From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

Tinami Amori

Some news about Trusova, for a change... :D

1) Plushenko posted a short video clip, how he is teaching a young girl to do quads using Trusova's technique.
He shows her the video of her jump. Explains what to do. Then says: "you've seen how, right? you had an example, good example! now you go and do it! you just need to, just need to measure up to those girls!"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuMNxb4B_5_/

The girl is Sonya Titova, last time she skated in a competition she had only or mostly doubles..... :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At00f8848R0

2) Interview in English with Alexandra Trusova
https://yp.scmp.com/news/sports/art...bout-her-training-become-figure-skating-champ

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Depth can be a country's worst enemy at the world championships or Olympics.

I'm reminded of the US ladies figure skaters in 1988 and the US women's gymnastics team in 2004.

The competition to either make the team or be #1 was so intense that athletes either peaked physically at Nationals/Trials, got injured, or lost confidence from the constant, unending competition.

Countries would do well to establish clear selection criteria, even if it means spelling out that returning recent World or Olympic Champions have a relaxed standard.

Last edited:

Dobre

Countries would do well to establish clear selection criteria, even if it means spelling out that returning it recent World or Olympic Champions have a relaxed standard.

They don't want to spell that out. They want to be able to leave the Omelianchiks off the team if they want. And they want to be able to put the Kwans on it if they want.

Taso

They don't want to spell that out. They want to be able to leave the Omelianchiks off the team if they want. And they want to be able to put the Kwans on it if they want.
It makes me respect the Japanese selection process more now. I was baffled by choosing Ando over Nakano back in the day (cant remember if that was 2006 or 2010) but at least they knew what was going on two months in advance.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
It makes me respect the Japanese selection process more now. I was baffled by choosing Ando over Nakano back in the day (cant remember if that was 2006 or 2010) but at least they knew what was going on two months in advance.

No way. Nakano deserved that spot, hands down. It was cruel to have Yukari off the team. And Ando ended bombing anyway.

My favorite performance of hers. It kills my soul a little bit each time I see this and see how she was marked.... :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ANuxqHXNk

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Maybe if they trained them to peak as seniors instead of as juniors . . .
Rika Kihira is not going to like your comment, she is the same age, and is 1 month apart in birthday from Zagitova... :D

I am sure Tara Lipinski (14) and Sarah Hughes (16) when they won Olympics won't appreciate it either.

Speaking of which.... Zag and Med were SENIORS when they won Gold and Silver last year..:rofl:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Rika Kihira is not going to like your comment, she is the same age, and is 1 month apart in birthday from Zagitova... :D

I am sure Tara Lipinski (14) and Sarah Hughes (16) when they won Olympics won't appreciate it either.

Speaking of which.... Zag and Med were SENIORS when they won Gold and Silver last year..:rofl:
Lipinski was 15 when she won the OGM.

Finsta

That is why Medvedeva is the two time world champion and Zagitova is the Olympic champion...It is not like US is doing very well with peaking athletes for Seniors, or for that matter juniors.

I’m not US. I go to university in US but my post wasn’t US vs Russian post. I am shocked by quick fall of the Russian ladies. Once unbeatable. Now we wait for the junior girls to save them. How long will the junior girls win. Will these new juniors last for the Olympics? Time tells.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
What about the men? What has Kovtun accomplished this season? Not much. If I were allowed to choose, I think I'd send silver fox Voronov instead of Kovtun. He is usually more consistent.

I think Voronov has an injury. Not sure what his status is.

Dobre

This is bad. La Tuk DESERVES that world spot. Maybe is her last chance to be able to compete at that level with all the wonderquad girls moving to seniors.

Think "Mirai," Braulio. Sometimes the ladies people assume are on their last chance are actually the ones with the most determination to get where they want to go. (I think Liza should go too. I think they should go with solid, and she has been this season. And gutsy as well).

If I were allowed to choose, I think I'd send silver fox Voronov instead of Kovtun. He is usually more consistent.

Voronov is out injured. If he wasn't, I'm sure he would be under consideration.

Tinami Amori

This is bad. La Tuk DESERVES that world spot. Maybe is her last chance to be able to compete at that level with all the wonderquad girls moving to seniors.
La Tuk lost out in the self-marketing campaign. She did not have the same "manipulator of the image" on her payroll as Med did (Med's mother did).

Face it... it's like "Charo" vs. "Lynda Carter"... :D different crowd manipulation while they are both half dressed....

https://media2.giphy.com/media/h2J56iG0PBqcE/giphy.gif

https://grizzlybomb.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/lynda-carter-wonder-woman.gif

D

Deleted member 40371

I’m not US. I go to university in US but my post wasn’t US vs Russian post. I am shocked by quick fall of the Russian ladies. Once unbeatable. Now we wait for the junior girls to save them. How long will the junior girls win. Will these new juniors last for the Olympics? Time tells.
Let's see it with a critical eye on everyone, even a less than stellar Russian showing had them finish 1-2-4 at the europeans. More than likely Konstantinova is going to be replaced by GPF medalist or reigning Olympic silver medal. Liza Tukt was sick at the Nationals, hence was not in conversation for Europeans; Medvedeva has a difficult first half of the season but seems to getting the mojo back (i have my doubts about her in the world team).

Now let's us look at Americans, they are super inconsistent and if they all skate to best or worst, Russians will come out on top.At present condition, It will need Americans to skate well and Russians to have melt down for Americans to finish ahead, the odds are better for US to have meltdown on this as Bradie and Bell equally have had problems with UR and falls, at least Samudrova is consistent in Russia, Tukt's problems are 3axel and has fewer UR problems (if she is selected).

Canada is a non factor this year, whole team has been train-wrecks. The question is will they drop down to one athlete for next year. Korea is good team but still lost to Americans at 4cc, in few years they may be a factor. So that leaves Tursy and Japan. Tursy may surprise but I think a good skate by Russians can beat them. Japan is likely to feature prominently in the top ranks. Again, looking critically at Japanese team, Satoko is very vulnerable to a good caller, doesn't have to be strict, and her last outing wan't great either. Sakomoto score does not change much even when she does well (4cc), so she will need help to win medal (a help based on this year's performance others are happy to provide)... That leaves just Kihira who can get away with falls (even she did not get to her expected score at the last competition).

This year have had highly inconsistent performances, Japanese are doing well, but Japanese are unlikely to clean sweep and Russians are the one likely to win a medal other than Japanese. As for juniors winning, they have looooong list of them, now the problem is seniors are getting loooong and no athlete can afford a bad skate..

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jeschke

What has Kovtun acomplished this season? Not much.
Winning nationals (and his only challenger) is not much? Okay.
(At Euors he ****ed up when it matters, but yeah, he delivered the other time it mattered, so...)

Nationals should be worth something still. And I don't write this as a Stasia-campaign; but winning nationals (or being best senior-eligible in the ladies) should get you safe to euors/worlds.

whiteskates

Winning nationals (and his only challenger) is not much? Okay.
(At Euors he ****ed up when it matters, but yeah, he delivered the other time it mattered, so...)

Nationals should be worth something still. And I don't write this as a Stasia-campaign; but winning nationals (or being best senior-eligible in the ladies) should get you safe to euors/worlds.

Yes, I know he won nationals but he has still been very inconsistent and often **** up. I'm biased, I know :) ! I have always had a soft spot for Voronov but never took to Kovtun.

whiteskates

And that would separate him from the rest of the Russian men's field how?

Ha, ha... the Russian men have not been at their best lately, that's for sure. I had high hopes for Kolyada but no... he doesn't deliever in competition. Do they all suffer from nerves or what is it?

Eislauffan

Calm down, everyone. In my opinion, they just sent the European entry list, because they didn't want to show any preference for either Lisa Tuktamysheva or Evgenia Medvedeva before having made their decision. It doesn't mean a thing who is named on the team and who is an alternate right now.
Stasia Konstantinova went to the Russian Cup Final to fight for a spot and I think it was good that she did that. It was her own wish. It didn't work out as we know and I'm pretty sure she will be exchanged and she for sure knows that as well. Even at Europeans she said she knows her chances to go to Worlds are very slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information