From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

Yehudi

AITA
That one was pretty cool, but no thanks to the hosts. If they get a skater who is not that open minded, so confident, well spoken and funny it will be endlessly tedious.

It maybe works because the female host is actually friends with many of the skaters, so they probably feel comfortable talking to her about stuff like Tatoos and hippie parents, and trust she isn’t crying in some bathroom over a perceived slight

Sasha is DIVINE

Maria is so gorgeous. I love her so much!! <3 I hear her English is wonderful but there aren't any interviews of her on Youtube that appear to be more recent than from a couple of years ago. I bet it is even better now than it was back then.

Japanfan

As great of a skater Patrick Chan is, he does not look aesthetically pleasing on ice (to me) because of his short stocky legs which are too short for his torso... http://www.insideskating.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/3-Patrick-Chan-SP-2016-Finlandia-Trophy.jpg

:confused: His legs are really not short and stocky IMO. I think Patrick is very well-proportioned and has a beautiful body.

Kovtun's butt and waist are too big... he always looks like he ate a healthy dinner.

Again, :confused:

Last edited:

shady82

:eek: Wow. The JPGF for ladies was so impressive. I won't be surprised if the podium at Nationals is Medvedeva, Trusova, and Kostornaya (assuming the juniors are going to Nationals).

hanca

Values her privacy
Why would have thought that Panfilova/Rylov will be the top placing Russian pair at JGPF. Every time they attended a competition this season, Russian federation gave them the lowest PCS from all JGP competitors, to ensure that pairs like Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Yalin will finish above them.

Madison25

Why would have thought that Panfilova/Rylov will be the top placing Russian pair at JGPF. Every time they attended a competition this season, Russian federation gave them the lowest PCS from all JGP competitors, to ensure that pairs like Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Yalin will finish above them.
Maybe because they don't have triples as SBS jumps?:confused:

hanca

Values her privacy
Maybe because they don't have triples as SBS jumps?:confused:
Yes, it seemed to me that at the Russian cups the federation was marking more the perceived potential of the top pairs rather than what they showed on the ice. (Maybe they learned from the past, because couples like Vygalova/Zakroev and Fedorova/Miroshkin never made the transition to seniors from exactly the same reason, even though they were so successful on junior level). But I suppose there is no point to complain, as long as they had their chance in JGP events.

hanca

Values her privacy
So Tutberidze has the whole podium at junior ladies JGPF and top spot at senior ladies (and that’s with her number two senior lady, not the top lady). I wonder whether she should start coaching ice dance in Russia.

Marta24

So Tutberidze has the whole podium at junior ladies JGPF and top spot at senior ladies (and that’s with her number two senior lady, not the top lady). I wonder whether she should start coaching ice dance in Russia.
Junior ice dance is doing quiet well. :D I`ve to say that I find this year`s junior teams more exciting to follow than the seniors. The fight for the Junior Worlds team at Junior Russian Nats is going to be pretty exciting.

hanca

Values her privacy
Junior ice dance is doing quiet well. :D I`ve to say that I find this year`s junior teams more exciting to follow than the seniors. The fight for the Junior Worlds team at Junior Russian Nats is going to be pretty exciting.
I was more thinking about the senior ice dance... mind you, she also seems to have plenty to do in men category, so maybe she shouldn’t get distracted by ice dance yet.

caseyedwards

I was more thinking about the senior ice dance... mind you, she also seems to have plenty to do in men category, so maybe she shouldn’t get distracted by ice dance yet.
Her extreme focus on exploiting COP to maximize most points would be so different in Russian ice dance. She might demand both dancers have talent!

Ka3sha

One more reason to uber Kostornaia, here’s her interview with Cathy Reed
https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=b6OeeTs1Glo

And speaking about Eteri and her training methods, i find this part of Ermolina’s interview with Kostornaia very interesting (thanks to @quiqie for translation):
Q: So you switched, and?
A: I knew that Eteri Georgievna is very demanding. When I came for a tryout, I skated a bit, ice time was over, and I was told that I am kind of in. But I had to skate at one more competition for my old school, «Tchaikovskaya's skate», and after that it was done. I skated with Eteri Georgievna for a week, and then she said yes.
In the beginning, when I first started in the new group, for about three months I was just doing jumps. I liked it. Some things I didn't qiute understand back then. I saw the girls skating during practices, doing free program run-throughs, correcting mistakes, if Eteri Georgievna didn't like something, repeating it again. It seemed easy enough. Only in Novogorsk, when I had my programs choreographed, I realised how hard it was to skate it time after time.

Q: Didn't you train like that before?
A: I did train before, but not doing full run-throughs every day, and repeating if something goes wrong. For example, if I missed the jump in the program, I would do it again, and that was it. Here, if I miss a jump, I repeat the whole program.
I do lots of repeats at practices, but after that the competition is a cake walk: you go out and skate without even getting out of breath.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Her extreme focus on exploiting COP to maximize most points would be so different in Russian ice dance. She might demand both dancers have talent!
That’s a stupid thing to say. Exploiting COP. And here I thought that the goal of the majority athletes is to win. If one needs to get more points tha their competitors, it makes sense to carefully study the rules and figure out how to achieve that. It is not called exploiting the COP, it is competing within the rules.

caseyedwards

That’s a stupid thing to say. Exploiting COP. And here I thought that the goal of the majority athletes is to win. If one needs to get more points tha their competitors, it makes sense to carefully study the rules and figure out how to achieve that. It is not called exploiting the COP, it is competing within the rules.
So I would replace exploit with maximize

hanca

Values her privacy
So I would replace exploit with maximize
That’s better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with maximising the points. Quite on the contrary, if one wants to win, it would be stupid not to try to get as many points as one is capable to achieve. I am not sure if you really understand that it is not only about being clever and finding out how to get the extra points, but the skater needs to be able to skate the program with all those extra things. For example, no point moving all your jumps to the second half of the program to earn the extra points, if the skater doesn’t have the stamina to land all those jumps in the second half of the program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information