine? I do not care.

At that moment as an athlete I was the happiest. Not from a human point of view, but as an athlete – I reached this peak. Like in the “Black Swan” movie – dance and die. It was about the same. I can’t say that it was the best evening then, but the best 4 minutes of my life for sure.

Aleksandra Trusova is back on the ice and preparing for Russian Nationals

Also, Match TV did an interview with Daria Usacheva. She is at home and recovering, the surgery was not needed in the end, she is now waiting for the next health check in two weeks. Hopes for the better and to be back on the ice.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Tuktamsyehva's Christmas Grinch Nightmare

Channel One interview with Trusova

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Tuktamsyehva's Christmas Grinch Nightmare

Channel One interview with Trusova

Seriously? What else is Trusova supposed to say? She's got sponsors who are expecting she will be at Nats. Of course, 3 weeks out, she's going to say she's back on the ice and preparing for Nats. I'm skeptical of her landing any quads if there isn't video evidence to back it up.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Seriously? What else is Trusova supposed to say? She's got sponsors who are expecting she will be at Nats. Of course, 3 weeks out, she's going to say she's back on the ice and preparing for Nats. I'm skeptical of her landing any quads if there isn't video evidence to back it up.
It dont take that long to regain muscle memory even if she isn't jumping, It took me only 1 week to regain back the muscle memory in my gym routines, that was when I was out for almost 3 months coz the c*** lockdown last year, as long as she is doing run through without jumps on the ice, she is doing daily warm ups for those muscle reflexes.

Im not even a hardcore gym addict, Trusova is an Elite Athlete so she will get back on it faster.

Spun Silver

It dont take that long to regain muscle memory even if she isn't jumping, It took me only 1 week to regain back the muscle memory in my gym routines, that was when I was out for almost 3 months coz the c*** lockdown last year, as long as she is doing run through without jumps on the ice, she is doing daily warm ups for those muscle reflexes.

Im not even a hardcore gym addict, Trusova is an Elite Athlete so she will get back on it faster.
What Trusova is trying to do is a bit more challenging than what you as "not even a hardcore gym addict" were doing. I don't think the comparison is relevant.

Karen-W

What Trusova is trying to do is a bit more challenging than what you as "not even a hardcore gym addict" were doing. I don't think the comparison is relevant.
Precisely! She did a cantilever holding one of her dogs in the Channel One appearance and stood on the ice in her skates for the rest of the 4:30 segment. She didn't even attempt a single jump or a spin. Sure, she is back on the ice. But is she jumping? Or is she just doing basic stroking exercises?

Skibean

Why would anyone think Trusova would do a quad for this? She’s not really one that’s posting her progress all over social media. I’m certain she working hard behind the scenes and will be prepared. Why would she risk any further injury right now

I don’t necessarily think Liza should be shaking In her shoes, but I’m sure she knows Trusova has the potential to beat her, and honestly, after seeing her skate in Russia I don’t think Liza is a lock for the team. One of the Japanese girls could sneak in and get that bronze medal with Liza

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Why would anyone think Trusova would do a quad for this? She’s not really one that’s posting her progress all over social media. I’m certain she working hard behind the scenes and will be prepared. Why would she risk any further injury right now

I don’t necessarily think Liza should be shaking In her shoes, but I’m sure she knows Trusova has the potential to beat her, and honestly, after seeing her skate in Russia I don’t think Liza is a lock for the team. One of the Japanese girls could sneak in and get that bronze medal with Liza
her PCS dropped from 71 to 70, with just some minor mistakes,
imagine bombing her jumps, it will go back to 67-69

Karen-W

I had no expectation of a quad but at least a single or double should have been reasonable.

You do realize that Liza had a cold or the flu a couple weeks before Rostelecom and was off the ice for several days, so she was a bit undertrained as a result. She'll be fine by Nats.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I had no expectation of a quad but at least a single or double should have been reasonable.

You do realize that Liza had a cold or the flu a couple weeks before Rostelecom and was off the ice for several days, so she was a bit undertrained as a result. She'll be fine by Nats.
single or double ? seriously imagine the reaction. :confused:
She would have been shredded, shes done, she lost her quads.

Tuk isnt a PCS skater, her PCS reflects on how well she skates, Tuk and Trusova a NON PCS skaters
but technically Trusova has bigger room for errors.

the judgement will be at Nationals. For now, I will take Trusova's word she is preparing for Nationals.

Ka3sha

New interview with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (after Rostelecom Cup)

soogar

New interview with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (after Rostelecom Cup)
I don't know how accurate google translate is but I think it is interesting that she mentions that she needed a slow section in the middle of her LP to rest. I think this is the biggest disadvantage that an older skater has against younger skaters. A younger skater can skate full force for an entire program, and season, and not feel it. An older skater has to pace training to last a season and manage energy. This year, Liza has done everything she could have to have a successful season. I hope she can realize her goals of making it to the Olympics. It would be interesting if the Olympics were postponed because Liza mentioned in an interview that she had a goal of landing a quad in the free program but she wouldn't do it this season. Would be interesting if fate gave her the opportunity to do this and really demonstrate how playing the long game could work to a skater's advantage. Her performance at Rostelecom was amazing because she landed that content after being sick. People want to say a lot of garbage about her, but everyone, including the judges and hopefully Russian Fed, is noticing this renewed mindset and toughness. It's easy to skate when everything feels good, much harder when conditions are not optimal. Very hard to continue competing against younger talent in a competitive country but she's really proving herself.

kalle

What do you think about Kostornaia's chances to win a silver medal behind Valieva at Russian Nationals?
I am quite curious if she will try the 3A in the SP. I know I want her to land that jump cleanly again but I wonder if she is actually some clean ones in practice? I think that if she land it well in the SP, she has the cards in her hands to make a statement against the quad ladies and Liza in the LP. Yes, her programs are not at all what I would expect in an Olympic season but I still prefere her overall skating more than any of the other top ladies 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Maximillian

RIP TA
I know I'm being stupidly optimistic, but I was very encouraged by AK's skates at IdF. Maybe because I expected to despise the SP so much, I found I enjoyed it and thought it was a good vehicle for her, my only quibble is having two different vocalists, but I understand why in relation to the tempo change. Not a fan of the LP, but I don't think I've ever liked an LP of Alena's, with that said, I think her SS still look top notch and if she is hitting the 3A consistently by Nationals she has a shot at the team, especially because she has noticeably stronger skating skills than Tuk and most of the other ladies save a few.

Last edited:

Marco

I think betting on Kamila and Anna (with the consistent 4flip in the GPs) for 1-2 at Nationals is pretty safe at this stage. Between Liza, Aliona, Maiia and Sasha - I still think Liza with the consistent three 3axels per competition format is a notch above Aliona who has been struggling with one 3axel let alone 2 or 3 and Maiia who may have a quad or two but otherwise not drawing the same scores as Liza. I have no idea how / if Sasha will be at Nationals.

My bet is the top 3 at Nationals will be Kamila, Anna and Liza; and Liza and Sasha will battle for the last spot at Euros with some secret skate-off; and the Olympic Team will be the Euro team if they all sweep the podium.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don't know how accurate google translate is but I think it is interesting that she mentions that she needed a slow section in the middle of her LP to rest. I think this is the biggest disadvantage that an older skater has against younger skaters. A younger skater can skate full force for an entire program, and season, and not feel it. An older skater has to pace training to last a season and manage energy. This year, Liza has done everything she could have to have a successful season. I hope she can realize her goals of making it to the Olympics. It would be interesting if the Olympics were postponed because Liza mentioned in an interview that she had a goal of landing a quad in the free program but she wouldn't do it this season. Would be interesting if fate gave her the opportunity to do this and really demonstrate how playing the long game could work to a skater's advantage. Her performance at Rostelecom was amazing because she landed that content after being sick. People want to say a lot of garbage about her, but everyone, including the judges and hopefully Russian Fed, is noticing this renewed mindset and toughness. It's easy to skate when everything feels good, much harder when conditions are not optimal. Very hard to continue competing against younger talent in a competitive country but she's really proving herself.
I don't think age (which is simply a number) sets up a particular paradigm. I think each athlete has to know how to train to their individual potential. I don't think you train harder because your competition is younger. Conversely you don't train easier because your competition is older. Technical content needs to be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information