Hawayek/Baker have withdrawn from 2023 Worlds

Debbie S

So it seems that there are issues for Jean Luc as well.
I know that all of their statements have said that, but it’s interesting to hear that this was truly a team issue and not just a Kaitlyn issue.
I wouldn't read that much into it. Anything that affects one partner is going to affect the team as a whole. Jean-Luc's use of "we" and team language acknowledges that they have experienced challenges and made decisions together, which is what you would expect of a dance team, particularly one that has been together as long as H/B.

It is great to see Jean-Luc being so supportive and recognizing their need to both be healthy in order to move forward as a team.

leilaofpaper

I’m so very glad they’re stepping out - especially given the mention of post concussive symptoms. I have a friend who had a bad concussion at work and the workplace made her keep working as usual - she now has chronic migraines, seizures, fatigue, and sometimes has to use a wheelchair as parts of her body will shut down in response to those migraines.

I don’t think Kaitlin’s is that serious but you have to be extremely careful with these things, especially with the brain.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
And knowing how difficult it has been for Kaitlin with depression and anxiety - the incredibly mean and evil comment made by that "fan" about weight makes me even more angry.

I doubt the "fan" even recognizes how evil she/he is.

Kaitlin please heal, I want to see you and Jean-Luc in future competitions.

airgelaal

It's sad, but I'm glad they put health first.
I'm tired of hearing the phrase: you are an athlete, you must endure. If an athlete who is used to enduring says that he can’t take it anymore, then he needs to stop. You can't buy health for medals

DreamSkates

So it seems that there are issues for Jean Luc as well.
I know that all of their statements have said that, but it’s interesting to hear that this was truly a team issue and not just a Kaitlyn issue.
I can only read about the pressures of elite competition, how it takes a toll on one’s body, and how so many voices shouting their opinions must take a toll on the soul.
Best wishes for good health for both of them and I hope we see them in the future.

puglover

I applaud both of these beautiful skaters. I recall leading up to the 2010 Olympics when Tessa Virtue was suffering through her injury the current thinking was to hide any issues and keep it really quiet as showing vulnerability could impact their standing with the judges. I sure hope we are seeing evidence that skaters feel able to speak openly and honestly now. I also applaud fellow competitors who train together who probably know something is up but keep quiet. I always really respected that about Meryl and Charlie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information