Harry and Meghan wedding chat- the build up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorac

Good. Having the wedding at Windsor gave them an excellent reason not to invite politicians along with the fact that Harry is 5th - soon to be 6th - in line to the throne so no need to have numerous crown heads of Europe and leading politicians like for William's wedding which was one of a future monarch. I know Harry is fairly friendly with the Obama's but with the limited seating in St George's Chapel I'm sure Harry as many more close friends that he would like there instead. Still I don't seem to have received my invite yet ;)

WildRose

This way they don’t have to invite Trump. If they invited any Heads of State (or former Presidents) they would have to include him.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I don't see why anyone thinks they would have to invite Trump for any reason at all. It's not a state event, so the other people on or off the guest list have nothing to do with it.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Anyone know if the entire guest list has been revealed? Because I do wonder if some of the higher profile guests might not be listed, for whatever reason, perhaps security for example.

aftershocks

Banned Member
800 is the capacity of St. George's Chapel, so H&M were somewhat conservative in keeping their guest list at a minimum. The public invitees allowed in side the gates of Windsor Castle are specifically outstanding contributors to their communities across Britain, as well as some members of Harry's charities. The wedding invitations were printed with American ink on British paper. :D

The whole politics brouhaha the royals have wisely decided to completely avoid. I doubt the royal family are fans of PM Theresa May, so she was unlikely to be invited in any case. Plus, I'd heard that May brought up the politics issue after the engagement unnecessarily. May was reported to have said that the Obamas should not be invited if Trump and/ or a family member was not also extended an invitation, which is stupid. I doubt Harry and Meghan appreciated May placing an unwelcome focus on politics in the immediate aftermath of their engagement.

No U.S. politicians were invited to William/Kate's wedding in 2011. W&K's wedding also was not considered a state occasion. It's just that William is heir to the British throne and he was also married at a larger venue (Westminster Abbey). The initial guest list drawn up for W&K's wedding was disliked by W&K. So it's been reported that Queen Elizabeth told them to tear it up and make out their own list, and that she would deal with any political/ diplomatic fallout. A number of people in the British government were not invited to W&K's wedding but there were some Commonwealth heads of state who were invited. Before they were married in April 2011, W&K had never met the Obamas, so they did not invite them to their wedding. However, in May 2011, Queen Elizabeth hosted the Obamas in London at a state dinner. I doubt that U.S. Presidents are usually extended British royal wedding invites in any case. In 1981, Nancy Reagan attended the wedding of Charles and Diana, but President Reagan was not there.

I can bet that Trump and crew will not anytime soon (and hopefully never) be invited to a state dinner at Buckingham Palace. Meanwhile KP press office made sure to mention that Prince Harry and Meghan will be meeting with the Obamas at some point soon, and that both couples are looking forward to getting together. The announcement of no politicians at Meghan/Harry's wedding indicated that the Royal Household in consultation with the UK government made the decision that no politicians were needed to be included on the invite list. The current contentious and volatile political climate surely has a lot to do with the decision to avoid political-related wedding guests.

OTOH, I believe if it had been left up to Meghan and Harry, both the Obamas and the Trudeaus would have been on their wedding guest list. Meghan is close to Sophie Trudeau and she also knows Justin Trudeau. Harry is also friendly with the Trudeaus. Sophie Trudeau spoke at the Invictus Games ceremonies in Toronto last September. Obviously, Prince Harry has a friendly camaraderie and charitable working relationship with both Barack and Michelle Obama. By this point, Meghan may have met at least President Obama, if not yet Mrs. Obama. A lot goes on behind palace walls and there are surely many private gatherings that the public never knows anything about, unless it's revealed by the royals themselves.

For example, Harry & Meghan revealed in their engagement interview that Harry had introduced Meghan to Diana's family and friends. Earl Spencer tweeted in November about having received an American wine for Thanksgiving, which gives the impression that Meghan and Harry enjoyed Thanksgiving with the Spencers at Althorp last November. It's reported that Harry's Spencer relations have all been invited to the wedding.

Re the cake (not a traditional British fruitcake):
https://twitter.com/kensingtonroyal/status/976039352605335553?lang=en

Flowers:
https://twitter.com/kensingtonroyal/status/980357967055814657?lang=en

Japanfan

I am always amused by biopics where the original subjects are better-looking than the actors who portray them. :giggle:

It bothers me when filmmakers use actors who 'somewhat' resemble real people in terms of hair colour, type of face, etc.

I just don't see the point in that. I know that the actors aren't the people they are portraying and don't think it is necessary to look like the people - it's the performance that matters IMO.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I think they try to replicate both qualities you mention, as much as possible. Parisa Fitz-Henley is a good choice, but instead of straightening her long thick, curly hair (as Meghan does), I believe they opted for wigs if I'm not mistaken. So far from the preview clips, I think the Scottish actor Murray Fraser matches Harry's voice well, but the acting seems a bit stiff and he has a thinner face. His hair I believe was dyed red for the role (I think he's got naturally dark blond or brown locks).

This will be a fun cheesy movie to watch, much like the Hallmark romances Meghan herself starred in some years back (When Sparks Fly; and The Dater's Handbook).

More details on the Lifetime biopic/romance:
https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/harry-and-meghan-a-royal-romance

Here are details on the music the real Meghan and Harry have chosen for their wedding ceremony at St. George's Chapel, Windsor: https://www.royal.uk/music-st-georges-chapel-wedding-service

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Winnipeg

Trump at the wedding could be amusing though.

Just think, he would have to interrupt the ceremony/service/vows to address the crowd and discuss how important he is and how happy everyone is that he is there AND that the crowd is so big because they all want to see him........etc etc. No collusion in getting invited, etc

VGThuy

Most of the time I think the wax statues are way off, but those two actually look pretty good.

twinsissv

Trump at the wedding could be amusing though.

Just think, he would have to interrupt the ceremony/service/vows to address the crowd and discuss how important he is and how happy everyone is that he is there AND that the crowd is so big because they all want to see him........etc etc. No collusion in getting invited, etc
...and he'd have to distribute his little red caps to the guests (for a price of course- sixPENCE?) because they might not realize that he is just so classy..."MAKE BRITTEN GRATE AGAIN!"

ilovepaydays

Meanwhile - Lifetime’s “Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance” debuts at 8pm EST tonight! :watch:

Hopefully, this Lifetime movie will be better than the Simone Biles movie they did earlier this year. Not that it would take much - that was unacceptable- especially how they showed “The Ranch” and Marta.........:shuffle:

ilovepaydays

About halfway through Lifetime's Harry and Meghan movie. I can't find where they based this on a book - were William & Kate/Royal Family's initial criticisms of Meghan based on actual reports - or just Lifetime speculation? YIKES!

Also, it's too evident that they wanted to make Harry the more appealing brother - and not just with his looks, either.......

Lorac

About halfway through Lifetime's Harry and Meghan movie. I can't find where they based this on a book - were William & Kate/Royal Family's initial criticisms of Meghan based on actual reports - or just Lifetime speculation? YIKES!

Also, it's too evident that they wanted to make Harry the more appealing brother - and not just with his looks, either.......

There have been no reported criticism of Meghan by Kate or William that I am aware of - that just sounds like a Lifetime wanting to make a dramatic story out of the Harry and Meghan relationship. I wouldn't be surprised if Harry did talk to William - and maybe Kate - about his feelings for Meghan and maybe William told him to be absolutely sure of his feelings for her before taking the huge step of proposing as then the spotlight would be well and truly trained on them both. But as for criticism - no nothing said or even implied in the UK tabloids - who would have happily reported a family divided if they could get away with it!!!

And yes I did check out the actor who played Prince William and would never have guessed that was who he was portraying if I hadn't been told. Why do some people feel they have to put one brother down to big up the other?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information