FSU Watch Party Saturday #2: 2006 Olympics OD [12:30pm CDT/6:30pm CET]

Dobre

Who would have ever thought that Babs would go on to be about the warmest, most supportive coach ever?

She used to bop people on the head circa 2014 or so;).

But seriously, I like her too. I liked Fusar-Poli & Margaglio as a team also. She embraces Tarasova's over-the-top enthusiasm.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Talk about wedding dresses -- 2010 dance just came up on YouTube when I let it keep playing, and Allison Reed is wearing a full-on veil. :lol:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I could swear Christina Carreira have used the same dress Tanith wore at Torino in the OD

I loved the musical mix from Tanith/Ben btw, Let's Get Loud! and the 'La vuelta' song in the middle become a fave of me since then.

Poor Maurizio I think he still suffers from the death stare, I think he has more fear to that than to the virus of today

Last edited:

Dobre

Thank you, @alchemy void! That was great! Best moment of my last week.

It's so fun to go back and see the future top teams when they were starting out. You always forget who was there, and so often we would never get coverage of the dance teams until they were already on the podium.

Finnice

Sorry so late to the party, watched Den/Stas and Dub/Lau after.
This is really a competition I still hate.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
If we want ice dance to be slutty, we need the judges to reward another coaching center. We won't be getting it from Gadbois.
It's not just the "sluttiness", but after 2010 the skaters all got polite. The only :drama: was with fans fighting over which team was more pure than the other. Chock stealing Bates was about the biggest :skandal: of all and that was pretty tame. :lol:

VGThuy

It's not just the "sluttiness", but after 2010 the skaters all got polite. The only :drama: was with fans fighting over which team was more pure than the other. Chock stealing Bates was about the biggest :skandal: of all and that was pretty tame. :lol:

So true. The biggest diva we had was Scott Moir.

Kateri

void beast
The early 2000s were really the peak drama years. I had forgotten there was an ACTUAL PETITION against C/S's medal, run by the skaters, no less! I still feel bad for C/S.

VGThuy

Sorry for double posting, but also I think there was drama but it became more passive aggressive matching the nationalities of the dominant teams. You know there was drama among the top 3 American teams going into 2018 but they were all too aware of their public personas to air it except Zach let some out. I had some observations at the time.

Finnice

I asked about that in an interview. He said that he could feel the earth moving, they were in a void, in their special place. Something like nothing else existed.
I checked. They had so much energy going on, and they could feel the energy of millions of people watching.
He spoke only good things about Barbara in that interview, it made me respect him a lot.

VGThuy

Do you guys think the change in the judging system had a lot to do with the lack of divatude? Back then you could sort of politick yourself higher by bitching and saying so and so sucked since nobody really knew how the judges were coming up with the results (which probably made the skaters more frustrated and neurotic so it brought out the worst in them), but now that the scoring got “fairer”, people will now think you’re sort of stupid if you complained while failing to hit your levels.

Kateri

void beast
Do you guys think the change in the judging system had a lot to do with the lack of divatude? Back then you could sort of politick yourself higher by bitching and saying so and so sucked since nobody really knew how the judges were coming up with the results (which probably made the skaters more frustrated and neurotic so it brought out the worst in them), but now that the scoring got “fairer”, people will now think you’re sort of stupid if you complained while failing to hit your levels.
I think that aspect is definitely better now. I don't want people at each other's throats, I just want more OTT drama ON the ice!

Dobre

I still think we have divas. I think if you ask yourself who the diva of the team is, you can almost always answer that question in about two seconds. I just think a bunch of the high-profile ones right now are men.

As far as staring at your partner like you're going to kill him, well, that only worked for Barbara because it was their last competition;).

barbarafan

Dubreil/Lauzon

Back when they did not rule the ice dance world

-lovely matching legline
-nice held lift position
-not the most Latin interpretation, but they did succeed in setting a mood before that final lift
-he drops her on the lift and falls, too, sad ending
He did not drop her...In the lift she grips his arm while he supports her legs. She lost her grip and gravity did the rest.

Cayuse

Thank you @alchemy void for putting these great competitions from the past together! Such a fun change from reading all the virus updates. I didn't watch in real time with the group, so stopped to read the commentary after every two or three skaters. Most of you made me smile! Incredible how many from this group are still in the skating world today - coaching, commentating or choreographing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information