From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellanca

Vika needs to step away and heal. As hard as that is to do, it has to be done. Now would be the ideal time. The situation will not improve until they do something meaningful about it. Rest and recover.

lala

Pluschenko has done a lot to earn disregard of many fans and turn them into haters. He can't stay even few days without limelight and a havoc around his persona. As of yesterday he is fighting via social media with the director of Sambo-70 and Yagudin yet again. Those fans who supported him vs. Yagudin for many years, are now turning away from him.

Eteri takes young skater who on their own free will come to her (from Moscow and other parts of Russia). When they come to her she does not guarantee that a) she'll accept them into her group, b) that they will pass the several weeks worth of trial period.

She has not ever INITIATED any messages or invitations to these skaters.

She also enquires for reasons why they left previous coaches, and check that there is no conflict involved.

And, most skaters come to her BEFORE they become famous and well awarded.

Yes, dear..I know it. And who started the attacks? LOL! Not Plushenko. What a big liar you are! :mad:He just defended himself. Yagudin's attack , joke was disgusting. You can sell your story who doesn't follow the situation. So You can't lie here, because I can tell the truth. LOL! He has no reason to start attackings anyone in this situation later on.
The transfer is scandalous only in Russia and for Eteri fans! That is ridiculous, disgusting, what happens in Russian in this matter.
Tinami.. don't forget I'm here, when you want to lie!

Eteri receives the most talented girls from Russia so she "steals" the skaters from their previous coaches..and makes awarded skaters from them. Yes, this is why she is a great coach.

I apologize to everyone because I was rude with Tinami but I'm shocked when I read Tinami’s obvious, constant lies.
But I must say I would be more happy if Plushenko ignores these attacks.

Maybe this is the reason why they attack Plushenko and his academy:
"at the 2nd stage of the Russian Cup: in addition to the winners Sasha Trusova and Artem Kovalev, the juniors Sonia Muravyova (2nd place, or first? ;) ) and Kirill Sarnovsky (4th place) also performed successfully. Yes, the performances of Lera Shulskaya and Stasi can be added to the asset." -
from FSO forum

Last edited:

Bigbird

Vika needs to step away and heal. As hard as that is to do, it has to be done. Now would be the ideal time. The situation will not improve until they do something meaningful about it. Rest and recover.
Considering that this has been an ongoing problem since at least 2017, this shouldn't even be a question. Zhulin and Katsalapov had no business in even agreeing with her that stepping on that ice was a good idea. Ilinykh was not entertaining his requests for practice as usual in their 2012/13 season when she dislocated her shoulder and she paid dearly for taking that stance. In ice dance the girls, IMHO, are treated as pieces of meat and it is disturbing to see it play out. Was it necessary for Vika to come to the ice for them to know she could not skate? When does being obedient become licence to abuse someone? It looks pretty closr to it here. An objective evaluation wasn't possible remotely? Yes Katsalapov is complicit but I would not expect him to know better because that is the culture, but a coach with all his experience should jave known better.

mjb52

I'm really worried and definitely one of S/K's biggest fans on this board but it feels like the concern may be tipping over into a bit of melodrama at this point. We don't know what her injury is yet or how serious it is. I really hope she will be ok and that she will get both the rest and treatment she needs and will (try to) wait patiently for more news.

kris2ffer

Do people here honestly believe that Rusfed will deny top skaters especially the injured now at the Russian Nationals just because they cannot participate at the Russian Cup Stages?

You can argue that Rusfed can be corrupt but stupid is not one of them. Mark my word some sort of exceptions will be made for top skaters like SinKats who can't participate at the Russian Cup Stages. And Im perfectly fine with that. Zhulin should have known this already and not forced SinKats to skate.

There is just so much at stake at next year's worlds because it will determine the number of skaters for the Olympics and top skaters being at the disadvantage during the selections for worlds by being denied of participation in the Russian nationals in favor of mediocre skaters who simply participated at the Cup is just pure dumb.

If SinKats or S/B gets denied for the Russian Nationals & Rusfed wants to be firm with this dumb rule they created, they can just simply kiss their 3 olympic spot & gold chances goodbye.

Last edited:

Japanfan

It is normal to cry if you fall but also normal to smile if you do not. The fact that an audience full of smiling cheering people does appear to give her any joy or even trigger an automatic performance-smile is a red flag to me as far as far as being genuinely concerned about the welfare of children in a sport I care about. When I began experiencing abuse and depression as a teenager I went about my life as normal but completely lost the ability to smile. Adults called me "serious" and "left me alone" and I wish they hadn't.

I am sorry for your experiences, but it could be that she is just uncomfortable being in the public eye or in front of a large audience. Not a strength for a competitive athlete, but perhaps she will get used to it.

Bigbird

I'm really worried and definitely one of S/K's biggest fans on this board but it feels like the concern may be tipping over into a bit of melodrama at this point. We don't know what her injury is yet or how serious it is. I really hope she will be ok and that she will get both the rest and treatment she needs and will (try to) wait patiently for more news.
The real melodrama is Zhulin knew the state that Vika was in and still allowed her to skate. The melodram is Eteri subtling throwing shade at Kostornaia for not performing the more difficult LP knowing there was injury. The melodrama is Zhulin throwing barbs at Medvedeva for not competing at these Russia cups due to injury to save face? My concern is with a culture that does not protect the athletes, yet Zhulin will be the first to suggest that coaches must be protected from the departure of athletes and even fined up to 10 mil rubles? That is my concern. S/K soon enough will retire but there will still be Zhulins and others of his ilk being despicable.

Ka3sha

Update on Evgenia Medvedeva, again from TASS:
She has a pinched nerve in her back, they are trying to avoid a surgery, she is now recovering (physical therapy, swimming, etc) and is back on the ice starting from today.
For now she plans to compete at Rostelecom, but may be added to the rosters at RC events in Kazan and Moscow, if the Fed doesn't change the qualifying rules.

muffinplus

According to the Eteri theory espoused by her skaters, you can skate through an injury and still heal. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I mean, it has nothing to do with Eteri specifically. They seem to have that philosophy in Russia in general of skating injured ... (see Nugumanova skating with broken leg, Vika skating on bad knee, Samarian skating with injured back)

Last edited:
C

casken

I might be misremembering, but wasn't Soloviev's recovery from his knee injury inhibited by some combination of misdiagnosis/mistreatment?

Looking through their Wiki page, there also was a recurring groin injury through the 2013 and 2014 seasons...

Perky Shae Lynn

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
This is not new or unusual. Ballet dancers in particular are constantly doing therapy because of the enormous stress on their bodies.
Therapy is one thing. It helps counter the stress athletes put on their bodies. Performing while injured..... Whole other pile of stupid.

muffinplus

Here is an article where Nugumanova says she didn't see a doctor and continuted to train on painkillers even thought it turned out she had broken her leg. EDIT - to clarify because she thought it was just a sprain

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Are the results listed somewhere? I am curious.
Khuda/Bazin skated there too.
This was a competition for only "Balashikha Rink" skaters - "Balashikha Rink Contest". As i read from the IG comments, the judges were skaters' parents. Kanysheva's comment was "We did not accomplish all we have planned, but it is a start".

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

According to the Eteri theory espoused by her skaters, you can skate through an injury and still heal. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Eteri NEVER practiced this. It's few other coaches and skaters who are not in her group, who have injuries. (given that for example a blister or a cut is not considered a debilitating injury).

Bellanca

Agreed. It could be that Vika would only need a minimal amount of time off the ice. The point is to take a little break (at the very least). I fully support an athlete's decision making at times like this, with what I hope is a supportive coach and physician that knows when to say 'no, go home, heal.' If Vika wants to carry on while addressing her situation, then I support her because she (with her team) knows her situation better than anyone. We'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information