From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

Loves_Shizuka

Sadly, many people have said that if Medvedeva and Zagitova go to the Olympics, it is unlikely for the No. 3 to also be a Tutberidze student. Could anyone clarify this point though? I would like for Polina to go though, she's my favorite Eteri student alongside Alina Kostornaia.

I keep hearing this.

And this is why Maria Sotskova, with her consistent skating, solid results and Buyanova/TAT connection is probably favourite for that third spot right now.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Sadly, many people have said that if Medvedeva and Zagitova go to the Olympics, it is unlikely for the No. 3 to also be a Tutberidze student. Could anyone clarify this point though? I would like for Polina to go though, she's my favorite Eteri student alongside Alina Kostornaia.
It's my speculation only and am not quite sure how the funding in Russia works, but I would assume having an Olympian is good for the club/coach. So Buyanova will do whatever she can to have one of her girls goign to the Olympics (and, obviously, if, say Sotskova goes and skates well she will be in top 10). On the other hand Tutberidze, who will have 2 girls going there anyway might demand some goods for herself/club/whatever if she does not make a fuss about her 3rd girl not going.
Am not sure it would be a bad thing, by the way. The last 4 years showed how litttle good it did to Russian pairs skating having all 3 top pairs in one team.

zoe111

It's my speculation only and am not quite sure how the funding in Russia works, but I would assume having an Olympian is good for the club/coach. So Buyanova will do whatever she can to have one of her girls goign to the Olympics (and, obviously, if, say Sotskova goes and skates well she will be in top 10). On the other hand Tutberidze, who will have 2 girls going there anyway might demand some goods for herself/club/whatever if she does not make a fuss about her 3rd girl not going.
Am not sure it would be a bad thing, by the way. The last 4 years showed how litttle good it did to Russian pairs skating having all 3 top pairs in one team.
I feel like, if she’s on form, that Tsurskaya is the better skater with higher scoring potential of the two. But she’s been off a long time. Impressed with the outings she’s had so far at internal Russian comps and keeping my fingers crossed for her.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I certainly understand the coach/club's investment in having someone on the team. Mozer certainly proved that if you have winning skaters, you get the funding. She went from little influence to having everything her skaters could want in three years with Volo/Trankov. Eteri's influx of talented juniors after Lipnitskaya's Olympic success has shown how things have shifted her way. That was abundantly clear on the JGP this season. But, for Turskaya's sake, I hope that she's not out because two of her training mates are in. And, I want someone else to have the 3rd spot (either Rad, Pogo or Tuk albeit I think Pogo has taken herself out and Tuk just can't compete with the current Russian crop or the Japanese youngsters for that matter), but Turskaya has had really bad luck with injuries and if she doesn't skate well, that's fine. I'd hate for her to be out just because if she does.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I'm sure there's all kinds of internal politics but the federation is also pragmatic and wants medals. If Polina were to come out and win both GPs and Eteri students sweep the podium at GPF and Euros, then I believe those three would go. If it's a matter of Polina or Maria going there to try for 8th place, then yeah I can see them picking by coach. It'd be a shame for Russia not to send three podium threats.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Mozer certainly proved that if you have winning skaters, you get the funding. She went from little influence to having everything her skaters could want in three years with Volo/Trankov.
I had an impression it was the other way around. I.e. Volosozhar/Trankov were Russia's only safe bet for a medal (don't think anyone counted on Sotnikova to win or Ilinykh/Katsalapov to medal, while Stolbova/Klimov only made it to the Oly because Kawaguti/Smirnov were injured) and got the funding, the everything they wanted so thye could just concentrate and skate. Stolbova/Klimov and Bazarova/Larionov jumped on that vagon and joined the club of `have everything just skate'. The last 3 years proved, imho, it's a bad idea having all the funding/skaters in one school, especially when the head of the school clearly can't figure who is her team n.1 and always bets on the wrong skater

zoe111

I'm sure there's all kinds of internal politics but the federation is also pragmatic and wants medals. If Polina were to come out and win both GPs and Eteri students sweep the podium at GPF and Euros, then I believe those three would go. If it's a matter of Polina or Maria going there to try for 8th place, then yeah I can see them picking by coach. It'd be a shame for Russia not to send three podium threats.
As much as I love Polina, she isn’t going to beat Med at nhk, but st SA I guess you never know. Where is Sotskova’s next GP? If it’s france, she’s unlikely to be 1st or 2nd with both Zagitova and Osmond there. So maybe it will come down to nationals depending on whether either of them make it to the gpf.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I had an impression it was the other way around. I.e. Volosozhar/Trankov were Russia's only safe bet for a medal (don't think anyone counted on Sotnikova to win or Ilinykh/Katsalapov to medal, while Stolbova/Klimov only made it to the Oly because Kawaguti/Smirnov were injured) and got the funding, the everything they wanted so thye could just concentrate and skate. Stolbova/Klimov and Bazarova/Larionov jumped on that vagon and joined the club of `have everything just skate'. The last 3 years proved, imho, it's a bad idea having all the funding/skaters in one school, especially when the head of the school clearly can't figure who is her team n.1 and always bets on the wrong skater
But, Mozer started getting that funding when Volo/Trank did so well at Worlds demonstrating they did have the goods to win the OGM. Compared to Kav/Smirnov who didn't do well the entire quad and then had an injury that kept them out of the Olympic team race. Vasiliev has said he was getting nothing and even Moskvina was coming up short. Of course, even Mozer is not getting what she had given the Olympics aren't in Russia for the foreseeable future. Russia has a wealth of ladies skaters from which to chose and there are any number who can be in the top 10 (with 2 very good chances at medals). Russian and Japan Nationals in ladies are the events to watch this season. Pity US nationals is just sort of :blah: Chen will go and we know the 3 dance teams. All the rest are just so-so. :lol: Canada's team is established except for a 2nd male. Maybe some interest in the not Duh/Rad pair selections. But Russia and Japan ladies teams are very interesting.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
As much as I love Polina, she isn’t going to beat Med at nhk, but st SA I guess you never know. Where is Sotskova’s next GP? If it’s france, she’s unlikely to be 1st or 2nd with both Zagitova and Osmond there. So maybe it will come down to nationals depending on whether either of them make it to the gpf.

It is France. But she could easily get bronze there -- she'd just have to fend off Mai and Tursy -- and with a silver and a bronze, she might make it to the GPF.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
On the NBC broadcast this weekend Tara Lipinski said Kolyada reminded her a lot of Ilia Kulik. She mentioned the spring in his jumps, the air position and the way he carried himself in his movements. I totally see it myself the more I think about it :cool:

The resemblance to Kulik was one of the first things I noticed, way back when he was still a junior. Then he had a season ending injury.
At the 2016 worlds many people noticed him and his resemblance to Kulik. He had a great Worlds.

I thought the same thing regarding their physical resemblance. He has that same baby face Kulik has.

Kulik is much taller than Misha, so I do t see the physical resemblance but he has a similar flare in his skating, and jump quality that Kulik had. Before he changed his hair style (this season), his face resembled Kulik from a distance.

He does resemble Kulik, yes, and I believe that Tarasova would be a good choice for him if she is interested.

Tarasova brought out the best in Yagudin, Klimova- Ponomarenko, but I was not that thrilled with her recent coaching. I even had doubts about her coaching Mao at the 2010. So I would say no to TAT at this point. I think whatever Misha is doing right now is working for him, but he does need consistency in his jumps to have any chance of making the podium at the world or Olympic level. He is my sentimental choice for an Olympic bronze in 2018.

I do like Aliev as well, but I don't think he is quite there yet for 2018. Hopefully in 2022 Russia will have a contender among men.

Tinami Amori

Eteri's influx of talented juniors after Lipnitskaya's Olympic success has shown how things have shifted her way.
You're right, Eteri certainly has things shifting her way, but for the record: Medvedeva, Zagitova, Sakhanovich and few other top girls who are currently skating, were in Eteri's group before or during Lipnitskaya's "high times" (2013 - 2015).

Within the last years Med and Zag were asked in an interview "how they felt during 2013/2014 when Eteri's full attention was on Lipnitskaya in prep for Olys and little time for them", and they said each in their own words "we understood, we just kept on practicing". So those who are Eteri's top girls now, did not came to her after Lip's fame, but prior to it.

Marco

Kolyada has solid basics and jumping technique so I wasn't really suggesting that he goes full time under Tarasova, who, as someone said earlier, hasn't had many successful male skaters in a long time and isn't really coaching anyways. I was suggesting that perhaps he could go to her for programs. I am not a huge fan of her programs either, but I feel like she can help him style-up a little and get rid of the cheesy. Then he would have EVERYTHING.

On the Eteri girls, I suppose if Tsurskaya skates well in her GPs and makes GPF ahead of Sotskova AND THEN ALSO skates well at Nationals, then who knows. Eteri basically dominates the senior and junior ladies scene now. I think it would be weird if a qualified girl skating well enough can't be sent simply because she shares the same coach as two other girls who are being sent. As much as I hate the stylings of Eteri girls, I do hope the selection is merit-based and if the top 3 girls are all hers, then so be it. I mean, it is not Eteri or Polina's fault that Tuk skated better than when she won Worlds and still only placed 7th, or that Rad had such a dicey axel and posture problems.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It is France. But she could easily get bronze there -- she'd just have to fend off Mai and Tursy -- and with a silver and a bronze, she might make it to the GPF.

Not likely as that is what Higuchi has and Wakaba will certainly end up with the higher point total in the end. Kostner with a silver is in and with a bronze would likely beat Sotskova as well on the tie-breaker unless there's a complete disaster. Medvedeva, Osmond, and Zagitova would only need a 4th place finish in their second events to pass her, and we haven't seen Miyahara or Tsurskaya yet. Wagner could even win Skate America and make it.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Kolyada has solid basics and jumping technique so I wasn't really suggesting that he goes full time under Tarasova, who, as someone said earlier, hasn't had many successful male skaters in a long time and isn't really coaching anyways. I was suggesting that perhaps he could go to her for programs. I am not a huge fan of her programs either, but I feel like she can help him style-up a little and get rid of the cheesy. Then he would have EVERYTHING.
I don't know, maybe I am alone on this, but I think that Kolyada's programs and packaging this season are far less cheesy than the crap TAT gave Kulik and Griazev to wear or skate to.

Xela M

But, Mozer started getting that funding when Volo/Trank did so well at Worlds demonstrating they did have the goods to win the OGM. Compared to Kav/Smirnov who didn't do well the entire quad and then had an injury that kept them out of the Olympic team race. Vasiliev has said he was getting nothing and even Moskvina was coming up short. Of course, even Mozer is not getting what she had given the Olympics aren't in Russia for the foreseeable future. Russia has a wealth of ladies skaters from which to chose and there are any number who can be in the top 10 (with 2 very good chances at medals). Russian and Japan Nationals in ladies are the events to watch this season. Pity US nationals is just sort of :blah: Chen will go and we know the 3 dance teams. All the rest are just so-so. :lol: Canada's team is established except for a 2nd male. Maybe some interest in the not Duh/Rad pair selections. But Russia and Japan ladies teams are very interesting.

Omg what are you talking about? US nationals in both men and ladies is as unpredictable as it ever was and in men the US actually have a number of real contenders (next to Chen)

NAOTMAA

Omg what are you talking about? US nationals in both men and ladies is as unpredictable as it ever was and in men the US actually have a number of real contenders (next to Chen)

I suppose in terms of the U.S. ladies its unpredictable for the wrong reasons. Or at least not in the way that make fans all excited.

In Russia the last spot is unpredictable because there are so many that are more then good enough to fill it. A few who would most certainly get in easily for any other country will be left home. Compared to the American ladies where the competition is tight not because the level is so high but because everybody is in the same frustrating rut. They won't be competing for medals

Obviously because of Nathan the U.S. men are in a better position then the ladies. Nathan actually has a legit shot at winning a medal. But in order to medal Jason would need some help (considering the splatfest the men are its not unrealistic at all) and the others need A LOT of help to come anywhere near the podium. The Russian men are a lot like the American ladies, everyone's at the same issues and there won't be any Olympic medals.

Last edited:

skatepixie

https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20171108/1128413312.html

Elena Ilinykh and her new partner...

MOSCOW, Nov 8 - R-Sport, Anatoly Samokhvalov. Olympic champion in figure skating in team competitions in 2014, bronze medalist of the Sochi Games in ice dancing Russian Elena Ilinikh told R-Sport that she and her new partner Anton Shibnev did their best at the debut competitions for them.
Ilinov and Shibnev on Wednesday took the first place in the fourth stage of the Russian Cup in Kazan, typing 147.64 points on the basis of short and arbitrary dances. Duet Ilyins / Shibnev formed in the past off-season after the end of his career as a partner of the Olympic champion Ruslan Zhiganshin. Shibnev previously appeared in a pair with Vasilisa Davankova. In October, Ilinov / Shibnev stopped working with trainers Svetlana Alekseeva and Elena Kustarova and started cooperation with Alexei Gorshkov.
"We are happy with the first start because we have made the maximum at the moment, but not supermaximum, because there was excitement, because we switched to another coach and completely changed the two programs," Ilyinikh said over the phone. "" The music was left to the programs the same, in an arbitrary Also there was the theme "Spartacus", but changed almost all the elements and provisions.
"We did not have time to invite someone, but Alexei Yurievich (Gorshkov) did the maximum work, and we did not even want to take on a new director," the agency interlocutor said. "During the period we ride around, he did simply impossible, for which he is greatly grateful. "
According to her, an arbitrary dance "moved last Friday, it was only a week to roll it." "It turned out better with the short, we changed it first, we made a lot of rentals." With arbitrary it turned out more difficult, but the way we gathered it today, despite the mistakes, we can say that we and the coach have an idea, like this one the program should look like ", added Ilyin.
"At the start in Kazan we were completely out of shape, we just had to make a rental and check it out in public." We have a great desire to perform at the Russian championship, "the skater emphasized." We are thinking about what we need to do to get there There is still time to get in shape. "

Rock2

I've been waiting for Tsurskaya for what feels like 2 years. Thank you, God, for sending her.
Not just because I LOVE her like I wanted to love Pogo but because finally a Russian lady has come along to show us what's wrong with ISU judging.

Sorry, folks, but I think she does Medvedeva better than Medvedeva other than the history of consistent jumping. It's like they fused the DNA of Med with a classic skater like Kadavy.

Better natural speed....and power in jumps (although to be fair I'd need to see them both live to compare), better back, better line, better extension, better positions, better musical interpretation. Other than a history of consistent jumping, just....better.

If ISU wants PCS to matter more going forward, we have to stop tying the scoring so tightly to TES prowess. Otherwise, just got back to 6.0

Go, Tsurskaya, for the 3rd spot!!!

chapis

I've been waiting for Tsurskaya for what feels like 2 years. Thank you, God, for sending her.
Not just because I LOVE her like I wanted to love Pogo but because finally a Russian lady has come along to show us what's wrong with ISU judging.

Sorry, folks, but I think she does Medvedeva better than Medvedeva other than the history of consistent jumping. It's like they fused the DNA of Med with a classic skater like Kadavy.

Better natural speed....and power in jumps (although to be fair I'd need to see them both live to compare), better back, better line, better extension, better positions, better musical interpretation. Other than a history of consistent jumping, just....better.

If ISU wants PCS to matter more going forward, we have to stop tying the scoring so tightly to TES prowess. Otherwise, just got back to 6.0

Go, Tsurskaya, for the 3rd spot!!!

Hard to believe that she is Eteri´s student. She is too much polished to be one of her students.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information