Football 2022-2023, Quarterbacks, Tight ends...men in tight pants

Badams

The Bills are headed home. They are not staying in Cincinnati. No idea what the heartless powers that be will decide about the game. Nobody cares at this point.
Seeing the response from the players last night, so many in tears, brought home to me the fact that these are very young men, usually in their 20s, playing this game, who have probably never seen any such situation before (and hopefully never will again).

I am hoping that they are doing what is known as "hypothermia protocol" on Hamlin, which is an induced state of hypothermia for 24 hours, then slowly rewarmed, to decrease the risk of anoxic brain injury (especially after such a long time of CPR). It is commonly done for witnessed cardiac arrests where the person is not waking up or following commands after resucitation. On young and reasonably healthy people like Hamlin, it can really help preserve brain function.

That's what they did when Kevin Everett was injured in Buffalo. He eventually walked again after being paralyzed from the neck down.

Cachoo

One thing that did surprise and I don't know whether this is usual or not but on GMA Robin Roberts was interviewing a man who is a close friend of the family and is at the hospital with the family. He said that Hamlin was awake before he was placed under sedation. Is that usual?

Cachoo

The Bills are headed home. They are not staying in Cincinnati. No idea what the heartless powers that be will decide about the game. Nobody cares at this point.

That's what they did when Kevin Everett was injured in Buffalo. He eventually walked again after being paralyzed from the neck down.
Oh but the NFL cares---why else would they add a game 17 to already brutal schedules? :angryfire

once_upon

Better off than 2020
One thing that did surprise and I don't know whether this is usual or not but on GMA Robin Roberts was interviewing a man who is a close friend of the family and is at the hospital with the family. He said that Hamlin was awake before he was placed under sedation. Is that usual?
I'm no expert and it's been years since I did clinical nursing, but besides the extended CPR/Anoxia, they may want to prevent a traumatic brain injury.

Plus "talking" can be a variety of speech. Glasgow scoring of 5 (coherent, speaking fluently) to score of 0 (non responsive). Scores of 2, may be some sort of noise, but not really anything.

REPEATING - I am not a CC nurse, nor did I hear Roberts statement.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I would imagine it was some nature of a ventricular fibrillation arrest based on the hit. CPR and AED use were indicated. I hope the family gets some answers soon
I listened to a cardiologist this morning who said the odds of a thoracic hit exactly in the the 30 millisecond cardiac cycle is so small, but that is a likely possibility of what happened. It's kind of like a cardiac thump in reverse. For the non medical types, if this was what happened, it's not a "heart attack or myocardiac infarct" where the coronary arteries block blood flow. Rather this is a disruption of the electrical cardiac cycle. There is a cardiac sequence that occurs in the heart muscle where the electrical signals to the atria and ventricles of the heart move in a sort of wave so they contract in sequence and oxygenated blood is sent through the body. The biggest concern now is how much damage was done to the brain from lack of oxygen. Hopefully, the reported CPR time actually includes time while the paramedics were getting IV lines started and pushing meds and doing defibrillation.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
"Awake" could just mean eyes open. I have no idea what they are doing with Hamlin or what his condition is, just extrapolating what would be common in the scenario that he wasn't awake and purposeful after his resuscitation. I'm hoping for the best for the young man and his family, and for all the players who had to witness this.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Sudden cardiac events during sports are not completely unknown and not confined to football. I know they have happened in Lacrosse and I believe soccer as well.

No matter what, it is a terrible experience and I feel for all the players who were there. I hope Hamlin will make a full recovery.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Seeing the response from the players last night, so many in tears, brought home to me the fact that these are very young men, usually in their 20s, playing this game, who have probably never seen any such situation before (and hopefully never will again).

I am hoping that they are doing what is known as "hypothermia protocol" on Hamlin, which is an induced state of hypothermia for 24 hours, then slowly rewarmed, to decrease the risk of anoxic brain injury (especially after such a long time of CPR). It is commonly done for witnessed cardiac arrests where the person is not waking up or following commands after resuscitation. On young and reasonably healthy people like Hamlin, it can really help preserve brain function.

The equipment used for hypothermia protocol is what my company makes for the healthcare community. I work in the customer support department helping with orders and doing other administrative work for our medical sales team, and I know for sure that UC has my company's equipment at their hospital (some of our sales reps just set them up with new equipment right before the holidays). That protocol has definitely saved many lives and helped patients have more complete recoveries over the years so I really hope that it has been part of his treatment here. 💖

myhoneyhoney

I listened to a cardiologist this morning who said the odds of a thoracic hit exactly in the the 30 millisecond cardiac cycle is so small, but that is a likely possibility of what happened. It's kind of like a cardiac thump in reverse. For the non medical types, if this was what happened, it's not a "heart attack or myocardiac infarct" where the coronary arteries block blood flow. Rather this is a disruption of the electrical cardiac cycle. There is a cardiac sequence that occurs in the heart muscle where the electrical signals to the atria and ventricles of the heart move in a sort of wave so they contract in sequence and oxygenated blood is sent through the body. The biggest concern now is how much damage was done to the brain from lack of oxygen. Hopefully, the reported CPR time actually includes time while the paramedics were getting IV lines started and pushing meds and doing defibrillation.
This is well know in Little League and Softball (at least in my area). An article regarding a teen who died.

Boy #2 was a pitcher and I refused to let him pitch if he didn’t wear a heart protector similar to this. Would it have prevented anything? I don’t really know, but if it did indeed deflect some of the force of the ball, that would have been better than nothing.

Badams

Hamlin is awake and neurologically intact! ETA: I am watching the news conference now and the doctors caring for him said he is able to communicate through writing, as he still has a breathing tube inserted, and he asked "did we win?" They told him HE won the game of life. :cry:

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
From the Bills' instagram:

Damar Hamlin is now able to communicate through writing and asked the doctors who won the game on Monday night.

The doctors answered, "Yes, Damar, you won. You won the game of life."

"We can't say enough about the quick actions of the Bills training staff and the physicians who were on the field." - Dr Timothy Pritts, MD

"It's not only that the lights are on. We know that Damar is home." - Dr Timothy Pritts, MD
"Damar is moving his hands and feet at this moment. The best outcome for him is to return to who he was before this happened." Dr William Knight IV, MD
Honestly, I near started crying at the bolded one. I was so worried about some of the language that was being used to describe his situation until this point, recognising the avoidant style, so to see this - that he is there, that he is himself, that he retains enough fine motor capability to write, that he knows who and where he is, that he is enough present to worry about who won the game - it feels so good to read.

Kasey

It's really the best outcome, and I'm so grateful for the very quick and efficient medical care that he received. My mom posted something about his recovery on my timeline, with several people talking about the "power of prayer". Well, the power of good medical care is up there too!

Badams

It's really the best outcome, and I'm so grateful for the very quick and efficient medical care that he received. My mom posted something about his recovery on my timeline, with several people talking about the "power of prayer". Well, the power of good medical care is up there too!
100%.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Best news possible! May he continue to have a speedy recovery!

canbelto

It's great that he can write. That means the brain damage is probably not all that extensive.

It's a different situation but this reminds me of Lamar Odom. Odom also was not expected to survive and was put in a coma but recovered and even was on Celebrity Big Brother 3.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I feel very grateful that Damar is ok, though he has many more steps to complete before he can be discharged from the hospital. I am cautiously optimistic for his future and i am not thinking of Football future.

I learned that the medical team routinely rehearses before a game and that must have been instrumental in saving his life. When it happened it had sounded very very bad (and it was). I do give credit to the spiritual aspect too, the prayers, the love he received from millions when he was in a very serious condition, his own good karma.

I think he was so lucky to be near the medical personnel, equipment, the UCMC being just 4 miles away. The NFL wisely waited for the ambulance to get there before announcing the game will not be resumed. So many good things happened which saved his life. It was like a miracle.

I am glad that he is able to speak and write. We will find out more as days go by. He sounds like such a nice guy! He is going to be shocked when he finds out how his gofundme drive for children’s toys is doing. The last I read, it had over 7 million dollars. He can do a lot of things with it to help others once he has fully recovered.

Last edited:

Lacey

I have heard conflicting stories about who started Damar's care on the field.

I heard someone restarted his heart within one minute, seems miraculous.

I heard it was someone on the staff, that they had just gotten new equipment in Dec.

Then I heard it was a doctor from the crowd, that they called out for help.

It doesn't matter, maybe it was a combination of both, all were heroic.

I am sure they will be recognized in time.

And each and every athletic field in the country should get new equipment and training.

Badams

I have heard conflicting stories about who started Damar's care on the field.

I heard someone restarted his heart within one minute, seems miraculous.

I heard it was someone on the staff, that they had just gotten new equipment in Dec.

Then I heard it was a doctor from the crowd, that they called out for help.

It doesn't matter, maybe it was a combination of both, all were heroic.

I am sure they will be recognized in time.

And each and every athletic field in the country should get new equipment and training.
It was Denny Kellington, assistant athletic trainer for Buffalo.

During the press conference, the doctors explained how the hour before the game started, they went over safety procedures. That they do this before every game in every stadium. Spectators don't know this or see this because it's behind the scenes preparation. But boy are we thankful for it. The doctors said this was absolutely a textbook case. That people will use this as a learning tool on what to do in such situations. Everything was done right.

Last edited:

barbk

It was Denny Kellington, assistant athletic trainer for Buffalo.

During the press conference, the doctors explained how the hour before the game started, they went over safety procedures. That they do this before every game in every stadium. Spectators don't know this or see this because it's behind the scenes preparation. But boy are we thankful for it. The doctors said this was absolutely a textbook case. That people will use this as a learning tool on what to do in such situations. Everything was done right.
It would be especially nice if figure skating learns some lessons about preparation and a pre-event medical briefing. A lot of the medical responses I've seen have been :eek:.

Kasey

I apologize for my obsessive sharing of all things Hamlin. Buffalo is my local team, and the Bills are basically everything to everyone here.

As a critical care nurse, I've been obsessed with this story as well. It shows the amazing outcome that can happen when all things medically fall into place. He's a very fortunate young man, and seems like a really remarkably nice one as well.

Debbie S

As expected, the Ravens are stinking up the joint in Cincinnati. :( I realize we're playing our 3rd string QB, who is a rookie, but it would be nice if the offensive line could help him out.

Looks like our first round playoff game next week will be in....Cincinnati, sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information