From Russia with Love [#33]: Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finsta

I only think it is a bit of a blanket statement to imply that her students all look unhealthy (yes, they are tiny, but I would not say anorexic looking), as well as to attribute Medevdeva's injury to Eteri's technique ,as well as to say her students can't make it past puberty.

Zagitova seems to have survived puberty OK...so far, she looks better than last year? The only "unhealthy" looking one to me from her current camp of seniors is Anna. That said, doesn't her mom have the same kind of build? Kostornaia and Trusova both look "ok" to me.

The not drinking water thing is definitely f..d up, but I think Zagitova was the one who mentioned it said that about Olympics, I'm still not sure what that means, because there are videos of her drinking during competition?

It's one thing to say something about eating disorders in her camp... but it's not a singularly Eteri school issue 🤷 I just think it's another to imply she is starving her students and views them as totally disposable 🤷

Did Eteri work with Zagitova for technique or was that coach before Eteri? I thought coach before taught technique and that may be why she seems okay past growing spurt. I don’t know all history of all Russian skaters though so maybe Eteri taught her from beginning but thought I read here before that alina wasn’t originally with Eteri

hanca

Values her privacy
Did Eteri work with Zagitova for technique or was that coach before Eteri? I thought coach before taught technique and that may be why she seems okay past growing spurt. I don’t know all history of all Russian skaters though so maybe Eteri taught her from beginning but thought I read here before that alina wasn’t originally with Eteri
I don’t know how much Tutberidze had to do with Alina’s technique, but when Alina came to Tutberidze, she was nobody. All the jumps and consistency was gained while training at Tutberidze’s group.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

DobrinFan

hanca

Values her privacy

Flora

Just watched Anna and Kamila's LP back to back and Anna's looked like work. She needs so many crossovers to move around the rink. Her jumps look cranked and have little flow out. I think she's the most vulnerable out of the 3As. Kamila on the other hand has tons of power, better jump technique (minus the axel), and crazy good spins. It'll be interesting to how they both progress this season.

giselle23

Not necessarily. If you do a huge amount of exercise, it impacts on your growth. That’s why skaters often grow a lot during the summer holidays. If you are talking about puberty, many sportswomen have it later than the average population. While in general population many girls have it around the age of 13, in skating many ladies have figure changes much later - Lipnitskaya had it post Olympics (age 16), Sakhanovich started struggling during her third junior season (age 15-16), Radionova also around that age, Medvedeva changed her figure post Olympics (aged 18), Zagitova also post Olympics (aged 16)...

The research I have seen is inconclusive
as to whether intense training causes delayed puberty. It could have genetic factors, with the result that those who naturally develop later are more likely to stay in the sport than those who do not.

mjb52

I'm catching up on the test skates because there is just so much, I didn't want to watch everything at once, it's like eating some kind of massive feast that is all dessert! Anyway, I've just seen Zagitova's free and I see what everyone means - she looks really happy and confident and the program suits her a lot. I really think Russia needs more spots!

starrynight

with the result that those who naturally develop later are more likely to stay in the sport than those who do not.

Yes there’s lots of surveys that participation in sports drops dramatically amongst girls when they go through puberty. I can imagine a sport like skating with tiny little spandex costumes becomes less appealing for lots of girls as they start to grow up.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Just watched Anna and Kamila's LP back to back and Anna's looked like work. She needs so many crossovers to move around the rink. Her jumps look cranked and have little flow out. I think she's the most vulnerable out of the 3As. Kamila on the other hand has tons of power, better jump technique (minus the axel), and crazy good spins. It'll be interesting to how they both progress this season.

Shcherbakova could land a quad axel and it would somehow look unimpressive.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The expression ‘3A’s’ is so confusing because I keep thinking we are talking about ‘triple axels’.
:lol: I'm pretty sure everybody who reads the Russian threads or talks about the Russian ladies know what 3As refers to in this context.

barbarafan

The research I have seen is inconclusive
as to whether intense training causes delayed puberty. It could have genetic factors, with the result that those who naturally develop later are more likely to stay in the sport than those who do not.
I believe they have proven that starvation definitely delays puberty, along with lifetime medical problems and sometimes inability to have children.

starrynight

:lol: I'm pretty sure everybody who reads the Russian threads or talks about the Russian ladies know what 3As refers to in this context.

lol No I swear there's been discussions (maybe elsewhere) which flip between debating triple axels and the '3A'.

Particularly when everyone was fighting about the SP at Lombardia and Liza's triple axel, Eteri, the junior girls and Anna S. There were 3A's flying everywhere!

I'm sure by the time Russian Nationals come around, the girls will gain enough individual identity to be called by name, so the 3A business will probably stop.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
lol No I swear there's been discussions (maybe elsewhere) which flip between debating triple axels and the '3A'.

Particularly when everyone was fighting about the SP at Lombardia and Liza's triple axel, Eteri, the junior girls and Anna S. There were 3A's flying everywhere!

I'm sure by the time Russian Nationals come around, the girls will gain enough individual identity to be called by name, so the 3A business will probably stop.
I doubt it. It's short, easy and now part of the FSU lexicon

Ka3sha

Fs-gossips did several translations of recent interviews:

Samokhvalov's interview with Kamilla Valieva
Original interview
Who would you like to compete with?
– With Alysa Liu.
You will meet in the Grand Prix Final in Turin.
– Probably. She jumps quadruple lutz, two triple axels. I have two quadruple toe loops. Still I want to know who is stronger – she or me. When we will meet at the same warm-up, I want to feel will there be more nerves or excitement about this fight. I’m looking forward to it.

Vaitsekhovskaia's interview with Brian Orser after the test skates
Original interview
Speaking of competition, it’s extremely high in the Russian ladies’ team now.
– Yeah, just fantastic (laughs). Standards are very high, the bar is much higher now. New faces appear in figure skating, and this is very important for competitions. Competition is always good, now older girls, such as Evgenia and Elizaveta (Tuktamysheva – ed.) have the opportunity to gain new experience and take a step forward for themselves.

A new generation of girls wants to be number one, their technique, jumps are impressive. And just like that, figure skating becomes more interesting. The fight is gaining momentum, and in such conditions we need to become more prudent in order to remain on equal footing.
Have you talked with Zhenya about this?
– Sure. She understands who are her direct competitors now. Of course, from time to time, new faces appear, new stars. We need to stick to our own path, follow the course that we have chosen. There is no time and opportunity to look back; we must do everything in our power. The Russian figure skating environment perfectly contributes to this, because it, like in no other country, sets a tough barrier of reaching the level of World Championships.
Let’s speak about your tandem. Can you say that there is complete understanding between you, Tracy and Zhenya?
– Yes, I’m sure of that. Now there is a special harmony between us. Of course, in the first year of collaboration, there were some conflicts of interest. But this is normal, and now we follow a single course. It seems to me that Evgenia began to understand our approach to training better, especially last summer.
Of course, I can’t speak so confidently for her. But I felt that she couldn’t choose the direction for a very long time, literally stuck at a crossroads. Over the past year, Zhenya was drawn in different directions sometimes: she was torn between the usual system of training and the new style that we offered. Now I see that Evgenia has accepted our position, and this is very important. She trusts us, so together we can do everything.
And what do you want to see from Zhenya in the new season first of all?
– I had the opportunity to talk with some officials who over the past two days have been watching her. They all noted how much Evgenia has changed. I would draw a parallel with children, even though I don’t have my own. You may not notice how they grow, but when you see someone whom you haven’t seen for six months, and you are like: “Oh God, how you grew up!”
A funny analogy (smiles). So, those with whom I spoke, saw Zhenya at Worlds last time, about six months ago. Now they are reacting so brightly to her transformation! And I’m also sure that she has become better, but I relate to this without such a wow effect. Here she improved in speed, and here began to move differently … Well, that’s fine (laughs).
Perhaps that’s because I’m very critical. I’m really happy about her changes, but there is always a room for growth. You can get better again and again. Well, now is just the beginning of September, and everyone understands what a huge work is ahead. If we could talk about one hundred percent readiness now, everything would be too simple (smiles). We need to be at the peak in December (at the Russian Nationals), and then in March (at the World Championships). Now they continue to support her, and I’m sincerely glad of this. But we remember how much work is ahead.
If we talk about specific technical elements, do you devote the most time to the quad salchow?
– Oh yes, we give this a lot of time and energy.
Forty minutes a day?
– Right. This is very difficult, but we are taking new steps forward, trying to conquer such a peak (showing a special harness for jumping with a gesture). I’m sure that Evgenia can do it. We know that it necessary to be ready physically. It’s important that Zhenya herself has a lot of determination. She works hard on her muscles, she is very competent in nutrition. Together we continue this path and will achieve our goal. Maybe at the Russian Nationals? (smiles) No one knows yet.
In this sense, salchow is the best jump, because the simplest. If we talk about quadruples now, while you are young, this jump should become yours. So will see.
And how difficult is it for you as a coach to work on the wrong (inner) edge on Evgenia’s lutz?
– Oh, it’s insanely difficult and nervous (laughs).
Harder than with salchow?
– Maybe (laughs). Because adjusting of flip and lutz, achieving their stability is extremely difficult. These are elements where details are important from the very beginning and everything depends on their development. When I was young, I also had to learn lutz: first single, then double, then triple … A lot of attention was paid to this jump.
And now, as a coach, I also try to work on it especially carefully, because I understand what the skater feels. Sometimes pushing, rotation of the body, the necessary trajectory may seem simple, but it is not. A lot depends on the old habit, on how you did it before.
Of course, I expect that in the new season Evgenia will have an outside edge on lutz. There is progress, but so far it often resembles her former manner. Some technicians may call it a mistake; some may assume that everything is ok. I still want to achieve perfection for her in this element, and we work a lot on this at our rink. Evgenia may make some mistakes, but still continue to move forward. She, like me, knows that she is capable of the best.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Gadzhieva's interview with Krylova: Krylova mentions they changed the crazy lift, changed pretty much half of a programme (with Popova/Mozgov).
Unfortunately no mention of changing the SD to something less lewd.

Ka3sha

Gadzhieva's interview with Krylova: Krylova mentions they changed the crazy lift, changed pretty much half of a programme (with Popova/Mozgov).
She said that they moved it closer to the end (as a choreo lift, I guess) because they would have gotten an extended lift deduction otherwise

DobrinFan

giselle23

And when you have both in your enviornment ??????

The comment I was referring to was the idea that intensive training can delay puberty. That is unproven, according to some studies I have read. If there is starvation (I hope not), it could have an effect but it would not explain what appears to be later puberty in many female athletes (not just skaters).

VenusH.

Sadly, I think that with Eteri's medalists factory, they will be the As until a girl with different name comes in and then itz will be KAA or something.

I mean, people were chanting "Eteri" at the test skates. And of course, we cannot forget the infamous "ROSSIJAAAA" screeching at Olympics in Sochi and the championship in Moscow, which would make you think an ice-hockey is going on.

barbarafan

The comment I was referring to was the idea that intensive training can delay puberty. That is unproven, according to some studies I have read. If there is starvation (I hope not), it could have an effect but it would not explain what appears to be later puberty in many female athletes (not just skaters).
yes it would.....These are studies perhaps starting with concentration camps.

hanca

Values her privacy
They SP wouldn’t be as bad if they changed the costume. The music and skating would be fine if she didn’t dress up as a prostitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information