ISU 2021-22 Junior Grand Prix announcement

Vagabond

As a Canadian, I apologize for my government dragging its feet in reopening. It's almost embarrassing that France had to take on one of our events.
I think it's okay. France will manage somehow. And possibly find some additional entries for its new additional host spots!

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
This seems to be a rather drastic knee-jerk measure. After all,things are back to normal south of the border.

-BB

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Don't apologise. Your country is being responsible in the middle of a crisis that is nowhere near over. That's more important than any sports competition in the world.
Frankly, they never should have offered to host one last fall/winter when the ISU was discussing hosts for this coming season's JGP. Of all the countries that were announced, Canada was the one that I expected would cancel because of their strict lockdowns and travel restrictions. I'm a bit surprised this didn't happen a month or two ago.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I'm not that optimistic about the French JGPs going ahead sadly.
If they were happening in July, I'd put money on them happening.

However, seeing what is happening with the Delta variant in Russia and the UK and the speed it has taken hold, it is obvious that it is only a matter of time before France too is overrun with the Delta variant. On Tuesday, the proportion of tests being the Delta variant was France 6.9% , Russia 99%, and the UK 89%.

So, I'm predicting that by late August/September, France will be back in some kind of YKW restrictions.
The Delta Plus variant will also be a factor by then, and early indications are that the AZ vaccine is not effective against this variant 😩

mjb52

If you have 100 positive tests, and 99 are the Delta variant, 99% of tests will be the Delta variant. If you have 100,000 positive tests and 99,999 are the Delta variant, 99% will be the Delta variant. There will always be some variant that makes up the highest proportion of tests. It doesn't strike me as a very meaningful stat. Before the "Delta" variant, some other variant made up the majority of tests. After the Delta variant, there will most likely be another.

Last edited:

sandra_persch

I'm not that optimistic about the French JGPs going ahead sadly.
If they were happening in July, I'd put money on them happening.
lets see how things go. fortunately the vaccination rates in Europe are going up by the day with more and more people getting Pfizer / Moderna and people Astrajunk.

What I am wondering is if the ISU will now allow some sort of trading of spots or offering up unsued spots federations initially not assigned spots in Canada.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
If you have 100 positive tests, and 99 are the Delta variant, 99% of tests will be the Delta variant. If you have 100,000 positive tests and 99,999 are the Delta variant, 99% will be the Delta variant. There will always be some variant that makes up the highest proportion of tests. It doesn't strike me as a very meaningful stat. Before the "Delta" variant, some other variant made up the majority of tests. After the Delta variant, there will most likely be another.
The reason the stats are significant is that they show the rate at which this variant has spread. In a matter of weeks it has become the dominant variant in the UK and Russia. This is bad news as it is much more infectious than the variants it is replacing, which can be seen by the rapidly increasing numbers of new cases in the UK and Russia where is it dominant.
So from this we can conclude that when the Delta variant becomes the dominant strain in France, the number of new cases will also rise dramatically.

seabm7

Japan Skating Federation gave up the first 3 JGP competitions.

Dobre

I think it's good that Canada decided early enough that the ISU could adjust. I think we can all understand that vaccination schedules and the impact of variants are moving targets. Skating being a fall & winter sport, we may still run into badly-timed surges or cancellations; but we're in a better place than could have been initially anticipated for the JGP, as at least some vaccinations for 12 & up have been approved in early summer. Many countries & individuals are not there yet, but it's a better scenario than we were in last summer.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
As a Canadian, I apologize for my government dragging its feet in reopening. It's almost embarrassing that France had to take on one of our events.

I think it's a shame for figure skaters and figure skating fans but I have more sympathy for those living in Canada who have endured lockdown, after lockdown, after lockdown to the point they don't ever know if they are in or out. I have seen the mental toll it has taken on family and friends. They are finally getting somewhere with their vaccination program and if the federal government wants to use the next two months to control the borders to make huge strides in fully vaccinating everyone then I am all for it. So when I weigh a JGP event against all my family and friends in Canada I am fine with this move.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So from this we can conclude that when the Delta variant becomes the dominant strain in France, the number of new cases will also rise dramatically.
Only if you don't factor in the vaccination rate. If 70% of the population is vaccinated and 10-20% have natural immunity, that only leaves 10-20% who can even get CoVd. Even if there is a varient that natural immunity works for, that's still only 30% of the population that is vulnerable.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
30% of a vulnerable population, especially one that has been vaccinated with AZ, which has lower efficacy against the Delta variant, can still overwhelm hospitals, especially if there are concentrations of people who have not been vaccinated.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
30% of a vulnerable population, especially one that has been vaccinated with AZ, which has lower efficacy against the Delta variant, can still overwhelm hospitals, especially if there are concentrations of people who have not been vaccinated.
The data is showing that both breakthrough infections and hospitalizations is under 1%. That is not enough to overwhelm anything.

The people in hospitals now and who are dying now are 99% the unvaccinated. At least in the US.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
The data is showing that both breakthrough infections and hospitalizations is under 1%. That is not enough to overwhelm anything.

The people in hospitals now and who are dying now are 99% the unvaccinated. At least in the US.

To be fair, if we’re talking about AZ’s efficacy, US data is useless.

Sylvia

TBD
Announcements are published for JGP #1, #2 & #4 with preliminary event schedules included at the end of each document.

JGP Courchevel FRA #1 event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11
Announcement (entries by name due "not later than Friday, July 16, 2021 – 20:00 h local time Courchevel)": https://www.isu.org/docman-document...2-jgp-1-courchevel-fra-2021-announcement/file

JGP Courchevel FRA #2 event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11
Announcement (entries by name "not later than Friday, July 23, 2021 – 20:00 h local time Courchevel)": https://www.isu.org/docman-document...4-jgp-2-courchevel-fra-2021-announcement/file

JGP Kosice SVK event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11

JGP Krasnoyarsk RUS event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11
Announcement (entries by name due "not later than Friday, August 13, 2021 – 20:00 h local time Krasnoyarsk)": https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-jgp-4-krasnoyarsk-rus-2021-announcement/file

JGP Ljubljana SLO event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11

JGP Gdansk POL event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11

JGP Linz AUT event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11

Sylvia

TBD
Announcements are published for JGP #1, #2 & #4 with preliminary event schedules included at the end of each document.
As of today, the Announcement for JGP #3 in Košice, Slovakia has yet to be linked from the event page: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...grand-prix-of-figure-skating?templateParam=11

The remaining 3 Announcements are published online now:

JGP #5 in Slovenia - Announcement (entries by name due "not later than Friday, August 20, 2021 – 20:00 h local time Ljubljana"): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...73-jgp-5-ljubljana-slo-2021-announcement/file

JGP #6 in Poland - Announcement (entries by name due "not later than Friday, August 27, 2021 – 20:00 h local time Gdansk"): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...25980-jgp-6-gdansk-pol-2021-announcement/file

JGP #7 in Austria - Announcement (entries by name due "not later than Friday, September 03, 2021 – 20:00 h local time Linz"): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...1/25975-jgp-7-linz-aut-2021-announcement/file

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

And right off the bat...Russia 🇷🇺 roars with Sofia Samodelkina. KABOOM! 🥊 🔥 💥

Still, I expect Lindsay & Clare to hold their own. 🇺🇸 Kaiya too. 🇨🇦 Alina Urushadze of Georgia, so pleasant at Sr Worlds. 🇬🇪

No Japanese? Korea “tbd” but the country’s spots listed, unlike Japan (***** related?).

Mark Kondratouk vs Ilya Malinin for men. Whee!

Sylvia

TBD
As of July 20:

Junior Men
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Mikalai KAZLOU BLR 1
Vasil BARAKHOUSKI BLR 1 S
Alexander LEBEDEV BLR 1 S
Yauhenii PUZANAU BLR 1 S
Ilya STSIAPANKOU BLR 1 S
2 Corey CIRCELLI CAN 2
Wesley CHIU CAN 2 S
Rio MORITA CAN 2 S
3 Fang-Yi LIN TPE 3
4 Makar SUNTSEV FIN 4
5 Francois PITOT FRA 5
6 Ian VAUCLIN FRA 5
Axel AHMED FRA 5 S
Corentin SPINAR FRA 5 S
7 Davide CALDERARI GER 6
Luca FUENFER GER 6 S
Leon KRAICZYK GER 6 S
Arthur MAI GER 6 S
Louis WEISSERT GER 6 S
8 Joseph Alexander ZAKIPOUR GBR 7
Edward APPLEBY GBR 7 S
Freddie LEGGOTT GBR 7 S
9 Heung Lai ZHAO HKG 8
Chiu Hei CHEUNG HKG 8 S
10 Priyam TATED IND 9
11 Iakov POGREBINSKII ISR 10
12 Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ 11
13 Douglas GERBER NZL 12
14 KOR TBA KOR 13
15 Mark KONDRATIUK RUS 14 (JGP debut)
16 Egor RUKHIN RUS 14 (has done 3 JGPs)
Andrei ANISIMOV RUS 14 S
Vladislav DIKIDZHI RUS 14 S
Artem KOVALEV RUS 14 S
Andrei KUTOVOI RUS 14 S
Mark LUKIN RUS 14 S
Kirill SARNOVSKIY RUS 14 S
Semen SOLOVEV RUS 14 S
Nikolai UGOZHAEV RUS 14 S
Fedor ZONOV RUS 14 S
17 Pagiel Yie Ken SNG SGP 15
18 Sinali SANGO RSA 16
19 Jonathan EGYPTSON SWE 17
Casper JOHANSSON SWE 17 S
Andreas NORDEBACK SWE 17 S
Oliver PRAETORIUS SWE 17 S
20 Vadym NOVIKOV UKR 18
21 Lucas BROUSSARD USA 19
22 Ilia MALININ USA 19
William ANNIS USA 19 S
Joseph KLEIN USA 19 S
Kai KOVAR USA 19 S
Daniel MARTYNOV USA 19 S
Matthew NIELSEN USA 19 S
Jacob SANCHEZ USA 19 S
Maxim ZHARKOV USA 19 S

Junior Women
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Sophia Natalie DAYAN ARG 1
2 Agata STARYKAVA BLR 2
Anastasiya BALYKINA BLR 2 S
Varvara KISEL BLR 2 S
Aliaksandra MALASHKA BLR 2 S
Milana RAMASHOVA BLR 2 S
Nastassia SIDARENKA BLR 2 S
3 Maria LEVUSHKINA BUL 3
Ivelina BAYCHEVA BUL 3 S
Chiara HRISTOVA BUL 3 S
Maria MANOVA BUL 3 S
4 Kaiya RUITER CAN 4
Catherine CARLE CAN 4 S
Sara-Maude DUPUIS CAN 4 S
5 Tsai-En CHIANG TPE 5
6 Catharina Victoria PETERSEN DEN 6
Amalie BORUP CHRISTENSEN DEN 6 S
Anna-Flora Colmor JEPSEN DEN 6 S
7 Janna JYRKINEN FIN 7
Rosa REPONEN FIN 7 S
8 Eve DUBECQ FRA 8
9 Lola GHOZALI FRA 8
10 Alina URUSHADZE GEO 9
11 Carmen WOLF GER 10
Hannah DEMPFLE GER 10 S
Marielen HIRLING GER 10 S
Dora HUS GER 10 S
Olesya RAY GER 10 S
Anastasia STEBLYANKA GER 10 S
Nargiz SULEYMANOVA GER 10 S
12 Arabella SEAR-WATKINS GBR 11
Elena KOMOVA GBR 11 S
13 Cheuk Ka Kahlen CHEUNG HKG 12
Hiu Yau CHOW HKG 12 S
14 Lili KRIZSANOVSZKI HUN 13
Regina SCHERMANN HUN 13 S
Cintia SZABO HUN 13 S
Bernadett SZIGETI HUN 13 S
Katinka Anna ZSEMBERY HUN 13 S
Daria ZSIRNOV HUN 13 S
15 Julia Ros VIDARSDOTTIR ISL 14
Aldis Kara BERGSDOTTIR ISL 14 S
Julia Sylvia GUNNARSDOTTIR ISL 14 S
16 Sai Samhitha AKULA IND 15
17 Ivetta BERKOVICH ISR 16
18 Abigail LIEW MAS 17
19 Regina GARCIA DE LEON SAAB MEX 18
20 Sorami TANAKA PER 19
21 Skye Frances PATENIA PHI 20
22 Noelle STREULI POL 21
23 KOR TBA 1 KOR 22 (JGP selection comp. is scheduled for end of July)
24 KOR TBA 2 KOR 22
25 Sofia SAMODELKINA RUS 23 (delayed JGP debut)
26 Mariia ZAKHAROVA RUS 23 (JGP debut; Anna Tsareva's daughter as noted above)
Elizaveta BERESTOVSKAIA RUS 23 S
Anna FROLOVA RUS 23 S
Alina GORBACHEVA RUS 23 S
Elizaveta KULIKOVA RUS 23 S
Sofia MURAVIEVA RUS 23 S
Uliana SHIRYAEVA RUS 23 S
Veronika ZHILINA RUS 23 S
Anastasia ZININA RUS 23 S
27 Cheryl Wen Wei WEE SGP 24
28 Anastasiia FOMCHENKOVA UKR 25
29 Clare SEO USA 26
30 Lindsay THORNGREN USA 26
Elsa CHENG USA 26 S
Mia KALIN USA 26 S
Josephine LEE USA 26 S
Isabeau LEVITO USA 26 S
Maryn PIERCE USA 26 S
Kanon SMITH USA 26 S
Ava Marie ZIEGLER USA 26 S

Junior Ice Dance
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Miku MAKITA / Tyler GUNARA CAN 1
2 Hailey YU / Brendan GIANG CAN 1
Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL CAN 1 S
Chloe NGUYEN / Alec ROUECHE CAN 1 S
3 Katerina MRAZKOVA / Daniel MRAZEK CZE 2
Denisa CIMLOVA / Vilem HLAVSA CZE 2 S
Barbora ZELENA / Jachym NOVAK CZE 2 S
4 Maya BENKIEWICZ / Nicolas HENAULT FRA 3
5 Louise BORDET / Thomas GIPOULOU FRA 3
6 Celina FRADJI / Jean-Hans FOURNEAUX FRA 3
Eva BERNARD / Tom JOCHUM FRA 3 S
Lou KOCH / Ivan MELNYK FRA 3 S
Lucie LAURIA / Antonin EMO FRA 3 S
7 Darya GRIMM / Michail SAVITSKIY GER 4
Lea ENDERLEIN / Malte BRANDT GER 4 S
Karla Maria KARL / Kai HOFERICHTER GER 4 S
Milla Ruud REITAN / Nikita REMESHEVSKIY GER 4 S
Lilia SCHUBERT / Kieren WAGNER GER 4 S
8 Vasilisa AHRAMENKA / Alessio SURENKOV-GULTCHEV GBR 5
Sophia BUSHELL / Alex LAPSKY GBR 5 S
9 KOR TBA / KOR TBA KOR 6 [could be Hannah Lim & Ye Quan ?]
10 Vasilisa KAGANOVSKAIA / Valeriy ANGELOPOL RUS 7 (JGP debut)
11 Margarita SVISTUNOVA / Dmitrii STUDENIKIN RUS 7 (JGP debut)
Sofiia KACHUSHKINA / Oleg MURATOV RUS 7 S
Irina KHAVRONINA / Dario CIRISANO RUS 7 S
Sofia LEONTEVA / Daniil GORELKIN RUS 7 S
Olga MAMCHENKOVA / Mark VOLKOV RUS 7 S
Alisa OVSIANKINA / Matvei SAMOKHIN RUS 7 S
Ekaterina REBAKOVA / Ivan MAKHNONOSOV RUS 7 S
Anna RUMAK / Gleb GONCHAROV RUS 7 S
Elizaveta SHICHINA / Gordey KHUBULOV RUS 7 S
Sofya TYUTYUNINA / Alexander SHUSTITSKIY RUS 7 S
12 Lika BONDAR / Artem KOVAL UKR 8
13 Katarina WOLFKOSTIN / Jeffrey CHEN USA 9
Oona BROWN / Gage BROWN USA 9 S