Let's Talk Movies #35 – Sparrows and Panthers and Dinosaurs…Oh My!

Which Movies Might You See? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• Feb. 16th - Black Panther – Action adventure with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan and Lupita Nyo

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • March 2nd - Red Sparrow – Mystery thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Mary-Louise Pa

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • March 9th - A Wrinkle In Time – Adventure fantasy with Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Oprah Winfr

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • March 16th - Tomb Raider – Action adventure with Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins and Kristin Scott T

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • March 30th – Ready Player One – Sci-fi adventure with Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke and Simon Pegg

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • May 4th - Avengers: Infinity War – Adventure fantasy with nobody famous

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • May 18th - Deadpool 2 – Adventure comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin and T. J. Miller

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • May 25th - Solo: A Star Wars Story – Adventure fantsy with Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Woody

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • June 8th - Ocean's 8 – Action thriller with Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • June 22nd - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – Action sci-fi with Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
The Korean director Bong Joon Ho is nominated for Parasite, very happy about it, I hope he wins too.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Saw JoJo Rabbit today. Usually I don’t care for quirky movies but this is extraordinary. It has every possible emotion, great acting, and it held my interest. The kid is great, and the two actresses -Scarlett Johansson and Thomasin McKenzie gave strong supporting performances. Everyone else was good too. It is funny at times, and heart breaking at other times. I had never heard of this director Waititi before. He has a major acting role in it. He is Adolf- JoJo’s imaginary friend.

Last edited:

annie720

Saw JoJo Rabbit today. Usually I don’t care for quirky movies but this is extraordinary. It has every possible emotion, great acting, and it held my interest. The kid is great, and the two actresses -Scarlett Johansson and Thomasin gave strong supporting performances. Everyone else was good too. It is funny at times, and heart breaking at other times. I had never heard of this director Waititi before. He has a major acting role in it. He is Adolf- JoJo’s imaginary friend.
I thought the kid was great, too! He received a Golden Globe nom for best actor. The movie was also nominated.

I was surprised how many of the GG nominated movies are Netflix films, and how many I haven’t heard of.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Saw JoJo Rabbit today. Usually I don’t care for quirky movies but this is extraordinary. It has every possible emotion, great acting, and it held my interest. The kid is great, and the two actresses -Scarlett Johansson and Thomasin gave strong supporting performances. Everyone else was good too. It is funny at times, and heart breaking at other times. I had never heard of this director Waititi before. He has a major acting role in it. He is Adolf- JoJo’s imaginary friend.
Check out Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Boy and What we do in the Shadows which he directed and starred in the last two. Waititi also directed Thor: Ragnarok and played Korg in that movie. "This is Mick. Mick has knives for hands" - my favourite line from Thor.

I can't wait to see JoJo Rabbit.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw another oldie- 'Send me no flowers'- starring Rock Hudson and Doris Day. It was funny. The title of the movie didn't make sense to me, but it was entertaining.

skatesindreams

I saw another oldie- 'Send me no flowers'- starring Rock Hudson and Doris Day. It was funny. The title of the movie didn't make sense to me, but it was entertaining.
Rock and Doris believe; wrongly, that he is dying.
This creates a "comedy of errors".
He doesn't want sadness at the funeral; hence the title.

They were masters of lively, clever repartee'.

vgerdes

Recently saw Frozen 2. Liked the way they fleshed out the back story of Elsa and Anna's parents, and how Elsa came to have magic. I wasn't as impressed with the music; I thought it was lacking a bit in the originality department.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Saw Parasite today. Hated it, particularly the second half. I don’t understand the rave reviews. The movie starts off fine but quickly degenerates into gratuitous violence. I had to close my eyes many times. After I came out of the theatre, I was worried that I may get nightmares. 1/10.

Last edited:

Cachoo

I want to see "The Dead Don't Die." I read about how low key Bill Murray and Adam Driver are about seeing zombie gore ---"Yuck"---and that alone made me laugh. So now I'm keen to watch it. And I like the director.

Cachoo

Saw Parasite today. Hated it, particularly the second half. I don’t understand the rave reviews. The movie starts off fine but quickly degenerates into gratuitous violence. I had to close my eyes many times. After I came out of the theatre, I was worried that I may get nightmares. 1/10.
Thanks for the review--I've been so curious about this one.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Thanks for the review--I've been so curious about this one.

Many people labeled it ‘a masterpiece ‘ and 10/10, so who knows? Just not my kind of movie and honestly I couldn’t find much positive about it.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I want to see "The Dead Don't Die." I read about how low key Bill Murray and Adam Driver are about seeing zombie gore ---"Yuck"---and that alone made me laugh. So now I'm keen to watch it. And I like the director.
It was pretty funny and Driver and Murray were very deadpan indeed. Tilda Swinton was probably the best thing in it.

Cachoo

So I'm thinking about Louisa May Alcott, her forward thinking family and friends and the soon-to-be released "Little Women." What I love is that Jo and her sisters do not need constant updating from the ' 94 film to the "Masterpiece" production to Gerwig's movie. Alcott was so ahead of her time. If I was acting I'd love one of the roles in this story.

LeafOnTheWind

I just got back from seeing Jumanji The Next Level. I enjoyed it as much as the first one. It's just a good set of movies when you are looking for something light and funny. Dwayne Johnson's smoldering look as one of his strengths is still amusing. I also thought Kevin Hart did a great job imitating Danny Glover.

No one wants to go see Knives Out with me so I'm debating going on my own sometime this week. Not sure yet.

snoopy

Another thumbs up for knives out. As my SO said it is an actors movie. Lots of room for them to play.

On another note, some channel has been playing the twilight movies all weekend. Now I’m someone who will pay to see all kinds of teeny bopper movies. But these. Oy. They are so not good. How they picked the two leads....Neither of them are likable.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Watched Marriage Story with Adam Driver and Scarlet Johanssonn. Adam Driver is one of my favorite actor right now and he didn't disappoint. Scarlet isn't such a great actress imo but did really well. However, if you want to witness the radiography of the end of a relationship go watch the mini series Scenes of a marriage from Ingmar Bergman. I found it much more profound and impactful with absolute masterful performances from the two leads.
Marriage Story doesn't really get to the bottom of it and the character of Laura Dern (though a great actress) is a bit caricatural as well as the one of Adam Driver's lawyer.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw 'Dark Waters' today. As an environmental professional, I was very interested in this movie. It is based on a true story of what DuPont did - they brought Teflon into American households. The toxic chemicals from the chemical plant in West Virginia caused cancer and birth defects. The story takes place over 17 years (1998 to 2015). Mark Ruffalo plays the lawyer who sued DuPont many times. Anne Hathaway plays his wife, in a minor role. A major character (not lead) is a farmer from a small town in WV whose cows died from the toxic chemicals, and later he too got cancer. He approached Robert Billott, the lawyer (Mark Ruffalo, who is also one of the producers of this movie) and then the story took off.

It is an interesting story but the movie dragged a bit. It felt rather flat to me. Still I give it high marks for bringing on the screen a very important topic. 7/10. It has 7.6 on IMDB.

Last edited:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Add me to the list of people who saw Knives Out and loved it. I am very much looking forward to when it comes out for home release so I can watch it again and catch all the stuff I missed. It's such a great, smart movie.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Has anyone seen’Lucy in the sky’? I had seen the trailer. I saw that it was running at a theatre that was not close to me. Then it disappeared.

Seerek

Watched Marriage Story with Adam Driver and Scarlet Johanssonn. Adam Driver is one of my favorite actor right now and he didn't disappoint. Scarlet isn't such a great actress imo but did really well. However, if you want to witness the radiography of the end of a relationship go watch the mini series Scenes of a marriage from Ingmar Bergman. I found it much more profound and impactful with absolute masterful performances from the two leads.
Marriage Story doesn't really get to the bottom of it and the character of Laura Dern (though a great actress) is a bit caricatural as well as the one of Adam Driver's lawyer.

Yes, pretty much my take on it. I found some of the individual/confrontational scenes excellent on their own, but the actual disintegration of the marriage was a little too telegraphed. And yes, I would say that Laura Dern stole some scenes from Scarlett, yet I didn't see much difference between Nora (the lawyer) and Dern character's Renata Klein from BLL.

I saw 'Dark Waters' today. As an environmental professional, I was very interested in this movie. It is based on a true story of what DuPont did - they brought Teflon into American households. The toxic chemicals from the chemical plant in West Virginia caused cancer and birth defects. The story takes place over 17 years (1998 to 2015). Mark Ruffalo plays the lawyer who sued DuPont many times. Anne Hathaway plays his wife, in a minor role. A major character (not lead) is a farmer from a small town in WV whose cows died from the toxic chemicals, and later he too got cancer. He approached Robert Billott, the lawyer (Mark Ruffalo, who is also one of the producers of this movie) and then the story took off.

It is an interesting story but the movie dragged a bit. It felt rather flat to me. Still I give it high marks for bringing on the screen a very important topic. 7/10. It has 7.6 on IMDB.

Yes, Bill Camp as Wilbur is very critical to putting a human face to the victims/underdogs of West Virginia - I don't think the film could ever work strictly as a "legal thriller". Not to give many spoilers, but it's interesting how the bleak the tone of this film intentionally was (visually too with all the grays and dark lighting) - for a "mainstream independent" film, a quite cynical take on the ability to take corporate responsibility and accountability to task.

VGThuy

I love Noah Baumbach and I honestly think Frances Ha is my favorite movie that has come out this past decade, but when I read about this movie and the concept, all it made me want to do is finally pick up Scenes from a Marriage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information