Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

watchthis!!

I got a last minute invite to see Bumblebee yesterday. Not my type of movie, and not the type of movie I expected my friends to like. But apparently, one of them has seen all the Transformers movies, so Bumblee for him was a must-see. I have to admit, I checked the theatre's website to see if there was something else (like The Favourite, maybe) that was playing at the same time. But, no, so Bumblebee it was. And surprisingly, I liked it. Hailee Steinfeld did a good job of playing an interesting and likeable (enough) character for the movie to succeed. John Cena was good in a kind of thankless role...well, probably all of the roles were kind of thankless, I guess. Hopefully everybody got a good sized paycheque. That includes Angela Bassett as one of the Decepticons. The special effects were good, but not overwhelming (like I found in the Transformers movies, which made me give up on them.)

Trailer for Bumblebee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcwmDAYt22k

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Agreed, I also saw it and thought the same. Side note: Tony Lip went on to become an actor, he had a recurring part on the Sopranos as Carmine.

Count me in as another person who really liked Green book.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Watched "Tully" on the movie channel last night, because when I'd seen previews it had looked warm and fuzzy. Meh. A third act twist annoyed the crap outta me, and basically turned it into a different movie.

Tonight I went to see "Bohemian Rhapsody". Well, the music is 10/10 since I like Queen's music. Rami Malek was 9/10, he really became Freddie Mercury, and his acting was so much more than his range seen on "Mr. Robot" (thank goodness). The movie? Well, I know that bio-pics play fast and loose with facts, I wasn't expecting a documentary. I didn't like that it really seemed to "straight-wash" Mercury, and felt like some of the inaccuracies in timing of things and other fact slips were manipulative and designed to elicit emotional response. When I feel a movie is doing that, I go the opposite and shut down from it and not give a sh*t. So while music and Malek were at 9.5/10 together, the movie itself I'd give a 6/10. YMMV.

mrr50

Just saw "Green Book" today. Absolutely loved it, and think it was better than every movie nominated for Best Picture last year at the Oscars. Solid acting throughout, and I love movies based on real stories.

Really loved this movie. Very well acted. As someone with A LOT of relatives in the deep south during the 60s, I can attest to accuracy.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I finally saw 'Can you ever forgive me?'. I missed it when it first came to the theaters. It returned due to the Oscar nominations. Good overall. Not great, but both main characters were very well portrayed by Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant. IMO Grant should win the supporting actor Oscar, but I don't think he will, based on Golden Globes results. It will be interesting how SAG awards shape up. 8/10

Last edited:

VGThuy

I finally saw 'Can you ever forgive me?'. I missed it when it first came to the theaters. It returned due to the Oscar nominations. Good overall. Not great, but both main characters were very well portrayed by Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant. IMO Grant should win the supporting actor Oscar, but I don't think he will, based on Golden Globes results. It will be interesting how SAG awards shape up.

Another one I need to see. Thanks for your review!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
‘Can you ever forgive me’ portrays effectively what poverty and desperation can do to people, and how their own mental blocks may keep them from making an honest living. I had never heard of Lee Israel, but Melissa M. Brings her to life convincingly, and we feel sorry for her even though she is a criminal.

Kasey

So, while waiting for skating to be televised I watched "Roma" on Netflix. Wow, that was painfully boring, IMO. It seems to scream "Oscar bait", with the plot, protagonist, and of course, black and white. The cinematography was nice enough, but some of the directorial choices were clumsy in a knocking over the head manner. Overall, I would say boring/pretentious. 3/10 from me. I'm sure others would disagree, but whaddevah! ;)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
So, while waiting for skating to be televised I watched "Roma" on Netflix. Wow, that was painfully boring, IMO. It seems to scream "Oscar bait", with the plot, protagonist, and of course, black and white. The cinematography was nice enough, but some of the directorial choices were clumsy in a knocking over the head manner. Overall, I would say boring/pretentious. 3/10 from me. I'm sure others would disagree, but whaddevah! ;)

ITA, although I gave it a little better rating 7/10, mainly due to the cinematography. Probably I overscored. I went in with low expectations because I had read some of the low scoring reviews.

The B&W has become an Oscar bait. Cold War used the same trick and got nominated, but at least it has a story. In Roma the story doesn’t even begin until almost one hour into the movie. I found it too gimmicky. I wouldn’t have given it any Oscar nominations except for the cinematography. How can anyone nominate Curon for director when he directed one of the most boring movies?

Kasey

Vash, I tend to be a bit of a tight-ass movie reviewer ;) Last year's winner only got a 5/10 from me (mostly because I thought it was wildly stupid)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Vash, I tend to be a bit of a tight-ass movie reviewer ;) Last year's winner only got a 5/10 from me (mostly because I thought it was wildly stupid)

I would have given Moonlight 3/10. Hated that movie. First one third was interesting but nothing after that.

watchthis!!

I saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald yesterday. Disappointed. The first half hour was DARK, both literally and figuratively. Evil characters doing evil things which you can't really see because the only thing on the screen which is not pitch black is lamp posts and Caucasian faces. Then more characters are added to the mix, with some of the women all looking so similar in how they are costumed/hairstyled that for a while I didn't know who was who. Very confusing overall, the movie made me feel like I should be ashamed for not having read the novel before seeing the movie. All the lightness and fun of the first movie has been replaced by dastardliness. The good things are quality actors, good sets, well-filmed when something on screen is visible. But overall, the tone of the movie is a real downer. If you're feeling a little down in the dumps, skip this movie.

The Shape Of Water. For anyone else like me who would never be able to bring to mind what won what last year without having to google it. :D

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw The Mule today. Enjoyed it much more than I expected. Clint Eastwood is looking really old but he is still a very good actor and does a good job in the role. There were actually more laughs than what you would expect. Like Can you ever forgive me it tells the story of someone who is forced to go into illegal activity in order to make ends meet but also to help the community. Worth seeing.

Japanfan

Sorry about that! Woman loves fish. It made me keep thinking "Well, 'Splash' never won any freaking Oscar"! ;)

To me that was entirely preposterous. I just didn't buy it.

And didn't particularly like the film.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw The Mule today. Enjoyed it much more than I expected. Clint Eastwood is looking really old but he is still a very good actor and does a good job in the role. There were actually more laughs than what you would expect. Like Can you ever forgive me it tells the story of someone who is forced to go into illegal activity in order to make ends meet but also to help the community. Worth seeing.

I have been debating whether to see this but I have decided to see it sometime- may be this week. I had seen the trailer a dozen times and it looked interesting. The problem was that I intensely dislike Clint Eastwood as a person (I think he promotes the NRA or the republicans, something like that). I will try to leave that outside when I go to this movie.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I saw it today. It was pretty good. Interesting story and I really liked the way it ended.

Eastwood is 88 years old, and a good fit for that role. Nobody suspects an old man who is white. The young, dark skinned ones (Mexican ancestry in this movie) are the suspects.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Saw Glass yesterday. Amazing! Very good script and Sarah Paulson is such a great actress. But of course James McAvoy stole the show, giving a jaw-droppingly good performance that if there's any justice, he'll have a best actor Oscar in just over a year.

I read that Glass is like a sequel to Unbroken, which I have not seen. Will I understand Glass without the prior knowledge?

Aussie Willy

I saw it today. It was pretty good. Interesting story and I really liked the way it ended.

Eastwood is 88 years old, and a good fit for that role. Nobody suspects an old man who is white. The young, dark skinned ones (Mexican ancestry in this movie) are the suspects.
Glad you liked it. It was better than I thought it was going to be.

I saw Unbreakable years ago. I thought it was dreadful. However I didn't mind Split. So is Glass worth seeing?

watchthis!!

I read that Glass is like a sequel to Unbroken, which I have not seen. Will I understand Glass without the prior knowledge?

Part one is Unbroken, part two is Split and part three is Glass. You can understand Split without seeing Unbroken, but I recommend seeing each film in order. As for Glass on it's own...you probably don't need to watch the two earlier movies to enjoy it, but your enjoyment will be much, much greater if you can see how the story expands in a rich way throughout the series. My friend and I were wondering if this series is a trilogy and this concludes the whole story or if there will be offshoot movies in the future. Glass is doing very well at the box office, so I'm guessing the latter.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Disney is going to show Black Panther for free for one week (Feb 1-7) at 250 AMC theaters. I will definitely go to see it. The lines may be really long though, particularly on weekend and evenings.

Aussie Willy

Part one is Unbroken, part two is Split and part three is Glass. You can understand Split without seeing Unbroken, but I recommend seeing each film in order. As for Glass on it's own...you probably don't need to watch the two earlier movies to enjoy it, but your enjoyment will be much, much greater if you can see how the story expands in a rich way throughout the series. My friend and I were wondering if this series is a trilogy and this concludes the whole story or if there will be offshoot movies in the future. Glass is doing very well at the box office, so I'm guessing the latter.
We actually got a question at trivia tonight about this trilogy. Name the first two movies in it.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
You have to watch Unberakable and Split to understand Glass. I would also say that you have to quite enjoy Unbreakable to really appreciate Glass.

emason

I saw The Heiresses (Las Herederas) recently. The pacing is slow, but that's because it is really a character study. Chela and Chiquita have been together for over 30 years, but they are going broke and everything changes for them when Chiquita goes to prison on a charge of fraud. Chela must forge a new life for herself in Chiquita's absence. Ana Brun deserves every award she is winning for her performance as Chela. She can give an acting master class on what a subtle look or glance can do. Thumbs up from me.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
We actually got a question at trivia tonight about this trilogy. Name the first two movies in it.

1. Sixth sense? - or was it that Alien/baseball bat movie?

2. Unbreakable (only because saw it mentioned)

ETA- just opened the Spoiler posted by Watchthis. I am wrong. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information