From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
If i reply to this comment in a manner it deserves, there certainly will be some kind of Mr. Knightley-wanna-be, who will say "Badly done, Emma".. ;)

Reply to the comment in the manner you feel it deserves. You usually don't show such restraint. lol (PS I hated Emma)

Last edited by a moderator:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Calm down, everyone. In my opinion, they just sent the European entry list, because they didn't want to show any preference for either Lisa Tuktamysheva or Evgenia Medvedeva before having made their decision. It doesn't mean a thing who is named on the team and who is an alternate right now.
Stasia Konstantinova went to the Russian Cup Final to fight for a spot and I think it was good that she did that. It was her own wish. It didn't work out as we know and I'm pretty sure she will be exchanged and she for sure knows that as well. Even at Europeans she said she knows her chances to go to Worlds are very slim.
Gubanova still has a chance! :D

Eislauffan

Gubanova still has a chance! :D

No, she doesn't have a chance. She is not named as a substitute. You need to be on it in order to replace someone as the entry list is closed now. I wonder actually why they didn't name her. They could have named three skaters as substitutes.
They did not name Sergei Voronov as a substitute anymore, so that means he is definitely out. I don't see them making any changes to the Men's team. Dmitri Aliev and Andrei Lazukin were less than stellar than this season and by any means not more consistent than Mikhail Kolyada, Alexander Samarin or Maxim Kovtun. If Mikhail somehow gets his act together he has the best chances for a good placement of all of them.

Tinami Amori

They did not name Sergei Voronov as a substitute anymore, so that means he is definitely out.
Last news i read about Sergey Voronov, end of Jan. 2019, he was not working with any specific coach, and skating on his own time at the CSKA rink. Recently with in a week's frame (?) there was a photo of him skiing at some resort. I don't think he considered participating at the Worlds this year. but maybe there is some other info about him.

Eislauffan

Last news i read about Sergey Voronov, end of Jan. 2019, he was not working with any specific coach, and skating on his own time at the CSKA rink. Recently with in a week's frame (?) there was a photo of him skiing at some resort. I don't think he considered participating at the Worlds this year. but maybe there is some other info about him.

I didn't mean he retired, but that he is definitely out for Worlds this season. He was mostly training by himself all season apparently, getting some advice from Elena Buianova in between and working with his choreographer. I also saw a photo of him on Instagram recently, I believe he was in Vladivostok.
We don't know the status of his injury and whether he plans on continuing or turning to coaching. Apparently he didn't think he would get a chance for the World team (maybe because of his injury or because of the Federation not wanting him really - just speculating). I hope he is healthy and will do what he wants to do.

Tinami Amori

I didn't mean he retired, but that he is definitely out for Worlds this season. He was mostly training by himself all season apparently, getting some advice from Elena Buianova in between and working with his choreographer. I also saw a photo of him on Instagram recently, I believe he was in Vladivostok.
Interesting... Maybe he went to "Metelitza" Skating Centre to check on coaching work?? Viktor Adonaev works there now, and he used to work at "Sambo-70" with Tutberidze and Tzareva, about the time when Voronov was there.

Just speculating, but a coaching work for Voronov, in a new and developing region, far from Mos/Len, maybe a good move. Figure Skating is picking up in the Russian Far East.

feraina

It just occurred to me. When Medvedeva stayed after Russian Nationals for a surprisingly long time, was she training at CSKA? I wondered what that was all about, since one would think it was paramount for her to get as much training in with her coaches as possible at this juncture, instead of training on her own without a coach? Maybe it’s part of her being an honorary CSKA skater, and somehow CSKA and her own funding are dependent on this link? And that is why there’s so much indecision right now? Maybe it’s not just Tarasova but CSKA fighting on her behalf? CSKA hasn’t had a prominent ladies skater for a while, has it?

barbarafan

It just occurred to me. When Medvedeva stayed after Russian Nationals for a surprisingly long time, was she training at CSKA? I wondered what that was all about, since one would think it was paramount for her to get as much training in with her coaches as possible at this juncture, instead of training on her own without a coach? Maybe it’s part of her being an honorary CSKA skater, and somehow CSKA and her own funding are dependent on this link? And that is why there’s so much indecision right now? Maybe it’s not just Tarasova but CSKA fighting on her behalf? CSKA hasn’t had a prominent ladies skater for a while, has it?
I think I read on instagram that it was felt by team to stay a bit would be good for her. She had trained at CSKA when she was younger and it is close to home. She had training plan from Brian and vids were sent to him and they talked all the time. Tarasova helped out too and maybe someone else(I forget)and she kept all her training up. Nothing was mentioned about being obliged In anyway.

zebraswan

We don't know the status of his injury and whether he plans on continuing or turning to coaching. Apparently he didn't think he would get a chance for the World team (maybe because of his injury or because of the Federation not wanting him really - just speculating). I hope he is healthy and will do what he wants to do.

He is on vacation now and I'm sure he's coming back next season (his student posted that he is continuing his career & she posts clips of him skating, just don't know if he is back to jumping yet). He went to Vladivostok (not for the first time) and somewhere in Poland for a little bit for coaching. I believe it was just better to be safe than sorry and allow ample recovery time for the injury, especially since there was probably little chance of him making the team anyway...just based on precedent.

Dobre

If I remember the post in this thread correctly, I believe the original quote we got for his recovery time was that it would be four months. (And that was sometime in December after the GPF).

RoseRed

I think I read on instagram that it was felt by team to stay a bit would be good for her. She had trained at CSKA when she was younger and it is close to home. She had training plan from Brian and vids were sent to him and they talked all the time. Tarasova helped out too and maybe someone else(I forget)and she kept all her training up. Nothing was mentioned about being obliged In anyway.
I believe Brian or Javi said something about her getting her back treated in Russia as well.

Tinami Amori

it's what @barbarafan said. Med also stayed in Moscow because she had some media appearances on a radio show, (link below), appearance at game (next link) and some videos to be recorded on a tv channel (maybe "Ice Age - Kids" announcements?).
https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-...00aae0d2d6_5c3a65c511006c00aae0d2da/scale_600
https://m.championat.com/news/sport/basketball/3653019/

She used CSKA out of convenience, and because TAT is there most of the time, and was helping her with training. She can train at one of the two rinks which belong to Sambo-70 Club (only one of them is her old rink "Khristalny", the other one is a different rink) as she is officially a member there and has ice time, but she chose CSKA, probably because it would be easier for Tarasova to consult her there.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsz0SN5Hqbf/?utm_source=ig_embed

(no conspiracy, all is square).. :lol:

feraina

I believe Brian or Javi said something about her getting her back treated in Russia as well.
Oh that makes sense. Health care in North America would be expensive, depending on what kind of health plan she qualifies for in Canada, if any. So yes. I bet she does have substantial political backing from CSKA, and her backers are probably saying, why bother asking her to fly back to compete in RCF, if winning it is not going to help her secure a spot on the worlds team.

Tinami Amori

Oh that makes sense. Health care in North America would be expensive, depending on what kind of health plan she qualifies for in Canada, if any. So yes. I bet she does have substantial political backing from CSKA, and her backers are probably saying, why bother asking her to fly back to compete in RCF, if winning it is not going to help her secure a spot on the worlds team.
She did fly back to Canada after Russian Nationals, on the same day the European started, and then flied back to Russia for the Cup Final.

all_empty

Does anyone know how Sofia Samodurova is training? I'm glad she is having such a great season, after being a middle-tier junior last year.

I think like Sarah Hughes, she's really taking advantage of being just older than the next crop of skating stars and able to compete senior. The experience will do her well.

She's consistent but far more interesting to watch than "consistent" skaters like Maria Sotskova. I have a sneaking suspicion she'll do quite well at Worlds, actually.

lala

@Tinami Amori

What is going on the sport.ru forum? Unfortunately the google translater (and my poor Russian) doesn't help to understand perfectly

Tinami Amori

@Tinami Amori

What is going on the sport.ru forum? Unfortunately the google translater (and my poor Russian) doesn't help to understand perfectly
There are www.sport.ru and www.sports.ru.

www.sport.ru is a minor site, it posts figure skating info, but very little.

www.sports.ru has many blogs and bloggers (close to 100?), and what they write is not monitored, unless some serious violations are reported, either in the text of the "article" or "in response section".

Many of the bloggers are very hard core fans of a particular skater, the "xxx-bots". Some show strong bias, but stick to "skating issues", and some go "all the way uncontrolled" and post radical stuff.

Lately there is a lot of "radical", so many topics and articles are shut down/eliminate, and some bloggers are suspended or blocked.

If you can't find something you were reading or responding to, or if the list/order of all that has posted suddenly changed, it means that it has been moderated by admins of the site.

Mad for Skating

I really can't believe that Konstantinova would be named to the team, even provisionally, after her meltdowns at Worlds last year and Euros this year. I mean it's not like they don't have other options.

I don’t mind Konstantinova, but she simply hasn’t proved herself this season against the likes of Tuktamysheva. Medvedeva didn’t really earn it this year either, so I think it’s only fair to send Liza.

That's crap. They name Stasia and then they probably withdraw her. Poor girl, that would SUCK.

Although I definitely think Liza deserves the spot, it’s infuriating to think that they’re going to treat Stasia like this. Say what you want about her consistency, but this reminds me of the time they told Sotnikova she was on the Olympic team event, then changed their minds. This isn’t good for an athlete’s mental condition.

Too bad they can't just give up on the men and send three extra ladies instead...

I fully expect to see Medvedeva, Konstantinova, and Gubanova wearing beards and men’s pants at Worlds.

What decade are you posting from?

The Soviet era. I hope the KGB doesn’t come after her for criticizing their darlings.

If i reply to this comment in a manner it deserves, there certainly will be some kind of Mr. Knightley-wanna-be, who will say "Badly done, Emma".. ;)

I actually loved that book. And the BBC adaption with Romola Garai and Johnny Lee Miller was even better.

I'd forge Trusova's right now. :lol: She has the unofficial highest ladies FS score in the world from Russia JR nationals due to her 2 quads. It just doesn't count in international scores. Russia wouldn't have to worry about any spots if she nailed them at SR Worlds rather than JR. Worlds.

That’s not a bad idea...maybe Tinami Amori can call up her Soviet-era friends to forge some passports, I’m sure Stalin and his men can figure something out.

Tinami Amori

That’s not a bad idea...maybe Tinami Amori can call up her Soviet-era friends to forge some passports, I’m sure Stalin and his men can figure something out.
Take your pick: either you'll get a rude dirty joke, or a long story of how he ordered to arrest several of my family members in the early 1950's...

Tinami Amori

Lol I’ll just take the joke and go.
I'll make it "clean": those who evoke the name of "Stalin" and want him back, are not doing it for their own benefit, but against their nasty neighbor.
====

oy..... we can guess for ever what will happen in the World's Team. In nut shell, Russian Federation ideally would want Zag-Med-Tuk on World Team. They can't do it "cleanly" and not set off a internal war, for many reasons. They are not removing Zag (unless she is injured and she is not). They can't remove Sam because she is a Euro-champ.

If pick came between Med and Tuk, they want Tuk. But then they would piss off the "TAT + Med-sponsors" camp. If they leave Tuk behind and appoint Med, they will not only piss off Mishin, but leave him a horrible and unavoidable choice, to pick between Tuk and Sam, and he will have to do it, because the Feds dumped it on him.

They are leaning towards leaving Sam-Zag-Konst (if she does well at Universade) because it will keep peace in the Federation. Even if Konst has less abilities, it will avoid a very major "war" inside the Federation.

This is and has been a circus... it has nothing to do with "sports principles" (I have an opinion who started it, but its been done). But that's how it is.
- Best possible team: Zag-Med-Tuk.
- Best peace-bringing team: Zag-Sam-Konst.
- any option such as "Zag-Sam-Med" or "Zag-Sam-Tuk" means "internal war".

(... and then some one can always hang Tarasova and Co.... but that won't happen either).

:rollin:

hoptoad

This is all very interesting, but there's no danger of Russia sending a weak ladies team no matter what happens.
:watch:
Any three they send should easily qualify three spots and earn two GPs apiece next year. Even if Konstantinova is somewhat weaker than the others, I don't see her finishing out of the top 12.

VenusH.

This is all very interesting, but there's no danger of Russia sending a weak ladies team no matter what happens.
:watch:
Any three they send should easily qualify three spots and earn two GPs apiece next year. Even if Konstantinova is somewhat weaker than the others, I don't see her finishing out of the top 12.
Konst was 19th last year.....

lala

There are www.sport.ru and www.sports.ru.

www.sport.ru is a minor site, it posts figure skating info, but very little.

www.sports.ru has many blogs and bloggers (close to 100?), and what they write is not monitored, unless some serious violations are reported, either in the text of the "article" or "in response section".

Many of the bloggers are very hard core fans of a particular skater, the "xxx-bots". Some show strong bias, but stick to "skating issues", and some go "all the way uncontrolled" and post radical stuff.

Lately there is a lot of "radical", so many topics and articles are shut down/eliminate, and some bloggers are suspended or blocked.

If you can't find something you were reading or responding to, or if the list/order of all that has posted suddenly changed, it means that it has been moderated by admins of the site.

I asked about sports.ru forum. I don't like it because of the style on that forum. Plus when the admins moderate the comments they manipulate the readers at the same time because they delete the negative comments about their favorite and leave the positive there. Or vica versa.
But we can read many informations , too. I asked about this https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/sanitarlesanew/2361490.html

barbarafan

I'll make it "clean": those who evoke the name of "Stalin" and want him back, are not doing it for their own benefit, but against their nasty neighbor.
====

oy..... we can guess for ever what will happen in the World's Team. In nut shell, Russian Federation ideally would want Zag-Med-Tuk on World Team. They can't do it "cleanly" and not set off a internal war, for many reasons. They are not removing Zag (unless she is injured and she is not). They can't remove Sam because she is a Euro-champ.

If pick came between Med and Tuk, they want Tuk. But then they would piss off the "TAT + Med-sponsors" camp. If they leave Tuk behind and appoint Med, they will not only piss off Mishin, but leave him a horrible and unavoidable choice, to pick between Tuk and Sam, and he will have to do it, because the Feds dumped it on him.

They are leaning towards leaving Sam-Zag-Konst (if she does well at Universade) because it will keep peace in the Federation. Even if Konst has less abilities, it will avoid a very major "war" inside the Federation.

This is and has been a circus... it has nothing to do with "sports principles" (I have an opinion who started it, but its been done). But that's how it is.
- Best possible team: Zag-Med-Tuk.
- Best peace-bringing team: Zag-Sam-Konst.
- any option such as "Zag-Sam-Med" or "Zag-Sam-Tuk" means "internal war".

(... and then some one can always hang Tarasova and Co.... but that won't happen either).

:rollin:
Wow....talk about being between a rock and a hard place. Safer to pull names out of a hat. I just hope they let the skaters know soon so they can direct their training accordingly for the next few weeks. Tick tock Tick tock.

Ka3sha

Russian Team For Worlds:
Ladies: Samodurova, Zagitova, Medvedeva
Subs - Tuktamysheva, Konstantinova
Men: Samarin, Kovtun, Kolyada
Subs: Lazukin, Aliev, Voronov
Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiyako/Enbert, Boikova/Kozlovskii
Subs: Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Gallyamov, Efimova/Korovin
Ice Dance: Stepanova/Bukin, Sinitsina/Katsalapov
Subs: Evdokimova/Bazin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, Popova/Mozgov
https://fsrussia.ru/news/4271-ispol...rnoj-rossii-na-chempionat-mira-v-yaponii.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information