From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

whiteskates

Their relationship is like a romantic fairy tale. I wish I understood Russian. Could someone who does please let us know if there is anything new and particularly interesting in the article? I can't stand google translates!

hanca

Values her privacy
Technically speaking, Ilinykh and Evdokimova/Bazin have not qualified to Nationals :rolleyes:
To be fair, the selection has some serious flaws. Solovieva/Vlasenko had significantly better results than Safronova/Zimnin and Morozov/Bagin, and yet ended below them on the qualifying order because they had much harder events and had worse placements.

It doesn’t help if someone get easily first place in their events because there is no one competing who can actually skate, and someone else has to fight with those teams who had GP events. If you get 2-3 of those teams in your events, you won’t qualify for nationals because someone else was lucky and didn’t have them. Why would a couple who scores 109 and 106 be on the qualifying result list above a couple who scored 139 and 143? Similarly, a couple who scored 126 and 135 is above a couple who scored 146 and 155.

Ka3sha

To be fair, the selection has some serious flaws. Solovieva/Vlasenko had significantly better results than Safronova/Zimnin and Morozov/Bagin, and yet ended below them on the qualifying order because they had much harder events and had worse placements.
Sure, but all three teams did 2 Russian Cup events, while Elena and Anton took part at only one RC event (in Kazan) and Evdokimova/Bazin skated only in Tallinn last weekend. According to the rules, Russian cup events are the only way to qualify to Nationals for those, who doesn't have GP assignments.
Last year Popova/Mozgov didn't qualify to Nationals because they withdrew from their second RC event after the SD due to Sergei’s injury (they were on the podium at their first event). They also took part at their third RC event in Moscow and won it, but that result wasn't taken into the consideration.
I understand that E/B had an injury and Challenger event was far more important for them in order to get SB and points. But I just think that it's not completely fair to make such exceptions for some skaters and be very strict with others :rolleyes:

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Sure, but all three teams did 2 Russian Cup events, while Elena and Anton took part at only one RC event (in Kazan) and Evdokimova/Bazin skated only in Tallinn last weekend. According to the rules, Russian cup events are the only way to qualify to Nationals for those, who doesn't have GP assignments.
Last year Popova/Mozgov didn't qualify to Nationals because they withdrew from their second RC event after the SD due to Sergei’s injury (they were on the podium at their first event). They also took part at their third RC event in Moscow and won it, but that result wasn't taken into the consideration.
I understand that E/B had an injury and Challenger event was far more important for them in order to get SB and points. But I just think that it's not completely fair to make such exceptions for some skaters and be very strict with others :rolleyes:
There is a requirement to qualify through Russian cups, but no one says that a couple (or single skater) has to do two cups. They are allowed to compete at max two cups (or the results from first two cups they compete in will be taken into account), but at the same time, if they gather enough points from one cup to qualify, they are in. For example, first place is for 18 points. If a couple competed at two cups and placed at both cups seventh, they will have only 8+8 points, which is less than the skater/s who did only one cup and won. Popova/Mozgov were unlucky that that their one event last years didn’t give them enough points to get in because there weree enough dance couples who were competing at the Russian cups and qualified for nationals. Ilynikh/Shibnev are lucky because there is no one else this season. It is awful thing to say, but that’s the reality.

Besides, Lozko did only one event for senior nationals last year and yet got pass from the federation and was allowed to compete at the senior nationals. So why it is ok for Lozko and not OK for Ilynikh?

Bellanca

By having Med speak, you humanize the decision, in an attempt and effort to take away the sting of politics. Here is a young woman who can say 'hey, I'm not doping, my teammates are not and have not doped' etc. etc, look beyond the offenders and see the honorable competitors, competitors that have not and will not cheat.' It is a powerful and persuasive discussion to engage in. A smart and effective move.

lala

Can she say "he's not my president" but "this is my country and my flag"
I hardly believe it. Most of the Russian top athletes admire their president so much. That is one thing what we think about Putin but they live their they have experiences about the life in Russia. Or they don't have another person who could be more convincing how great Russia is! and the Russian problems will be solved. Some days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcKcdE4F0Fv/? - I appreciate and respect our President for everything he does for Russia. For his high professionalism in politics, in the management of our state. Every day he proves by deed that Russia was, is and will be a great country! Today I am in the Putin Team to support the President as a sportsman, as a citizen of his country! (google translate)
I think the Russians don't have experiences what is the real democracy. They had no time. They see the progress in the cities what is obvious.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Popova sounds much better than I expected. I might end up liking her.
The host (female at least), on the other hand, sounds horrible

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
That one was pretty cool, but no thanks to the hosts. If they get a skater who is not that open minded, so confident, well spoken and funny it will be endlessly tedious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information