From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

Spun Silver

What are they going to tell her? We changed our minds?

They knew the deadline. How long does it take to make a decision when you have two past world champions who skated better than this weak skater? They always hold her up, and now it is getting ridiculous.

Why did they even have the Rus cup final if they were just going to send the same team? It is not like Stasia was stellar there.
It's incredibly cruel to Konstantinova if they really don't plan to send her (and why on earth would they?). I hope she is prepared to be dumped. Poor girl.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
If only this was China and we could forge Kostornaia's passport.
I'd forge Trusova's right now. :lol: She has the unofficial highest ladies FS score in the world from Russia JR nationals due to her 2 quads. It just doesn't count in international scores. Russia wouldn't have to worry about any spots if she nailed them at SR Worlds rather than JR. Worlds.

olympic

To shorthand this - Samodurova and Zagitova are going to Worlds, and most likely only one of Medvedeva or Tuktamysheva will be on the team, swapping out Konstantinova?

Tinami Amori

General Consensus in the "russian figure skating world": Welcome to the Russian Federation Zoo, all is well.
http://sg.uploads.ru/lSFOC.jpg

For the record: during and right after Russian Cup Final it was a MAJOR (former Soviet) Russian Holiday - Defender of the Fatherland Day. Feb 23, 2019. Nobody is expected to gather and hold a meeting on this holiday (even to decide on a team)... Just like nobody is expected Rusada to "work on lab results" like WADA wanted on New Year holidays.

Original news about the team list was confusing. First they said "we sent all eligible names, will decide later". Then they clarified that it is the same list as the "European Team" with further possible modifications.
Everybody is now calling everybody, interviewing, quoting, speculating: some talking, some are not... :D

Few more details to what has already been posted:
- Kogan and Gorshkov at different times this AM, said "we submitted the full list, of all possible participants, the names are listed in alphabetical order. The final names will be announced later, according to ISU rules they can be announced as late as March 18th".

That created a stir, for 2 reasons, first the Russian list and English list are different because of order of letters in the alphabets. Second, because the original list they referred to was the same as European Team, and none of the names are in an alphabetical order in English or Russian.

- Here is the list as it was sent/received in ISU. * means "alternative".
Kostantinova
Medvedeva *
Samodurova
Tuktamisheva *
Zagitova

- Konstantinova still has a Universade to skate in. Those results maybe considered.
- Ladies is not the only issue. Kolyada's 4 falls in Tallin yesterday, are also putting a ?? on the men's team.
- Pairs and dance do not sound like there are any issues. Pairs will go back to the original Euro list before Z/E withdrew.

- Chebotareva got a call from journalists, she hung up, no comments.

- Averbuch was quoted saying that it is the Russian Championship that determines who gets the team assignments, not the secondary event like Russian Cup Finals.
"Sending Konstantinova is the right decision, because Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva did not skate that perfect and had faults".
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1071983709.html

- Anna Pogorilaya said the same "that the official Championship in Russia is Russian Nationals, and Konstantinova, Zagitova and Samodurova were the best". She objects to using Russian Cup Finals as a determining factor, it's unprecedented, and dismisses the role of Nationals.
"Pogorilaya thinks that Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva should not go to Worlds"
https://nevasport.ru/54440-pogorilaya-schitaet-chto-medvedeva-i-tuktamysheva-ne-dolzhny-ehat-na-chm/

Aleksei Mishin was the best!... :D (he got a "provocative call" as if both Samo and Tuk made the team).
https://www.sportsdaily.ru/news/tuk...mishin-shokirovan-zayavkoj-na-chempionat-mira
"Tuktamysheva is an alternative? That does not mean anything" Mishin is shocked about the team announcement.

Q: Congratulations, that your two ladies made the world team (are both on the list).
AM: How do you know that?
Q: The President of the RFSF, Alexandre Gorshkov, made the announcement. That Samodurova is named, and that Tuktamysheva is an alternative.
AM: What alternative? (what do you mean by "alternative?) What did Gorshkov say? Do you have his actual text in front of your eyes? Read it, read it!
Q: Gorshkov said that this is not a final list, there maybe changes. The official ones are Zag, Sam, Konst, and alts are - Tuk and Med.
AM: It means nothing!

Last edited:

Coquelicot14

Now the big question is... what the heck are they going to do if Konstantinova skates the lights out at the Universiade?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Long term, Russia just needs to take Belarus up on its offer. And maybe negotiate an asset transfer with Ukraine to end hostilities.

Tinami Amori

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Dang. Those jumps look so much bigger than what she was doing at Euros/Nationals. :eek: I know it’s practice, but still...
I'm especially impressed by how much height the loop at the end gets! The take off for that is incredibly BANG considering it's already preceded by a 3lz-3t. :eek:
I don't know - she's still working the upper body really hard to get the outside edge on lutz and to get the rotation on those jumps. My questions would be 'How many times did she try before she hit that combination?' & 'What percentage is she hitting?'.

VenusH.

Dang. Those jumps look so much bigger than what she was doing at Euros/Nationals. :eek: I know it’s practice, but still...
If her team did not insist of cramming in zillion pointless transitions for sake of transitions... she'd do so much better. She'd still could get high PCS. Carolina has insane PCS and she is not flapping and flailing through her skates.

I know that rushed version of anything is Eteri's trademark... but meh.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Anyone that can translate what is being said here by Med? https://instagram.com/p/BuT2K3qhebj/ I can see she's thanking her fans, and I can read out Saitama...

Instagram offers a translation. You just have to click on where it says "See translation" and you get "Friends, I just want to say that I'm going to every competition with the thought of victory. This season is no exception. If I will be selected to participate in the world cup, my goal is to be in my best standards at these competitions in saitama. Thank you for your support. Your Zhenya."

BittyBug

Disgusted
Anyone that can translate what is being said here by Med? https://instagram.com/p/BuT2K3qhebj/ I can see she's thanking her fans, and I can read out Saitama...
Per Google translate:

Friends, I just want to say that I am going to every competition with the thought of winning.
This season is no exception.
If I am selected to participate in the World Championships, my goal is to be in my best condition at these competitions in Saitama.
Thanks for your support.
Yours Zhenya.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I don't know - she's still working the upper body really hard to get the outside edge on lutz and to get the rotation on those jumps. My questions would be 'How many times did she try before she hit that combination?' & 'What percentage is she hitting?'.

I'm not saying she's improved her technique. Just that this combo, in isolation, looks so much better than what we've seen from her this season.

I liked @VenusH. 's point about the transitions. I think I remember reading after the Russian test skates, some officials wanted team Eteri to take out some of the transitions, but they refused. I really think it could really help her out simplify and reduce those (ugly!) transitions-- it would probably make the program more aesthetically pleasing as well.

Tinami Amori

Maria Butyrskaya was interviewed. She thinks this is all nonsense, the lack of the final list, the suspended state of the "alternate ladies" and Konstantinova. She said that Tuktamysheva should replace Konstantinova, because the later "is not quite ready to represent the country on the level of World Championship".

MB - "This a torture for Tuktamysheva"
https://www.sportsdaily.ru/news/eto...ie-federaczii-ostavit-tuktamyshevu-v-zapasnyx

Sasha is DIVINE

Maria Butyrskaya was interviewed. She thinks this is all nonsense, the lack of the final list, the suspended state of the "alternate ladies" and Konstantinova. She said that Tuktamysheva should replace Konstantinova, because the later "is not quite ready to represent the country on the level of World Championship".

MB - "This a torture for Tuktamysheva"
https://www.sportsdaily.ru/news/eto...ie-federaczii-ostavit-tuktamyshevu-v-zapasnyx

Masha speaks the truth! Unfortunately, Stasya was already given an opportunity to represent Russia at the World Championships and we all saw how that went. NEVER AGAIN!

olympic

General Consensus in the "russian figure skating world": Welcome to the Russian Federation Zoo, all is well.
http://sg.uploads.ru/lSFOC.jpg

For the record: during and right after Russian Cup Final it was a MAJOR (former Soviet) Russian Holiday - Defender of the Fatherland Day. Feb 23, 2019. Nobody is expected to gather and hold a meeting on this holiday (even to decide on a team)... Just like nobody is expected Rusada to "work on lab results" like WADA wanted on New Year holidays.

Original news about the team list was confusing. First they said "we sent all eligible names, will decide later". Then they clarified that it is the same list as the "European Team" with further possible modifications.
Everybody is now calling everybody, interviewing, quoting, speculating: some talking, some are not... :D

Few more details to what has already been posted:
- Kogan and Gorshkov at different times this AM, said "we submitted the full list, of all possible participants, the names are listed in alphabetical order. The final names will be announced later, according to ISU rules they can be announced as late as March 18th".

That created a stir, for 2 reasons, first the Russian list and English list are different because of order of letters in the alphabets. Second, because the original list they referred to was the same as European Team, and none of the names are in an alphabetical order in English or Russian.

- Here is the list as it was sent/received in ISU. * means "alternative".
Kostantinova
Medvedeva *
Samodurova
Tuktamisheva *
Zagitova

- Konstantinova still has a Universade to skate in. Those results maybe considered.
- Ladies is not the only issue. Kolyada's 4 falls in Tallin yesterday, are also putting a ?? on the men's team.
- Pairs and dance do not sound like there are any issues. Pairs will go back to the original Euro list before Z/E withdrew.

- Chebotareva got a call from journalists, she hung up, no comments.

- Averbuch was quoted saying that it is the Russian Championship that determines who gets the team assignments, not the secondary event like Russian Cup Finals.
"Sending Konstantinova is the right decision, because Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva did not skate that perfect and had faults".
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1071983709.html

- Anna Pogorilaya said the same "that the official Championship in Russia is Russian Nationals, and Konstantinova, Zagitova and Samodurova were the best". She objects to using Russian Cup Finals as a determining factor, it's unprecedented, and dismisses the role of Nationals.
"Pogorilaya thinks that Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva should not go to Worlds"
https://nevasport.ru/54440-pogorilaya-schitaet-chto-medvedeva-i-tuktamysheva-ne-dolzhny-ehat-na-chm/

Aleksei Mishin was the best!... :D (he got a "provocative call" as if both Samo and Tuk made the team).
https://www.sportsdaily.ru/news/tuk...mishin-shokirovan-zayavkoj-na-chempionat-mira
"Tuktamysheva is an alternative? That does not mean anything" Mishin is shocked about the team announcement.

Q: Congratulations, that your two ladies made the world team (are both on the list).
AM: How do you know that?
Q: The President of the RFSF, Alexandre Gorshkov, made the announcement. That Samodurova is named, and that Tuktamysheva is an alternative.
AM: What alternative? (what do you mean by "alternative?) What did Gorshkov say? Do you have his actual text in front of your eyes? Read it, read it!
Q: Gorshkov said that this is not a final list, there maybe changes. The official ones are Zag, Sam, Konst, and alts are - Tuk and Med.
AM: It means nothing!

Thank you. Wow about Kolyada!

NAOTMAA

I'm not her biggest fan but the Konstantinova, and I find the federations constant chance giving weird, but the hate is hilarious and pretty ridiculous. And the idea that she should be eliminated from consideration after the cup final but not Evgenia is even more silly.

1. Her record this season isn't great but its still better then Evgenia's. So why should Evgenia be considered and not Stanislava? Evgenia is not the same skater she was a year ago so bringing up her past successes as a reason to put her over is a total no go.
2. She went to worlds once and bombed, big whoop. A bad result and she should be barred from going ever again, really? If federations acted that way the pool of skaters would be very small and competitions as small as the GPF.
3. She's inconsistent, yes, but how many clean competitions has Evgenia put in this season? Her days of being rock solid are long gone!

If it is Stanislava who ends up going I'll be upset for Liza, who really does deserve to go. The only one who all season long who has proven herself.

Finsta

For a ladies team once called unbeatable it is interesting to see how inconsistent this team now is. What a year Can do

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm not her biggest fan but the Konstantinova, and I find the federations constant chance giving weird, but the hate is hilarious and pretty ridiculous. And the idea that she should be eliminated from consideration after the cup final but not Evgenia is even more silly.

1. Her record this season isn't great but its still better then Evgenia's. So why should Evgenia be considered and not Stanislava? Evgenia is not the same skater she was a year ago so bringing up her past successes as a reason to put her over is a total no go.
2. She went to worlds once and bombed, big whoop. A bad result and she should be barred from going ever again, really? If federations acted that way the pool of skaters would be very small and competitions as small as the GPF.
3. She's inconsistent, yes, but how many clean competitions has Evgenia put in this season? Her days of being rock solid are long gone!

If it is Stanislava who ends up going I'll be upset for Liza, who really does deserve to go. The only one who all season long who has proven herself.

Stasia has bombed more competitions than last year’s worlds. She was 12th after the SP at the recent Europeans where the field was not that competitive. She pulled up to 4th or 5th in the end but it just goes to show that she is a risk. This is not the first time she bombed the SP, and the RSF judges gave her insanely high marks in the LP to make her final placement respectable. It is unfair to skaters who actually skated better than her.

Zhenya has struggled this season but she has shown improvement and we already know that she is mentally tough. She wouldn’t be my choice for worlds 2019 but she is likely to be much better next season,

Liza should have been selected for worlds without any if or but, as long as she proved herself to be healthy. It is an insult to her to be an alternate, while inconsistent Stasia gets to go. It is not like she was beaten by Stasia at the nationals. She was sick and unable to compete.

I am not saying Stasia should be thrown out but she needs to prove herself as a consistent skater. In a competitive field of the Russian ladies their fed has other options. They don’t Have to select Stasia for worlds, but that is exactly what they did. It is baffling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information