From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Not a surprise. He's been injured all season and wasn't in shape to return. I understand why they felt they had to do so, but, I do hope he can finally get it together at Nationals. Unfortunately, that's only a month away. He is doomed in regards to the Olympics.

Ka3sha

Is the Russian cup series over? Did Morozova/Bagin qualify to the Nationals?
Yes, they have qualified. Interesting situation with Ilinykh/Shibnev: they won one event (in Kazan) but didn’t skate in Moscow this week (or in Tallinn), so in theory they haven’t qualified to Nationals :shuffle:

Amy L

My understanding of Russian is 40% at best, so no translations from me.

I was surprised to see a clip of Liza Kulik speaking in Russian, that was really nice. Ilia Averbukh pointed out that she had an American accent. :lol:

There was a clip of Gordeeva/Grinkov, with a voiceover about how she coached them to 2 Olympic medals, which of course is wrong, she only coached them for a few years in the pro ranks, and TAT was yelling at the screen "NOT TRUE!!!" She made sure that Marina Zueva had the credit for that.

When did Evgeny Platov get old??

There seemed to be a funny story about the PASHA, but I didn't catch most of it.

Thanks for the link, that was fun.. or at least the part I understood was!

valenc

@Amy L - thanks! That was still 39% more than what I got. ;)

To my untrained American ears, Liza's Russian sounds much better than Daria's. I do wonder why she - Liza, that is - isn't competing this year.

Platov has aged but hey, at least still has his hair and no pot belly!

Amy L

Andrei Minenkov is kind of a silver fox.

I think that Andrei Bukin looks better as an older man. When I was a kid I thought he had scary murder eyes, but he's softened up a lot and seems like a very sweet man (I'm sure he was always nice, but he really had scary eyes :lol:)

valenc

I think that Andrei Bukin looks better as an older man. When I was a kid I thought he had scary murder eyes, but he's softened up a lot and seems like a very sweet man (I'm sure he was always nice, but he really had scary eyes :lol:)

I will absolutely second this. B&B used to scare the crap out of me. They both looked half-crazed (proof) and often had the music to go with it. They scared me off ice dance for years and years.

Marco

GP scorecard:

Medvedeva and Zagitova win two events each, and Sotskova win two silvers in her events, all three qualify to GPF. Tsurskaya and Radionova medal once and are probably still in the running. Pogorilaya, Leonova and Tuktamysheva, with no medals under their belts, are unlikely to advance past Nationals. This is especially since Leonova actually skated pretty cleanly in both events and Tuk in one event and they were both still far from the podium.

legjumper

I was surprised to see a clip of Liza Kulik speaking in Russian, that was really nice. Ilia Averbukh pointed out that she had an American accent. :lol:

I can't remember if it was in Gordeeva's book or an interview, but I remember Katia saying about Daria that they spoke Russian at home. Presumably that hasn't changed with Liza. :)

Bellanca

A bit off the current topic, but the look on Polina's face after her Skate America SP had me feeling so badly for her. Things were going along well, and then...

Polina’s FS, however, :cheer2: was smooth, well executed and controlled - quite lovely. She is a beautiful skater, without a doubt, and I certainly hope she doesn't let Skate America shake her up too much, which I doubt, as Polina is just getting started. The secret to her future success – stay healthy!!

BTW, no Eteri :glamor: with Polina @ the comp? :blah: That sucks!

zoe111

A bit off the current topic, but the look on Polina's face after her Skate America SP had me feeling so badly for her. Things were going along well, and then...

Polina’s FS, however, :cheer2: was smooth, well executed and controlled - quite lovely. She is a beautiful skater, without a doubt, and I certainly hope she doesn't let Skate America shake her up too much, which I doubt, as Polina is just getting started. The secret to her future success – stay healthy!!

BTW, no Eteri :glamor: with Polina @ the comp? :blah: That sucks!
The coaching team always split up going to assignments. Dudakov has been at comps a lot with Polina in the past and appears to be a good calming influence.

Amantide

He looked like Ivan The Terrible, in the movie, but I loved that. :D I always loved Nikolay Cherkasov,:swoon: therefore I used to see Bukin as his version on ice.

There seemed to be a funny story about the PASHA, but I didn't catch most of it.

Where is she now, what is she doing? I really do miss here and she has a lot to teach to skaters today.

Amantide

they didn't say much except for her not doing anything related to figure skating and raising a daughter. Apparently Platov is in touch with her and talks to her on the phone once in a while. Tarasova is not.

Thank you TAHbKA.
Such a pity. I'm sure she's happy with whatever she's doing in her life, and I do wish her all the best. But I think she would've been a great asset to the skating world as a coach. Although you never know, coaching is a different thing and it doesn't automatically mean that a great skater will be a great coach as well.

Bellanca

The coaching team always split up going to assignments. Dudakov has been at comps a lot with Polina in the past and appears to be a good calming influence.
Yeah, I agree ... and had concluded that to have been the case. It's a good strategy. I can't say that I blame Polina for desiring a more calming coaching presence. Not that Eteri isn't, necessarily. I'm just happy to hear that Eteri didn't miss Skate America due to a mani-pedi appointment - or something... :glamor: I'm kidding!! ;) :p

Last edited:

Amantide

I love Polina. She is my favorite among the ladies. I am really sorry to not see her in the GPF but she is young and she has just started. I would love for her a long and great career like Kostner. Therefore, I wish her all the best luck and stay healthy. :cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information