From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

AnaBanana

I like Bobrova/Soloviev`s FD, it suits them and is miles better than that weird Bird program from 2014. The Short Dance is bad though, but Latin isn`t exactly their strong suit. I think any rhythm would have been better for them than Latin American.
I think it has a lot to do with a very strong influence of ballroom dancing in Russia and as that approach to Latin dance sinks into figure skating, they lack a more authentic, or as some call it "urban social latin dance" approach to those styles. It's like, you look at the salsa world champions from Cali, Colombia and then the Russian Latin Ballroom world champions and those are like, two worlds apart.

Meanwhile, there is a myriad styles of salsa being developed across Latin America and other huge latin dance epicenters, like NYC, Miami, or LA (and maybe, arguably, Houston) and the Latin Ballroom dance is like crystalized in time - same old overacting, overreacting, and meaningless overdrama except now it's all over the place - in the FS, in DWTS, and on all kinds of other TV shows and media outlets. I wonder why the authentic Latin Dance is still not making it into the expressive sports like FS and why this year's program are so monopolized by the ballroom approach to it (especially so among the Russian ice dancers).

P.S. I said "meaningless" because there is a ton of history and culture in the actual authentic Latin dances. For example, in Cali and across some souther regions of Colombia it has historically been associated with a very nuanced racial history where in some events, for example, the dance was performed at the <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacks_and_Whites'_Carnival ">Blacks and Whites' Carnival</a> while people were throwing back and white powder at each other - in a way, it was done to symbolize that unique moment when everyone's faces become whatever color because of the powder and the race stops to matter, the society is celebrating the point of cohesion and unity devoid at least for that second of racism and discrimination. Can ballroom Latin dance provide the same level of meaning? Not in this world.

Coquelicot14

what was previously lauded as "Russian frankness" has now seen by many as negativity, bullying, tackiness and like I said, it lack civility, politeness, and class.

Maybe we should all just stick to the standard phrases like:
"I am just here to have fun, enjoy myself"
"I compete against myself"
"She looks like she is having fun"

And keep it at that?
Why even bother speaking at all... we can just assume all those things once and for all, and be silent.

I am not saying people have to be rude, but a little frankness isn't going to hurt, it is honest and can be beneficial. We are not in kindergarten to have our feelings be so fragile.

was surprised to find out it was "nice" to listen to her because there was no said negativity, unnecessary criticism, disrespect, discriminatory comments, comments about someone's weight that contribute to the problem of anorexia in Russian FS, .

Hmmm... how do you explain the other countries' FS "problem of anorexia" (Jamie Silverstein) Gracie Gold's eating disorder? Was that also caused by Russian commentators?

Hmm after reading all this, are you also going to accuse me of a mean post? Or can I just say I am a victim of Russian frankness...

skatingguy

decently
I think the most realistic jump layout for Tuk would be:

3a
3z
3f

BONUS:
3t3t
3z2t2r
3r
3s--2a

Significantly riskier, but it should net her a few more points, at least.

But layback level 2 and an uninspired performance probably hurt her more than the jump layout today. Radionova's technique is such a hot mess (and her basic skating looks more labored than Tuk's to me as well) but her ability to sell the hell out of the program transcends those major flaws.
Would she be better off with a 3z+2T and then do the 2A+1Lo+3S? I think she'd score more points with the 3 combos instead 2 combos and one sequence.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover

And keep it at that?
Why even bother speaking at all... we can just assume all those things once and for all, and be silent.
This more or less sums up all the Ilinykh's mixed zone interviews at the Olympics. At some point I typed down her answers BEFORE going to the mixed zone and listening to what she actually said, when back to the press room I just had to hit the `send' button. It was all `we are so proud to skate here, we are so proud to represent out country, it is such a great venue'. FWIW in Sheffield Europeans Katsalapov tried answering a question during the small medals ceremony (which was held in the hallway and all the fans could take photos/ask questions) and boy, were we lucky having Ilinykh doing all the talking....

Yehudi

AITA

And keep it at that?
Why even bother speaking at all... we can just assume all those things once

Exactly. Viktor Adoniev did the commentary for the short dance and managed to sound informative without sounding like a banshee or spending significant time gossiping with Lipnitskaya. He could point out elements and explain levels.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying @poths comment and @zoe111's reply from the U.S. Ladies thread to here:
Zagitova is changing the game with composition, so much so they'll have to bring in a new rule to counter act the back end loading. She's literally changing the sport.
I don’t think it is Zagitova changing the sport. Most of Eteri ‘s kids have programs choreographed that way and I think at least two of her juniors are better than Zagitova on a number of fronts even though they are still quite young. Trusova (link below) is going to be fabulous and so is Kostornaya. I think they are both more musical than Zagitova, in particular Kostornaya.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVHFvhjLCI
Cross-posting this Kolyada article and summary from the Cup of China subforum in Kiss & Cry:
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1057164395.html

Choreographer Ilia Averbukh commented on Mikhail Kolyada's victory at the Cup of China.

"Of course it's a pleasant surprise. Congratulations to Mikhail and his coach on this great result but I wouldn't overplay its significance because mostly this is due to the poor showing of his competitors. And his free skate wasn't perfect.

Unfortunately, the programs weren't flawless--you can't fight for the top spots with two pops, these slipups are unacceptable. But a good performance could count on an Olympic medal.

Kolyada added that he has shown his potential and if he lands everything, he could be in the top three at the Olympics. But he needs to keep his confidence up from competition to competition--potentially he is very strong," said Averbukh.

Can't argue with any of this.

Last edited:

SCeline

When and where is Russian nationals? Will the federation "name" the Olympic team at the conclusion of that event? Or will Europeans serve as a contingency 'tie break' type factor (akin to how I believe World teams are sometimes determined)?

Ka3sha

When and where is Russian nationals? Will the federation "name" the Olympic team at the conclusion of that event? Or will Europeans serve as a contingency 'tie break' type factor (akin to how I believe World teams are sometimes determined)?
St Petersburg, December 21-24 :)
Don't think so, they usually names 2 skaters after Nationals and the third one after Euros

Marco

Not a big fan of Kolyada. Great jumps, awesome speed, but terrible delivery and presentation. I am confused by the high PCS. I suppose it means he will go to the Olympics and will skate at the team event.

I don't know who I would rather be the second men's entry. Anyone but Samarin really. Too bad Kovtun and Aliev are both so inconsistent. I like Aliev the best.

As with Kolyada, the PCS monster went full out for Zagitova. I suppose one can't really challenge the TES, but the PCS is so unreasonably high. She hits the accents alright but (for me anyways) she just doesn't engage in her programs. The parts are just the parts. There is no sum, no continuity.

I am surprised that Tuktamysheva went essentially clean and only placed 7th. These things didn't matter in 2015 but the poor quality of her non jump elements, the mediocre skating skills and the lack of complexity in her programs are finally costing her, and it's too late to fix them. With her placement in China (esp since she was already skating close to her best in years), I would expect her stock would totally go down in the eyes of the RUS Fed. Separately, I think she may consider swapping out the layback in the short since it is no longer required and it hurts her back doing it just as much as it hurts our eyes watching her do it.

Radionova is a miracle kid. She is the Russian Ashley Wagner. So limited in talent and abilities yet gritted out performances after performances for medals. I think her stock is still alive and much more so than Tuktamysheva's.

Half way through the GP season, my pick for the RUS ladies team would be Medvedeva, Zagitova and Sotskova. Sotskova is more consistent and has better skating skills and posture than Radionova. Alas, in my view, Tuktamysheva and Pogorilaya's time is over.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think Medvedeva and Zagitova are on the team. I figured that before the season ever started. :lol: I'm waiting to see if Turskaya knocks out Sotskova. She's done very well in the internal comps and her GP events are upcoming. The 3rd spot is still up for grabs. I'd like it to be Radionova, but she's going to have to slug it out at RuNationals for the spot. Sotskova is more consistent, but Radionova is a fighter. Turskaya has Eteri backing her. It would be :eek: if all three ladies are hers. Or maybe not considering 4/5 at the JGPF are all Team Eteri. They just crush everybody else.

lala

Not a big fan of Kolyada. Great jumps, awesome speed, but terrible delivery and presentation. I am confused by the high PCS. I suppose it means he will go to the Olympics and will skate at the team event.

I don't know who I would rather be the second men's entry. Anyone but Samarin really. Too bad Kovtun and Aliev are both so inconsistent. I like Aliev the best.

As with Kolyada, the PCS monster went full out for Zagitova. I suppose one can't really challenge the TES, but the PCS is so unreasonably high. She hits the accents alright but (for me anyways) she just doesn't engage in her programs. The parts are just the parts. There is no sum, no continuity.

I am surprised that Tuktamysheva went essentially clean and only placed 7th. These things didn't matter in 2015 but the poor quality of her non jump elements, the mediocre skating skills and the lack of complexity in her programs are finally costing her, and it's too late to fix them. With her placement in China (esp since she was already skating close to her best in years), I would expect her stock would totally go down in the eyes of the RUS Fed. Separately, I think she may consider swapping out the layback in the short since it is no longer required and it hurts her back doing it just as much as it hurts our eyes watching her do it.

Radionova is a miracle kid. She is the Russian Ashley Wagner. So limited in talent and abilities yet gritted out performances after performances for medals. I think her stock is still alive and much more so than Tuktamysheva's.

Half way through the GP season, my pick for the RUS ladies team would be Medvedeva, Zagitova and Sotskova. Sotskova is more consistent and has better skating skills and posture than Radionova. Alas, in my view, Tuktamysheva and Pogorilaya's time is over.

I agree my greatest favorite is Aliev in this season. But I disagree on Kolyada. He has weird choreography but he is a good performer.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I agree my greatest favorite is Alieve in this season. But I disagree on Kolyada. He has weird choreography but he is a good performer.
I preferred Kolyada's last years programmes, both SP and LP. This year is ok, not as interesting, but he is a good performer, as you said. He looks harmonious with the music, partially because his figure is very well proportioned. I don't have 2nd favorite yet, but hope it is not Kovtun (never liked his skating).

lala

I preferred Kolyada's last years programmes, both SP and LP. This year is ok, not as interesting, but he is a good performer, as you said. He looks harmonious with the music, partially because his figure is very well proportioned. I don't have 2nd favorite yet, but hope it is not Kovtun (never liked his skating).
I agree with your every word.:) ...oh, no ..my biggest favorite is Aliev. I like his fragile look and his style..

Tinami Amori

I agree with your every word.:) ...oh, no ..my biggest favorite is Aliev. I like his fragile look and his style..
It's not about Kolyada's physical attractiveness as a man, it's about "balance of proprotions" in his body that makes his moves more aesthetically pleasing.
http://www.bostonherald.com/sites/d...93e23d84818b9266f20a8484a17.jpg?itok=hO6intXx
http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...35a5668eee101db00/1451056707472/?format=1000w

As great of a skater Patrick Chan is, he does not look aesthetically pleasing on ice (to me) because of his short stocky legs which are too short for his torso... http://www.insideskating.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/3-Patrick-Chan-SP-2016-Finlandia-Trophy.jpg

Kovtun's butt and waist are too big... he always looks like he ate a healthy dinner.
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/ISU+World+Figure+Skating+Championships+2014+6NSLdWXlJ-Dx.jpg

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

On the NBC broadcast this weekend Tara Lipinski said Kolyada reminded her a lot of Ilia Kulik. She mentioned the spring in his jumps, the air position and the way he carried himself in his movements. I totally see it myself the more I think about it :cool:

lala

On the NBC broadcast this weekend Tara Lipinski said Kolyada reminded her a lot of Ilia Kulik. She mentioned the spring in his jumps, the air position and the way he carried himself in his movements. I totally see it myself the more I think about it :cool:
I think so, too! even his face reminds me to Kulik

Marco

I do too, except I feel Kulik moves along so beautifully and has interesting choreography and nice carriage.

What if Kolyada goes to Tarasova?

Last edited:

FSfan107

I think so, too! even his face reminds me to Kulik

I thought the same thing regarding their physical resemblance. He has that same baby face Kulik has.

zoe111

I think Medvedeva and Zagitova are on the team. I figured that before the season ever started. :lol: I'm waiting to see if Turskaya knocks out Sotskova. She's done very well in the internal comps and her GP events are upcoming. The 3rd spot is still up for grabs. I'd like it to be Radionova, but she's going to have to slug it out at RuNationals for the spot. Sotskova is more consistent, but Radionova is a fighter. Turskaya has Eteri backing her. It would be :eek: if all three ladies are hers. Or maybe not considering 4/5 at the JGPF are all Team Eteri. They just crush everybody else.
I am also so hoping for Tsurskaya as I think she’s great and has had such a bad time with injuries. Her Russian cup comp was clean in the FS for the first time in a while and her TES higher than Sot at Finlandia. She’s still super focused on just getting the jumps done in the long but hopefully with a few more outings she can pull up the PE part too.

whiteskates

I do too, except I feel Kulik moves along so beautifully and has interesting choreography and nice carriage.

He does resemble Kulik, yes, and I believe that Tarasova would be a good choice for him if she is interested.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Not going to happen because Misha has said multiple times that he will stay with his coach no matter what since she is like a second mother to him. Moreover, his big family is living near St. Petersburg and he seems to be a family person so I doubt he would leave them. Thank God.
Moreover...have you seen Tarasova's "latest" creations? Griazev, Gachinski and Kovtun have not particularly been super successful under her tutelage.

shady82

Sadly, many people have said that if Medvedeva and Zagitova go to the Olympics, it is unlikely for the No. 3 to also be a Tutberidze student. Could anyone clarify this point though? I would like for Polina to go though, she's my favorite Eteri student alongside Alina Kostornaia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information