From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Right, those are the articles that makes me worried for him. There are allegations that they filed as married after they divorced, which would require both their signatures, as well as allegations that they reported a property as sold at a loss, allowing them to offset some income (pay less taxes) although they apparently never sold the property?

Even if either of them had granted a power of attorney to the other to allow the other to sign both of their names to a return, they are both still responsible.

It's not that I don't care about her, but she doesn't train and travel with international athletes like he does.

He should get a reputable US tax lawyer, have them re-do everything and pay what he owes as well as the fines. If he waits until the audit, either the IRS or New Jersey taxing authority might regard their 'mistakes' as crimes.

hanca

Values her privacy
I want to point out that there are no articles ("a" and "the") in the Russian language or certain other Slavic languages. For those who speak such languages as their native tongue, learning when to use the articles in English can be very difficult, because the grammar for articles is not particularly systematic. My Serbian labmate was always expressing his frustration at not knowing when to write "the" or "a" in his journal paper, and that it feels like guessing.
This. Even after twenty years of living in English speaking country, and earning money by writing long reports in English, I am still aware that my use of ‘the’ and ‘a’ is somewhat random. Usually I forget at least a few per page, but sometimes being aware that I don’t use them often enough I overcompensate.

Ka3sha

As a side note, there is a difference between ‘few’ and ‘ a few’. It drives me crazy to see people use ‘few’ which means ‘none’ when they really should have used ‘a few’ which means ‘some’ ( but not many). In some cases the context explains what the poster means,but sometimes it is confusing ( I think you mean some
Points here, and not No points).
Thank you for the correction.
I am aware of this difference , but sometimes it’s really hard to keep it in mind while chatting, texting, posting on social media/forums and etc.
Anyway, I apologize in case you found my post confusing and difficult to understand.

synchrogirl17

As a side note, there is a difference between ‘few’ and ‘ a few’. It drives me crazy to see people use ‘few’ which means ‘none’ when they really should have used ‘a few’ which means ‘some’ ( but not many). In some cases the context explains what the poster means,but sometimes it is confusing ( I think you mean some
Points here, and not No points).

I agree that any errors might be due to their respective native languages... I am learning Czech, and it is hard to abandon articles!

But also, “few” does not always mean “none”... Yes, in this case it was incorrect, but the usage is a bit more complicated than “some” vs “none”

Some examples here: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1866/a-few-vs-few

skatingguy

decently
This. Even after twenty years of living in an English speaking country, and earning money by writing long reports in English, I am still aware that my use of ‘the’ and ‘a’ is somewhat random. Usually I forget at least a few per page, but sometimes being aware that I don’t use them often enough I overcompensate.
:)
I still struggle with English grammar and I am a native speaker. It's not a very intuitive language, probably because its development was like someone putting together a collage of their favourite words, and grammar rules from other languages.

Rina RUS

For those who speak such languages as their native tongue, learning when to use the articles in English can be very difficult

Sure. :) We just remember, that a table is "he" in Russian, a bed is "she", a window is "it". A moon is "she", if we say "luna" about it, but a moon is "he", if we say "mesyats". We remember it for every word we know. :) As for articles - who can understand it? :)

There are some spoilers, of course: for example, almost all the words which have "iya" ending, are "she" in Russian. Yet not all of them: "missiya" (mission) is "she", "messiya" (Messiah) is "he".

:) Yet I think Russian verbs are more difficult for a foreigner than nouns. Russians think there are only 3 tenses: present, past and future - but it is not like you can just change one verb to any tense (if you suppose you need more than 3 tenses). Imperfective verbs are easy, but if you need to say, that something has been done (from the beginning to the end), you need a perfective verb, you need to know what perfective verbs do exist:
delayet - does or is doing (imperfective)
delal - did or has/had been doing (imperfective)
perfective:
sdelal, nadelal, prodelal, obdelal - has/had done
perfective:
sdelayet, nadelayet, prodelayet, obdelayet - will have done
(there are other imperfective verbs which also mean "did or has/had been doing": podelyval, prodelyval, obdelyval - but a foreigner can do without these)

As for "few" and "a few", our teacher was saying "few" was used for "мало" (not many/almost nothing?), "a few" was used for "несколько" (several/some?). Maybe it is not quite so. :)

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Relax about the three spots, guys. Alina gets high scores even if she implodes, and Sofia Samodurova is rock solid. They will manage the three spots (placements under 13) easily.

Well it could happen. She manages to stay on her feet on domestic ice and then she is doused in PCS.

Not so far fetched. Konstantinova always get seriously overscored at home competitions. It is abroad where she has a bit of a problem with her scores.

Keep on dousing, judges! #StasiaFan4ever

I would say that this is very possible...

I love your optimism! That’s the spirit!

skatingguy

decently
I think one of the other differences in the use of 'few and 'a few' is the feeling that we're trying to express.
a few = positive = There are a few options.
few = negative = There are few options.

Thread drift is a remarkable phenomenon. Talking about Russian skating, and an English grammar discussion broke out. :)

Bonjour Sherry

:) Yet I think Russian verbs are more difficult for a foreigner than nouns. Russians think there are only 3 tences: present, past and future - but it is not like you can just change one verb to any tence (if you suppose you need more than 3 tences). Imperfective verbs are easy, but if you need to say, that something has been done (from the beginning to the end), you need a perfective verb, you need to know what perfective verbs do exist

As a native English (and or Mandarin speaker) who has been learning Russian for fun, I find learning and using the Russian verb tenses, as well as understanding their classification, to be a huge pain. And also prefixes for motion verbs. The declensions aren't easy, but I enjoy the mental challenge. :p

Keep on dousing, judges! #StasiaFan4ever

Maybe Konstantinova will be the Pogo of this decade. Rises into the attention of senior ranks during her first eligible Olympic season (2014, 18) with exciting but unpolished skating. Makes some noise, implodes at the second GP event, puts it together for Nationals, then implodes again at major ISU Championships (2015, 19). Then next season, Stasia might polish her skating more, have a nervy GP series (if she gets assignments that is), nail Nationals to make it to Worlds, then slays at Worlds again.

Thread drift is a remarkable phenomenon. Talking about Russian skating, and an English grammar discussion broke out. :)

As someone with background in machine learning, I want to create a model and algorithm that predicts thread drift :lol:

Tinami Amori

I know this is in Russian but I love how articulate and intelligent in her answers Shcherbakova sounds. No "like", or "you know" equivalents....
https://youtu.be/Q90Gw3p8wB8
Credit to her parents...

Her favorite ladies skater is Asada BTW
Here is the "text" for that interview in English.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt1DSIAnc_G/

(segment)
- What do you think about your rivals?
- I only think about my program. Not about others, because my main goal is to skate cleanly.

- Who is your idol?
- Mao Asada, because she skated beautifully and performed difficult jumps.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
I know this is in Russian but I love how articulate and intelligent in her answers Shcherbakova sounds. No "like", or "you know" equivalents....

I think learning English as a second language makes the person take care with each word they speak. Martina Navratilova had impeccable English for example. I had to laugh at USN when Bradie was doing her press conference and after EVERY sentence she'd say "and umm". I was guilty of that too until I took a speech class in college and every time we'd say "and uhmm" it would be 5 points off!! Yes, Anna has wonderful English and she is so articulate.

Rina RUS

I think learning English as a second language makes the person take care with each word they speak.

I don't think so. :) If one likes saying "well, ..." or "actually", he just needs to learn these words - and he will be successfully using them in both languages he speaks. I do use and I do translate such words.

(Usually I do translate. Sometimes I needed to make an idea clearer. It even happened, that I had to add those words which a speaker showed with his hands). :)

Tinami Amori

I think learning English as a second language makes the person take care with each word they speak.
from personal observations and experience, that part that you mentioned is strictly individual and has to do with personality rather than a fact that "learning english makes one more careful". Some people study a foreign language for years and yet reluctant to speak, or when do, they speak very conservatively... and some people learn 10 words and go out there trying to communicate as much as possible, not afraid to make mistakes, practicing and picking up new words..

Anna in general has a very pleasant style of speaking, in Russian or English.
https://vk.com/shcherbakova_anna?z=video-85198136_456239502/4cd8911974f87dbe52/pl_wall_-85198136

https://vk.com/shcherbakova_anna?z=video-85198136_456239501/1319cff7aa5a271440/pl_wall_-85198136
"I have not had a chance to try local (bosnian) food. No, i am not on a diet, just did not have much time... The one restaurant i did go to was Italian...."... :D

From what is out on social media, Anna has an amazing family; her mother and father take her and her younger sister all over the world, visiting cultural sites, museums, galleries, exhibitions, etc.. from very young age. and all the girls at the rink love Anna.... this link is a bunch of fotos from the rink, and from the travels, + rescue dogs they have.
https://vk.com/shcherbakova_anna?z=album-85198136_213206123

Last edited:

RoseRed

I don't think so. :) If one likes saying "well, ..." or "actually", he just needs to learn these words - and he will be successfully using them in both languages he speaks. I do use and I do translate such words.

(Usually I do translate. Sometimes I needed to make an idea clearer. It even happened, that I had to add those words which a speaker showed with his hands). :)
That's true. I say "comme" in French sometimes when I would say "like" in English.

Rina RUS

They are two clowns now. :):) That's what I love about them!

Tatiana's post for the Saint Valentine's Day is even funnier than Alexei's posts. Her text to the photo says something like this: "Many want to have beautiful love, but not everyone manages to get through everyday-monotonous-love testing! Happy Saint Valentine's Day!"
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt3RDejl6JX/ :yikes:

As for Alexei, it is funny, that he makes any posts - and it is funny he keeps insisting Saint Valentine's Day isn't important:
"Who cares what Day it is? Just do love.... always...."
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt3X0EfHXX6/
He is extremely stubborn. :yikes: Yet he can be obedient.

They are extremely funny and beautiful.

and they try to help others to be happy too... :)

Tinami Amori

Is there a thread for the Russian Cup Final?
I am sure there will be one, but there is no final list of those who will attend. Only a list of "invited" and "those who filed initial application". The tickets to the Senior Ladies events have sold out, people are reporting "not even side seats are available". The expectation is Tuk/Med battle + few girls with 3A and other tricks up their sleeves.
--
Aleksei Mishin is getting annoyed at the insinuations and questions about Tuktamysheva’s participation in Russian Cup Finals, and her spot on the World Team. After Tuk’s fairly successful season 2018, when she became ill and withdrew from Russian Nationals, the Russian Federation told Mishin “take care of her, and get her ready for Worlds”. All indicated that her spot is guaranteed, if she recovers. She recovered, skated and won Gold at Dragon Trophy, although not with the highest score, and with a botched landing on her 3A.

Now the media is after Mishin, because his team has not confirmed if Tuk is going to the Russian Cup Finals. She is on the list of participants, but have not officially confirmed. Mishin possibly did not expect her to have a skate-off with anyone, given he was told "get her ready for the Worlds".

https://www.sportsdaily.ru/news/ale...eva-na-chm-etogo-voprosa-ya-ot-vas-ne-slyshal
“Sports Day to Day/Sports Daily” publication’s journalist contacted Mishin to ask questions, and here is part of the dialogue that took place:

Rus
– Поедет ли Елизавета Туктамышева на финал Кубка России?
– Этого вопроса я от вас не слышал, следующий.

– Софье Самодуровой гарантировано место на чемпионате мира?
- Задавайте вопрос Федерации.

Eng
Q: Will Elizaveta Tukhtamysheva participate in the Russian Cup Final?
M: (I’ll pretend) you did not ask me this question. Next..

Q: Is Sofia Samodurova guaranteed a place on the World Team?
M: Pose this question to the Federation.

:D

barbarafan

I am sure there will be one, but there is no final list of those who will attend. Only a list of "invited" and "those who filed initial application". The tickets to the Senior Ladies events have sold out, people are reporting "not even side seats are available". The expectation is Tuk/Med battle + few girls with 3A and other tricks up their sleeves.
--
Aleksei Mishin is getting annoyed at the insinuations and questions about Tuktamysheva’s participation in Russian Cup Finals, and her spot on the World Team. After Tuk’s fairly successful season 2018, when she became ill and withdrew from Russian Nationals, the Russian Federation told Mishin “take care of her, and get her ready for Worlds”. All indicated that her spot is guaranteed, if she recovers. She recovered, skated and won Gold at Dragon Trophy, although not with the highest score, and with a botched landing on her 3A.

Now the media is after Mishin, because his team has not confirmed if Tuk is going to the Russian Cup Finals. She is on the list of participants, but have not officially confirmed. Mishin possibly did not expect her to have a skate-off with anyone, given he was told "get her ready for the Worlds".

https://www.sportsdaily.ru/news/ale...eva-na-chm-etogo-voprosa-ya-ot-vas-ne-slyshal
“Sports Day to Day/Sports Daily” publication’s journalist contacted Mishin to ask questions, and here is part of the dialogue that took place:

Rus
– Поедет ли Елизавета Туктамышева на финал Кубка России?
– Этого вопроса я от вас не слышал, следующий.

– Софье Самодуровой гарантировано место на чемпионате мира?
- Задавайте вопрос Федерации.

Eng

Q: Is Sofia Samodurova guaranteed a place on the World Team?
M: Pose this question to the Federation.

:D

I think I am with Mishin on this. She did one event showing she is very competitive. It will take longer B4 she is back to full strength as that is how pneumonia works. She should be training quietly- no stress and complete rest when not training. To go through the prep. of another competition so soon will retard her progress and she may skate brilliantly at the finals and then have nothing left in the tank for worlds. So the Fed is big boys and girls. After seeing her skate at Dragon Trophy they can figure out how she will be in X #of weeks . Med will skate at the Finals & then Fed can judge by how much progress there is from nationals so where she may be X #of weeks til worlds.

Japanfan

Right, those are the articles that makes me worried for him.

But if has committed federal crimes, shouldn't he bear the consequences?

White collar criminals far too often get away with their crimes.

And if being under investigation means restrictions on travel, it would suck for Zhulin's athletes, but he's not beyond the law (one hopes, in any case).

Mad for Skating

Maybe Konstantinova will be the Pogo of this decade. Rises into the attention of senior ranks during her first eligible Olympic season (2014, 18) with exciting but unpolished skating. Makes some noise, implodes at the second GP event, puts it together for Nationals, then implodes again at major ISU Championships (2015, 19). Then next season, Stasia might polish her skating more, have a nervy GP series (if she gets assignments that is), nail Nationals to make it to Worlds, then slays at Worlds again.

I love this idea! I can definitely see it with Stasia - she has a lot more potential than people give her credit for.

As a Sofia uber, I'm so happy that she's become the reliable one this season. :respec: Keep it up, kiddo!

She’s my favorite Russian lady this season. How can you not love her?

In the words of Ariana Grande: thank u, next.

This is supposedly the entry list for the Russian Cup Final. There is another tab at the bottom for juniors. No Sergei :(

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/149k0aHqlqqQLpG2nzvIHSxZe_vemZbyrLP2t7pRx0Yg/

😢 but he will come back next season and kill it, and kill it again, and in the Olympic year he’ll have the quad loop mastered so he can get one of the spots.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
btw, I have not seen any Koola King posts even in youtube for months now ?

My first guess will be, she finally got what she was coming for, a russian patriot/hacker probably hacked her account.
lets just hope his/her credit card accounts weren't stolen. lmao

the poor guy/girl probably is scared now to post

SkateFanBerlin

So glad you posted it. This is the first major (relatively) Figure Skating event to take place in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Sakhalin Island and/or in the Russian Far East. I believe the event is intended to cover the Eastern part of Russian territory and connect with Asian Figure Skating community. Technically Russia is "Eurasia" and is present both continents, and yet it is harder for younger skaters in the Far East to participate in european-section events, for a number of reasons. So it is rather an effort to cover "both ends". But it seems to be "just the beginning" and top young skaters from the western/european side are good for the image and popularity, and... should not be excluded based on geography.. Hopefully at the next event there will be skaters from Japan, Korea, China, and other asian countries, even maybe Australia...

There are skating clubs in Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, and Yuzhno-Sakhalins, with some very promising young skaters.
In Khabarovsk there is a skating school "Pirouette" and two ice rinks
http://xn--27-vlc1agmg4f.xn--p1ai/
and three ice arenas, like Platinum Arena and others..
https://i.imgur.com/zCfEZ3A.jpg

Vladivostock has a nice modern arena and FS school - "Polius"
https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/aiger1/slenergy/uploads/common/2016/03/17/Сайт-Домоцентр.jpg

and FS school.. "Metelitza"
http://fk-metelitsa.com/home

Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk is a bit behind, managed to build only one practice rink, one skating school and one main arena, but it is a small population area.

Recently Adelina Sotnikova was sponsored to come to Sakhalin and teach younger groups for girls and boys.
https://primamedia.ru/f/big/1638/1637651.jpg
http://stimol.admsakhalin.ru/uploads/pics/IMG_9404_02.JPG

The rink in Sakhalin is also called "Krystal", almost like "Chrystalny" at Sambo-70. and the girls there love Alina Zagitova.. :Dhttp://ikristall.ru/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/DSC054961.jpg ... she said she wants to be a coach, so maybe she can coach in the Far East..
--
more on the current event itself...
Samsonov's FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxvhgBWhDZw
Rukhin's FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjKXV1uRHJE

Medal Ceremonies
Boys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADb-hqVtPj0
Girls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JJAjYimaQQ

Girls' programmes videos
1st Young You (Korea) FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSYOtnRBr0g
2nd Kanysheva FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-th8hhsYs
3rd Sinytsyna FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOivIzq11YQ

Few other interesting girls...
Lee/ Korea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hRgvEh5Qj4
Vakhitova/Ru - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ggNLglg4c
Kadyrova/Ru - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiuLP0IehhI
Sheveleva/Ru - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY8-ONW6MhY
Anufrieva/Ru - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvjqPh2QW80
Batiyaeva/Ru - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZcEqPxLOeE
Wow you're knowledge and range are staggering. You're like a Russian Sylvia!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information