ISU Junior Grand Prix 2024-25

Andrea82

ISU Council approved the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Calendar for the season 2024/25 as follows:

August 21-24, 2024 Epinal /FRA

August 28-31, 2024 Riga / LAT (including Pair Skating)

September 4-7, 2024 Ostrava / CZE (including Pair Skating)

September 11-14, 2024 Bangkok / THA

September 18-21, 2024 Istanbul / TUR (including Pair Skating)

September 25-28, 2024 Gdansk / POL (including Pair Skating)

October 2-5, 2024 Ljubljana /SLO

December 5-8, 2024 Grand Prix Final Orléans / FRA

Source: https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/32175-isu-communication-2597/file

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Can someone refresh my Cointreau? Do they mostly go to countries where figure skating is developing? I know Japan has gotten it before and I think USA maybe but does it ever go to like Australia, Mexico, Spain or Italy. Seems like North American skaters always have to do the most traveling.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Yes to all 4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISU_Junior_Grand_Prix

In France, Épinal will be the first time a JGP is held there (only new location in 2024).

interesting. Thanks for sending. I noticed Finland, Switzerland, and some other countries have never had it at all. It does seem like a lot of countries have it multiple times. Anyway not complaining just making an observation. I’m more into the junior Grand Prix than ever.

airgelaal

Can someone refresh my Cointreau? Do they mostly go to countries where figure skating is developing? I know Japan has gotten it before and I think USA maybe but does it ever go to like Australia, Mexico, Spain or Italy. Seems like North American skaters always have to do the most traveling.
Perhaps other countries don't want it that much?

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
Russia, Canada and the USA have all hosted JGPs in past seasons.

Russia is currently BANNED from hosting ANY international sporting competitions, so they would not be in the mix for the foreseeable future. Their satellite feds like Armenia, etc, weren't chosen this year, but they also perhaps decided that geopolitical regional conflict makes it difficult to commit at this time without the full support from their national security partner.

I'm more than a little bemused at France once again going for the GPF, but, whatever.

Other feds have a lot of smaller, regional competitions throughout the fall and they like the size/character/prestige of a JGP rather than a GPF.

airgelaal

Russia, Canada and the USA have all hosted JGPs in past seasons.

Russia is currently BANNED from hosting ANY international sporting competitions, so they would not be in the mix for the foreseeable future. Their satellite feds like Armenia, etc, weren't chosen this year, but they also perhaps decided that geopolitical regional conflict makes it difficult to commit at this time without the full support from their national security partner.

I'm more than a little bemused at France once again going for the GPF, but, whatever.

Other feds have a lot of smaller, regional competitions throughout the fall and they like the size/character/prestige of a JGP rather than a GPF.
russia held JGP for the first time in 2016. And then again in 2021. And if I remember correctly, they only held one international competition, in addition to the GP and championships. Even before 2016, this was explained by the fact that there was no desire to hold such competitions, since it was more profitable to hold local competitions.

Andrea82

russia held JGP for the first time in 2016. And then again in 2021. And if I remember correctly, they only held one international competition, in addition to the GP and championships. Even before 2016, this was explained by the fact that there was no desire to hold such competitions, since it was more profitable to hold local competitions.

The 2015 Mordovian Ornament!

Karen-W

Sylvia

TBD
Also posted yesterday & being discussed in this GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...2024-2025-and-2026.109977/page-6#post-6594417

ETA from April 21:
I just noticed on the ISU website that the first event is now TBA France
ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Aug 21 - Aug 24, 2024 TBA /FRA - ISU event page for JGP #1:
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11
@cholla please let us know if/when you her anything, thanks!

Last edited:

Capt. DeSoto

Karen-W

When do the assignments come out?
Assignments are usually due 3 weeks before the event. The General Announcement for the JGP isn't even up on the ISU's JGP landing page yet so I don't think we even know which countries are assigned to which events yet. Hopefully the ISU will get on that this week - and also start uploading the first event announcements too (for all events - there isn't even one up on their website for Lake Placid yet).

Yyzskater

Assignments are usually due 3 weeks before the event. The General Announcement for the JGP isn't even up on the ISU's JGP landing page yet so I don't think we even know which countries are assigned to which events yet. Hopefully the ISU will get on that this week - and also start uploading the first event announcements too (for all events - there isn't even one up on their website for Lake Placid yet).
For unused spots, is there a limit to how many spots another country can pick up? For example, can a country from group B (1 spot in 7 events) pick up another 7 spots because a country from group A (2 spots in 7 events) can only use some of their spots due to lack of skaters.

And when ISU distributes the unused spots, how are they offered to the countries? Do they offer the maximum spots allowed to Group B before offering to Group C (1 spot in 7 events). Or do they offer one to each country and then go back to the top of the list again?

Sorry if this is confusing. I had a hard time figuring out how to word the questions 😅😬

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
For unused spots, is there a limit to how many spots another country can pick up? For example, can a country from group B (1 spot in 7 events) pick up another 7 spots because a country from group A (2 spots in 7 events) can only use some of their spots due to lack of skaters.

And when ISU distributes the unused spots, how are they offered to the countries? Do they offer the maximum spots allowed to Group B before offering to Group C (1 spot in 7 events). Or do they offer one to each country and then go back to the top of the list again?

Sorry if this is confusing. I had a hard time figuring out how to word the questions 😅😬

Here's how it's worked in the past. Countries earn their number of spots at junior worlds. Then the ISU assigns which events the country will have spots in; these assignments are announced in the JGP announcement (which isn't publicly available yet for this season). Countries can decide whether or not to accept those assignments. For example, sometimes Euro countries give back a spot when the event is hosted in Asia/North America. The countries should notify the ISU if they will use all their spots or which spots they are giving back. Countries in Group A (1st-3rd best countries at Jr. Worlds), B (4th-6th best countries at Jr worlds) and C (7th-10th best countries at Jr worlds) are the spots that are eligible for redistribution. Then once the ISU receives back spots, they offer the spots to countries in Group B in their rank order.

Here's the rule from last year's announcement:

Additional Entries
For Men and Women, if any ISU Member mentioned under a) to c) does not use its right to enter Skaters in
the competition concerned, this entry will be given to the first ISU Member, mentioned under b) for an additional
entry.
If another ISU Member mentioned under a) to c) does not use its right to enter Skaters in the competition
concerned, this entry will be given to the second ISU Member mentioned under b). If all ISU Members under
b) receive the right of a second entry, all further places not used will not be considered for replacement. The
order of priority as listed has to be observed.

They do not offer extra spots to Group C ever. Nor to Group A (but they're already maxed out).

In practice, how this works is that the 4th-best country gets first dibs on all returning assignments. So if at JGP#1, 2 spots are given back, then 4th-best country gets one and 5th-best country gets one. If at JGP#2, only one spots is returned, then the 4th-best country gets that one.

Note: Dance works the same way as singles. Spots are not reallocated in pairs.

Karen-W

Group B are the only ones who are offered unused spots. Group A, B and C can notify the ISU if they don't plan on using all their spots and those spots will then be reallocated.

For this coming season, this is how the Groupings for Men, Women & Ice Dance break down -
*Host feds may enter up to 3 skaters in their own event

Men -
Group A (2 spots in all 7 events) - KOR, JPN, SVK
Group B (1 spot in all 7 events) - FRA, EST, CAN
Group C (1 spot in 6 events) - GBR, USA, POL*, NZL
Group D (1 spot in 5 events) - SWE, TPE, ITA, ISR, GEO, HUN, FIN, UKR, BEL
Group E (1 spot in 4 events) - LAT*, LTU, TUR*, SUI, GER
Group F (1 spot in 3 events) - KAZ, MAS, NOR, SLO*, BUL, ARM, ESP, HKG
Group G (1 spot in 2 events) - all other countries

Women -
Group A (2 spots in all 7 events) - JPN, KOR, FIN
Group B (1 spot in all 7 events) - SUI, ITA, USA
Group C (1 spot in 6 events) - FRA, CAN, EST, GEO
Group D (1 spot in 5 events) - THA*, CZE*, HUN, CAN, ISR, TPE, POL*
Group E (1 spot in 4 events) - GER, AUS, SWE, SLO*, SVK, KGZ
Group F (1 spot in 3 events) - AUT, LAT*, NED, KAZ, BUL, CRO, UKR, RSA, LTU, HKG, AZE, TUR*, NOR, MEX, PHI, GBR

Ice Dance -
Group A (2 spots in all 7 events) - USA, ISR, GER
Group B (1 spot in all 7 events) - FRA, CAN, ITA
Group C (1 spot in 6 events) - CYP, JPN, GBR, SUI
Group D (1 spot in 5 events) - UKR, KOR, BEL, POL*, CZE*
Group E (1 spot in 4 events) - ARM, GEO, FIN, TUR*
Group F (1 spot in 3 events) - AUT, ESP, BRA, EST

Pairs - there are no additional spots allocated
*No limit on the # of pairs teams for host countries (LAT, CZE, TUR & POL)
Group A (3 spots in all 4 events) - GEO, USA, ITA, CAN
Group B (2 spots in all 4 events) - UKR, CZE*, FRA, ISR, HUN, SVK, JPN, GER
Group C (1 spot in all 4 events) - GBR, ESP
Group D (1 spot in 3 events) - all other countries

Karen-W

So the only way for the USA to get more spots for men's is for FRA, EST, CAN, and GBR to all decline openings? Which based on the strength of their collective rosters (last year for reference), just isn't going to happen for USA?
There is NO way for the USA to gain additional spots in Men as relinquished spots are ONLY allocated to countries in Group B.

There is a slight chance the USA will gain 1 additional spot in women. Georgia probably will not use all of their spots so the USA may pick up 1 additional spot but only if Georgia declines at least 3 spots. I do not expect any other countries in Groups A, B & C to surrender spots.

Capt. DeSoto

There is NO way for the USA to gain additional spots in Men as relinquished spots are ONLY allocated to countries in Group B.
Oh, I figured it moved onto Group C afterwards, but that has just never happened before. But that's not how it goes? If Group B declines they just stop the reallocation effort? So it's not the 0.01% chance I thought, it's literally 0%. Oh well. Thanks.

Yyzskater

Oh, I figured it moved onto Group C afterwards, but that has just never happened before. But that's not how it goes? If Group B declines they just stop the reallocation effort? So it's not the 0.01% chance I thought, it's literally 0%. Oh well. Thanks.
And could a Group B country technically get as many spots as if they were in Group A (14) ? Like in ice dance this year, I don't know how many teams Germany and Israel has. But they have 28 spots between them. Would all the excess go to France, Canada and Italy, and in that order?

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
And could a Group B country technically get as many spots as if they were in Group A (14) ?

Yes
Like in ice dance this year, I don't know how many teams Germany and Israel has. But they have 28 spots between them. Would all the excess go to France, Canada and Italy, and in that order?
Yes

ETA: The U.S. was in group B in dance last season and ended up using 13 spots (and IIRC, they chose not to use the 14th).

Last edited:

Karen-W

No, it's actually in the JGP General Announcement that outlines the reallocation procedures. Group B are the only ones eligible.

And, to be perfectly honest, even if Group C was offered a chance to pick up an additional spot after all of Group B was reallocated spots, I doubt the USA would pick one up.

KOR and JPN will use all of their spots. SVK has at least 3 junior-eligible men - so, let's operate under the assumption they will relinquish 8 spots - for sure the 2 spots each at Thailand, China & Turkey, then 1 at Latvia and 1 at Poland. Those 8 spots will probably re-allocated as follows:

JGP Latvia - FRA
JGP Czechia - none
JGP Thailand - CAN & FRA
JGP Turkey - CAN & FRA
JGP Poland - CAN
JGP Slovenia - none
JGP China - FRA & CAN

Now, onto Group B's spots - Estonia has at least 3 junior-eligible men (not including Levandi who may opt to stay fully senior), but probably no more than that, so let's presume they only need 6 spots and they relinquish 1 and tell the ISU they don't need any additional in the reallocation process. It is possible that FRA or CAN could pick up an extra spot if Estonia relinquishes a spot at Latvia (not likely since that's their backyard), Czechia, Poland (again, pretty much their backyard) or Slovenia but why would Estonia give up a JGP spot at a closer, cheaper European event and send a skater to China or Thailand instead? They won't. So, no chance for FRA or CAN at picking up a 2nd spot.

Then, there is Group C - GBR, USA, POL & NZL - we know the USA won't give up any spots. Great Britain and Poland each have at least 5 junior age-eligible men so they, like the USA will NOT be giving up any spots. That leaves New Zealand. Obviously, they'll use 2 of their spots for Yanhao Li. Theoretically, they could use the other 4 spots they have since they do have other junior men - but given none of the other 3 jr men at their Nationals last fall cracked 100 for their overall score, let's operate under the assumption that the fed says "Nahhhhhh... We're not using any of those 4 spots". Those 4 spots would then be re-allocated to FRA and CAN. We can pretend that it works out nicely that they were originally slotted for Latvia, Czechia, Poland and Slovenia.

JGP Latvia - CAN
JGP Czechia - FRA
JGP Poland - FRA
JGP Slovenia - CAN

In the most perfect of worlds, France and Canada will PROBABLY pick up 5 or 6 additional spots - and they will use them.

This has been fun, btw, so I think I'll try to figure out the reallocation possibilities for the Women and Ice Dance next.

Karen-W

The U.S. was in group B in dance last season and ended up using 13 spots (and IIRC, they chose not to use the 14th).
That wasn't by design. The USFS assigned Hauer/Starr to JGP #1 but they WD too close to the event for the USFS to select a replacement team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information