Madison Chock & Evan Bates Hopes, Fears & Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't think Under pressure ever worked for them.

I hate the song Imagine but they drew me into that and it became very special to me.

I think Fever is one of the most boring songs anyone skates to. I love Burning Love but this FD just seems disjointed. I don't get it.

mollymgr

mollymgr - Elvis is only less than a third of their FD 😉. 'Fever' is not even originally Elvis, and this version is not sung by him either.
I’m going off what they themselves called it in their bios. I’m not an Elvis or Elvis cover aficionado to get that picky. 😉😉😉

As of this moment, their USFA bio states:
2018-19 SEASON NOTES
RD Music: TBD
FD Music: "Fever" by Elvis Presley and Michael Buble, "Burning Love" by Elvis Presley

Bigbird

That FD suits them to a T. Great job. Of course they have some cleaning up to do but it's gonna be great when they do! I could even see a Gadbois sweep at worlds maybe not this year, but it could happen. They have improved nicely with their new coaches.

GreenGan

Well I know which american has my favourite couple of program this season. Love them, they ooze confidence on the ice and on this theme. The FD has some great moment, such as this and this lift (first part is so greatly executed !!). Oh, and I just lurve their choerographic step sequence. Maybe some works on the end of some of their lift and the exit of it, but I really like this on them.

lauravvv

I’m going off what they themselves called it in their bios. I’m not an Elvis or Elvis cover aficionado to get that picky. 😉😉😉

As of this moment, their USFA bio states:
2018-19 SEASON NOTES
RD Music: TBD
FD Music: "Fever" by Elvis Presley and Michael Buble, "Burning Love" by Elvis Presley
Sorry, you and their info are correct. There is a short part from Elvis's cover in the beginning. Sound was very quiet when I was watching the competition (I actually did it in work ☺️), so I somehow did not catch it. Shame, as I know Elvis's voice quite well.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I’m not feeling it either. I didn’t know they were skating to Elvis. I prefer their Under Pressure program to this and wish that had gone in that direction. Gadbois is disappointing this year. I don’t know why Madison and Evan decided to move there along with everyone else, now they’re just going to blend in.

Man I sat down so excited to watch... but then Im served another piece of "time warp" music. LOL. I know they love to skate to all the oldies but goodies but I wish they would take creative risk one time and do something more outside their comfort zone. Im not usually ever surprised by them (and yet somehow they are my favorite US team.)

I also feel like for this music she should be in a body suit or cat suit... her dress is so elegant...it doesn't fit this music.....

But they scored BIG, and hope they go even higher!!!

lauravvv

Its just so totally not them. Plus they look so elegant at the beginning and then its Fever and Burning Love, it just doesn't work for me.
I disagree. How exactly do you determine what is them, and what is not? I personally think it is quite them. Also, one of the first versions of 'Fever' (and probably the most famous) was by Peggy Lee who could be elegant aplenty, and her version itself was also elegant - https://youtu.be/JGb5IweiYG8, https://youtu.be/4uTcw_A80Bo.

I also feel like for this music she should be in a body suit or cat suit... her dress is so elegant...it doesn't fit this music.....
'Fever' was written in the 50s. To be honest, Madison's dress is from an earlier time, but body suits and cat suites were not yet a thing then either. As for elegance, read my response to BlueRidge above.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

I disagree. How exactly do you determine what is them, and what is not? I personally think it is quite them. Also, one of the first versions of 'Fever' (and probably the most famous) was by Peggy Lee who could be elegant aplenty, and her version itself was also elegant - https://youtu.be/JGb5IweiYG8, https://youtu.be/4uTcw_A80Bo.

'Fever' was written in the 50s. To be honest, Madison's dress is from an earlier time, but body suits and cat suites were not yet a thing then either. As for elegance, read my response to BlueRidge above.

Cool, I get the whole earlier time / Peggy Lee thing. I have some of her albums.

But for me it still doesn't quite work. I agree with @BlueRidge a bit here.

They are fabulous so its more of a nit pick thing. Cant wait to see them at Nats soon!!!!

lauravvv

arakwafan2006 - In my opinion, it did look decent enough. Some people are just disagreeing with the music choice itself, the contrast between 'Fever' and 'Burning Love' and/or with Madison's dress vs. the music. While the latter might change, the former two clearly won't. Well, perhaps there will be some tinkering with the music change, but the songs will most likely remain the same.

alice73

I prefer the Fever part. It underscores their connection perfectly. There’s many cool choreo moves that I enjoyed. Madison’s skating skills look improved, and overall their skating was more fluid and softer than before. The fast part to the Burning Love looks less polished. Hopefully, it’ll get better with mileage.

arakwafan2006

In terms of changes that i noticed that i quite like, the lifting and lowering of Madison, though it arguably plays into the stigma of Evan dragging her around, I view it as Montreal leveraging their height difference and Evans strength in the most beautiful way. Igor is so deliberate that even when he choreographed disguised into elements , i was aware that i was viewing a disguise. Some of their patterns into things are better hidden.

I have thought of this team as a giant miss in terms of the multiple dances given to them etc over their career. I haven’t thought of their elements outside of lifts to be great and didn’t get the fanfare about them. Still, i ALWAYS thought they showed up well trained and Madison is beautiful though she needs to own a wider array of facial expressions.

I think they fell victim to Igor losing the yin to his yang in Marina though Pasquale is fantastic in his creativity, Igor has the reigns held way too tightly. Whether or not this free dance is best in class or not, it’s the first pancake. Evan looks like he casts on weekends and never shorts himself a rep at the gym.

Last thing, MADISON’S COSTUMES LOOK GREAT. In the past , her dresses have been hideous to me ( Olympic short dance for instance ) and this is classy looking.

AngieNikodinovLove

I don't think Under pressure ever worked for them.

I hate the song Imagine but they drew me into that and it became very special to me.

I think Fever is one of the most boring songs anyone skates to. I love Burning Love but this FD just seems disjointed. I don't get it.

I do agree with all you said but just maybe slightly diffrent reasons.

I agree Under Pressure didnt suit them.. Evan needs a bit more edge or something.... for me.

I dont hate Imagine its just so OVERdone and you literally hear it everywhere inside and outside of skating rinks.

And I agree, Fever, is way overdone. A minimum of 5 skaters skate to it each year. LOL.. I dont get it because figure skating is considered a "creative" sport but those who choose warhorses aren't using much (if any, really) creativity... You cant really make "Fever" your own because it goes back decades and decades.

This is where The KWEEN excelled... unused pieces of music and Boom, makes them her own. I couldn't turn away from her. SO creative and using some music that she is literally introducing me to.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

lauravvv

Vash01 - I think they are more than in the mix. It seems quite obvious C/B will be top two barring any serious mistakes. Neither Hawayek/Baker, nor McNamara/Carpenter (not to mention Parsons and Carreira/Ponomarenko) have earned close to their score in FD.

vireo

Here's one of the promos Madi and Evan did for upcoming Nationals featuring the Detroit Pistons mascot.

I'm curious about who is in the "Hooper" costume. There was a clip with Nathan Chen skating between Madi and Evan, just as Hooper is doing. Was Nathan just helping out when the choreography was set? Hooper looks bigger than Nathan.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1087015645584285696

Debbie S

There was a clip with Nathan Chen skating between Madi and Evan, just as Hooper is doing. Was Nathan just helping out when the choreography was set?
If you are talking about the IG story that showed Nathan, Madi and Evan stroking as a threesome, I believe that was filmed at Gadbois right before Christmas when Nathan was there working on his choreo with Marie-France and Sam Chouinard. The promo with the mascot was filmed in early December (I think?) when Madi and Evan went to Detroit to do a bunch of Nats promo stuff - I'm thinking the mascot scene was filmed at the Detroit Skating Club.

BittyBug

Disgusted
That is the cutest nationals promo ever.

I think the skater in the lift was Evan himself, just in the Hopper costume. Also I think the skater changed from the beginning of the video to the end. Up until Hooper fell, he was in hockey skates. Then when they take away the walker he’s in figure skates.

I hope they show that in the arena during the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information