Korean skating news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Since PyeongChang is behind us, here is a new thread for Korean skating news...

Grand Prix assignments:
2 KOR ladies:
Dabin CHOI: Skate Canada & NHK Trophy
Eunsoo LIM (debut): Rostelecom Cup
2 KOR men:
Junhwan CHA: Skate Canada & Helsinki (recently added as alternate) back-to-back
June Hyoung LEE: NHK Trophy

Challenger Series so far:
Eunsoo LIM won the gold in Ladies at Asian Open FS Trophy last month in Bangkok; Seoyoung YOON placed 10th.
Se Jong BYUN won the bronze in Men at Asian Open; Sunghoon PARK finished 7th.
Yelim KIM & Eunsoo LIM (ladies) are scheduled for the U.S. Classic in Salt Lake City.
Boyoung KIM (lady) and June Hyoung LEE & Jaeseok KYEONG (men) are scheduled for Lombardia Trophy.
Yujin CHOI & Hyunsoo KIM (ladies) are scheduled for Ondrej Nepela Trophy (Sub: JooHyun LEE).
Junhwan CHA (man) and Eunseo LEE (lady) is scheduled for Autumn Classic in Oakville.

Junior Grand Prix Ladies:
Young YOU won bronze in Bratislava and is scheduled for Canada next week.
Haein LEE was 4th in her debut in Linz and won the gold at Asian Open FS Trophy in Bangkok.
Jihun TO was 7th in Bratislava and is listed for Canada.
Gyohee JEON was 15th in her debut in Linz.
Yelim KIM and Subeen JEON compete in Kaunas this week and Yelim is also listed for Ostrava.
Seoyeong WI is scheduled to debut at #5 Ostrava; she won the bronze at Asian Open FS Trophy in Bangkok.
Subs: Minseung KIM and Seungbeen YU

Junior Grand Prix Men:
Jaeseok KYEONG was 9th in Bratislava.
Younghyun CHA was 8th in Linz.
Geonhyeong AN competes in Kaunas this week.
Sub: Sihyeong LEE

Junior Grand Prix Dance:
Jeongeun JEON / Sungmin CHOI placed 14th in their debut in Bratislava.

Last edited:

alexikeguchi

I really enjoyed Yelim Kim's FS Lithuania, and her total score looks competitive for a top 10 finish at senior worlds even with a mistake in the SP. I assume she'll skate senior domestically but is just doing JGP for greater opportunities internationally?

Sylvia

TBD
Yelim just became ISU Senior age-eligible this season and I assume Korea likely will send her to a senior comp. to get the minimum technical scores for 4CC/Worlds.

ETA that Young YOU turned 14 in May and has one more season to wait. See @binbinwinwin's post below - I forgot Yelim was scheduled to make her ISU Challenger debut at U.S. Classic next week!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Will Yelim get a second assignment? I've never heard of her until now and I was impressed.
Yes, she's scheduled for #5 Ostrava.

KSU holds an annual JGP selection competition in the summer -- copying over @spiral9509's July 2018 posts with video links from the JGP general thread:
Team Korea, 2018 JGP assignment

JGP Bratislava, Slovakia Young YOU, Jihun TO (ladies); Jaeseok KYEONG (men); Jeongeun JEON/Seongmin CHOI* (ice dance)
JGP Linz, Austria Haein LEE*, Seo young WI* (ladies); Younghyun CHA (men)
JGP Kaunas, Lithuania Ye lim KIM, Subeen Jeon (ladies); Geonhyoung An(men)
JGP Vancouver, Canada Young YOU, Jihun TO (ladies); Sihyeong LEE(men); Jeongeun JEON/Seongmin CHOI (ice dance)
JGP Ostrava, Czech Ye lim KIM, Seo young WI (ladies)
JGP Ljubljana, Slovenia Haein LEE, Seungbeen YU* (ladies); Younghyun CHA (men)
JGP Yerevan, Armenia Gyohee JEON*, Minseung KIM* (ladies); Geonhyoung An(men)

- based upon Gyohee JEON's instagram and other sources

* Skaters who will make their JGP debut.
Ladies
Haein LEE (04/2005) first Jr. eligible seaon
Seo Young WI (03/2005) first Jr. eligible season
Seongbeen YU (09/2004) first Jr. eligible season
Minseung KIM (11/2004) first Jr. eligible season
Gyohee JEON (03/2002)

Ice Dance
Jeongeun JEON (01/2002) /Seongmin CHOI (12/2002)

- Some trivia
1) Eunsoo LIM will NOT compete at the JGP, because she got an assignment at COR, a Senior Grand Prix.
2) Young YOU and Yelim KIM have been coached by Tom Zakrajsek since this off-season.
3) Jeongeun JEON /Seongmin CHOI will be the first Korean junior ice dancers appearing in international events, since Hojung LEE / Richard Kang-in KAM competeted in 2016 JW.
JGP Bratislav will be also JEON & CHOI's first international competition.
The best results for Korean junior ice dancers in JGP were 4th place by Rebeca Kim/Kirill Minov (2013 Minsk) and Hojung LEE/Kangin KAM (2015 Bratislava).
Here are the result and fancams on the 1st day.

2018 JGP South Korean Trials SP result & video

Junior Ladies SP result

1 YOUNG YOU 67.97 video 2A, 3Lz+3T, 3F!x
2 HAEIN LEE 62.68 video 3Lz+3T, 3F!, 2Ax
3 YELIM KIM 61.28 video 3Lz+3T<, 3F!, 2Ax
4 SEO YOUNG WI 58.36 video 3Lz+3T, 3F, 2Ax
5 JIHUN TO 57.41 video 3Lz+3T<, 3F<!,2Ax
6 SEUNGBEEN YU 46.84
7 SUBEEN JEON 46.80
8 HYUNSOO LEE 45.81
9 MINSEUNG KIM 44.92
10 EUNSEO LEE 43.03
11 SOEUN CHOI 42.36
12 GYOHEE JEON 40.58
13 HYUNSOO CHOI 39.55
14 CHAEEUN NOH 38.91
15 YU RIM LEE 38.27
16 BOYOUNG KIM 37.29
17 SIWON LEE 36.90
18 SOOMIN KANG 31.83
19 SOHYUN AN KOR 30.16

* Total 14 spots for Team Korea Ladies:
2 spots for each top 5 skater, 1 spot for each 4 skater.

Junior Men SP result

1 SIHYEONG LEE 67.25 video 2A, 3Lz+3T, 3Fx
2 YOUNGHYUN CHA 61.45 video 3Lz+3T, 2A, 3Fx
3 GEONHYEONG AN 57.17 video 3T+3T, 3F, 2Ax
4 JAESEOK KYEONG 55.84
5 SUNGHOON PARK 54.84
6 HANGIL KIM 54.12

* Total 6 spots for Team Korea Men.

Ice Dance RD result

1 JEONGEUN JEON / SEONGMIN CHOI 28.89 video

* Total 2 Spots
2018 JGP South Korean Trials final result & FS/FD fancams

Junior Ladies

Pl. Name Total SP FS
1 YOUNG YOU 185.94 1 1 FS 3A<(fall), 3Lz+3T, 3Lo, 2A+3T<, 3Lzx, 3F+2T+2Lox, 1Sx
2 HAEIN LEE 175.97 2 2 FS
3 YELIM KIM 172.33 3 3 FS
4 SEO YOUNG WI 160.37 4 4 FS
5 JIHUN TO 153.53 5 5 FS
----------------------- 2 spots
6 SEUNGBEEN YU 132.48 6 7 FS
7 MINSEUNG KIM 130.42 9 8 FS
8 SUBEEN JEON 128.70 7 11 FS
9 GYOHEE JEON 128.65 12 6 FS
----------------------- 1 spot
10 HYUNSOO LEE 128.62 8 9 FS
11 SOEUN CHOI 123.11 11 12
12 HYUNSOO CHOI 121.60 13 10
13 EUNSEO LEE 120.99 10 14
14 BOYOUNG KIM 115.96 16 13
15 CHAEEUN NOH 112.04 14 15
16 SIWON LEE 99.52 17 16
17 YU RIM LEE 97.34 15 17
18 SOOMIN KANG 87.86 18 18
19 SOHYUN AN 30.16 19 WD

Junior Men

1 YOUNGHYUN CHA 178.69 2 1 FS
2 GEONHYEONG AN 171.59 3 3 FS
---------------------- 2 spots
3 JAESEOK KYEONG 171.50 4 2 FS
4 SIHYEONG LEE 163.47 1 5 FS
---------------------- 1 spot
5 SUNGHOON PARK 161.28 5 4 FS
6 HANGIL KIM 142.78 6 6 FS

Ice Dance

1 JEONGEUN JEON / SEONGMIN CHOI 76.19 1 1 FD

Dobre

I really enjoyed Yelim Kim's FS Lithuania, and her total score looks competitive for a top 10 finish at senior worlds even with a mistake in the SP. I assume she'll skate senior domestically but is just doing JGP for greater opportunities internationally?

She has skated at Senior Nationals in Korea four seasons already. She won silver at Senior Nationals in 2017.

Will Yelim get a second assignment? I've never heard of her until now and I was impressed.

She has earned two JGP spots the last two years and--as mentioned above--will have two again this season. Korea passes out two to the top three finishers at their JGP Selection event. She qualified for Junior Worlds in 2017--finishing behind Eunsoo Lim and ahead of Dabin Choi that year at Nationals--but had to withdraw due to a late season injury that year.

Last year she struggled with underotations. Zero today:).

Marco

I love these young Korean girls. They have such musicality. They care about performance much more than they care about points or how many times they lift their legs up after a jump landing.

hanca

Values her privacy
I love these young Korean girls. They have such musicality. They care about performance much more than they care about points or how many times they lift their legs up after a jump landing.
Hmmm, and here I thought that the goal while competing is to win. Otherwise one could just skate in shows.

Marco

Hmmm, and here I thought that the goal while competing is to win. Otherwise one could just skate in shows.

Many Korean girls' programs are structured to showcase the best package they can bring. Which is competitive and also pleasant to watch.

Many Russian girls' programs are structured to just maximise points at the expense of musicality and program integrity. Which is competitive but for me not so pleasant to watch.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpts from an article published in The Daily Pennsylvanian (University of Pennsylvania's independent student media organization): https://www.thedp.com/article/2018/09/ice-skating-olympics-yura-min-upenn-philadelphia
Yura Min, South Korea's two-time national champion ice dancer, chatted and skated with students at an event Saturday hosted by the Korean Student Association and the Penn Figure Skating Club.
The event, which first took place in Huntsman Hall and then at the Penn Ice Rink at the Class of 1923 Arena, involved both a Q&A session and an on-ice portion, during which students could skate with Min and chat about her life as a skater and her career successes. Topics of conversation ranged from Min's early life as an ice dancer to her most embarrassing Olympics stories.
Min also talked about her split from skating partner Alexander Gamelin and her hopes for the future with new partner Daniel Eaton. She described her first time skating with Eaton as productive and successful, and that they were "in-sync" from their first practice together.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Since PyeongChang is behind us, here is a new thread for Korean skating news...

Grand Prix assignments:
2 KOR ladies:
Dabin CHOI: Skate Canada & NHK Trophy
Eunsoo LIM (debut): Rostelecom Cup
2 KOR men:
Junhwan CHA: Skate Canada & Helsinki (recently added as alternate) back-to-back
June Hyoung LEE: NHK Trophy

Challenger Series so far:
Eunsoo LIM won the gold in Ladies at Asian Open FS Trophy last month in Bangkok; Seoyoung YOON placed 10th.
Se Jong BYUN won the bronze in Men at Asian Open; Sunghoon PARK finished 7th.
Yelim KIM & Eunsoo LIM (ladies) are scheduled for the U.S. Classic in Salt Lake City.
Boyoung KIM (lady) and June Hyoung LEE & Jaeseok KYEONG (men) are scheduled for Lombardia Trophy.
Yujin CHOI & Hyunsoo KIM (ladies) are scheduled for Ondrej Nepela Trophy (Sub: JooHyun LEE).
Junhwan CHA (man) and Eunseo LEE (lady) is scheduled for Autumn Classic in Oakville.

Junior Grand Prix Ladies:
Young YOU won bronze in Bratislava and is scheduled for Canada next week.
Haein LEE was 4th in her debut in Linz and won the gold at Asian Open FS Trophy in Bangkok.
Jihun TO was 7th in Bratislava and is listed for Canada.
Gyohee JEON was 15th in her debut in Linz.
Yelim KIM and Subeen JEON compete in Kaunas this week and Yelim is also listed for Ostrava.
Seoyeong WI is scheduled to debut at #5 Ostrava; she won the bronze at Asian Open FS Trophy in Bangkok.
Subs: Minseung KIM and Seungbeen YU

Junior Grand Prix Men:
Jaeseok KYEONG was 9th in Bratislava.
Younghyun CHA was 8th in Linz.
Geonhyeong AN competes in Kaunas this week.
Sub: Sihyeong LEE

Junior Grand Prix Dance:
Jeongeun JEON / Sungmin CHOI placed 14th in their debut in Bratislava.

It looks like YuNa Kim's influence is paying off.

tamms

Yelim Kim was a delight to watch at US Classic. I’m looking forward to seeing more of her and Eunsoo too.

Now let’s wait to see Dabin perform her programs at her assignments. She’s always so pleasant to watch.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Jun Hwan Cha is looking very much improved and more consistent at the start of this season at Autumn Classic. His blazing talent has always been evident, and now with more maturity he seems primed to make new strides.

Cha's R&J fp by Shae Lynn Bourne is fun to watch, and I can see him growing with it over the course of the season. He still needs to flesh out getting more into the movement and interpretation, but it's an exciting program.

Dobre

:cheer2:Yay, Yelim! Two silver medals on the JGP! Plus bronze in her senior debut at the U.S. Classic. A solid SP and LP this week. Clean jumps. Zero URs or edge calls (just ran overtime in her LP). She set a new personal best overall score.

Also kudos to Seoyeong Wi, who finished fourth in what I believe was her JGP debut.

s_parks

So how does the 4CC's/Worlds selection work this season?
Can someone explain?
4CC- ranking comp.(takes place in december) results
worlds- nationals(january) results
*for both competitions, they have to meet minimum TES for 4cc/worlds before participation in ranking or nats.

binbinwinwin

You Young competed last weekend at the 8th Annual Invitational Series Final in California as a Senior Lady and won with a score of 185.91. She attempted the 3A and popped it in the SP and it was underrotated in the LP. It seems that she has gone back to her Pirates of the Caribbean LP from last season.

Videos:
SP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpgeNSqIZTQ
LP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJFOIuk0lXw

Results and Protocols:
https://www.socalinterclub.org/2018 invitational results/index.html

J

Jeschke

Some good news for you, So Youn is going to Inge Solar Memorial CS in November as per the entry list here. She answered on Instagram a while ago that she is keeping her SP from last season and her FS is a movie soundtrack.
Thanks, I am really happy to see her again.
Wonder if Choi shows up after her GP events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information