Hawayek/ Baker Cheer Thread

Jammers

The coaches for H/B need to let this team do other kind of style of programs and not get stuck in one style. H/B have lots of personality now let them show it.

Sylvia

TBD
Really loved their FD at Skate America. Could see where they have room to improve but this a great program and I can see it being fantastic by nationals. I totally got the concept, too, they did a great job with the choreo and the performance of portraying Stephen and Jane with the progression of their life together. Jean Luc did an amazing performance, his expression was wonderful. They have progressed as a team and I feel their connection is definitely stronger.
The Theory Of Everything FD (British Eurosport) at Skate America: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwBScqU17Bk

caitie

The coaches for H/B need to let this team do other kind of style of programs and not get stuck in one style. H/B have lots of personality now let them show it.

It seems like the free dance was their idea. Kaitlin watched the movie and played the music for Jean-Luc.

I do think that while this style obviously serves them well (and I don't think it's devoid of personality) that, strategically, they should have mixed it up this season. It's fine to have a wheelhouse, but they don't want people to think this is all they can do.

belladashwood

Actually, this year's FD style is Contemporary (as seen in this section of their FD starting at 2:09-2:22 here: https://youtu.be/3d6i-CeuwGY?t=2m9s), also in an article from a few weeks ago Jean-Luc specifically stated that the style for this FD is Contemporary with lots of contraction and release and holds that are found in this style (http://www.twofortheice.com/together-hawayek-and-baker-shaping-their-vision/). Their R&J FD from last season was in the same Lyrical style as their Amelie FD that won them the World Junior title, both of those programs were very free-flowing with each of their movements blending one right into the next.

Here's an article that spells out some of the differences between Contemporary and Lyrical dance: http://www.wetpaint.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance-101-contemporary-vs-lyrical-634171/

It seems like the free dance was their idea. Kaitlin watched the movie and played the music for Jean-Luc.

I do think that while this style obviously serves them well (and I don't think it's devoid of personality) that, strategically, they should have mixed it up this season. It's fine to have a wheelhouse, but they don't want people to think this is all they can do.

I do think Kaitlin and Jean-Luc need to stick to their strengths as they work their way up the senior ranks, but their FD for this season isn't quite as similar to their last two FD's as I indicated above. I really do think this Theory of Everything FD for them is a step up in their storytelling, conveying emotion & showing their maturity, the story they portray of Stephen and Jane Hawking is a heartbreaking one, I just can't wait to see how this FD develops throughout the rest of the season, getting better and better with each competition with Kaitlin and Jean-Luc hopefully making that world team.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Even if The Theory of Everything is technically Contemporary, to me it has a similar look & feel to last year's FD. I do agree that H/B's storytelling is improved and different in this FD. But the basic style is not a real departure. The dress also has the effect of making Kaitlyn look kind of young, to me anyway. It's a nice program; it didn't sweep me away at all at Skate America, though. But Florentina Tone was moved to tears and gave it a glowing review on her blog Inside Skating: http://www.insideskating.net/2015/1...-firsts-and-a-bonus-prize-from-inside-skating.

dancedreamer

SD from Cup of China: Russian version and British version

58.35, 2 points up from Skate America. Jean-Luc said in the kiss n cry 'going up, a step in the right direction'. 4th after the short, but behind some big senior teams (C/L, C/B and I/Z)

Poor Kaitlin didn't look too great after the program, looked like she was about to pass out and seemed very upset. She apologised to Pasquale as soon as she got off the ice, not entirely sure why, she didn't do anything wrong as far as I could see. Jean-Luc said in the KnC '3 hours sleep and not looking too hot, so proud of you'. He was very sweet and encouraging the whole time, trying to make her smile. They're a great partnership. Not sure what's up, she may have come down with something. In any case, here's hoping she gets some rest and feels better for the free!

Score sheet is here if anyone's interested

dancedreamer

Sorry to double post, just an update -

Kaitlin has food poisoning and they decided to withdraw from the free because of it. You could see it in her face, she just couldn't skate like that. They warmed up sections of the free, tried to push through it but she really wasn't well at all. Took some time talking to Pasquale and Jean-Luc before they started, I think they were trying to convince her it was okay to withdraw, she was obviously dead set on competing. Skated over to the judges and Jean-Luc did all the talking, she looked very very upset, holding back tears it looked like as they presented to the audience after they withdrew.

Wishing her all the best and hoping she gets some rest and feels better soon. <3

lauravvv

Hawayek/Baker are assigned to the ISU Challenger, Tallinn Trophy in Estonia, Nov. 18-22.
Good. It means they will have one more competition before Nationals. I was slightly worried about that when they had to withdraw from the Cup of China FD.

jiejie

The USFS International Assignments page has them withdrawn as of 11/12. I hope that Kaitlyn's food poisoning wasn't something worse and more long lasting. :( Possibly they just felt that getting back on a plane to Europe 7-9 days after returning from China would just take too much physically out of an already-weakened skater, and I'd surmise they wouldn't be able to jump right back into full-on training in that short time period back in the USA. I think a smart decision by Team H/B. Guess their next competition is US Nationals, and look forward to seeing them there.

centerpt1

A shame they had to withdraw. They just haven't been able to get any traction going this season. I really thought (and had hoped) that this would be a break out year for them.

lauravvv

Guess their next competition is US Nationals, and look forward to seeing them there.
I think at this point we can just hope that they have good Nationals performances and get really positive experiences out of it like they did last season. Getting into the US Worlds team would be a really huge task now. I also hope that they are able to get those positive experiences and enjoy Nationals even if they don't get onto the team like they had hoped. Also, even though I wanted to see something different in style from them, I would not mind if they kept the FD for the next season in hopes of showing it at more competitions in improved form.

A shame they had to withdraw. They just haven't been able to get any traction going this season. I really thought (and had hoped) that this would be a break out year for them.
I think it's too soon to worry. Those are really rare exceptions when very young ice dance teams just barely out of juniors have huge success, especially if their country already has several established teams with really good results. Virtue/Moir had an early success very much thanks to the fact that Dubreuil/Lauzon had already left competitive skating and Canada didn't have other teams at that level at the time. When Shibutanis won the world bronze, Davis/White were the only American high level team out there, the rest were quite a bit behind them, so someone had to break out + it was very much a matter of luck because of how some top teams from other countries performed at Worlds, and because some other teams that had already been there for some time needed more time to improve and come to that level where they could pass Shibutanis (Weaver/Poje, Cappellini/Lanotte). Davis/White themselves were an exception - when they had their first senior successes, they had a better coaching situation and better packaging than Belbin/Agosto, and they just were technically very good. Ilinykh/Katsalapov came out of juniors when Russia didn't have many very good teams either, just Bobrova/Soloviev as the number one team. Papadakis/Cizeron were very much helped not just by their great FD and how good they were, but also by Pechalat/Bourzat leaving competitive skating. So Hawayek/Baker have hope for the future yet - maybe after the next Olympics, not before.

TSFRENCHFAN

Thank you so sorry I missed it and only saw it now!
Congratulations to Kaitlin & Jean-Luc on winning the Professional Skaters Association's Best Performance award in dance at 2015 Nationals! :)

GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...psa-best-performance-edi-award-winners.95101/

ETA:

I think these post-Nationals skate videos on IN are viewable by non-subscribers?
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/?content_id=37168325
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v37173133/

Laura4

From Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc's website:

We are extremely excited to announce that for our Short Dance this season we will be skating to a blues and hip-hop style mash-up of “Feeling Good” by Michael Buble and “How I Feel” by Flo Rida.

Jammers

H/B need to have a good season this year since they got a bit of a break with the Parsons and M/C going back to Juniors yet again. They need to establish themselves this season because next year both of those teams will age out of Juniors and be looking to challenge H/B for that 4th spot in the US Ice Dance hierarchy and beyond post 2018.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information