Korean skating news & updates

greenapple

Korea has two ladies spots.
Korea has 2 ladies spots? If so, they should really wait to decide after the ranking competition to pick the world team, since they have several good candidates. It's a tough decision to make based on only one competition, though I suppose they're unlikely to gain or lose an Olympic team spot no matter who they send. On the other hand, Eunsoo is the only one with world experience. This competition could be very important in preparing whoever they think they'll send to the Olympics next year. I know they won't wait, but they should.

seabm7

Day 3 videos -

Senior women's free skating
Senior men's free skating

Senior women: Final top 12

NamePointsSPFS
Yelim KIM
Ahsun YUN
Haein LEE
Young YOU
Seo Young WI
Eunsoo LIM
Seoyeon JI
Yeon Jeong PARK
Chaeyeon KIM
Minchae KIM
Hanul KIM
Boin MOON

:eek: :eek: :(

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Nationals Ladies FS Group 4 videos include the top 5 free skates: https://blog.naver.com/koreaskatingunion/222257465052
Skate order (reverse order of SP): Seo Young WI, Ahsun YUN (@seabm7 mentioned earlier that she was supposed to make her JGP debut this season), Eunsoo LIM, Yelim KIM, Haein LEE, Young YOU

Senior Ladies unofficial final top 13 (of 26):

GOLD Yelim KIM 199.31 3 2 (130.44 FS) - 6 triples landed: 3Lz+3T, 2A, 3F(!), 3Lo, 3Lz, 2A, 3S+2T+2Lo
SILVER Ahsun YUN 197.99 5 1 (131.70 FS) - exciting new talent! :) 7 triples: 3Lz+3T, 3Lo, 3S, 2A, 2A+3T, 3Lz+2T+2Lo, 3F(!)
BRONZE Haein LEE 195.40 2 4 (126.18 FS)
4 Young YOU 194.81 1 5 (124.94 FS)
5 Seo Young WI 192.84 6 3 (126.98 FS) - credited with 6 clean triples: 3Lz+3T, 3F(!)+2T, 3Fq, 2A, 2A+1Eu+3S, 3Lz, 3Lo
6 Eunsoo LIM 179.06 4 9 (111.81 FS)
7 Seoyeon JI 177.70 8 6 (116.24 FS)
8 Yeon Jeong PARK 174.19 7 7 (112.11 FS)
9 Chaeyeon KIM 172.11 9 11 (111.49 FS)
10 Minchae KIM 169.28 10 10 (111.74 FS)
11 Hanul KIM 165.98 11 8 (112.00 FS)
12 Boin MOON 153.22 13 12 (101.27 FS)
13 Jooha KANG 152.29 12 13 (98.85 FS)

ETA:
Here is the list of skaters with both of the minimum TES for the 2021 worlds:

Ladies
Yujin CHOI
Hanul KIM
Yelim KIM
Eunsoo LIM
Soyoun PARK (retired)
Jihun TO
Young YOU

Haein LEE (now senior eligible)
Seoyeong WI (now senior eligible)

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Korean federation absolutely made the right choices for Worlds. Hopefully there’ll be three ladies spots for next year and Young You will be in the mix?

seabm7

What’s happening with Min & Eaton?
KSU did not say what they are going to do with the ice dance entry to the worlds yet.

ETD: Originally the entry was supposed to be selected by the ranking competition, which is postponed and now will be happened after the world entry deadline.

Last edited:

seabm7

Not sure what that means... I assume since it's a picture of her and Daniel that they're still competing. :)

Oh, I should have explained about the photo. March 1st is a national holiday in Korea, and the day commemorates the independence movements during the Japanese occupation.

It looks like the photo was taken during a conference of a certain multi-level marketing company, who supports Min & Eaton.

Marco

I am quite surprised with the ladies results and am even more surprised that they are leaving Young You home in such a tight race. Very excited for Haein Lee!

JPN 3, RUS 3, USA 2 and KOR 2 are likely to round out the top 10 at Worlds. If RUS and JPN occupy the top 6, USA and KOR can only settle for 2 spots each. One of USA or KOR may be able to pull off 6+7 if the 3rd RUS and/or 3rd JPN underperforms... I think Bradie has a better shot of breaking into top 5 but Karen is also the most likely to place lowest given her jump rotational issues. Worlds is going to be wild!

Dobre

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon: Yelim! Her first national title! I'm so proud of her.

Her seventh Nationals, and she got it done. It must have been so hard to have Worlds cancelled for her last year. After such a hard fought battle to be chosen to go and after missing the Junior World team by a hair so many times, including missing it due to injury the year she qualified. (Plus knowing Haein would be moving up this season). Yet here Yelim is, making both programs count again at this year's Nationals. I think she's come so far. Her arm movement has always been one of her best qualities, IMO, but she has really learned how to hold all of her movements out, and her jumps are much higher since she has grown. (I've always felt there was something a bit Kostner-esque about the way she moves, and she is growing into this taller persona now. Fitting the jumps into the rink & learning to wait patiently when needed on the landings). It's still like pulling teeth to get her to crack a smile, but they've chosen wisely.

Thank you so much, @seabm7, for the links to the videos.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon: Yelim! Her first national title! I'm so proud of her.
I totally agree. Plus - shallow-comment alert! - she’s always had the most beautiful packaging and dresses... probably in the world, not just among Koreans, who are always beautifully packaged! (If we could only get the Korean designers in Russia... 😉)

Kateri

void beast
Finally watched some of the videos:

Eunsoo Lim - not the disaster I expected from what others were saying. Her jumps are still good when she lands them, and she's so smooth and elegant. But two falls aren't gonna cut it in this field, and though East of Eden is very much in her style-wheelhouse, the choreo was minimal and she didn't look like she wanted to be there. (She hasn't for years, let's be honest)

Ahsun Yun - Big light jumps, lovely arm movements, musical, great spins! She's the full package, and it sucks she didn't get a junior season this year, she'd have been right up there!

Yelim Kim - Her Love Story programme from last season. She was really clean, and her jumps are huge. She's clearly very talented, but her packaging doesn't stand out.

Haein Lee - I loved her in juniors, and this Swan Lake programme is really good! Love the music cuts. Great jumps. She needs more sharpness to her movement, and more expression, but I'm so happy we'll get to see her again at Worlds!

Young You - LOTR. Big splat on the 3A and on the 2A-3T combo, and though many of the other jumps were spectacular, sadly there's not a lot a lot to recommend her skating beyond the jumps. I'm still mad this programme doesn't have a Taking The Hobbits to Isengard climactic footwork section. That would redeem anything.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Kiss & Cry section now that the Ranking Competition has concluded:
National Envelope A (8 women, official by SPO TV)

Yelim KIM 408.54
Ahsun YUN 393.91
Young YOU 393.87
Haein LEE 386.25
Seoyeong WI 380.45
Eunsoo LIM 368.46
Chaeyeon KIM 345.73 (Surprise! Chaeyeon was the first skater at short program of the Korean National)
Hanul KIM 341.73

Seoyeon JI as 341.65 missed the cut. Let's hope Ahsun YUN and Chaeyeon KIM can debut at JPG seres this year.
@seabm7, do the top 4 men qualify for National Envelope A? (Junhwan CHA, Sihyeong LEE, Younghyun CHA & Jaeseok KYEONG)

How many envelope levels are there?

ETA:

Article with a focus on Ahsun YUN - "'Fearless 14-year-old' Yoon Ah-sun, also ranked 3rd in the figure skating ranking competition":
Top 4:
Yelim KIM 209.23
Young YOU 199.06
Ahsun YUN 195.92
Haien LEE 190.85

Last edited:

seabm7

How many envelope levels are there?

I used alphabets since they look easier then the original Korean wording.

National Team member (level A): 8 single women and 4 single men

National Team member reserve (level B): 9 single women and 3 single men

Youth Team member (level C): 8 single women and 2 single men

and

Espoir member: Mostly novice skaters.

seabm7

Finally, SBS is providing high quality, free streaming of the entire World Championships in Korea. This is in addition to the real time broadcast of the final groups of Men's and Women's single skating with reasonable commentary.

Korean fans are really happy at this development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information