ISU 2021-22 Junior Grand Prix announcement

Sylvia

TBD
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-communications/26269-isu-communication-2431/file
3. ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2021/22 – Qualification Criteria
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic related travel and entry restrictions, the ISU Council had decided not
to apply the usual ISU Junior Grand Prix ranking system as basis for the ISU Junior Grand Prix of
Figure Skating Final qualification system (please refer to ISU Communication 2418).
The Council decided on the following qualification criteria for the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final
2021/2022.
Single Men and Women
i) The 7 winners of each individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Event will qualify for the Final.
ii) Should there only be 6 different individual winners out of the 7 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because a Skater has won 2 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events, the 6 different individual winners will qualify for the Final.
iii) Should there be fewer than 6 different individual winners out of the 7 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because more Skaters have won 2 JGP Events, all the different individual winners will qualify for the Final. In addition, the best 2nd placed Skater(s), 3rd placed Skater(s) and so forth by total score, who are not yet qualified as a winner, would be invited to the Final to reach the number of 6 entries.
iv) Japan as the host Member will be granted 1 Wild Card Entry for Men and for Women.
JUNIOR WOMEN
233.08 Sofia AKATEVA RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (gold); 225.64 JGP Baltic Cup (gold)
216.92 Veronika ZHILINA RUS JGP Kosice (gold); did not compete in a 2nd JGP reportedly due to an ankle injury
210.57 Adeliia PETROSIAN RUS JGP Ljubljana Cup (gold); 201.21 JGP Kosice (bronze)
202.35 Isabeau LEVITO USA JGP Courchevel 2 (gold); Linz this week
181.45 Lindsay THORNGREN USA JGP Courchevel 1 (gold); 193.77 JGP Ljubljana Cup (bronze)
---
1 spot left:
208.25 Sofia MURAVIEVA RUS JGP Kosice (silver); Linz this week
206.20 Anastasia ZININA RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (silver); Linz this week
205.67 Sofia SAMODELKINA RUS JGP Ljubljana Cup (silver); 202.39 JGP Krasnoyarsk (bronze)
196.83 Elizaveta KULIKOVA RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (4th)
196.07 Elizaveta BERESTOVSKAIA RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (5th)

JUNIOR MEN
231.99 Ilya YABLOKOV RUS JGP Ljubljana Cup (gold); 207.39 JGP Kosice (silver)
231.26 Gleb LUTFULLIN RUS JGP Baltic Cup (gold); 230.42 JGP Krasnoyarsk (gold)
215.96 Kirill SARNOVSKIY RUS JGP Kosice (gold); Linz this week
214.64 Ilia MALININ USA JGP Courchevel 1 (gold); Linz this week
199.89 Wesley CHIU CAN JGP Courchevel 2 (gold); 217.59 JGP Krasnoyarsk (bronze)
-----
1 spot left:
223.29 Egor RUKHIN RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (silver); 202.28 JGP Baltic Cup (bronze)
212.32 Artem KOVALEV RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (4th); ETA added to Linz today, replacing Vladislav Dikidzhi (thanks for the heads up @Stephanie :))
207.03 Mikhail SHAIDOROV KAZ JGP Baltic Cup (silver)
204.60 William ANNIS USA JGP Kosice (bronze)
201.28 Fedor ZONOV RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (5th)
199.83 Mihhail SELEVKO EST JGP Krasnoyarsk (6th); Linz this week

Pair
i) The 4 winners of each individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Event will qualify for the Final.
ii) Should there be fewer than 4 different individual winners out of the 4 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because a Pair has won 2 JGP Events, all the different individual winners will qualify for the Final. In addition, the best 2nd placed Pairs(s), 3rd placed Pairs(s) and so forth by total score, who are not yet qualified as a winner, would be invited to the Final to reach the number of 4 entries.
JUNIOR PAIRS
189.11 Ekaterina CHIKMAREVA / Matvei IANCHENKOV RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (gold); 171.97 JGP Baltic Cup (gold)
171.99 Anastasia MUKHORTOVA / Dmitry EVGENYEV RUS JGP Kosice (gold); Linz this week
-----
2 spots left:
183.87 Natalia KHABIBULLINA / Ilya KNYAZHUK RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (silver); Linz this week
170.46 Ekaterina PETUSHKOVA / Evgenii MALIKOV RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (bronze); 169.80 JGP Baltic Cup (silver)
168.26 Karina SAFINA / Luka BERULAVA GEO JGP Kosice (silver); Linz this week
168.13 Ekaterina STORUBLEVTCEVA / Artem GRITSAENKO RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (4th); Linz this week
162.14 Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Aleksei BRIUKHANOV RUS JGP Baltic Cup (bronze); 158.82 JGP Kosice (bronze)
158.68 Anastasia GOLUBEVA / Hektor GIOTOPOULOS MOORE AUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (5th); Linz this week
153.63 Anastasiia SMIRNOVA / Danylo SIIANYTSIA USA JGP Baltic Cup (4th); Linz this week

Ice Dance
i) The 7 winners of each individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating event will qualify for the Final.
ii) Should there only be 6 different individual winners out of the 7 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because a Couple has won 2 JGP Events, the 6 different individual winners will qualify for the Final.
iii) Should there be fewer than 6 different individual winners out of the 7 individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because more Couples have won 2 JGP Events, all the different individual winners will qualify for the Final. In addition, the best 2nd placed Couple(s), 3rd placed Couples(s) and so forth by total score, who are not yet qualified as a winner, would be invited to the Final to reach the number of 6 entries.
JUNIOR ICE DANCE
168.96 Irina KHAVRONINA / Dario CIRISANO RUS JGP Baltic Cup (gold); 167.31 JGP Krasnoyarsk (gold)
167.22 Vasilisa KAGANOVSKAIA / Valeriy ANGELOPOL RUS JGP Ljubljana Cup (gold); 160.72 JGP Kosice (silver)
165.01 Katarina WOLFKOSTIN / Jeffrey CHEN USA JGP Courchevel 1 (gold); 163.25 JGP Ljubljana Cup (silver)
163.04 Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL CAN JGP Kosice (gold); 161.79 JGP Ljubljana Cup (bronze)
154.25 Oona BROWN / Gage BROWN USA JGP Courchevel 2 (gold); Linz this week
-----
1 spot left:
165.14 Sofia LEONTEVA / Daniil GORELKIN RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (silver); Linz this week
160.23 Angela LING / Caleb WEIN USA JGP Krasnoyarsk (bronze); Linz this week
157.39 Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT CAN JGP Krasnoyarsk (4th); Linz this week
156.35 Olga MAMCHENKOVA / Mark VOLKOV RUS JGP Krasnoyarsk (5th); 147.61 JGP Baltic Cup (4th)
155.98 Sofya TYUTYUNINA / Alexander SHUSTITSKIY RUS JGP Kosice (bronze); Linz this week
154.34 Isabella FLORES / Dimitry TSAREVSKI USA JGP Baltic Cup (silver); 153.07 JGP Courchevel 2 (silver)

Last edited:

Hanna

Skating junkie
Eh, so only 4 pairs in total? Why :wuzrobbed

Edit: What I would've done :p is take the average scores from all those who competed twice and put the skaters in order based on those. And then just choose the top 6 or 7 or whatever. And add the Japanese host spots.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The big winner of this is Zhilina, who (by plain reading) is now qualified for the Final despite not being able to skate a second event.

Also, in dazzling ISU fashion, they waited so long to announce this that the "if there are seven different winners" criterion is already obsolete in all three categories.
She definitely benefits from this but, there are 3 other big winners...

Thorngren, Chiu and Brown/Brown - their winning scores are well below the top 2 non-winners in their disciplines.

Karen-W

Eh, so only 4 pairs in total? Why :wuzrobbed
Probably because there are only 4 pairs events on the JGP and a pairs warm up group is 4 teams so it makes for a nice cut off. Though, I think they would have only qualified the top 5 dance teams and kept that to just one warm-up group as well.

Karen-W

Wesley Chiu scored 217.59 in winning bronze at JGP Krasnoyarsk so he's "legit." ;)
True. He's capable of scoring well. And, I suppose Thorngren has a higher base value that would get her closer to 200+ if she lands her 3A in the FS.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Currently qualified in each discipline by virtue of their JGP wins:

Men
Ilya Yablokov RUS (Ljubljana)
Gleb Lutfullin RUS (Krasnoyarsk & Gdansk)
Wesley Chiu CAN (Courchevel 2)
Ilia Malinin USA (Courchevel 1)
Kiriil Sarnovskiy RUS (Kosice)

Women
Lindsay Thorngren USA (Courchevel 1)
Isabeau Levito USA (Courchevel 2)
Sofia Akateva RUS (Krasnoyarsk & Gdansk)
Adeliia Petrosian RUS (Ljubljana)
Veronika Zhilina RUS (Kosice) - she's currently injured but the JGPF is 2 months away

Pairs
Anastasia Mukhortova/Dimitry Evgenyev RUS (Kosice)
Ekaterina Chikmareva/Matvei Ianchenkov RUS (Krasnoyarsk & Gdansk)

Dance
Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen USA (Courchevel 1)
Oona Brown/Gage Brown USA (Courchevel 2)
Natalie d'Alessandro/Bruce Waddell CAN (Kosice)
Irina Khavronina/Dario Cirisano RUS (Krasnoyarsk & Gdansk)
Vasilisa Kaganovskaia/Valeriy Angelopol RUS (Ljubljana)

Not sure who has the highest total points for the extra spots should there be less than 6 different winners in Women, Men or Dance, or less than 4 in Pairs.

Interesting. Let’s unpack this as if it were a housewives episode

What does everyone think? At first I was going to complain and then I saw all of the US entries so I think I’m good

Hanna

Skating junkie
What does everyone think? At first I was going to complain and then I saw all of the US entries so I think I’m good
It's definitely a winning situation for the non-Russians (mostly US and CAN skaters I think) as there are now plenty of skaters who will be making it in from the first 2 events when the Russians weren't attending.

Hanna

Skating junkie
This is much more fair than taking highest scores - those who competed early definitely would've been at a disadvantage otherwise given the way the scores suddenly shot up when Russian's began competing again.
I wouldn't have taken the highest score but either the average of both events or the scores of 2 events added together (basically the same result).

Colonel Green

It's definitely a winning situation for the non-Russians (mostly US and CAN skaters I think) as there are now plenty of skaters who will be making it in from the first 2 events when the Russians weren't attending.
Once we have the JGP Linz results we'll be able to compare the final qualifiers with who would have qualified under all the alternate criteria.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
The big winner of this is Zhilina, who (by plain reading) is now qualified for the Final despite not being able to skate a second event.

Also, in dazzling ISU fashion, they waited so long to announce this that the "if there are seven different winners" criterion is already obsolete in all three categories.
They also announced this after JSF assigned their best juniors to senior GPs lol

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So Ilya, Isabeau and the Browns are in no matter the result at the upcoming JGP Linz. Woohoo! Same with the Russians Mukhortova/ Evgenyev in Pairs and Sarnovsky in Men’s...into the JGP Finals no matter the results in Linz. Woohoo!

I’m curious to see if the powers-that-be do things to ensure unique (first time) gold medalists in Linz? If Isabeau is the best, she should win a 2nd gold, for ex.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Communication No. 2431 published today also announced the 7 JGP locations for next season (all in Europe again):

5. ISU Junior Grand Prix Season 2022/23 The Council approved the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar for the season 2022/23 as follows:

August 24-27, 2022 Courchevel / FRA
August 31-September 3, 2022 Ostrava / CZE (including Pair Skating)
September 7-10, 2022 Riga / LAT (including Pair Skating)
September 21-24, 2022 Yerevan / ARM (2nd time)
September 28 - October 1, 2022 Zagreb / CRO (including Pair Skating)
October 5-8, 2022 Gdansk / POL (including Pair Skating) October 12-15, 2022 Egna-Neumarkt / ITA

Karen-W

So Ilya, Isabeau and the Browns are in no matter the result at the upcoming JGP Linz. Woohoo!

I’m curious to see if the powers-that-be do things to ensure unique (first time) gold medalists in Linz? If Isabeau is the best, she should win a 2nd gold, for ex.
Yes, they're all in, no matter what.

Dance will be really interesting since Ling/Wein had some errors in their FD in Krasnoyarsk, IIRC. I'm not sure they'll be able to increase their score enough to catch up with Leonteva/Gorelkin. And it will be interesting to see if the Browns score can jump into the 160-range. They really are the outlier in dance.

I would be shocked if any of the men scheduled for Linz beat both Sarnovskiy and Malinin.

Women - I love been feeling like this event is Muravieva's since Zhilina was replaced by Zinina.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I would be shocked if any of the men scheduled for Linz beat both Sarnovskiy and Malinin.
The possibility would be Kovalev of Russia, who seemed unbeatable in the SP, then bombed the LP to finish 4th (Krasnoyarsk). His total best score is 222 or thereabouts (Volvo 2019).

Taso

So strange not to do at least one event in Asia and one in North America...jeez...but does anyone know what the deal is with Orleans, France, bidding and getting 2023-24 GPF without 2022-23 assigned yet :lol:

RoseRed

Yes, they're all in, no matter what.

Dance will be really interesting since Ling/Wein had some errors in their FD in Krasnoyarsk, IIRC. I'm not sure they'll be able to increase their score enough to catch up with Leonteva/Gorelkin. And it will be interesting to see if the Browns score can jump into the 160-range. They really are the outlier in dance.

Women - I love been feeling like this event is Muravieva's since Zhilina was replaced by Zinina.
Artem Kovalev would be possible, if he can repeat the SP from his first event and do a better FS. He came 4th with a 212 score with a very messy free. He's the only one I could see doing it.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Thanks for the update! Good for all the US JGPF qualifiers who automatically qualify for Nationals now. I don't hate this system as all the event winners are worthy, but yea the 4 pairs thing feels a bit cheap and sad to me, oh well. They'll have other opportunities to compete, sans prize money, at all the Russian events. :p

Sylvia

TBD
ISU officially announced the JGP Finalist qualifiers today: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...inal-after-successful-series?templateParam=15
("The host country Japan received one wild card entry for the Junior Women and Men, so that there will be seven competitors in these disciplines.")

Ilia Malinin (USA) leads the Men’s finalists after winning the first event in Courchevel (FRA) and the last event in Linz (AUT). Gleb Lutfullin (RUS) picked up two gold medals in Krasnoyarsk (RUS) and in Gdansk (POL). They are joined by Ilya Yablokov (RUS), Kirill Sarnovskiy (RUS) and Wesley Chiu (CAN), who won one event each. Egor Rukhin (RUS) made it to the Final with a silver.

Sofia Akateva (RUS) is the top qualifier in the Junior Women and the only one with two victories in the series, which came in Russia and Poland. Veronika Zhilina (RUS), Sofia Muravieva (RUS), Adeliia Petrosian (RUS), Isabeau Levito (USA) and Lindsay Thorngren (USA) proceed with one gold medal each.

In the Ice Dance, Irina Khavronina/Dario Cirisano (RUS) struck gold on home ice and in Gdansk and are the top team in the Final with two victories. Vasilisa Kaganovskaia/Valeriy Angelopol (RUS), Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen (USA), Natalie d’Alessandro/Bruce Waddell (CAN), Sofya Tyutyunina/Alexander Shustitskiy (RUS) and Oona Brown/Gage Brown (USA) won one event each to qualify.

Pair Skaters Ekaterina Chikmareva/Matvei Ianchenkov (RUS) earned their ticket to Osaka with wins in Krasnoyarsk and Gdansk. Natalia Khabibullina/Ilya Knyazhuk (RUS) collected the gold in Linz while Anastasia Mukhortova/Dmitry Evgenyev (RUS) topped the podium in Kosice. Ekaterina Petushkova/Evgenii Malikov (RUS) qualified with their silver medal from Poland.

How did Petushkova/Malikov get in ahead of Safina/Berulava?

179.27 Karina SAFINA / Luka BERULAVA GEO - Linz (bronze); 168.26 Kosice (silver)
170.46 Ekaterina PETUSHKOVA / Evgenii MALIKOV RUS - Krasnoyarsk (bronze); 169.80 Gdansk (silver)

ISU Communication No. 2431 (Oct. 4, 2021):
B. Junior Pairs
i) The 4 winners of each individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Event will qualify for
the Final.
ii) Should there be fewer than 4 different individual winners out of the 4 individual ISU Junior
Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because a Pair has won 2 JGP Events, all the different
individual winners will qualify for the Final. In addition, the best 2nd placed Pairs(s), 3rd placed
Pairs(s) and so forth by total score, who are not yet qualified as a winner, would be invited to
the Final to reach the number of 4 entries.

Last edited:

Stephanie

ISU officially announced the JGP Finalist qualifiers today: https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...inal-after-successful-series?templateParam=15

179.27 Karina SAFINA / Luka BERULAVA GEO - Linz (bronze); 168.26 Kosice (silver)
170.46 Ekaterina PETUSHKOVA / Evgenii MALIKOV RUS - Krasnoyarsk (bronze); 169.80 Gdansk (silver)
They went by best second place score and third place scores weren't considered. P/M's 169.8 from their silver medal in Gdansk was higher than S/B's 168.26 silver medal in Kosice. It's only after all the second place scores are accounted for that third place scores are considered.

https://www.isu.org/docman-document...2/series-files-39/rankings/26346-pairs-1/file

All the rankings are posted here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/events/junior-grand-prix-of-figure-skating

Colonel Green

The key is the highlighted section:
B. Junior Pairs
i) The 4 winners of each individual ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Event will qualify for
the Final.
ii) Should there be fewer than 4 different individual winners out of the 4 individual ISU Junior
Grand Prix of Figure Skating Events because a Pair has won 2 JGP Events, all the different
individual winners will qualify for the Final. In addition, the best 2nd placed Pairs(s), 3rd placed
Pairs(s) and so forth by total score
, who are not yet qualified as a winner, would be invited to
the Final to reach the number of 4 entries.
By which the ISU meant that they rank the scores of the silver medalists at the event where they won the silver medal.

Sylvia

TBD
They went by best second place score and third place scores weren't considered. P/M's 169.8 from their silver medal in Gdansk was higher than S/B's 168.26 silver medal in Kosice. It's only after all the second place scores are accounted for that third place scores are considered.

https://www.isu.org/docman-document...2/series-files-39/rankings/26346-pairs-1/file

All the rankings are posted here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/events/junior-grand-prix-of-figure-skating
Thank you! Not happy wih this ranking system, though...

Stephanie

Thank you! Not happy wih this ranking system, though...
Agreed, at least for pairs. I don't understand why they couldn't just use the normal ranking system for pairs since none of the events were really affected by c**** restrictions. If they had used the normal system Safina/Berulava would have made it over Petushkova/Malikov since they would have been tied on points (13+11/2nd+3rd) but S/L would have gone through on the better combined scores.

hanca

Values her privacy
Agreed, at least for pairs. I don't understand why they couldn't just use the normal ranking system for pairs since none of the events were really affected by c**** restrictions. If they had used the normal system Safina/Berulava would have made it over Petushkova/Malikov since they would have been tied on points (13+11/2nd+3rd) but S/L would have gone through on the better combined scores.
If they did it in normal way, there would be no issue whether to choose Petushkova/Malikov or Safina/Berulava. Both pairs would qualify, because in the ‘normal system’ as it has been until now, there have always been six junior pairs qualifying. And Kostiukovich/Briukhanov would also qualify, as a pair number 6.

Stephanie

I think it depends if they're going to try and stuff all seven junior singles skaters into a single warmup or do two separate warmups. If it's two warmups, as opposed to the usual one, this would eat into the schedule and is maybe why they would reduce the number of pairs (one warmup instead of 2, 4 programs instead of 6).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information