From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
I think Eteri’s secret is really just demanding a lot out of her girls and teaching them how to train well. These girls all seem very focused and determined, not just about their skating but about everything really. It’s not really necessary to speak English in Russia but the fact that so many of these young girls do speak it so well, while shining in competition and keeping up with their training and presumably school studies really says a lot about the standards they hold themselves too.

Doesn’t Zagitova live in Moscow alone? I heard in some interview that she did and her parents are still in Udmurtia. I can’t imagine doing that at 15 but she clearly does a good job taking care of herself.

Ka3sha

Doesn’t Zagitova live in Moscow alone? I heard in some interview that she did and her parents are still in Udmurtia. I can’t imagine doing that at 15 but she clearly does a good job taking care of herself.
Not alone, she is with her grandmother in Moscow, while her mother, father and younger sister, who is also a figure skater, live in Udmurtia.

Found Alina’s interview from last December, where she talks about her family and first steps on the ice
http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/265...eli-menya-nazvali-v-chest-aliny-kabaevoj.html

I didn’t know, that she started skating at 7

Last edited:

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Not alone, she is with her grandmother in Moscow, while her mother, father and younger sister, who is also a figure skater, live in Udmurtia.

Found Alina’s interview from last December, where she talks about her family and first steps on the ice
http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/265...eli-menya-nazvali-v-chest-aliny-kabaevoj.html

I didn’t know, that she started skating at 7

Thanks for the update. I imagine living away from your parents and sister at 15 is still pretty hard, even if your grandmother is with you. I remember she was crying about it in that documentary/interview with Evgenia and Eteri.

ChiquitaBanana

I think Eteri’s secret is really just demanding a lot out of her girls and teaching them how to train well. These girls all seem very focused and determined, not just about their skating but about everything really.

This, plus the fact she has donzen of skaters wanting to skate for her, so she can choose the more coachable and talented ones.

Madison25

Areski

Compared to Cathy? I would think so. Trusova is actually taller than Kostornaia - she's 4'10".

Keep in mind that this data is not updated all the time, Kostornaia is growing. There are some skaters that give impression that they're taller than they really are too - some of them more, some of them less ... (actually most of them too, also because blades / boots add some visual height).

skatingguy

decently
Keep in mind that this data is not updated all the time, Kostornaia is growing. There are some skaters that give impression that they're taller than they really are too - some of them more, some of them less ... (actually most of them too, also because blades / boots add some visual height).
Oh certainly, and at that age they may change height from week to week, and both skaters are within an inch of each other so depending on the angle of the picture can change the height differential between two people.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Alina, Alena, Elena, must be the Russian equivalent of Kaitlyn or Megan or Emily with it's various spellings. :lol:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think Alena/Aljona is a different name than Elena (Yelena). Isn't the first spelled the same way in Cyrillic, with different renderings in Roman, especially where markings are inconsistently printed?

skatingguy

decently
I think Alena/Aljona is a different name than Elena (Yelena). Isn't the first spelled the same way in Cyrillic, with different renderings in Roman, especially where markings are inconsistently printed?
I don't know a lot about Russian names but a Latvian on a tennis site that I post to was talking about Jelena Ostapenko (French Open Champion from Latvia) and that her family calls her Alona. She couldn't officially be named Alona because it's not recognized by Latvia as an official name, and that Alona is Ukrainian name. Apparently all those names - Alona, Alena, Aljona - are all variations on a theme.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
According to the fsskate.ru site

Leonova's first name is Алёна, which, if I understand correctly, is pronounced Aliona/Aljona.

Zagitova's first name is Алина.

Berezhnaia's first name is Елена.

There are names with different spellings that are pronounced the same way, like Ann/Anne vs. similar and related names that are pronounced differently, like Anne/Anna.

Last edited:

Loves_Shizuka

I don't know a lot about Russian names but a Latvian on a tennis site that I post to was talking about Jelena Ostapenko (French Open Champion from Latvia) and that her family calls her Alona.

I have heard the same thing (though I've heard Ostapenko spells her first name "Aljona")

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
According to the fsskate.ru site

Leonova's first name is Алёна, which, if I understand correctly is pronounced Aliona/Aljona.

Zagitova's first name is Алина.

Berezhnaia's first name is Елена.

There are names with different spellings that are pronounced the same way, like Ann/Anne vs. similar and related names that are pronounced differently, like Anne/Anna.

I really feel that a lot of Russian names should use ' y'instead of 'i' when they write them in English. Like Katya is closer to the pronunciation than Katia, and Alyona is closer than Aliona (or Alena)Ilya is closer than Ilia. The e with two dots on top is pronounced 'yo', so the 'io' doesn't sound accurate to me. However, that's how they choose to do it. That's why I like to see the names in Cyrillic, instead of relying on English.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Alina, Alena, Elena, must be the Russian equivalent of Kaitlyn or Megan or Emily with it's various spellings. :lol:
Alina is a different name, sometimes Lina is a short for that (but then Lina can be a name of it's own or a short for, say, Evelina); Alona or Alena or the German spelling of the same - Aljona are sometimes a name of their own and sometimes a short for Elena. Lena is also short of Elena and the Ukranians, I think, use Olena as well (just like Alexandr and Alexey become Olexandr and Olexii etc).
Bottom line: don't try to figure the Russian names and the shortcuts. There is no logic.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Alina is a different name, sometimes Lina is a short for that (but then Lina can be a name of it's own or a short for, say, Evelina); Alona or Alena or the German spelling of the same - Aljona are sometimes a name of their own and sometimes a short for Elena. Lena is also short of Elena and the Ukranians, I think, use Olena as well (just like Alexandr and Alexey become Olexandr and Olexii etc).
Bottom line: don't try to figure the Russian names and the shortcuts. There is no logic.
:lol: There isn't with US names either. I have four different versions of the same name in my current sophomore class.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

One of my Russian teachers always said- Don't ask why. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information