From Russia With Love (No 32): Spring to Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
ANNOUNCED 5 FINALISTS RUNNING FOR BEST WINTER EUROPEAN YOUNG ATHLETE (8 May 2019): http://www.eurolympic.org/announced-5-finalists-running-for-best-winter-european-young-athlete/
The European NOCs have expressed their preference naming the 5 finalists who will run for Best Winter European Young Athlete. Girls are again favoured with 4 names: Magdalena EGGER (AUT) Alpine Skiing, Annika Sophie MORGAN (GER) Snowboard, Alexandra TRUSOVA (RUS) Figure Skating, Petra RUSNAKOVA (SVK) Short Track. The only boy is Attila TALABOS (HUN) Short Track.
The winner of the 4th Winter Piotr Nurowski Prize will be announced during the 40th EOC Seminar in Vienna (Austria) next 18-19 May. All five finalists will be awarded with a financial support for training and educational purposes. The winning athlete will receive an amount of €15,000, while the second and third-place finishers will secure €8,000 and €5,000 respectively. The fourth and fifth place athletes, meanwhile, both will receive €3,000.
Trusova won :): https://twitter.com/EOCmedia/status/1129828168129495041

Google translation of her IG post with 4 photos from the award ceremony in Vienna:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxnaV4IIHn2/

Figure skating began for me from early childhood and at the moment it has been with me all my life every day. I really like to do what I do. And for such happiness - to do what I love - I am very grateful to my parents, who so believed in me, that they helped me to follow my dream. I am very grateful to each of my trainers, who put their efforts into me and spent their time on me. Thanks to their every word, I am the one who I am now and continue to work on myself and my skills. And, of course, it is very pleasant that my efforts and efforts were so highly appreciated. Many thanks to everyone who voted for me. Doing your favorite thing is a great happiness, to realize that the way I do my favorite thing, valued by amateurs and professionals of this business is doubly pleasant! Thank you very much for the support I received!

ETA article ‘QUAD QUEEN’ TRUSOVA NAMED 2019 PIOTR NUROWSKI BEST EUROPEAN YOUNG WINTER ATHLETE: http://www.eurolympic.org/quad-quee...-nurowski-best-european-young-winter-athlete/

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Would all of you who want to continue the endless debate over Russian training methods and diets please consider starting a separate thread and leave this for actual news? You can then :argue: to your heart's content

Thank you! I care about the well-being of athletes, but I don’t want to scroll through 10 pages of messages about Eteri when I just want to get the latest news on Stepanova/Bukin’s new programs or Alina’s cute dog.

Finsta

I never thought Polina was disposable. She got injured. Same with Kimm. Nagasu was possibly, but always rumors of her having poor difficult work ethic at times. She really proved herself to earn her victories. Even her Olympics spot.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
An interview with Natalia Dubova (translating mainly the figure skating related stuff)
- I can be very strict, sometimes not. But I can always put myself in the athlete's shoes.
- My family always came first. My family always had my back - I cried back home, I was emotional back home. So I could support my athletes.
- The family: my grandmother worked in fur shop, she didnt' live long but she was my close friend. Mom was a doctor. Father was a mathematician - he was doing calculations for the bridges. My figure skating made me stand out in such a family. We had a grand piano in the flat and my aunt from Lvov would bring her pupils to Moscow. Mom would tell me `have you seen X practicing so hard' `yes, mom' and went to the rink, which was not what was expected.
- By the time I had to graduate the highschool I decided to finish the exams a year earlier. Mom didn't even believe I would get my diploma
- Figure skating - I simply wanted to skate and even to this day I don't understand how my parents allowed me going to the rink before the school. I had to go to school and I couldn't show up with the skates, so I would shove it into the snow and pick it up on the way back.
- In 1966 I went abroad for the first time to Turino for the Uni games.
- Both Averbukh and Zhulin - men say figure skating is a tough sport. Am not sure about Averbukh, but indeed it was hard on Zhulin - I worked with him for 19 years. He was lucky to have the talented Usova for a partner. Usova/Zhulin were the only Soviet skaters who were so popular in the USA
Usova: she is so sincere with everyone: the skaters, the judges. For me it's the most important thing - that defines a human. I am so grateful for Natalia for giving me this sincerity and thanks for all you have done for me.
- They were very talented, but I was very strict to them. They missed out on a lot, there were reasons - the divorce and all - the personal life came between them and the Olympic medal they never won. Back home we have my husband's diploma for a word record - he is a swimmer and he was the first to beat the USA athletes. There are many medals he has, but the only one he is missing is the gold Olympic medal. He really supported that team and think those 3 talents haven't taken the medals they should had.
Zhulin: Getting a praise from Dubova was hard. I had lame legs and arms, not that I was the ugliest one,but I was far from the best. Yet once we got to the competition I was the best and the most handsome. We did a huge job and once we were at the competition it payed off. The next day we would be back to Moscow and I would be lame again. I preferred to keep my distance and hear her from 5-6 meters, so things wouldn't fly in my direction. However, if you were well disciplined and did all the tasks, took the work seriously there were no negative remarks from her.
- I started coaching at the age of 19. Once the work became serious I switched to a very prestigious rink - I had Linitchuk in my group and hence I was accepted to a very good rink. My athletes didn't get a lot of ice though. I had to work on a bike track instead. I I was expected to work there. Once there were some results I was given the open rink and only later an artificial ice.
- It's hard to figure who to talk to in the figure skating. Today a coach can say it's her pupils, but in real life it's mine, Zhuk's, Kudriavtsev's, Mishin's skaters. And yet...
- I started working at 5:30 the earliest, usually at 6am.
Gorshkov: She is very demanding. It allowed her to to get into the USSR coaching ice dance elite. She had an intuition who to work with and who to let go. The Free Dance of Usova/Zhulin is still the masterpiece and that's what the ice dance should look like.
Zhulin: Dubova is very strict, demanding and I think we had a very strong team- think she was the only coach who had the whole World podium. If she didnt' show up in the practice we would do our best. If she came - we would start working like crazy.
- I went through 36 Worlds and 7 Olys and never had my skaters come home without a medal.
Tutberidze: she taught us the whole podium is ours, we are ahead of everyone.
- 1984 Klimova/Ponomarenko - we came to the Olympics in Sarajevo. We won the USSR nations by then, we had a slight chance to get a medal. We got to a meeting and we are being asked who is the n. 1 here? And someone else was named. So there is nothing you could do. Torvill/Dean won heads down in 1984. And then Klimova/Ponomarenko started winning. It was an explosion having the young skaters winning a bronze at the Olympics. 4 years of competition against the federation - the head of the federation was friends with another coach, I was still a young coach. It went as far as leaving Moiseeva/Minenkov coachless. I was called to the federation and told Moiseeva/Minenkov don't have a coach and, frankly, by then they were written off. I understood if we lose I will be kicked out together with them. So am at the Europeans with Moiseeva/Minenkov. Right after the competition we had to get fast to Sverdlovsk, where another major competition was taking place. My Klimova/Ponomarenko were competing there. I was told I would not be flying there. Later I learned another coach was going there who later STOLE them from me. Or another example: we come to Nagano, I was coaching a Canadian team, we were living not far from Canada, the conditions were awesome. I was also coaching the UK and the Israeli team, a Chinese team etc. Anyway, the Olympics are on and I see that my dance - the compulsory dance I created for Klimova/Ponomarenko - the Vienna Waltz that became compulsory. So they had a chance for a bronze, they skate their Golden Waltz and they end up... 5th! Why? Because everyone knows they have an amazing free dance, and once we said goodbye to the medal I see Shae Lynn during the warm up next to her is the coach's assistance, who stole her and later married her. So she never became an Olympic champion, they divorced immediately after.
- The easiest way to get rid of a coach back then is writing about them. That they are not loyal and I would not be allowed to travel abroad. I was shown a letter. By chance it made it to my friends. I saw the last names of the people who signed that letter. Fortunately I was not banned from travelling, even though Klimova/Ponomarenko's first competition in the UK I was not allowed to go. Back then you would be authorized travelling by the organs, and you would learn it on the way to the airport. It was the same for the theatre or ballet.
- My husband - we are married for 42 years. My son will be 50 next year. We both were married. He came as a journalist to the nationals. The competition was over. My very first team skated quite well - Garanina/Zavozin were not allowed to get the bronze they deserved. I was sitting on a table and crying. He was walking near and asked why was I crying. After the 1980 Olympics in Moscow we got married. We moved to the USA because in 1992 the USSR was over and the funding was done. There were some weird sponsors, who I didn't want to have anything with. My husband gave the sponsor a car and asked to support the group.
Tutberidze: everyone were leaving - the ice became private, so we had to pay for the ice and we didn't make any money. The coaches who left did not leave for the money, but for an opportunity to work - they simply didn't have an ice.
- I don't know what came first - probably my husband's illness. He was in the USA and fell ill. The USA Olympic committee offered me a contract. It was the middle of the Olympic cycle, so I couldn't leave my athletes, who were in Moscow. I couldn't sign a contract without talking to them first. I gave a seminar, that I was payed for, my husband underwent an open heart surgery in 1992 in the USA. The head of the committee was there, he took his shirt off to show me he had the same surgery. I declined signing without my athletes. 19 people moved to Montreal and we started working. We were given a place to live and cars, it was quite outskirts, but we could work and we had an ice. My husband taught me a lot - his stories about his career is something that motivated me.

Dobre

Dubova's wuz-robbed quotes annoy me just as much as her interviews used to when she was coaching, and it's been over a decade since I listened to one. LOL. To each their own. Thank you for the effort to translate, @TAHbKA.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I really root for Milkhail to get it together. He seems like such a serious guy and hard on himself. When Yuzu retires, I would like Kolyada to challenge Chen and Shoma for the top, he certainly has the talent and his basic skating is better than theirs.

But I still hate Chaplin.

RoseRed

Lol :)
Medvedeva... asked Averbukh to do a short program for her. He says they did it "together". Together with whom? It isn't clear.
What a nice reason to cry, isn't it?
https://sportmail.ru/news/figure-skating/37342590/
I assumed by together, he meant him and Zhenya, but that may not be it. Since she chose it herself, it would make sense if she was to be involved a bit in the choreo (maybe more than in the past when she worked with him), so that could be it.

VGThuy

An interview with Natalia Dubova (translating mainly the figure skating related stuff)
- I can be very strict, sometimes not. But I can always put myself in the athlete's shoes.
- My family always came first. My family always had my back - I cried back home, I was emotional back home. So I could support my athletes.
- The family: my grandmother worked in fur shop, she didnt' live long but she was my close friend. Mom was a doctor. Father was a mathematician - he was doing calculations for the bridges. My figure skating made me stand out in such a family. We had a grand piano in the flat and my aunt from Lvov would bring her pupils to Moscow. Mom would tell me `have you seen X practicing so hard' `yes, mom' and went to the rink, which was not what was expected.
- By the time I had to graduate the highschool I decided to finish the exams a year earlier. Mom didn't even believe I would get my diploma
- Figure skating - I simply wanted to skate and even to this day I don't understand how my parents allowed me going to the rink before the school. I had to go to school and I couldn't show up with the skates, so I would shove it into the snow and pick it up on the way back.
- In 1966 I went abroad for the first time to Turino for the Uni games.
- Both Averbukh and Zhulin - men say figure skating is a tough sport. Am not sure about Averbukh, but indeed it was hard on Zhulin - I worked with him for 19 years. He was lucky to have the talented Usova for a partner. Usova/Zhulin were the only Soviet skaters who were so popular in the USA
Usova: she is so sincere with everyone: the skaters, the judges. For me it's the most important thing - that defines a human. I am so grateful for Natalia for giving me this sincerity and thanks for all you have done for me.
- They were very talented, but I was very strict to them. They missed out on a lot, there were reasons - the divorce and all - the personal life came between them and the Olympic medal they never won. Back home we have my husband's diploma for a word record - he is a swimmer and he was the first to beat the USA athletes. There are many medals he has, but the only one he is missing is the gold Olympic medal. He really supported that team and think those 3 talents haven't taken the medals they should had.
Zhulin: Getting a praise from Dubova was hard. I had lame legs and arms, not that I was the ugliest one,but I was far from the best. Yet once we got to the competition I was the best and the most handsome. We did a huge job and once we were at the competition it payed off. The next day we would be back to Moscow and I would be lame again. I preferred to keep my distance and hear her from 5-6 meters, so things wouldn't fly in my direction. However, if you were well disciplined and did all the tasks, took the work seriously there were no negative remarks from her.
- I started coaching at the age of 19. Once the work became serious I switched to a very prestigious rink - I had Linitchuk in my group and hence I was accepted to a very good rink. My athletes didn't get a lot of ice though. I had to work on a bike track instead. I I was expected to work there. Once there were some results I was given the open rink and only later an artificial ice.
- It's hard to figure who to talk to in the figure skating. Today a coach can say it's her pupils, but in real life it's mine, Zhuk's, Kudriavtsev's, Mishin's skaters. And yet...
- I started working at 5:30 the earliest, usually at 6am.
Gorshkov: She is very demanding. It allowed her to to get into the USSR coaching ice dance elite. She had an intuition who to work with and who to let go. The Free Dance of Usova/Zhulin is still the masterpiece and that's what the ice dance should look like.
Zhulin: Dubova is very strict, demanding and I think we had a very strong team- think she was the only coach who had the whole World podium. If she didnt' show up in the practice we would do our best. If she came - we would start working like crazy.
- I went through 36 Worlds and 7 Olys and never had my skaters come home without a medal.
Tutberidze: she taught us the whole podium is ours, we are ahead of everyone.
- 1984 Klimova/Ponomarenko - we came to the Olympics in Sarajevo. We won the USSR nations by then, we had a slight chance to get a medal. We got to a meeting and we are being asked who is the n. 1 here? And someone else was named. So there is nothing you could do. Torvill/Dean won heads down in 1984. And then Klimova/Ponomarenko started winning. It was an explosion having the young skaters winning a bronze at the Olympics. 4 years of competition against the federation - the head of the federation was friends with another coach, I was still a young coach. It went as far as leaving Moiseeva/Minenkov coachless. I was called to the federation and told Moiseeva/Minenkov don't have a coach and, frankly, by then they were written off. I understood if we lose I will be kicked out together with them. So am at the Europeans with Moiseeva/Minenkov. Right after the competition we had to get fast to Sverdlovsk, where another major competition was taking place. My Klimova/Ponomarenko were competing there. I was told I would not be flying there. Later I learned another coach was going there who later STOLE them from me. Or another example: we come to Nagano, I was coaching a Canadian team, we were living not far from Canada, the conditions were awesome. I was also coaching the UK and the Israeli team, a Chinese team etc. Anyway, the Olympics are on and I see that my dance - the compulsory dance I created for Klimova/Ponomarenko - the Vienna Waltz that became compulsory. So they had a chance for a bronze, they skate their Golden Waltz and they end up... 5th! Why? Because everyone knows they have an amazing free dance, and once we said goodbye to the medal I see Shae Lynn during the warm up next to her is the coach's assistance, who stole her and later married her. So she never became an Olympic champion, they divorced immediately after.
- The easiest way to get rid of a coach back then is writing about them. That they are not loyal and I would not be allowed to travel abroad. I was shown a letter. By chance it made it to my friends. I saw the last names of the people who signed that letter. Fortunately I was not banned from travelling, even though Klimova/Ponomarenko's first competition in the UK I was not allowed to go. Back then you would be authorized travelling by the organs, and you would learn it on the way to the airport. It was the same for the theatre or ballet.
- My husband - we are married for 42 years. My son will be 50 next year. We both were married. He came as a journalist to the nationals. The competition was over. My very first team skated quite well - Garanina/Zavozin were not allowed to get the bronze they deserved. I was sitting on a table and crying. He was walking near and asked why was I crying. After the 1980 Olympics in Moscow we got married. We moved to the USA because in 1992 the USSR was over and the funding was done. There were some weird sponsors, who I didn't want to have anything with. My husband gave the sponsor a car and asked to support the group.
Tutberidze: everyone were leaving - the ice became private, so we had to pay for the ice and we didn't make any money. The coaches who left did not leave for the money, but for an opportunity to work - they simply didn't have an ice.
- I don't know what came first - probably my husband's illness. He was in the USA and fell ill. The USA Olympic committee offered me a contract. It was the middle of the Olympic cycle, so I couldn't leave my athletes, who were in Moscow. I couldn't sign a contract without talking to them first. I gave a seminar, that I was payed for, my husband underwent an open heart surgery in 1992 in the USA. The head of the committee was there, he took his shirt off to show me he had the same surgery. I declined signing without my athletes. 19 people moved to Montreal and we started working. We were given a place to live and cars, it was quite outskirts, but we could work and we had an ice. My husband taught me a lot - his stories about his career is something that motivated me.

@gk_891 , I think you'd enjoy this interview. Thank you TAHbKA for taking the time to translate it. I can't believe she's still living in such bitterness. She really was one of the best ice dance coaches IMO, but she's so angry and seems to have been angry for things that happened decades ago. I guess she still doesn't like Tarasova. She STOLE K/P from her and later had her assistant seduce Shae-Lynn from her as well. Jokes on them as they got divorced with no Olympic medal according to Dubova, :p.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
@gk_891 . She STOLE K/P from her and later had her assistant seduce Shae-Lynn from her as well. Jokes on them as they got divorced with no Olympic medal according to Dubova, :p.

I forgot that Shae-Lynn was married to Morosov. Did she have a child with him, too? How many times has Morosov been married and how many kids does he have?

Amy L

I forgot that Shae-Lynn was married to Morosov. Did she have a child with him, too? How many times has Morosov been married and how many kids does he have?

Shae-Lynn and Nikolai didn't have any children together. Nikolai has been married 4(?) times and has one child for sure (and rumors of maybe more :slinkaway), his daughter Annabelle who is currently a Russian ice dancer.

VGThuy

Also, regarding Dubova's comments about B/K's fifth place in the Golden Waltz...in the words of Judy Blumberg when she commentated for ABC during the 1998 Worlds OD...Dubova knows better.

Tinami Amori

She really was one of the best ice dance coaches IMO, but she's so angry and seems to have been angry for things that happened decades ago. I guess she still doesn't like Tarasova. She STOLE K/P from her and later had her assistant seduce Shae-Lynn from her as well. Jokes on them as they got divorced with no Olympic medal according to Dubova, :p.

I have no horses in this race or in too many "dance issues", but when few people "in the skating world" read this Dubova's interview, they call confirmed that "yes, that's how it happened". TAT set up a situation where Dubova could not go to either a training camp or a test skate, K/P went without her, and that TAT arranged with the federation to have them switch at that time, approached them herself and told them that when Dubova was away. And that at those Olympics Tarasova was very rude and dismissive of Dubova, ignoring her and turning her back towards her to block her off from the view when reporters came. Tarasova is known for playing "evil games"... :D

Tinami Amori

You don't know that the kids are happy.
Well..... they know they are.. :D
https://pp.userapi.com/c847019/v847019484/877cc/uH_ixk60TLo.jpg
.... and their parents seem to be happy, since they keep them there, and watch the practice (since Tutberidze, as per her interview with Posner, insists that the parents should be involved.. :lol:)
https://pp.userapi.com/c846217/v846217823/1e1ce4/fhNfWD-OLWI.jpg

New transfer to Eteri's group. Margarita Bazyluk (born 2011)
few videos from earlier competitions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiFNJ2p9kmQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHVX3fOUl6M

Alena Kostornaya... with horses on vacation, riding them away.. :lol:
https://vk.com/figureskating_love?z=photo-64888695_456333133/wall-64888695_835453

VGThuy

I have no horses in this race or in too many "dance issues", but when few people "in the skating world" read this Dubova's interview, they call confirmed that "yes, that's how it happened". TAT set up a situation where Dubova could not go to either a training camp or a test skate, K/P went without her, and that TAT arranged with the federation to have them switch at that time, approached them herself and told them that when Dubova was away. And that at those Olympics Tarasova was very rude and dismissive of Dubova, ignoring her and turning her back towards her to block her off from the view when reporters came. Tarasova is known for playing "evil games"... :D

That may be true, but K/P already wanted to leave Dubova over perceived ideas of favoritism towards Usova/Zhulin and felt they were unsupported by her during the whole failed drug test debacle at 1991 Europeans leaving them feeling abandoned at 1991 Worlds. If they were happy with her, K/P wouldn't have happily left. Then Dubova did a number on Oksana Grishuk and Tatiana Navka due to Zhulin's actions and wanting to protect Usova. Even if she was justified, all of that just added more credence to the whole Dubova favoring Usova/Zhulin narrative.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

:p "Not Tutberidze news".

- Mikhail Kolyada announces he has a fiance and they just spent time on a great vacation. "To clarify my personal life (to my fans) I've just went on a great vacation with my fiance".
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxp9z1-oe-A/

- CSKA Buianova's group.
Season's foto: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxii858IOps/

- Rukavytsyn's season's group, with 3 boys transferring: Polyansky, Ermolin, Kravitz.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f53/19/73/57/93/xmzgww11.jpg

- Elena Ilinykh/Polunin on "Evening Urgant" (can translate if anyone is interested. they met on line, he invited her to dance with him before they met in person. She wants to try new forms of expression. They motivate each other, trying new things.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPkDMhczTU
Just fotos from the show:
https://pp.userapi.com/c849524/v849524158/182347/A8Oz6kq2FMk.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/6YTbNNP/idlw-u-QHff0.jpg

Rasputin ballet. Elena will dance in the UK production as well, not just in Moscow opening.
https://vk.com/figureskating_love?z=photo-64888695_456333145/wall-64888695_836016
https://scontent-arn2-1.cdninstagra...n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.cdninstagram.com

Alina Zagitova turns 17: https://i.imgur.com/foaAN03.jpg
She asked her fans to donate the money to the "Gift of Life" children's foundation, instead of sending her gifts, flowers; receives a thank you letter from the foundation, for the donations they received as a result. https://i.imgur.com/0qVyNnO.jpg

Last edited:

Ka3sha

New interview with Makar Ignatov.
https://fsrussia.ru/news/4397-makar...chetko-ponimat-dlya-chego-ty-eto-delaesh.html

He was 4th at JGPF in 2017/18 season, didn’t qualify to Junior Worlds that season and missed almost entire 2018/19 season due to injury.
He has recovered and started preparations for the new season, they are having a camp in Italy later this month. Wants to show his best next season.

I like his skating and am glad that he didn’t retire.
Most recent videos from SPb Chamoionship:
SP: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Lbj-g-jeZrA
LP: https://youtube.com/watch?v=IKQbNQaVLMk

J

Jeschke

New interview with Makar Ignatov.
Thanks so much @Ka3sha

I am already :drama: about the host spot next season.
I want it for Ignatov, Savosin, Murashov, Samoilov or Shulepov.

And in the end Miliukov will be the smiling one walking away with it :D

J

Jeschke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information