Oscars 2016

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Nyong'o and Waltz were pretty expected winners in 2014 and 2013 respectively. They had both won a lot of the precursory awards. I'd say it's pretty rare for upsets for Oscars in the last 5 years or so in the acting categories.

The only really surprising Oscar wins I can think of recently are Adrian Brody for "The Pianist," Marcia Gay Harden for "Pollock," Ang Lee winning director for "Life of Pi," otherwise the races didn't have really unexpected winners (this is off the top of my head).

I didn't think that Brody's win was an upset. He was great in The Pianist, and had received good reviews and some awards. I didn't think that Roman Polanski's past would impact his Oscar chances. He was against some tough competition, but he was sublime in the role of the Pianist. I can't ever forget his soulful eyes, which expressed so much without many words.

I didn't feel that Ang Lee's win for the Life of Pi was an upset either. Lee is a well known director and he was great, though someone else could have won in his place.

I had never heard of Marcia Gay Harden and I didn't see that movie until after the Oscars, so her win was a surprise to me.

I thought Denzel Washington (Training Day) over Russell Crowe (A beautiful mind) was an upset. Also Juliet Binoch (sp?) winning over Lauren Bacall (sp?) for the English Patient was a surprise.

This year, Mark Ryland had won a few awards early in the season, but lately Sylvester Stallone was winning them, so Ryland's Oscar seemed like an upset (he deserved the win, though I had not seen 'Creed' so I can't really compare the two).

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
On the diversity front, I fully agree with the lack of opportunities out there and even when characters are specifically wrote as POC in books, they can end up being cast as white actors anyway. I would have liked Cary Fukunaga, Idris Elba, Benicio Del Torro or Oscar Isaac to be nominated for instance.
I get bored with the Oscars now as it is only a handful of movies which are nominated multiple times in different categories. Why not vary more ? There are so many movies out there, but I guess only the big producers can push their movies. It really look like a little club of people congratulating each other. That said I still follow it somewhat, old habit are tough to kill :shuffle:
I'm happy for Leo even though I wished he had won an oscar for the Departed or Revolutionary road, he was great in those movies. I watched The Revenant yesterday and got a bit bored to be honest. All I could think of was: what's up with all those over stretched movie ? Nowadays, most movies run over 2 hours when clearly with better editing most of them could run much less than that. It does not help with the emotional impact either, sometimes a well edited dense movie is way more efficient. The revenant could have been a great punch in the stomach movie if better edited IMO.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That win is a certainty, as well as Brie Larson among ladies.

Does anyone feel the way I do - that the Oscars have become too predictable? There are hardly any surprises. Stallone will win the supporting actor. The only suspense is among supporting actresses, and that too is a weak one.

Actually there wasn't much suspense in the supporting actress category either, with Alicia leading the pack.

OK, I was wrong about Stallone but you can't blame me :lol: because lately he was winning every award. Mark Ryland was wonderful in Bridge of Spies and I was happy that he proved my prediction wrong.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ I think you mean Mark Rylance.

Will they finally give Ennio Morricone a real Oscar to go with his honorary one? Being associated with the disappointing Hateful Eight might not help his cause, but I would love to see him win.
Yes! :)

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
I didn't think that Brody's win was an upset. He was great in The Pianist, and had received good reviews and some awards. I didn't think that Roman Polanski's past would impact his Oscar chances. He was against some tough competition, but he was sublime in the role of the Pianist. I can't ever forget his soulful eyes, which expressed so much without many words.

I didn't feel that Ang Lee's win for the Life of Pi was an upset either. Lee is a well known director and he was great, though someone else could have won in his place.

I had never heard of Marcia Gay Harden and I didn't see that movie until after the Oscars, so her win was a surprise to me.

I thought Denzel Washington (Training Day) over Russell Crowe (A beautiful mind) was an upset. Also Juliet Binoch (sp?) winning over Lauren Bacall (sp?) for the English Patient was a surprise.

This year, Mark Ryland had won a few awards early in the season, but lately Sylvester Stallone was winning them, so Ryland's Oscar seemed like an upset (he deserved the win, though I had not seen 'Creed' so I can't really compare the two).

Adrian Brody hadn't won any of the major Oscar pre-awards (SAG, Golden Globe, BAFTA, major critics prizes). He did win the acting prize at Cannes, but that was 10 months earlier. The same with Ang Li for "Life of Pi," the race that year had been split between David O. Russell and Steven Spielburg.

Denzel Washington's win wasn't entirely unexpected, he was being heavily pushed, plus Russell Crowe had just won the year before.

I agree with you that Stallone losing last night was somewhat of an upset. However Rylance had just won the BAFTA and Australian Film Institue award and a lot of critics awards so he was the obvious dark horse in the race. :)

leesaleesa

Thanks for the warning. :)

Although these movies may be good, I would rather not watch them.

You know something? If it's rated above a PG I won't see it from here on out. I practically needed an exorcism after getting all OCD and seeking out all manner of nasty stuff. You have the right idea. Stick to positive fare.

screech

Adrian Brody hadn't won any of the major Oscar pre-awards (SAG, Golden Globe, BAFTA, major critics prizes). He did win the acting prize at Cannes, but that was 10 months earlier. The same with Ang Li for "Life of Pi," the race that year had been split between David O. Russell and Steven Spielburg.

Denzel Washington's win wasn't entirely unexpected, he was being heavily pushed, plus Russell Crowe had just won the year before.
Another surprise was Sean Penn winning for Milk over Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler, and Bill Murray losing for Lost in Translation (again to Sean Penn). Surprises do happen...

Yes, if no one else, Idris Elba absolutely should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor. (And indeed won the Screen Actors Guild Award, among others). Instead that "amazing talent" (cough, cough) Sylvester Stallone (!!!) is going to go home tonight with an Oscar for ACTING! :scream:
The only reason Idris wasn't nominated is because the Academy only recognizes films that have theatrical release. They have not included films from Netflix. Maybe they will in the future, but considering The Emmys only started recognizing streamed TV shows a few years ago, I think it will be a while.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Another surprise was Sean Penn winning for Milk over Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler, and Bill Murray losing for Lost in Translation (again to Sean Penn). Surprises do happen...

The only reason Idris wasn't nominated is because the Academy only recognizes films that have theatrical release. They have not included films from Netflix. Maybe they will in the future, but considering The Emmys only started recognizing streamed TV shows a few years ago, I think it will be a while.
Beasts of No Nation did have a theatrical release. It just happened at the same time it got released on Netflix. From what I've read it was eligible for Oscar consideration. I have a feeling the reason it was snubbed was probably because the Academy somehow resented this new way of releasing things. Proving once again that the TV world is further ahead than the movie world.

screech

Beasts of No Nation did have a theatrical release. It just happened at the same time it got released on Netflix. From what I've read it was eligible for Oscar consideration. I have a feeling the reason it was snubbed was probably because the Academy somehow resented this new way of releasing things. Proving once again that the TV world is further ahead than the movie world.
I recall in the past a movie must have a theatrical release before being released on other media. That made Ryan Gosling ineligible for a deserved nomination for his film The Believer (in I think 2001) because it was released on home media before in theatres.

Jay42

I recall in the past a movie must have a theatrical release before being released on other media. That made Ryan Gosling ineligible for a deserved nomination for his film The Believer (in I think 2001) because it was released on home media before in theatres.
I Googled it because I knew it was going to bug me if I didn't. Beasts of No Nation was eligible. Netflix released it the way they needed to in order to make sure it was eligible.

TygerLily

I also wondered if it was a backlash against Netflix, but then there were two Netflix docs nominated: http://variety.com/2016/digital/awa...y-nominations-beasts-of-no-nation-1201680181/ Definitely lower profile than one of the acting awards, but still... Kinda takes away my boyfriend's argument that diversity wasn't necessarily relevant in the case of Elba. (I don't want to restart that argument with him, so here I post!)

Jay42

I also wondered if it was a backlash against Netflix, but then there were two Netflix docs nominated: http://variety.com/2016/digital/awa...y-nominations-beasts-of-no-nation-1201680181/ Definitely lower profile than one of the acting awards, but still... Kinda takes away my boyfriend's argument that diversity wasn't necessarily relevant in the case of Elba. (I don't want to restart that argument with him, so here I post!)
Yeah, I know the logic is inconsistent. My reasoning behind that line of thinking was that the Academy frequently seems old and vindictive and a website like Netflix trying to make movies and still get Oscars might be something they feel like they have to nip in the bud or delay? I'm straying to far into conspiracy theories though and I should probably stop. But when I see articles like this one about Stallone not winning for Supporting Actor when everyone was predicting he would, it kind of makes me wonder.

P.S. The Stallone part of the article is the last 2 paragraphs. The rest is about how Spotlight won Best Picture when most people were predicting The Revenant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information