Friday watch party: 2010 Olympics OD

barbarafan

This was back in the day when I still loved V/M. But then they started having too many First Love FDs. And then I developed an irrational dislike for Scott. And then they made a comeback (which I hate in general) and that was the last straw. :p
Your loss ;)

VGThuy

Anybody know what's up with Linichuk? Still coaching in NA?

I don’t know, but I’m loving her instagram. She’s posting all these tributes to her former pupils and they’re all responding with such love for her. Even the ones that left her for another coach with some acrimony like Oksana Grishuk.

MsZem

I see the sea
I do think there's an interesting discussion to be had about what makes a program cross the line. I personally didn't mind I/K's SL program mentioned above for example although I probably wouldn't watch it again (I in general wouldn't watch a SL program today, good or bad, but that's my own personal thing and I don't mind that they're done at all). I hope the tech committee is ready to talk about this before the folk dances get choreographed.
I think turning the Holocaust into a spectacle is in even worse taste than what DomShabs did.

VGThuy

For B/A, I take solace in the fact that In an interview with TSL (I know...) they said they skated those programs the best in Vancouver and have no bitter memories of it. They said it took them many years to finally watch V/M and when they did they understood why they lost. That’s what you call self-awareness, healthy attitude, and sportsmanship. Better than Nathalie Pechelat calling Federica Faiella a fat cow or whatever when she and Fabian lost the bronze to her and Massimo a month later at Worlds.

Skate Talker

For B/A, I take solace in the fact that In an interview with TSL (I know...) they said they skated those programs the best in Vancouver and have no bitter memories of it. They said it took them many years to finally watch V/M and when they did they understood why they lost. That’s what you call self-awareness, healthy attitude, and sportsmanship...
Tanith is such a professional. Unlike the Canadian commentators, she even defended Tessa and Scott against those who said they only won in S. Korea because they skated last. She said they deserved to win.

gkelly

The Scottish OD is one of the best ever. This is ok.

My sister called while I was watching so I told her what I was doing and continued watching while talking to her.

The subject of the Kerrs' Scottish OD came up during the conversation, so I sent her a link. Her response was "That was great!"

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
@misskarne not awake for now :watch:

misskarne forgot to set her alarm...I am shamed. :shuffle:

Oh and the blankets! See, it's okay, someone gave us BLANKETS. We have an indigenous friend, okay!

I think that was one of the most infuriating things about it (although there was a lot of infuriating things). "Hey, look, we met some Canadian Indigenous folks, so everything's okay now! Go sit back in your corner, little Australia, and let the big countries handle this."

No apology or meeting was ever arranged with Australian Indigenous representatives; no acknowledgement that it was even a problem.

This was actually the first time I remember seeing figure skating all over the news, as the channels and papers blased the "racist Russians".

Erin

Banned Member
misskarne forgot to set her alarm...I am shamed. :shuffle:

I think that was one of the most infuriating things about it (although there was a lot of infuriating things). "Hey, look, we met some Canadian Indigenous folks, so everything's okay now! Go sit back in your corner, little Australia, and let the big countries handle this."

No apology or meeting was ever arranged with Australian Indigenous representatives; no acknowledgement that it was even a problem.

This was actually the first time I remember seeing figure skating all over the news, as the channels and papers blased the "racist Russians".

For the record, I rewatched the CTV broadcast today, and no one thought it was OK just because they met with Canadian First Nations people. In fact, the Canadian commentators specifically said that they really should have been meeting with Australian aboriginals rather than Canadians, and they were all horrifically offended by the program.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
For the record, I rewatched the CTV broadcast today, and no one thought it was OK just because they met with Canadian First Nations people. In fact, the Canadian commentators specifically said that they really should have been meeting with Australian aboriginals rather than Canadians, and they were all horrifically offended by the program.

Sorry, I meant that that was the Russians' attitude. I haven't seen the Canadian broadcast of this program.

But there was very much a feeling of "little Australia should go sit down and let the big countries handle it" at the time. Especially given that during the same Olympics Cheltzie Lee was told by the IOC/ISU that she had to remove a memorial wristband she was wearing for the victims of the boat crash on Sydney Harbour. It was like, yeah okay, you're going to target our skater for that but you're going to let the Russians get away with that?

Erin

Banned Member
Sorry, I meant that that was the Russians' attitude. I haven't seen the Canadian broadcast of this program.

But there was very much a feeling of "little Australia should go sit down and let the big countries handle it" at the time.

Well, I don’t think that Russia ever thought it was offensive to begin with. I doubt the meeting with Canadian First Nations was really that much of a factor.

Also :lol: at Canada being a “big country.” Population-wise, it’s not much bigger than Australia. (And I assume you are not talking geographic-size, because Australia is obviously no slouch in that department.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information