From Russia with love [#29]: Spring 2018 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eislauffan

There was a radio interview with Mikhail Kolyada and someone was so nice to type it up, apparently (in Russian):
http://flutz.ru/mikhail-kolyada-v-sled-sezone-popytaus-naiti-novyi-obraz/

Some interesting and fun tidbits:
Sounds like he has picked his new programs, one program will be more classical and the other one something new and different for him (he says nothing about the music, of course)
He feels men should have 8 jumps and not 7 (as it is in a proposed rule change), because men should do more jumps than women LOL (he should watch out for the Russian quad jumping girls!) ;-)
As a kid he once forgot part of his program and just somehow carried on
He wanted to quit a few times when he was younger, because he was bored by the training and didn't have much success
He is impressed by Japanese fans and their support and all the presents skaters get

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
There was a radio interview with Mikhail Kolyada and someone was so nice to type it up, apparently (in Russian):
http://flutz.ru/mikhail-kolyada-v-sled-sezone-popytaus-naiti-novyi-obraz/

Some interesting and fun tidbits:
Sounds like he has picked his new programs, one program will be more classical and the other one something new and different for him (he says nothing about the music, of course)
He feels men should have 8 jumps and not 7 (as it is in a proposed rule change), because men should do more jumps than women LOL (he should watch out for the Russian quad jumping girls!) ;-)
As a kid he once forgot part of his program and just somehow carried on
He wanted to quit a few times when he was younger, because he was bored by the training and didn't have much success
He is impressed by Japanese fans and their support and all the presents skaters get

I’m :rolleyes: over the men vs. women comment because any of Tutberidze’s young ones would leave him in the dust, but I hope that his choreo this upcoming season measures up, it always seems like he has so much natural talent that is ideal for this sport yet his presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

lala

I do hope this "tiny girls doing quads" thing doesn't become a "tiny girls who permanently injure themselves on quads and retire before they're 15" thing.

I hope, too.. they are very tiny, lightweight..probably this protects from the injuries..

starrynight

I think probably the bench mark of whether quads will become the new norm and an established part of ladies skating is if we have a skater who is 20 years old or so who has kept them as part of her repertoire. We probably won't know this for at least 7 years or so. Or maybe longer if the experiment has to start again with a new batch of girls.

Until then, we may probably have a peculiar situation where Junior Ladies is it's own highly significant dominion where gold medals and achievements are probably viewed as the end goal as opposed to just being a stepping stone into seniors.

As a side note, I think people would generally be more enthusiastic about these achievements if it didn't all come from a camp where the girls are viewed as disposable.

NAOTMAA

I doubt quads will ever be a common occurrence among the ladies even with the fast technical advancements. It will be something like the 3A. Every few years a lady, or two, will come and do them and then we get dry spells and then another comes. It's been 34 years since Midori Ito landed the first 3A in competition and yet we can still count the number of ladies who did them successfully in competition, on a consistent basis, on one hand.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Medical care, knowledge and whatever is needed to get an athlete to the top keeps on advancing with time. I don’t find the tiny girl argument to hold much validity, of course there will be injury when attempting to raise the technical standard in a sport but I think that in a couple of Olympic cycles you will need a quad to be an olympic podium threat in the women’s category.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Why would 20 be the benchmark when, with the right timing, a 15-, 16-, or 17- year old can compete for the OMG in her 1st-3rd season and an 11-13-year old body is optimal for getting the technique down?

Tinami Amori

As a side note, I think people would generally be more enthusiastic about these achievements if it didn't all come from a camp where the girls are viewed as disposable.
That is a myth and an invention coming from few groups of people (who have their own agenda). There are no disposable girls in "that camp", have not been, nor will be. It is a lie without any merit and some keep spreading it for their own convenience.

Tinami Amori

Tara Lipinski was what I call tiny little girl doing too much triple loop-triple loop and being that size didn’t matter when she got her hip surgeries...
Tara injured her hip during a show rehearsal and yes, given the efforts put into many hard jumps her hip bones were more fragile. She states so herself, and says "she would NOT have it any other way! The Gold Medal was worth it"... :D
From the horse's mouth... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvpdKT9zKW0

Every elite level sport except chess and curling, and few others, has serious impact on the body.. I've seen ski-jumpers break their neck right on a slope..

Today most top skaters from 15th to 1st place at the Worlds do multiple 3-ple jumps..... and there is no epidemic of hip surgeries... :lol:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Loboda/Drozd are now training with Krylova.

Also Sofia Polishuk has teamed up with Grigory YAKUSHEV. ( can be seen in this Instagram post of Krylova's group)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiFgZt_B9IW/?taken-by=katerina_kuznitsina

Ksenia KONKINA (Yakusehev's former partner) has teamed up with Alexander VAKHNOV ( Polushuk's former partner)
(so effectively the 2 teams have switched partners)

Konkina and Vakhnov will be coached by Svetlana Liapina.

Not forgetting Betina Popova and Sergei Mozgov who have also moved to Krylova

Last edited:

Taso

I'm curious - since Tchaikovskaya seems partly responsible for bringing Krylova on, and Rumaniantseva's top teams are all moving to her, is it possible they are really the same group? I have no insider info at all, just curious.

ChiquitaBanana

Tara injured her hip during a show rehearsal and yes, given the efforts put into many hard jumps her hip bones were more fragile. She states so herself, and says "she would NOT have it any other way! The Gold Medal was worth it"... :D
From the horse's mouth... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvpdKT9zKW0

Every elite level sport except chess and curling, and few others, has serious impact on the body.. I've seen ski-jumpers break their neck right on a slope..

Today most top skaters from 15th to 1st place at the Worlds do multiple 3-ple jumps..... and there is no epidemic of hip surgeries... :lol:

Triple loop in combination put atletes more prine to hip injuries because of the torque applied to the hip.

Mai Miyahara, Fleur Maxwell, Alyssa Czisny, Naomi Nari Nam, Michelle Kwan, Alexei Yagudin, Ksenia Makarova, Tim Goebel, Todd Eldredge, Kevin Reynolds, Deanna Stellato, Yuna Kim, Johnny Weir, Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA , Evan Lysacek, Plushenko, Elvis Stojko, Jennifer Kirk, Nathan Chen...

Some got suregery, the others didn't but were sidelined for hip injury. There are much more, but I got tired of searching... :p

hanca

Values her privacy
Triple loop in combination put atletes more prine to hip injuries because of the torque applied to the hip.

Mai Miyahara, Fleur Maxwell, Alyssa Czisny, Naomi Nari Nam, Michelle Kwan, Alexei Yagudin, Ksenia Makarova, Tim Goebel, Todd Eldredge, Kevin Reynolds, Deanna Stellato, Yuna Kim, Johnny Weir, Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA , Evan Lysacek, Plushenko, Elvis Stojko, Jennifer Kirk, Nathan Chen...

Some got suregery, the others didn't but were sidelined for hip injury. There are much more, but I got tired of searching... :p
How exactly do you know know that all those skaters had the hip damage caused by jumping triple loop as a second jump in combination? I had hip surgery from skating, and trust me that it wasn’t from loop-loop combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information